Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

question of talent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 11:27am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Also I strongly suggest that you completely disregard anything you "read" about the Williams sisters because you don't know the half of it.  Around my neck of woods they are local celebrities and I know perhaps a million times more about them than you ever could.
That interesting...so if anybody wants to study the question of talent and use the Williams sisters as a case study they have to go through you because you live in their neck of the woods?! Earlier in this thread you also mentioned Einstein and Hawking. Do those boys also live in your neighourhood too?

To come back to topic, I do not believe in "talent" though I used to when I was younger. I do believe that genetics may play some role but anybody I have seen who was really good at something (scientist, artist, athlete) worked harder than anybody else. Why do you think Reggie Miller or Nowitzki are 2 of the best shooters ever? Because they had some sort of magic gift some people call talent? No, they stayed in the gym and took a fore hundred more shots every day after the rest of the guys was already long gone. Reggie was always the first to come and the last to leave. Just because LGL calls somebody "talented" does not make it automatically true; he didn't do a scientific study on it. LGL has no idea what Dima did or how he trained before he appeared on the scene with his powerful backhand.
To Andy's daughter, I am sure she is really good at swimming because she practices a lot and probably loves to compete with the boys too. Maybe she has some genetics that help her (maybe strong legs for her age or something) but I am pretty sure it's because she loves to practice.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

You state that they have abnormal brains, but I struggle to see the actual evidence of the brain abnormality, so the most I can say about this is that it's a guess by you.  

I would be curious to know your thoughts on people like Daniel Tammet and others with synasthesia.  

Before I do, let me ask you one important question.

Has he been on Oprah?

(I just need to pick the right anger setting)

edit - I jest, of course.  I'll look into it and get back to you.

I don't know how annoying this is for anyone reading, but I really do feel like I'm learning stuff in this thread.

Edited by AndySmith - 05/01/2015 at 11:31am
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 11:39am

You state that they have abnormal brains, but I struggle to see the actual evidence of the brain abnormality, so the most I can say about this is that it's a guess by you.  

I would be curious to know your thoughts on people like Daniel Tammet and others with synasthesia.  

Has he been on Oprah?

I don't know how annoying this is for anyone reading, but I really do feel like I'm learning stuff in this thread.

Hah! To my knowledge, he has never been on Oprah. He has been on the Tonight Show With David Letterman though!

Edited by Ringer84 - 05/01/2015 at 12:16pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 11:45am
This thread has gone viral...

For Talent - read Aptitude...

I am a fan of Syed's phylosophy because it gives hope to those who fall off the unicycle at the first attempts...

There are some people that can't rub their tummy in a circle with one hand and pat the top of their head with the other hand at the same time. Some will practise and get it quicker than others, some may never be able to do it...

So I believe, Talent, Aptitude The Gift deffinately exist's and displays itself in various ways...

The hope is with the exceptions and late bloomers that might have to work harder to reach the same goals...

Edited by CraneStyle - 05/01/2015 at 11:48am
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 12:02pm
Andy,

There are signs of extreme intelligence or mental ability that are clearly not tied to education. We can't all master calculus, not matter how good our teachers are. This is an example of where ability can separate people. Talent is just an extreme example of such ability.

I am all for railing against naive pronouncements of talent or refusing to leave talent in the realm of the inexplicable. But in the realm of the relatively explicable, talented people are everywhere. And the fact that they have been trained or that their talents are explicable does not mean that their natural (or even amended gifts like Tiger Woods vision post surgery) don't factor into their talents.

There are things that talented people can do that would take you years to do even with similar training, for example.

Edited by NextLevel - 05/01/2015 at 12:03pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Roundrobin,

There is no difference between saying you ate not talented enough to do it and you can't do it. That is Andy's point. People abuse the word talent all the time. It's one thing to say that your heart condition makes you unlikely to be a world class athlete and its another thing to say you lack the talent to be a world class athlete. The factors that go into developing talent are often significant. What is unclear is how you predict that someone has talent. People say all kinds of rubbish about talent that they have no justification for. You sound like someone who might use the word as an excuse not to educate someone. In a case you might be right, but you need to have more evidence than the person cannot do it. Pointing out some achievements that the person has at an age when other people similarly exposed failed is one way of doing this, but just saying that the person is talented is an after the fact claim.

Sure, I get it but it's completely beside the point.  Parents with "untalented" kids in Asia paid for their kids' training all the time, regardless of what others said, particularly the more wealthy ones.  Because of this, many teachers and coaches actually like to throw the word around to attract more customers.  Millions of families in Asia pay for their kids' special training at an extremely young age in areas other than academics, and many tens of millions more put their young kids in extracurricular STEM classes as soon as their kids could read.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Also I strongly suggest that you completely disregard anything you "read" about the Williams sisters because you don't know the half of it.  Around my neck of woods they are local celebrities and I know perhaps a million times more about them than you ever could.
That interesting...so if anybody wants to study the question of talent and use the Williams sisters as a case study they have to go through you because you live in their neck of the woods?! Earlier in this thread you also mentioned Einstein and Hawking. Do those boys also live in your neighourhood too?

How are these related?  Andy posted erroneous information about the quality of early trainings of the Williams sisters, so I do not trust his source anymore.  It's the logical thing to do. 
So you know that Einstein and Hawking had earlier coaching on math and physics than other kids as well?  LOL
(Even if they did, there are countless others who had the same early training but got nowhere.)

Edited by roundrobin - 05/01/2015 at 1:18pm

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 12:44pm

Has he been on Oprah?

You sound borderline racist.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Why do you think Reggie Miller or Nowitzki are 2 of the best shooters ever? Because they had some sort of magic gift some people call talent? No, they stayed in the gym and took a fore hundred more shots every day after the rest of the guys was already long gone. Reggie was always the first to come and the last to leave. Just because LGL calls somebody "talented" does not make it automatically true; he didn't do a scientific study on it. LGL has no idea what Dima did or how he trained before he appeared on the scene with his powerful backhand.

You are making assumptions that have no basis in fact.  Reggie and Dirk could say they work harder than anyone else at shooting the ball, but the fact is they don't know for sure, and no one does.  They only know that they might work harder than the ones they saw with their own eyes.  Furthermore, there's no scientific proof whatsoever that practice is what made them such special shooters.  It's a convenient concrete excuse (as opposed to something they can't qualify/quantify, such as the makeup of their genes) for motivational writers to bolster their personal opinion.

Regarding Dima, you also don't have any idea whatsoever if LGL had any details about Dima's earlier BH training.  You are simply guessing.

Edited by roundrobin - 05/01/2015 at 1:03pm

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 1:43pm
At the end of the day, this entire thread is a "nature vs. nurture" debate about a complex behavior (ability of humans to play table tennis). 

Like all other nature vs. nurture debates applied to complex behavior in pretty much every animal including humans, anybody who claims that all the differences between individuals are due to either one or the other is simply wrong.  Thousands and thousands of studies over about a century have proved that.  It's not even worth debating.  Both matter.  So how much do each matter?

Like I said, a number that seems to emerge surprisingly often is that about 40% of the variance within any given out-bred population appears to be genetic.  Obviously no behavioral geneticist has studied ping pong skills in humans but there is no reason to think it would be any different.   
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 1:55pm
Another thing that I notice is some people seem to get really offended and take it personally when you state that there is some genetic variation in ability of individuals to carry out a complex task (or play a sport).  In some cases I can see why people are suspicious about this, as the idea has on occasion been extended way beyond its usefulness and abused by people who may have pretty nefarious motivations. I get that.  I don't think it is appropriate on a ping pong forum to cite examples of where I think that has happened but the idea has been warped and abused by some people. 

Other people seem to think that it implies that they can never get better no matter how much they practice or that somehow it downgrades the achievements of amazing people, and that seems to threaten some principle they value with almost religious piety. 

I think it if unfortunate that people think that way.  None of us here are going to be competing to be in the top 100 in the world.  We can all get better by working at it.  So did Zhang Jike.  And yet even here, some of us may just pick up somethings with relatively minimal effort and struggle with others. 

We are not all the same.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 2:46pm

You sound borderline racist.

Whoa.  Careful now.  Them's big words to be throwing around.

State your reasons or I'll ask you politely to take that back.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 2:53pm

Regarding Dima, you also don't have any idea whatsoever if LGL had any details about Dima's earlier BH training.  You are simply guessing.

Correct.  Context is vital with any cherry-picked quote like that LGL one.  In the absence of context (which none of us have), we are left with educated guesses.  He may have had technical details, he may have not.  He may believe that talent is worth further investigation, or he may believe it is immutable and unknowable.  It's impossible to say for sure without more detail.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 3:17pm

Roundrobin,

There is no difference between saying you ate not talented enough to do it and you can't do it. That is Andy's point. People abuse the word talent all the time. It's one thing to say that your heart condition makes you unlikely to be a world class athlete and its another thing to say you lack the talent to be a world class athlete. The factors that go into developing talent are often significant. What is unclear is how you predict that someone has talent. People say all kinds of rubbish about talent that they have no justification for. You sound like someone who might use the word as an excuse not to educate someone. In a case you might be right, but you need to have more evidence than the person cannot do it. Pointing out some achievements that the person has at an age when other people similarly exposed failed is one way of doing this, but just saying that the person is talented is an after the fact claim.

Sure, I get it but it's completely beside the point.  Parents with "untalented" kids in Asia paid for their kids' training all the time, regardless of what others said, particularly the more wealthy ones.  Because of this, many teachers and coaches actually like to throw the word around to attract more customers.  Millions of families in Asia pay for their kids' special training at an extremely young age in areas other than academics, and many tens of millions more put their young kids in extracurricular STEM classes as soon as their kids could read.

A parents evaluation of how best to support their child is a deeply personal thing and is unlikely to be helped by people calling the parents delusional for aspiring for the best for their children, even if the parents are obviously wrong. Everyone wants the best for their children. I don't think 12 million lessons on who us truly talented, even if grounded in cutting edge science, will affect that. Even realistic parents are often not truly realistic about their children.
Cybershape Carbon
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 4:49pm
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_science/SSCenter/docs/04-42%20Faber.pdf

The 12th ITTF Sports Science Congress May 5-7, 2011, Rotterdam, The Netherlands 15 1. INTRODUCTION Talent identification programs are used to identify talented athletes in time and to succeed at world class level. Besides the benefits for elite sports, talent identification in sports can be a helpful tool to increase sport participation in an open population and to reduce drop-outs by providing an optimal connection between sports, talents and personal preferences also on an amateur level.[9,14] In literature suggestions are made about the determinant factors in sports which can predict success and should be used for talent identification.

Models propose factors from several areas such as: ‘anthropometry’, ‘motor skills’, ‘mental skills’, ‘physical qualities’ and ‘contextual factors’ [1,5,9,16,17], Fig. 1. Fig. 1. Domains / Areas for talent identification Although key-predictors are recognized for some sports [2,19-21], most sports still search for these specific determinants. Therefore, it has been recommended that each sport should develop a sport-specific talent identification program.[ 1,5,9,16,17] Earlier research about table tennis revealed that trainers / coaches of the Dutch national selection found the presence of ‘motor skills’ the most important area to succeed, followed by mental and physical fitness [19]. Descriptions about table tennis sports from several authors proposed the following motor skills and physical traits as important for good table tennis performance: coordination, visual perception, control of arm and head movements, technical knowledge, a good sense of the game, ball control, good cardio-respiratory endurance, upper body- and hand strength in combination with good joint and muscle flexibility [7,10,11,15,18,22].

In contrast, Limoochi reported that of 40 international level coaches 36% ranked anthropometric factors as most important for talent identification followed by psychological factors (33%) and psychomotor factors (25%). From these areas ‘standing height’, ‘intelligence’ and ‘motivation’ were proposed to be key-factors, respectively. Only 11% of the coaches choose physical motor factors as most important.[12] Nevertheless, it must be remarked that because no A first step to an evidence-based talent identification program in the Netherlands; a research proposal Irene Faber1 , Frits Oosterveld2 and Ria Nijhuis-Van der Sanden3 1 School of Health, Saxion University of Applied Sciences, Enschede, The Netherlands (Tel : +31-53- 4871541; E-mail: [email protected]) 2 Professor of Physical Activity and Health, Expertise Center Health, Social Care and Technology, Saxion University of Applied Sciences, Enschede, The Netherlands 3 Professor and Chair in Allied Health Sciences, IQ healthcare, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen,

The Netherlands Abstract: Talent identifications programs are developed for several sports in different countries around the world to improve the chance to excel during important sports events like the Olympics or World Championships. Not only elite sports at world class level but also the recreational level will benefit from talent identification programs. For a small country as The Netherlands, it is desirable to develop a good talent identification program to keep up with international level and to improve the connection between table tennis and recreational sports or non-athletes looking for a sport that fits them well.

Because the key-factors which determine talent for table tennis are unknown, research to get a scientific fundament for a talent identification system for table tennis sports is desirable. This article presents a long-term research project (PhD) which is set-up by the Dutch Table Tennis Federation (NTTB) together with Saxion University of Applied Sciences and IQ Healthcare of the Radboud University Nijmegen in The Netherlands. The main purpose of this project is to find sport-specific determinants which play a key-role in talent identification in table tennis using a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches. Preliminary results from the top-down approach are already available from reliability and validity studies on the talent identification assessment (TIDA) which is used by the NTTB. Analysis shows mainly good reliability for the test items separately and for the TIDA as a whole. Concurrent validity is partly confirmed for the TIDA, however further analyses are necessary.

This research project can make an important step to an evidence-based talent identification program which benefits table tennis and other sports at elite and recreational level. Keywords: Table tennis, talent identification, evidence based The 12th ITTF Sports Science Congress May 5-7, 2011, Rotterdam, The Netherlands 16 specific definitions or way of measurements were given for each factor in this study, it is quite hard to make a good interpretation and comparison with other studies.

Concerning the mental skills, Chu et al. [3] reported, using a qualitative approach, that the optimal mental states for ten elite table tennis players in Taiwan were characterized by concentration, self-confidence, positive thinking, emotional management and motivation. In addition, Lopez & Santelices [13] concluded from data (Manchester Personality Questionnaire) of elite table tennis athletes from the Philippines that personal characteristics of originality, rules consciousness, assertiveness, competitiveness, conscientiousness, achievement and resilience should be taken into account for effective recruitment of talents. However, at this moment little scientific evidence is available about the determinants which are key-factors in table tennis and predict success on world class level. This has to be found out, before the next step ‘how to measure them’ can be made. Our main research question therefore is: Which sport-specific determinants are important for identifying table tennis talent in youth players (7-12 years)?

Research which combines top-down and bottom-up approaches is proposed to be an appropriate way to answer this question, Fig.2. Fig. 2. Top-down and bottom-up 2. RESEARCH PROPOSAL 2.1 Top-down approach The top-down approach is characterized by gathering empirical evidence using established methods to confirm or reject a priori hypotheses [16]. Univariate and multivariate analysis methods in retrospective data will be used to answer the research question. The Dutch Table Tennis Federation (NTTB) developed a talent identification program to organize and structure talent identification. The national talent day is one of the events in this program. During the national talent day of the NTTB young table tennis athletes are tested for their table tennis talents. Therefore these children participate in a tournament while being observed by scouts and their motor skills are tested using a talent identification assessment (TIDA), Table 1.

Table 1: Current test items of the TIDA (Talent Identification Assessment) Test item Short description Sprint Pick-up and bring back 6 table tennis balls as fast as possible (pyramid shape sprint) Agility Getting through a circuit as fast as possible; over a gymnastics cabinet and under a low hurdle. Vertical Jump Jumping as high as possible. Speed while dibbling Sideward dribbling through a zigzag circuit. Aiming at target Aiming at a target with bat and ball. Ball skills Aiming at a target with different balls (football, tennis ball, table tennis ball) using one bounce. Throwing a ball Throwing a table tennis ball as far as possible. Eye hand coordination Throwing and catching a table tennis ball against a vertical table as often as possible in 30 seconds using alternatively the left and right hand.

Data were collected from 1998 till 2010 and include the test results and tournament ranking of more than 1300 youth players aged between 5-12 years. Moreover the national rankings of the youngsters were available to follow the performance level of these youth players over years. This data-set was used for the analysis of the top-down approach and mainly consisted of performance measurement of motor skills (Fig.1). Sport-specific determinants for talent could be found by comparison of the well performers and poorly performers to learn more about talent identification in table tennis. In addition to above, the reproducibility of the TIDA was investigated analyzing internal consistency and test-retest reliability [4] and new test items were developed to cover all specific traits which were suggested for talent identification by the NTTB experts.

For the newly developed items validity was investigated by comparing talented and non-talented youth players and also a test-retest design was used to study reliability. 2.2 Bottom-up approach In the bottom-up approach elements for solution come from the collective wisdom, the rich anecdotal evidence, and the language of the sport performers themselves. Régnier et al. [16] reported this as an attempt to find out what features talented athletes cite in any specific area to explain their exceptional performance. Also the experiences of expert trainers / scouts could be of great value to find sport-specific The 12th ITTF Sports Science Congress May 5-7, 2011, Rotterdam, The Netherlands 17 determinants for table tennis.

Qualitative studies are now designed to gain more insight in the vision and experiences of elite players and top trainers / scout on talent identification and development. Semi-structured interviews will be held to collect data. A content analysis will show whether the TIDA covers most important motor skills and physical traits and which other determinants should be taken into account in future. 3. PRELIMINARY RESULTS At this moment only preliminary results are available. Reliability studies have been conducted on the used test items.

As a whole the TIDA has a good reliability and also per test items mainly good reliability has been shown [4]. The analyses for validity and to find sport specific determinants are now in process and the final results are expected at the end of 2011. From the first analysis the validity of the test items ‘speed while dribbling’, aiming at target, ball skills and ‘eye hand coordination’ seem promising; the concurrent validity [6] or the ability to discriminate between talented and less-talented youth players seems to be confirmed.

However, further analyses and corrections for confounders are needed to make fair conclusions. New data for the bottom-up approach still need to be collected and analysed. This research will be carried out in 2012 and results are expected at the end of 2012. 4. DISCUSSION A talent identification program which is based on scientific evidence can be of great value for table tennis. Of course, individual exceptions which do not fit the criteria of such a program always remain. However, elite sports and also sport at a recreational level are expected to benefit from good talent detection by decreasing the chance to miss talent.

Since Van Rossum and table tennis experts [7,10,11,15,18,22] showed that motor skills and physical fitness are important traits in table tennis, it seems reasonable to investigate the value of the TIDA used by the NTTB. Moreover, talent identification which only consists of national ranking seems inappropriate, because ranking is influenced by the amount and quality of training. Especially in a small country as the Netherlands ranking will not provide the necessary information and talents could be missed. Furthermore, the nowadays system of scouting is not transparent enough and personal preferences of scouts might influence the results. A systematic approach of testing with valid and reliable tools on sports-specific determinants during a talent identification program is desirable to objectively select talents [9].

To obtain fair results for talent identification some required conditions are proposed when using a TIDA to test motor skills and physical fitness. First of all, the test items of the TIDA should cover all traits which play a key-role in table tennis. Secondly, to avoid the influence of training on the performance outcome, the test items should consists of uncommon tasks which are more or less new for everyone, but which are correlated to table tennis competencies. Therefore, table tennis tasks as returning a service, playing forehand topspin or the specific table tennis tests that Katsikadelis [8] used seem inappropriate. Then the tasks must motivate youth players in the age between 7-12 years to perform at their bests. So the tasks should be challenging and quite fun to do. Of course all test items and the TIDA as a whole must also meet the psychometric requirements for reproducibility, validity and responsiveness.

Finally, for a good interpretation it is desirable to have norm values which are age and gender corrected [9]. Although the first analyses are promising for reliability [4] and validity further research is necessary to find the complete set of sport-specific determinants for table tennis. A critical reflection about the construct of the TIDA and the predictive value of the test items are essential to make straight conclusions. Besides motor skills and physical traits also mental aspects and maybe other personal (anthropometric) and environmental factors must be taken into account for talent identification in table tennis [3,12,13]. A good talent identification system includes sport-specific factors from different areas / domains (Fig. 1).

Although some research has been conducted in the Philippines and Taiwan to identify some of the mental / personal key-factors [3,13], the question arises whether these results can be extrapolated to countries in Western Europe. This also applies to the results of Limoochi’s study [12]. Cultural aspects and the norms and values of countries differ quite a lot, which can influence the results.

A bottom-up approach with semi-structured interviews of elite players from the Netherlands and other Western European countries would add more insight which determinants are important for talent identification. In conclusion, this research project aims to make a step to an evidence-based talent identification program which benefits sports at elite and recreational level. A combination of top-down and bottom-up research provide results a complete insight in the determinants which play a key-role for table tennis talents. Results from this study can be especially used for table tennis, however other racket sports also might profit, too.

This research project (PhD) is supported by the Dutch Table Tennis Federation (NTTB), the Dutch Olympic Committee*Dutch Sport Federation (NOC*NSF), Saxion University of Applied Science and IQ Healthcare of the Radboud University of Nijmegen. REFERENCES The 12th ITTF Sports Science Congress May 5-7, 2011, Rotterdam, The Netherlands 18

[1] Bosch, van den J., Cocq, de C. Sportief talent ontdekken. Scouten, meten en testen van jonge kinderen voor diverse sportdisciplines. [= Identify sportive talent. Scouting, measuring and testing young athletes.] Acco, Leuven, Belgium, 2006. [2] Bös, K., Schneider, W. Vom Tennistalent zum Spitzenspieler; eine Reanalyse von Längschnittdaten zur Leistungsprognose im Tennis. Czwalina Verlag, Hamburg, Germany, 1997. [3] Chu, C.Y., Chen, I.T., Hung, T.M. Sources of psychological states related to peak performances in elite table tennis players. [12th ITTF Sports Science Congress, Rotterdam, the Netherlands], 2011. [4] Ekman, S., Faber, I.R., Oosterveld, F.G.J., Nijhuis - Van der Sanden, M.W.G. Reliability study of a motor test battery for talent identification. [12th ITTF Sports Science Congress, Rotterdam, the Netherlands], 2011. [5] Elferink-Gemser, M.T. Today’s talented youth field hockey players, the stars of tomorrow? A study on talent development in field hockey. Ponsen & Looijen bv, Wageningen, the Netherlands, 2005. [6] Faber, I.R., Oosterveld, F.G.J., Nijhuis - Van der Sanden, M.W.G. Concurrent validity of test items of a talent identification assessment. [12th ITTF Sports Science Congress, Rotterdam, the Netherlands], 2011 [7] Horsch, R. Tischtennis; Schule, Verein, Freizeit. Sport in der Lehrerfortbildung. Band 4. Universitätsverlag Konstanz GMBH, Germany, 1990. [8] Katsikadelis, M., Pilianidis, T., Douda, H., Tokmakidis, S.P. Talent identification in table tennis. The proceedings of the 9th ITTF Sports Science Congress, 275-279, 2006. [9] Kondric, M. The expert system for orientation of children into table tennis in the Republic of Slovenia. International Journal of Table Tennis Sciences, 3, 125-130, 1996. [10] Kondric, M., Furjan-Mandic, G., Kondric, L., Gabaglio, A. Physical demands and testing in table tennis. International Journal of Table Tennis Sciences, 6, 165-170, 2010. [11] Lees, A. Science of the major racket sports - a review. Journal of Sports Sciences, 21, 707-732, 2003. [12] Limoochi, S. A survey of table tennis coaches’ opinions of some criteria in talent identification. The proceedings of the 9th ITTF Sports Science Congress, 280-287, 2006. [13] Lopez, A.V., Santelices, O.Y. Personality characteristics of elite table tennis athletes of the Philippines: a basis for a proposed recruitment program. [12th ITTF Sports Science Congress, Rotterdam, the Netherlands], 2011. [14] NOC*NSF. Sport groeit! - Sportagenda 2012. [= Sport grows! – Sportagenda 2012.] Nederlands Olympisch Comité * Nederlandse Sport Federatie, The Netherlands, 2007. [15] Raab, M., Masters, R.S.W., Maxwell, J.P. Improving the “how” and “what” decisions of elite table tennis players. Human movement science, 24, 326-344, 2005. [16] Régnier, G., Salmela, J.H., Russell, S.J. Talent detection and development in sport. A Handbook of Research on Sports Psychology (edited by R. Singer, M. Murphey, and L.K. Tennant); 290-313. New York: Macmillan, 1993. [17] Reilly, T., Williams, A.M., Nevill, A., Franks, A. A multidisciplinary approach to talent identification in soccer. Journal of Sports Sciences, 18, 695-702, 2000. [18] Rodrigues, S.T., Vickers, J.N., Williams, A.M. Head, eye and arm coordination in table tennis. Journal of Sports Sciences, 20, 187-200, 2002. [19] Rossum, van J.H.A., Gagné, F. Rankings of predictors of athletic performance by top level coaches. European Journal for High Ability, 5, 68-78, 1994. [20] Rossum, van J.H.A. Psychological characteristics of elite athletes according to top level coaches. High Ability Studies, 7, 15-23, 1996. [21] Rossum, van J.H.A. Wie haalt het Nederlands hockeyteam? Een talentontwikkelingsonderzoek naar voorspellen op grond van junior gegevens. [= Who gets to the Dutch national hockey team? – A research about talentidentification in junior-athletes.] Sportgericht, 60, 4-7, 2006. [22] Sorensen, V., Ingvaldsen, R.P., Whiting, H.P.A. The application of coordination dynamics to the analysis of discrete movements using table tennis as a paradigm skill. Biological cybernetics, 85, 27-38, 2001.

Edited by berndt_mann - 05/01/2015 at 5:15pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

At the end of the day, this entire thread is a "nature vs. nurture" debate about a complex behavior (ability of humans to play table tennis). 

Like all other nature vs. nurture debates applied to complex behavior in pretty much every animal including humans, anybody who claims that all the differences between individuals are due to either one or the other is simply wrong.  Thousands and thousands of studies over about a century have proved that.  It's not even worth debating.  Both matter.  So how much do each matter?

Like I said, a number that seems to emerge surprisingly often is that about 40% of the variance within any given out-bred population appears to be genetic.  Obviously no behavioral geneticist has studied ping pong skills in humans but there is no reason to think it would be any different.   

Baal,

I too fully believe that both nature and nurture matter, most likely equally (I can accept the "40% vs. 60%" numbers) if you want to produce solid professional table tennis players.  When a number of posters want to argue that by simply starting younger or train harder, one can get to the very top of the table tennis profession AND dominate like Waldner, WLQ and LGL did as long as their physical and mental attributes appear "normal" (e.g. not extra thin, short or fat and can bounce a ball on a paddle at least a few times) they are simply delusional.  They further proved they are deep in lala land when they claimed many known "geniuses" of the past were successful simply due to hard work or early training, as they have zero proof.

As to their concern that uninformed, biased people like me may use arbitrary talent screening tests to wrongly deny training and opportunities to kids, rest assured that money is what pay for their training most of the time in the current world we live in. Wink The fact is you can buy all the training you want in table tennis (even in China like CCY, Kasumi Ishikawa and Ai Fukuhara did, or live at the Werner Schlager Academy if you wish), but you simply can't buy "talent" (oops I meant God's Gift, something innate in every person).  You'll need both in enough doses to become the next Waldner, Wang Liqin or Liu Guoliang. 

Edited by roundrobin - 05/01/2015 at 6:34pm

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 8:02pm
Of course some people have talent for something. Let us not take it away from them. For some, it is all they have... 
Contradicting the existence of talent is socially wrong.
Young humans develop in part by trying to imitate their talented peers.
Contradicting that is... odd.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 11:41pm

When a number of posters want to argue that by simply starting younger or train harder, one can get to the very top of the table tennis profession AND dominate like Waldner, WLQ and LGL did as long as their physical and mental attributes appear "normal" (e.g. not extra thin, short or fat and can bounce a ball on a paddle at least a few times) they are simply delusional.

As to their concern that uninformed, biased people like me may use arbitrary talent screening tests to wrongly deny training and opportunities to kids, rest assured that money is what pay for their training most of the time in the current world we live in.

Yes, I think to be one of the world's greatest players of any sport at all nearly everything possible has to align the right way.  Genetics, opportunity, hard work, access to coaching, access to the highest levels of competition, etc. etc.  Everything.  If any one thing is missing, the result will not be the same.  Edit added:  I should also add to this, not getting injured at key times.  Part of that is genetics.  Part of that is luck, more so in some sports than others.

And yes, money opens lots of doors.  It can buy all sorts of access, all sorts of coaching.  I am amazed at what some people spend on it for their kids. 

I think that no player from the US has much chance to be very good by elite international standards.  I think every kid who wants to should be coached with the same degree of conscientiousness because at the and of the day, none of the ones from here are going to be the next ZJK, pretty much no matter what.  Not enough of the  infrastructure here is available. Coaches need to get paid.  That is how they make their living. It is the parent's ability to pay that at the end of the day determines what their kids will get. 
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 3:06am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Of course some people have talent for something. Let us not take it away from them. For some, it is all they have... 
Contradicting the existence of talent is socially wrong.
Young humans develop in part by trying to imitate their talented peers.
Contradicting that is... odd.

This attitude is part of the problem, IMO.

I can replace every instance of the word "talent" in your post with the word "learned skill" and it would still make total sense.  Young humans develop in part by imitating their skilled peers, and so on.  In a discussion about talent v training, resorting to truisms like this isn't very convincing to me.

Now, that's not to say you should then jump to the conclusion that I don't believe in genetic advantage.  What I do think is that "talent" is a badly abused blanket label, where people say things like "of course some people have talent for something", as if just saying the sentence makes it so.  People look at skilled individuals and presume divine intervention, not just at the top of the pile, but all the way down to high school level, and it's harmful.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 3:19am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Yes, I think to be one of the world's greatest players of any sport at all nearly everything possible has to align the right way.  Genetics, opportunity, hard work, access to coaching, access to the highest levels of competition, etc. etc.  Everything.  If any one thing is missing, the result will not be the same.  Edit added:  I should also add to this, not getting injured at key times.  Part of that is genetics.  Part of that is luck, more so in some sports than others.

See, I get a little jittery with this kind of thinking when it gets folded into the "talent" concept.  No doubt genetic advantage plays SOME part.  In TT, for example, how much?  It's incredibly hard to say.  You've mentioned the 60/40 split before, but that comes from an inference, it's not modeled on TT directly.  So, we don't really know with any accuracy, we just have a best guess from meta analysis.  Without that knowledge, how much extra training would a 1% less talented person have to do to overcome a 1% more talented person?  It's impossible to know, and we will never know if TT "talent" is allowed to remain an unknowable myth without analysis.

So this cascades down the tree to the lower levels, where someone gets labelled as talented, someone as not, and we have no idea of how much extra (or different, or more innovative) training the non-talented would have to do to catch up, or even if it's possible to do so.  It's just a label, not a defined property which can be factored into any meaningful analysis.  So you get self-appointed experts who declare a person doesn't have "what it takes", and rather than being able to say WHY, they just appeal to the talent gods.

If a coach things a players lacks some genetic advantage, they need to say why and in detail or it's flim-flam.  An opinion, open to all the abuse and error that opinion is.  The coach's experience may assist here, or they may be reinforcing unconscious bad practice.  We would never know the difference at the time because proper analysis on "talent" isn't done.  After all, it's obvious, right?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 7:53am
Andy,

So if you agree that the student can be less talented and that in a sport like TT, one individual can outperform the other based on genetic advantages, how do you explain to the student who is less talented but is working his butt off why he isn't doing as well as the more talented student putting in less effort?
Cybershape Carbon
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 8:13am
@ AndySmith - I agree with you...

... Though I believe "talent" exists...

It doesn't mean that those that don't display it at the time "talent" is measured (by whatever measures are used) can't become as good or better than the "talented ones"...

Usain Bolt would have been turned in to a 400M runner in most counties and Lionel Messi typically would not have made it as a footballer in England, because the "talent spotters" would have said Bolt is too tall for 100M's and Messi too small to cut it as a pro footballer...

Identifying potential isn't easy and the culling of those that don't meet the sometimes spurious "talent spotting" measures is at fault...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 8:28am
Not to be evasive, but it depends a lot on context.

If there is an obvious physical advantage, I would be honest about it and encourage harder work from the student to bridge the gap, while remaining realistic about the reality of the situation. Something as simple as height can have a massive impact, especially at early stages of development.

But I'm talking about an obvious advantage. Height with basketball, for example. I can't see any obvious physical advantage in TT. When I mentioned talent in TT above it was a hypothetical case in an attempt to show the fallacy of the influence of it. That's not to say that there aren't physical advantages at work, but while they remain poorly understood then how can accurate decisions be made? A coach may see a disadvantage somewhere, believe fully in "talent", and give up. Another coach might feel that the disadvantageous can be compensated for by specific training or some innovative technique. TT is a sport which supports this kind of variation.

TT is a wonderful sport for diversity. At the pro level we have a variety of shapes, sizes. Sometimes a body type will lead a player down a path to a suitable style, or to suitable training techniques. If a coach decides a player isn't going to make it, and simply cites talent, that's a failing of the coach. There needs to be an actual well defined reason, beyond the label.

It's the baseless influence of talent I dislike and distrust. Who here knows with certainty that they wouldn't be as good as Ma Long if they went through the same life experience as he did?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 8:48am

Not to be evasive, but it depends a lot on context.

If there is an obvious physical advantage, I would be honest about it and encourage harder work from the student to bridge the gap, while remaining realistic about the reality of the situation. Something as simple as height can have a massive impact, especially at early stages of development.

But I'm talking about an obvious advantage. Height with basketball, for example. I can't see any obvious physical advantage in TT. When I mentioned talent in TT above it was a hypothetical case in an attempt to show the fallacy of the influence of it. That's not to say that there aren't physical advantages at work, but while they remain poorly understood then how can accurate decisions be made? A coach may see a disadvantage somewhere, believe fully in "talent", and give up. Another coach might feel that the disadvantageous can be compensated for by specific training or some innovative technique. TT is a sport which supports this kind of variation.

TT is a wonderful sport for diversity. At the pro level we have a variety of shapes, sizes. Sometimes a body type will lead a player down a path to a suitable style, or to suitable training techniques. If a coach decides a player isn't going to make it, and simply cites talent, that's a failing of the coach. There needs to be an actual well defined reason, beyond the label.

It's the baseless influence of talent I dislike and distrust. Who here knows with certainty that they wouldn't be as good as Ma Long if they went through the same life experience as he did?

You are being evasive.  Let's try again.

I know someone who rarely studied in high school - he understood it from class work and rarely ever went home puzzled - and could often do far better than his peers who studied a lot but couldn't understand the teacher.  If you wanted to explain to his peers why someone could understand the teacher immediately, while they spent hours studying after trying to make sense of the teacher, what would you tell the students who were not as quick to grasp the teacher?  That the other student had studied the same material previously (which would be a lie)?

Even in the case of Ma Long or height in sports, it's quite possible if you tested the whole CNT for vision, I wouldn't be surprised if most of them have vision that was significantly better than 20/20 vision.  If you don't know this, but you know someone competing with them who is having trouble keeping up, are you just going to say that they spent more hours training even when the other person is spending similar hours with similar high level coaching?

Remember that many of the CNT players have parents who were high level players as well (not all, but some).  Genes also come from parents, not just education/training.

Edited by NextLevel - 05/02/2015 at 8:51am
Cybershape Carbon
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 8:58am
@NextLevel - one possible explanation that is often true in such cases is that his parents paid more attention to his upbringing and development from early childhood than the parents of his current classmates.  Or maybe he simply read more books as a child.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 9:17am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

@NextLevel - one possible explanation that is often true in such cases is that his parents paid more attention to his upbringing and development from early childhood than the parents of his current classmates.  Or maybe he simply read more books as a child.

That's the usual explanation. And there are reasons that it works as a rationalization - because most kids like that usually have fairly accomplished parents. There are strong exceptions, but you can also rationalize them. And if someone wants to pin something down to an enviromental difference and limit genetic explanations to physical features like height etc. , there is no way I know of to tell them otherwise.   

The one thing I ask them to do is to review the data on identical twins raised apart and see whether the correlations for similar behavior are what they would have predicted before knowing the results. Again, this doesn't always convince them. But it often does make them reflect.
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 9:50am

That's the usual explanation. And there are reasons that it works as a rationalization - because most kids like that usually have fairly accomplished parents. There are strong exceptions, but you can also rationalize them. And if someone wants to pin something down to an enviromental difference and limit genetic explanations to physical features like height etc. , there is no way I know of to tell them otherwise.   

The one thing I ask them to do is to review the data on identical twins raised apart and see whether the correlations for similar behavior are what they would have predicted before knowing the results. Again, this doesn't always convince them. But it often does make them reflect.

I would say that we don't know why this is happening.  Shall we go and find out?  Talk to his family, see if there are any obvious factors at work.  Interesting things often fall out if we bother to shake the tree.  It could be parental influence, it could be a totally surprising result of other behavior which has led to related advantages appearing further down the line.

In just about every case in real life, the context is too complex to be 100% sure.  How do you even compare two different people fully?

Hence the approach of comparing twins, but as you know that isn't perfect either.  They may be identical at birth, but epigenetic factors and differing life experiences will lead to profound differences by the time you start to evaluate them in for complex motor function.  But at least they are closer than two completely unrelated people, yes.  But you have to be SO careful to tease out the actual processes at work.

Back to the eyesight question - I would say to the student with average eyesight - right.  That guy over there has superior vision, and we know that can help in TT (well, let's pretend that this has been proven in a bullet-proof study).  What shall we do?  Work harder is certainly one option - those who find things easier may be lazier.  Or concentrate on areas of the game which are less influenced by super-sight - close-in play, defence, whatever.  I would also point out that several pros wear glasses, so don't be disheartened by any differences in vision - pros have overcome actual below-average vision and still ended up on the world stage.  But I would also say that beating super-sight student isn't the goal, it's to be competitive at a high level.  We might never beat super-sight, but years down the line he might not "make it" due to any number of reasons.

What I WOULDN'T say is to that student is that they lack "talent" and shouldn't proceed.  That there is a list of physical requirements for high-level TT and not ticking all the boxes means doom.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 9:54am

I would say that we don't know why this is happening.  Shall we go and find out?  Talk to his family, see if there are any obvious factors at work.  Interesting things often fall out if we bother to shake the tree.  It could be parental influence, it could be a totally surprising result of other behavior which has led to related advantages appearing further down the line.

In just about every case in real life, the context is too complex to be 100% sure.  How do you even compare two different people fully?

Hence the approach of comparing twins, but as you know that isn't perfect either.  They may be identical at birth, but epigenetic factors and differing life experiences will lead to profound differences by the time you start to evaluate them in for complex motor function.  But at least they are closer than two completely unrelated people, yes.  But you have to be SO careful to tease out the actual processes at work.

Back to the eyesight question - I would say to the student with average eyesight - right.  That guy over there has superior vision, and we know that can help in TT (well, let's pretend that this has been proven in a bullet-proof study).  What shall we do?  Work harder is certainly one option - those who find things easier may be lazier.  Or concentrate on areas of the game which are less influenced by super-sight - close-in play, defence, whatever.  I would also point out that several pros wear glasses, so don't be disheartened by any differences in vision - pros have overcome actual below-average vision and still ended up on the world stage.  But I would also say that beating super-sight student isn't the goal, it's to be competitive at a high level.  We might never beat super-sight, but years down the line he might not "make it" due to any number of reasons.

What I WOULDN'T say is to that student is that they lack "talent" and shouldn't proceed.  That there is a list of physical requirements for high-level TT and not ticking all the boxes means doom.

With identical twins raised apart, the surprise is that they are more similar mentally than one would predict if the influence of environment was as strong as most people would claim.  And that I think is the bottom line.  People talk around it in all sorts of ways, but when you can predict criminal behavior in a twin with high probability from the behavior of one twin, it tells you something.

Moreover, you don't have to *Say* it, but can it be the truth? And in some cases, can it be the naked truth?  Or for you, is there some explanation that can always rationalize it away that lies outside the individuals being compared?

OR your position is that as long as we don't understand it in detail, we should never postulate it?

Edited by NextLevel - 05/02/2015 at 9:57am
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 9:59am

See, I get a little jittery with this kind of thinking when it gets folded into the "talent" concept.  No doubt genetic advantage plays SOME part.  In TT, for example, how much?  It's incredibly hard to say.  You've mentioned the 60/40 split before, but that comes from an inference, it's not modeled on TT directly.  So, we don't really know with any accuracy, we just have a best guess from meta analysis.  Without that knowledge, how much extra training would a 1% less talented person have to do to overcome a 1% more talented person?  It's impossible to know, and we will never know if TT "talent" is allowed to remain an unknowable myth without analysis.

So this cascades down the tree to the lower levels, where someone gets labelled as talented, someone as not, and we have no idea of how much extra (or different, or more innovative) training the non-talented would have to do to catch up, or even if it's possible to do so.  It's just a label, not a defined property which can be factored into any meaningful analysis.  So you get self-appointed experts who declare a person doesn't have "what it takes", and rather than being able to say WHY, they just appeal to the talent gods.

If a coach things a players lacks some genetic advantage, they need to say why and in detail or it's flim-flam.  An opinion, open to all the abuse and error that opinion is.  The coach's experience may assist here, or they may be reinforcing unconscious bad practice.  We would never know the difference at the time because proper analysis on "talent" isn't done.  After all, it's obvious, right?

I am quite certain that with study one could find out some of physical factors that great players share that players who don't get as good don't have to the same degree, and in China it would not surprise me if someone had done that. 

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 10:23am
Well let's see it Baal. Until then, we are left with baseless generalisations like "all the top pros must be talented". Which leads to " I don't seem to be talented, so I can never be a top pro". This is nonsense without hard, physical, testable evidence.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic