FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Playing like a bear - Brett Clarke

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing like a bear - Brett Clarke
    Posted: 08/24/2020 at 3:28pm
yes, it was a great trick to teach how to unlock the shoulder to prevent it from phagocytizing energy coming from the legs and passing through the hips, waist and torso.
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2020 at 3:03pm
Is this the "loop like a bear" video?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2014 at 1:34am
Muscle tension in the arm is the no.1 reason loops and flicks are flying long in a match. Even if you are normally relaxed in practice, you might still suffer from this during matches. We all get more or less nervous when the stakes are high. Goofiness aside, the advice is invaluable - even if somewhat wasted on some of the audience.

Still, it's just a tip and nothing more. It's up to the player to do the leg work.
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 9:23pm
I found Brett's way of teaching extraordinary. Xu Xin bear, snake serve, lizard serve...associations and visualizations are very important for memorize things. In last several years I've seen probably most of tt material on youtube, and read most of tt texts on whole net (excluding pips and antispin topics), all this sounds very logical when you watch/read it, and some of these are very informative, but only result is that I forget everything. But Xu Xin bear and snake service I cant forget, even worse, when I watch Xu Xin playing, I now watch him as long legged bear. Quality of teaching should be measured by how much you remember from teacher, not number of words in 5 min video, or something else. Best teachers I had on university used same associations methods.

Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
Brett Clarke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

@ Brett Clarke - Thanks for letting us know Brett...

Coaches around the world are now searching hi and low for LL Beary lookalikes...

Hi CraneStyle, LL Beary (Long Legged Beary) is an extremely rare breed, so their search will be in vain. High and low won't cut it this time!!! Months will quickly turn into years in some of the coldest places on earth. Dead

Edited by Brett Clarke - 11/21/2014 at 5:19pm
Table Tennis Videos by Brett Clarke
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 1:35pm
@ Brett Clarke - Thanks for letting us know Brett...

Coaches around the world are now searching hi and low for LL Beary lookalikes...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
boliao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 1:26am
Hahaha. Reminds me of the professor in Back to the Future Wink.

Appreciate your efforts and time in sharing the various videos Brett Thumbs Up Clap.
Also the thoughts that go into getting the message across Lamp.

I'm off to ... play like the bear ... play like the bear ... play like the bear ... play like the bear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Brett,
No offense in my 1st comment. It was pure satirical if you noticed the follow up (2nd) comment I made.

This video however is very informative and probably the best RPB serve tutorial out there on youtube. Thanks for the tutorial!

Hey DreiZ,

When one stands in front of a camera with a teddy bear, snake, mop or whatever and behaves in a certain way, they are asking for some mixed feedback. Absolutely no offense taken and I just laughed when I read your posts. Glad you liked the RPB serve tutorial from the website. I tend to find my sanity when making tutorial videos on that site, as slevin pointed out earlier

Cheers, Brett 
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by TTFrenzy TTFrenzy wrote:

I just noticed that Brett Clarke is a leftie in the match. In his serves tutorials he can serve superb  with his right ...omg

He flips the image for the videos because more players are right-handed.   I was amazed myself so he gave me the secret sauce.

I thought that also but then i kinda liked the belief of him being an amfidextrous

Edited by TTFrenzy - 11/20/2014 at 7:30pm
my TT blog!

Join & follow my TT blog ! Mental and Physi
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by TTFrenzy TTFrenzy wrote:

I just noticed that Brett Clarke is a leftie in the match. In his serves tutorials he can serve superb  with his right ...omg

He flips the image for the videos because more players are right-handed.   I was amazed myself so he gave me the secret sauce.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/20/2014 at 7:25pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 7:11pm
my TT blog!

TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Acid, you obviously have no idea who this guy is.  He played at the 2000 Olympics on Australian team, has played in main draw of Commonwealth games, and there is bunch of other stuff. 

Here is your wish granted --  from 200 5 semifinals of Australian Open.

Good FH from mr Clarke there but his BH is freakin awesome
my TT blog!

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 6:37pm
Brett,
No offense in my 1st comment. It was pure satirical if you noticed the follow up (2nd) comment I made.

This video however is very informative and probably the best RPB serve tutorial out there on youtube. Thanks for the tutorial!

Edited by DreiZ - 11/20/2014 at 6:40pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Hopper Hopper wrote:

Brett,

Please, keep pushing the limits !
Roaming the internet for table tennis related info for quite some years now but never had such a laugh (in combination with priceless knowledge) since your broadcasts. LOL

I assume TTEdge currently sees a big uprise in membership, with all table tennis lovers with a good sense for humor now joining the site.

Best regards (also to your bear, your snake, and the japanese ninja backspin service assistant),
Hopper

Hey Hopper, thanks for your post. You know, I'm not exactly sure where the limit is. I expected this video to polarize people somewhat. I'm shocked that I haven't received more negative feedback from other videos. I've just been waiting for someone to say, "To be honest... this dude freaks me out..." as per the second post here. 

To the person that posted my semi against Gerada in 2005, thanks for the reminder of a match long forgotten. I was leading 3-1 and 7-3 and lost. Gerada had an edge on me during our playing time together. He was ranked about 160-180 in the world at the time of the match. And, incidentally, he contacted me on FB as I was watching the replay above to laugh about the bear.

Cheers, Brett
Hopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 8:43am
Brett,

Please, keep pushing the limits !
Roaming the internet for table tennis related info for quite some years now but never had such a laugh (in combination with priceless knowledge) since your broadcasts. LOL

I assume TTEdge currently sees a big uprise in membership, with all table tennis lovers with a good sense for humor now joining the site.

Best regards (also to your bear, your snake, and the japanese ninja backspin service assistant),
Hopper

Edited by Hopper - 11/20/2014 at 8:48am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 4:43am
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

Teaching and making it memorable is a fine art...

I can't praise Brett enough for his unique and memorable delivery...

I just wondered how many Bears he tried before he found The Bear with a great Topspin stroke and angle ...

Hi CraneStyle, 

LL Beary is my only bear. 

Guys, I didn't expect everyone to like this video and it's totally cool. It definitely pushed the limits. If someone took a couple of positives, I'm more than happy with that. I did laugh a lot when I read through the posts here though.

Cheers, Brett
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Table Tennis Exhibition by PingSkills - YouTube
Does Alois know what he's talking about? Oh yes indeed! This clip is a masterclass in coming from behind.

And just to tie it all together nicely: Brett Clarke (TTEdge) and Jeff Plumb (PingSkills) were doubles partners at the Sydney Olympics.

[Qualifying round: Aus-2 def. Cuba 2-0
Group H: Germany def Aus-2 2-0
Group H: Serbia & Montenegro def. Aus-2 2-0]
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 8:28pm
Table Tennis Exhibition by PingSkills - YouTube

Edited by smackman - 11/19/2014 at 8:29pm
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 6:35pm
Teaching and making it memorable is a fine art...

I can't praise Brett enough for his unique and memorable delivery...

I just wondered how many Bears he tried before he found The Bear with a great Topspin stroke and angle ...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by vutiendat1337 vutiendat1337 wrote:

I know.  A national coach is giving us a ton of really great free stuff in an entertaining way and people chime in with idiocy.  Blows my mind.

Entertaining is relative. PingSkills guys might not be the best Aussie players but I can watch through their videos without any "lol or wtf" moment. I re-watched Brett's video and the advice is priceless and watching it the second time focusing on the content and ignoring the "goofyness", I subscribed. But do not assume that just because you are ok with a grown man doing goofy stuff with a bear in his hands, that others find it amusing or entertaining. As I said, I had to watch the video several times to get used to Brett's "comedy" which can be fairly over the top and quirky on the first try. Same with Adam Bobrow, he might as well be a "great" entertainer, commentator, moderator and "make TT more fun" but I am personally not a fan of his humor and that does not make me an idiot. 

You weren't the person being called an idiot (it was someone else).  Sorry if you though that, and the idiocy I was noting had nothing to do with appreciating his humor, which may not be everyone's cup of tea. 
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 4:00pm
Brett's videos for TTedge subscribers are a lot more serious and straightforward than his freebies.  I like his videos either way.  He has a great way of showing technique (wrong and right) and not just talking about it, IMO. 

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 3:54pm
hahaha

say what you want but this guy's videos are the best. 
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 3:48pm
To each their own I guess.
Brett's humor is a bit over the top but it doesn't bother me.  I think the silliness of this video goes along well since he's using the bear as a prop.
Personally I can't stand Bobrow.  

mahomedy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahomedy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 3:46pm
a normal video like that would cost quite a bit,yet he gives it to us for free.He is definitely a person looking at the better interests of the table tennis community.My respect for him.
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 3:44pm

I know.  A national coach is giving us a ton of really great free stuff in an entertaining way and people chime in with idiocy.  Blows my mind.

Entertaining is relative. PingSkills guys might not be the best Aussie players but I can watch through their videos without any "lol or wtf" moment. I re-watched Brett's video and the advice is priceless and watching it the second time focusing on the content and ignoring the "goofyness", I subscribed. But do not assume that just because you are ok with a grown man doing goofy stuff with a bear in his hands, that others find it amusing or entertaining. As I said, I had to watch the video several times to get used to Brett's "comedy" which can be fairly over the top and quirky on the first try. Same with Adam Bobrow, he might as well be a "great" entertainer, commentator, moderator and "make TT more fun" but I am personally not a fan of his humor and that does not make me an idiot. 

Edited by vutiendat1337 - 11/19/2014 at 3:45pm
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

That's the beauty of Google. If William Henzell is posting another player's tutorial, I figured the player had to be good. So you google "Brett Clarke" and two good articles he wrote as Australian national coach and this one video show up. William calls Brett the most innovative coach he has ever worked with.

I just wish more people would do this kind of easy research and appreciate What he is sharing with us. A national level player who loves working with amateurs comes along once every blue "Kim Jung Hoon" moon.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by mahomedy13 mahomedy13 wrote:

I had no idea how good a player Brett was.

That's the beauty of Google. If William Henzell is posting another player's tutorial, I figured the player had to be good. So you google "Brett Clarke" and two good articles he wrote as Australian national coach and this one video show up. William calls Brett the most innovative coach he has ever worked with.

I just wish more people would do this kind of easy research and appreciate What he is sharing with us. A national level player who loves working with amateurs comes along once every blue "Kim Jung Hoon" moon.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mahomedy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahomedy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 2:00pm
I had no idea how good a player Brett was.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 9:58am
I don't know. I like like his videos. They're goofy mixed in with some good tid bits. The snake serve & reverse pendulum serve videos were nice.

And I don't know why but the Xu Xin, bear thing got a chuckle out of me. Smile
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 8:42am
I like his style, the price is nice Smile and his use of the teddy bear is a great prop for demonstrating how to have a relaxed arm IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic