Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Butterfly Price Revision???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

eon, I wonder what they mean by "error"?  Did someone go into their website and systematically lower the prices on virtually every product?  Or had they planned on having a sale and then thought better of it and decided not to honor the prices on their website? 

My situation is unique where I didn't order directly from Butterfly and instead through a 3rd party store that had free shipping.  My item was on back-order and I was hoping for a price match since said 3rd party store does that.  They contacted Butterfly and that's what they told him, error on their site.  That's all I know.  Had I used my best judgement and ordered direct from Butterfly right when I saw the deal, it might have been honored but I'm not sure.

I know it sounds confusing, but it was a choice...do I reorder at Butterfly and lose free shipping at 3rd party store, or wait for 3rd party to see if they can price match.  All without ending up with two.  Potential savings could have been $300-$600.

In any case, now I'm waiting to get the 2015 model.
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by eonblue eonblue wrote:

Had I used my best judgement and ordered direct from Butterfly right when I saw the deal, it might have been honored but I'm not sure.

I'm not sure at the moment either.  It's looking like someone at Butterfly NA screwed up bigtime, though.
NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I think a webmaster screwed up; they tried to apply a 25% discount to some item(s); then the discount applied site wide...I remember the MJ SZLC  at $255 or the regular MJ at $153...

OOOPS!

yes, this is why i dropped my mj price in the for sale section to 135$ when i saw this. then someone reserved the blade and butterfly raised the price back up and i raised it back up aswell. i felt bad Ouch

Click the picture for feedback ^
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 5:19pm
It's not as if they're losing money for a relatively small pricing error so cancelling orders would be nothing but a dick move on their part.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 5:36pm
I hope its an error, because I'm mad that I didn't hear about the sale and buy something. LOL
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 7:19pm
My order was shipped today and expected to arrive on Wednesday. 
NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 7:26pm
they honor it? Eonblue, i would be annoyed if i were you. you would have saved quite a bit.

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by NoRema NoRema wrote:

they honor it? Eonblue, i would be annoyed if i were you. you would have saved quite a bit.

You do not save by buying something, only spend less. Meanwhile, it is still cheaper to buy from Japan including shipping cost. I don't know whether TT11 will carry butterfly in the future.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 8:05pm
Now that I am home I see that I hve received an email from Butterfly indicating that they have shipped the two sheets of T05 that I bought for $51/ea.  I guess I got lucky.

I still have no idea why the price was only for about one day.
NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

You do not save by buying something, only spend less. Meanwhile, it is still cheaper to buy from Japan including shipping cost. I don't know whether TT11 will carry butterfly in the future.

i don't think it would be cheaper to buy a table from japan.

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2015 at 11:40pm

Even at $51 for tenergy, they still make a lot of money out of it.
YES!!!! A LOT OF MONEY!

After the initial development making TT rubber are as good as gold or oil.  It costs little to run an injection molding machine and glue sponge to a top sheet then cut it.

The price has nothing to do with the exchange rate or what it costs to make.  The manufacturers charge what the market is willing to pay.

Think of software.  Microsoft Office sells for many 100s of dollars.  It doesn't cost that much to print a CD.

TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 2:35am

Don't think it is the case anymore as the cheaper price from Japan is all the culprit. Tenergy has jump from 6k to over 8k yen in Japan so it makes it back up to about the same USD68. Unless someone is still selling out their old stock with the old price or giving out deep discount, buying from Japan is not really a viable option for most.

TT11 always carry Butterfly blades and rubbers but block to view from outside their territory. I do hope the next step of Butterfly is to lift their ban from selling across continent online.

Edited by TurboZ - 02/24/2015 at 2:38am
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 3:52am
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

Even at $51 for tenergy, they still make a lot of money out of it.
YES!!!! A LOT OF MONEY!

After the initial development making TT rubber are as good as gold or oil.  It costs little to run an injection molding machine and glue sponge to a top sheet then cut it.

The price has nothing to do with the exchange rate or what it costs to make.  The manufacturers charge what the market is willing to pay.

Think of software.  Microsoft Office sells for many 100s of dollars.  It doesn't cost that much to print a CD.

Butterfly needs to charge enough to pay for R&D, marketing, employee wages, benefits, rent, utilities etc.  Such things cost money.  Same for Microsoft.  Software maintenance updates aren't free.  Just because a product is finished development doesn't mean there aren't anymore expenses.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ydpai0 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ydpai0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 5:04pm
I ordered two Tenergy 05 FX. they honor the order. Luck me.

Here is the email :

We wanted to make you aware there was an issue with our website over the weekend where pricing was showing incorrectly.    We will honor this price for the order that was placed but any future orders will have to be at the current price listed.

Thank you for choosing Butterfly Table Tennis for your table tennis needs.

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 5:14pm
Back when the Japanese Yen was better than the dollar (76 JPY = 1 USD ) about two or three years ago, Butterfly North America raised their prices blaming the bad currency exchange rate. Ever since the USD has shot up compared to the JPY in the last year, Butterfly NA never brought the prices back down for the same reasoning. So its all BS anyway. Butterfly NA can charge whatever they want for whatever reason, as long as Tenergy is popular and people are buying it. Just don't believe what they say in those stupid notifications, press releases, etc.

I'm guessing there is a limit to how much they can charge for Tenergy before demand will start to go down. Hopefully they are at that mark right now, and the price is not going up. Who would actually buy Tenergy for $75 or even $80 USD?

The problem is that their competitors also raise their prices. There's no incentive for me to try other rubbers if I'm only saving $5-7 a sheet. I will pay that much more to use Tenergy vs. ESN... Confused

Edited by LOOPMEISTER - 02/24/2015 at 5:17pm
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 5:28pm

Yes I was really annoyed but am over it now.  I'm not sure it would have helped putting in an order directly with Butterfly since it was out of stock anyway.  Also feared that they'd send me the most banged up one if I got it for that price.  Regardless, the order is cancelled now.  I give up until the new Europa is available.  pingpongdepot.com has a lot of alternative options (Donic, Andro) that I'd buy in a heartbeat but the ones I like are for Canada only.  From what I gather, pretty much all of these tables that say "Made in Germany", are likely made at the Sponeta factory.  Definitely Butterfly is.  I'm not satistfied with the options for stationary tables in the US.
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 6:07pm
(loopmeister)  Who would actually buy Tenergy for $75 or even $80 USD?

Apparently some players did, at a whopping $89.95 per sheet, which Butterfly graciously reduced to a more modest $69.95 a sheet a while back.

My Winter 2013/2014 Paddle Palace catalog has the various varieties of Tenergy priced at an even more modest $64.95 per sheet.

See, Tassie52 and NoRema and roundrobin and Baal, I can write about something else other than *******.  I've even played a bit with Tenergy on a borrowed racket a few years back (don't remember which type, probably Tenergy 05).  It didn't do a heck of a lot for my fh and bh loopette a la Wang Hao (is he retired now? pity.), because the tables at the Armory Park Recreation Center here in Tuscon (20? year old Stiga Privat rollaways) were restained apparently some time ago, and they no longer take the spin we've all come to love.

Edited by berndt_mann - 02/24/2015 at 6:36pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 6:12pm

Now that I am home I see that I hve received an email from Butterfly indicating that they have shipped the two sheets of T05 that I bought for $51/ea.  I guess I got lucky.

I still have no idea why the price was only for about one day.

I believe someone mistakenly entered the official wholesale price of Tenergy into the computer as the retail price.

Sandiway 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 6:18pm
I got this today:

Thank you for your order with Butterfly Table Tennis. 

We wanted to make you aware there was an issue with our website over the weekend where pricing was showing incorrectly.    We will honor this price for the order that was placed but any future orders will have to be at the current price listed.

Thank you for choosing Butterfly Table Tennis for your table tennis needs.

Best regards,

Ken

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 6:44pm
nice job guys.  Sucks for Butterfly, but then again, its not like they will lose money for the erroneous discount
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 6:53pm

Here's the thing: Even at $51, Tenergy rubbers are too expensive. At Dandoy, for instance, one can buy 4 MX-P sheets for about $32 a piece.

Comparing that $32 to the current T05 price of $68 per sheet just goes to show how ludicrous BTY pricing is at the moment.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Comparing that $32 to the current T05 price of $68 per sheet just goes to show how ludicrous BTY pricing is at the moment.

Yet people who aren't at the point where its advantages manifest keep paying for it.

At this point it's akin to buying a player jersey to play vicariously through the skill of others.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2015 at 7:00pm
yep (to slevin).
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2015 at 12:17pm
So that means we will be able to buy BYT product in Japan again?
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2015 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Here's the thing: Even at $51, Tenergy rubbers are too expensive. At Dandoy, for instance, one can buy 4 MX-P sheets for about $32 a piece.

Yes, everyone else should please hurry up and switch to $32 MX-P, so Butterfly will be forced to reduce Tenergy prices, and I can keep buying it but for less.

It's a collective action problem.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2015 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

Back when the Japanese Yen was better than the dollar (76 JPY = 1 USD ) about two or three years ago, Butterfly North America raised their prices blaming the bad currency exchange rate. Ever since the USD has shot up compared to the JPY in the last year, Butterfly NA never brought the prices back down for the same reasoning. So its all BS anyway. Butterfly NA can charge whatever they want for whatever reason, as long as Tenergy is popular and people are buying it. Just don't believe what they say in those stupid notifications, press releases, etc.

I'm guessing there is a limit to how much they can charge for Tenergy before demand will start to go down. Hopefully they are at that mark right now, and the price is not going up. Who would actually buy Tenergy for $75 or even $80 USD?

The problem is that their competitors also raise their prices. There's no incentive for me to try other rubbers if I'm only saving $5-7 a sheet. I will pay that much more to use Tenergy vs. ESN... Confused

you have a point but Xiom rubber (one of the many ESN rubbers) prices have been going down. right now Omega IV pro is 37$ on ttnpp and 34$ shipped from a further overseas website.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 12:34am
So what we are seeing is that when USD is low, they raise their price in USA because of the exchange rate. That is understandable. Now the yen is low, and it is logical to think that they will lower the USD price to match. But hey, they raised their JPY price from 6k to 8k yen to level with USD pricing instead! Even price in Australia was AUD80 when AUD is on par with USD. And they never give discount over RRP unless they have made a mistake. I must say they are running one of the most successful business in the world. Wink

Unless we start seeing players with rubbers other than Tenergy and DHS National (they are even more expensive and harder to get than Tenergy) winning tournaments, I am afraid the trend of Butterfly domination will never end.

Edited by TurboZ - 03/01/2015 at 12:35am
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 7:28am
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

Unless we start seeing players with rubbers other than Tenergy and DHS National (they are even more expensive and harder to get than Tenergy) winning tournaments, I am afraid the trend of Butterfly domination will never end.

Or, unless players, especially at non-professional levels, start realizing that their level of play is not negatively affected by using other, less expensive brands.
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 7:43am
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

Or, unless players, especially at non-professional levels, start realizing that their level of play is not negatively affected by using other, less expensive brands.

+1.  
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 8:56am
are you serious loopmeister, show me wich other brands that i have to pay $80us for a sheet of rubber.so where exactly are you buying these other sheets of rubber that cost $73, you need to do some research for better prices. tbike sells any two donic sheets on ths site for $75us.this seems to be saving you a lot more than $6-$7 per sheet as an example.

Edited by patrick1v - 03/01/2015 at 8:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic