Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Probably the best 40+ ball ? Nittaku Premium (MIJ)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Probably the best 40+ ball ? Nittaku Premium (MIJ)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 12:35pm
had a bad experience with made in china nittaku 40+....broke 3 in one match

then took a brand new made in japan nittaku 40+, and broke it in a minute (!!!)

finished the match with a nittaku made in japan 2** 40+, which seemed to be pretty durable

yet, next day/next practice session, pulled a made in japan nittaku 40+ out of the same box, and it survived the practice, no problem.....that one that broke in less than a minute was kind of disconcerting though....the made in japan nittaku 40+ seem to be fairly durable

the made in china ones are a joke though

:)

PS:  to the OP, nice wide open shooting...  :)

Edited by in2spin - 08/26/2015 at 12:36pm
Sponsored Links

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 12:37pm
I've recently played with Nittaku 40+ Premium and it felt like a nice quality ball. Special thanks to >roundrobin< for sending me 2 balls to test out. ClapShocked

BUT so far ive tried:

Nittaku 40+ Premium
XSF Black stamp
DHS 40+
Joola Super P
Nittaku SHA 40+

*******^^^^^^^
and Nittaku 40+ Premium is by far the best bounce, most consistent, and most durable ball out of this list.

Close 2nd is XSF Black stamp ball that I got to try at NYISC. Similar bounce and hardness to the N40+P. Cant comment on durability since ive only tried it for one game.

The worst balls were the DHS 40+ and Joola Super P. DHS ball had the lowest bounce and just felt really weird during play and Joola Super P had the worst durability as I saw 2 balls break in a span of 2-3 games.

Edited by DreiZ - 08/26/2015 at 12:44pm
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 4:02pm
At my club, everybody prefers the xushuofa or the hanno balls...both seamless.
Lots of player find the nittaku premium too hard.
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 4:02pm
I totally agree with people who like playing properties of NP40+.   Also, the best players in my club (including Jim Butler) agree and pretty much won't use anything else unless they have to.  I managed to get quite a few boxes of NP40+ from various sources, so I use them mostly now.  If I can't use NP40+, I will use XSF (I have a bunch of those too).  I like XSF a lot.  As you know, I was the earliest and most vocal advocate for XSF.

But not everyone agrees about NP40+.  I have been in a back-and-forth with two people at OOAK forum.  One guy there claims NP40+ are not round and that he can't get as much spin on them as XSF and Chinese seamed 40+ balls, and he concludes that they are basically terrible balls.  I am pretty sure he is not confusing them with Nittaku SHA.  I find that really bizarre except for one thing, NP40+ balls are very very dusty out of the box, and that can reduce spin if you don't keep your rubber clean until the dust is reduced.  Other than that there is no reason at all that they should be less spinny (and since they have slightly smaller outer diameters, I would think they would be more spinny than XSF or DHS 40+.)  Another guy there agreed that they are less spinny and said that also he thought they sounded bad.  That is also weird to me.  The  sound IMHO is also less plastic.

Now there are four possibilities.  (1) I am full of crap.  Well ok, but a lot of people here confirm my opinion, and our current national champion as well.  (2)  These two guys at OOAK are full of crap (one lives in Europe and one in Australia I think), but they are not insane posters about other stuff.  I have no clue as to their level.  I am completely and totally unconvinced by the methods they are using to assess how spinny the balls are.  (3) Alternatively there is something markedly different and inconsistent about the balls they are using compared to the ones I have.  I have bought balls from TT-Japan, TTNPP, TT11 and Paddle Palace, over the course of the last year.  I have noticed no difference over time or due to vendor.  I find them round, durable enough for a 40+, relatively light, quite hard, and more like celluloid than other 40+ balls -- and also overpriced and too hard to find.  (4) balls are like rubbers and blades and everyone will have their preferences.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 4:23pm
I don't know how you could think the xsf balls carry more spin than the nittaku premi 40+
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 4:32pm
me either. 
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 4:38pm
I think they all have pretty crappy spin.

But blocking and hitting is easier with N40+P and XSF balls. Rallies are definitely longer and IMO more fun. 

... Now make these balls as durable as celluloid (or better) and I would be a happy camper.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 4:43pm
XSF already is more durable than celluloid IMHO.
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 4:50pm
I have some NP40+s in my practice bucket and they pick up and hold onto much more dust than the Kingnik 3-stars.

It seems to me that the material Nittaku uses is electrostatically more sensitive.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

But not everyone agrees about NP40+.  I have been in a back-and-forth with two people at OOAK forum.  One guy there claims NP40+ are not round and that he can't get as much spin on them as XSF and Chinese seamed 40+ balls, and he concludes that they are basically terrible balls.

I saw this over at OOAK and was surprised when I read it.  It's totally the opposite of what I feel, and what others at my club have said too.  The NP40+ have a much harder feel than the others and that gives a different experience, but it's much better than the vague, fluffy feel the seamed chinese balls have IMO.  I feel that they're as spinny as the DHS 40+ ball and MORE spinny than the XSF, but that's just me.

There are a lot of subjective things knocking around with all of this, and I wonder if it comes down to technique to some degree.  There is one guy in my league who is one of our best local players - much better than me and one notch higher than my club's best player - and he loves the XSF ball.  He prefers it over cell and is convinced that he's getting more spin on the XSF ball than cell.  I can't see how he's actually doing that in reality, but that's his impression.  It's hard for me to tell him that he's flat wrong, but...
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 4:52pm
I've been playing most matches with the NP 3* 40+ ball for most of this year.  My rather unscientific observations are that they are very close to celluloid balls in playing characteristics, but definitely less durable.

Occasionally I still play some matches with celluloid balls if someone wants to.  Personally, it doesn't make much of a difference to me to switch between celluloid and NP 40+ balls.

I have also occasionally played using the XSF seamless balls, and lately we're starting to see Gambler seamless balls get used more and more.  Now these balls immediately seem to move differently than the celluloid or NP 40+ balls IMO.  It seems like they are lighter, and seem to arc more as the fly through the air with lots of spin imparted on them.  It does take a little getting used to.  Again, I don't think it's a huge deal, as I'm able to adjust OK just after hitting for a minute or two.

Edited by geardaddy - 08/26/2015 at 4:54pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 5:07pm
I can definitely stomach switching between cell and NP40+.  Switching to XSF isn't too bad - it bounces higher and doesn't come through as much so I just have to stand a little closer initially.  Switching to DHS or DF is tough for me though because the bounce is so low.  I end up playing very conservatively for a while.

The worst for me is switching from XSF to DHS/DF because they are at the opposite ends of the spectrum, and unfortunately this is the transition which is most likely to happen each week in my league.
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 5:17pm
Switching balls tends to be pretty tough. I have plenty of people at one of my clubs that only wants to play with a orange ball. After 3 months of nothing but the NP40+ (and beating these people), I allowed it. Ugh I lost and lost and lost for a little while, but now I'm able to switch.  I feel like celluloid balls tend to have a little more spin and react more to backspin (so the adjustment is to increase my bat speed). My return of serve game is much better with any 40+ plastic.

XSF feels heavy to me. I've played with it only twice - during matches, so it's hard for me to really say.

Edited by wilkinru - 08/26/2015 at 5:18pm
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 5:19pm

I totally agree with people who like playing properties of NP40+.  

If I played with sponge, I might be really happy with NP40+.  But with hardbat they just feel dead and hard.  

But using my informal test of rolling the balls slowly on a granite (very smooth) countertop, it is pretty clear to me that NP40+ balls are more evenly balanced than the seamless balls.

The negatives on the NP40+ aside from what I said above are:
1) Availability
2) Price
3) Rapid graying of their color
4) The seams can migrate/deform over time/use.  I've observed a few well-used NP40+ balls and an indention begins to form at the seam over time/use.

As for Butler's preference, I'd have to consider that many of the events that are particularly important to him (US Open, Nationals, and maybe the US Team qualifier) use the NP40+ balls.  If I was a top contender in those tournaments, I'd probably favor the NP40+ as well. Maybe that influences his preference?

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 5:25pm

XSF already is more durable than celluloid IMHO.

This is clearly true for the seamless balls.  After running two tournaments with them, there can be no doubt that they are more durable. It isn't even close.  

I was able to run the two tournaments with only 3 dozen balls plus 1.  Breakage in the first tournament was two (one was stepped on).  Not sure about the second, but given that I was able to run that tournament with left over balls from the first, it couldn't have been many.  Ball loss is almost entirely due to player not returning them and/or them getting lost under the bleachers.

I need nearly twice as many balls if we are using 40mm celluloid balls and the difference is pretty much entirely due to breakage. So the celluloid balls are breaking at more than twice the rate of the seamless.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 6:20pm
The one thing I like about the NP40+ is that the ball is ridiculously predictable if you have celluloid instincts drilled into you for years.  I just wish it was more durable.  Even at my league yesterday, after having used XSF balls for three matches, someone proposed we used the NP 40+ and I was initially sad.  But playing with it, all the predictability just came back.  I started blocking again like I know how and flat hitting balls without abandon.

I just wish they were used at more tournaments.  But I am okay with XSF as well - just annoying to try to loop the ball and whiff because the ball stopped short of where I thought it was going to be.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

The one thing I like about the NP40+ is that the ball is ridiculously predictable if you have celluloid instincts drilled into you for years.  I just wish it was more durable.  Even at my league yesterday, after having used XSF balls for three matches, someone proposed we used the NP 40+ and I was initially sad.  But playing with it, all the predictability just came back.  I started blocking again like I know how and flat hitting balls without abandon.

I just wish they were used at more tournaments.  But I am okay with XSF as well - just annoying to try to loop the ball and whiff because the ball stopped short of where I thought it was going to be.

Using NP40+ gives me all the feels.  I love using it, but then I remember that it's a minority ball for me locally.  Then the depression hits.  I may as well just use the XSF all the time because I'm most likely to encounter it and minimise the adjustment time.

Ultimately, there shouldn't be so much variation in the ball types.  It's a real failure on the part of the ITTF.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

As for Butler's preference, I'd have to consider that many of the events that are particularly important to him (US Open, Nationals, and maybe the US Team qualifier) use the NP40+ balls.  If I was a top contender in those tournaments, I'd probably favor the NP40+ as well. Maybe that influences his preference?

I'll ask him.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 9:04am
On the last couple weeks, I was sparring for a Pro Player and we have to use P Balls because he competes with it in Europe..

We had: DHS, Double Fish, Cornilleau and all were ok for me.. more or less the same, decente for playing but low durability.

One day one friend of us who played at US Open showed up with a Nittaku Premium. I don't know if I was used to the other balls but I hated Nittaku.. too hard and heavy. Can't say about Nittaku durability.

In general, I was expecting a harder time to adapt to Poly balls based on all the fuzz on TT forums but I found quite ok to play with it. I think there's no need to changes on my setup, etc..

PS: This player prefers seamless balls but is forced to train with seamed because he plays at ITTF events all the time..

Edited by AMonteiro - 08/27/2015 at 9:12am
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 9:07am
For me the XSF balls are the best because they play fairly close to the celluloid balls, are durable, and most importantly they are in stock! The Nittaku premiums are not the best ball if you can't get them. I also like the idea of going seamless, so I hope the XSF balls really catch on and that everyone starts using them. 
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 9:16am
I like XSF best, but I find it hard to believe they're deemed durable! A good edge swing and they're gone. Yes, in normal use they are good, but sooner or later it happens. I've never seen a seamless ball die of old age, always brutal deaths.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Bran Bran wrote:

I like XSF best, but I find it hard to believe they're deemed durable! A good edge swing and they're gone. Yes, in normal use they are good, but sooner or later it happens. I've never seen a seamless ball die of old age, always brutal deaths.

I define durability as how long I can play with a ball on average before they are un-useable for whatever reason.  About the only way you can kill a XSF is if it hits a sharp edge, and in my experience, on average, it takes a longer time for this to happen than it takes to achieve the demise of any other ball.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 10:00am
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

On the last couple weeks, I was sparring for a Pro Player and we have to use P Balls because he competes with it in Europe..

We had: DHS, Double Fish, Cornilleau and all were ok for me.. more or less the same, decente for playing but low durability.

One day one friend of us who played at US Open showed up with a Nittaku Premium. I don't know if I was used to the other balls but I hated Nittaku.. too hard and heavy. Can't say about Nittaku durability.

In general, I was expecting a harder time to adapt to Poly balls based on all the fuzz on TT forums but I found quite ok to play with it. I think there's no need to changes on my setup, etc..

PS: This player prefers seamless balls but is forced to train with seamed because he plays at ITTF events all the time..

This comment shows that feelings about balls are subjective and not to be trusted uncritically, (especially when experience is limited to a session with one ball from a player accustomed to another type of ball).  Feel may not be real.  This is because the Nittaku Premium is without question and by a substantial margin the lightest 40+ ball on the market, especially compared to any other seamed plastic balls.  This comes from actually weighing the balls.  Nittaku premium balls are always under 2.70 grams, usually around 2.67, about the same as Nittaku celluloid.  Chinese seamed balls often are greater than 2.80 grams, although may have come down slightly in recent months.  XSF balls are around 2.75.  
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 10:09am
I played about 45 minutes .. at a club .. with cinder block walls 10' back of table .. used the Gambler 3* 40+ .. lots of high velocity shots hitting off the walls .. no breaks ..
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 10:28am

I define durability as how long I can play with a ball on average before they are un-useable for whatever reason.  About the only way you can kill a XSF is if it hits a sharp edge, and in my experience, on average, it takes a longer time for this to happen than it takes to achieve the demise of any other ball.
So do I actually, indeed I thought I didn't make it clear. 144 balls lasted our group (less than 10 training on average twice a week) 3 months.

Back of the envelope calculation says 3 months at twice a week = 13 weeks * 2.5h, times 5 (assuming 10 play together,so 5 tables), so 162.5h of play for 144 balls. This means about one hour per ball! It's a very rough approximation, but this sounds really scary.

On a bad session, I can break up to 3-4 balls, and this drastically brings down the stats. It's also depressing given their prices.
rxng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rxng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 10:38am
Just took some pictures (back light test), found that Nittaku Premium is really unique.

IMG_1222+s by Rx NG, 於 Flickr

IMG_1223+s by Rx NG, 於 Flickr

IMG_1224+s by Rx NG, 於 Flickr

IMG_1226+s by Rx NG, 於 Flickr
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 10:52am
where did you acquire the orange premium's from?

:)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 10:52am

So do I actually, indeed I thought I didn't make it clear. 144 balls lasted our group (less than 10 training on average twice a week) 3 months.

Back of the envelope calculation says 3 months at twice a week = 13 weeks * 2.5h, times 5 (assuming 10 play together,so 5 tables), so 162.5h of play for 144 balls. This means about one hour per ball! It's a very rough approximation, but this sounds really scary.

On a bad session, I can break up to 3-4 balls, and this drastically brings down the stats. It's also depressing given their prices.

The only way I can respond is that I have been using XSF balls since April 2014 and was the first person on English language forums to forcefully advocate for seamless balls, initially against considerable skepticism (based on the awful prototype balls they had released a year earlier).  My extensive experience is very different (and I am far from the only person who calls them durable).  Your experience is what it is, but it seems to me there must be something very different about the playing conditions where we both play. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 10:54am
Yes, NP40+ has a very different seam than any other seamed ball.  Zeio once posted something about the manufacturing process that explained this.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 10:58am
Aha, opaque vs translucent.

Oh, that ultrasonic welding process they use to join the two halves together minimizes the seam to a minimum.

Edited by zeio - 08/27/2015 at 11:01am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic