FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Yoshimura Serve Techniques

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 11:58am
"As I've said before, I think it is cultural" breaking the service rules and rubber boosting both of which are being passed on to the Junior players by coaches and adult players gives the sport  a great deal of continuity for the future.  
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

So to bring the talk back to his actual serve vs how legal it is or not, what I find interesting is how his wrist is seemingly always in the cocked, reverse pendulum motion.

At least to me this makes sense as I find transitioning, during the balls descent, easier to go to the pendulum wrist action vs the opposite. The reason I say this is because of that dang reverse pendulum serve in the backspin version. I've messed & messed with this serve. The blade must come forward to get any real type of backspin. Any blade motion to the side and you're looking at almost pure sidespin (or some version of corkscrew) after the 2 bounces.

So for me it's just easier to be in the reverse pendulum wrist position ready as I turn my body facing forward if I do the backspin verison. It's just one less thing to do during the serve.. I serve from a closed body position facing the opponent. If I'm looking to do the reverse pendulum serve with side or topspin added, I simply don't rotate my body towards the opponent during the serve. Not needed.

I'm always curious to see how pro players like Yoshimura or Freitas have a good reverse pendulum serve version with backspin included. It's a hard serve to do IMO without having to rotate your body in the open position giving away the serve's deception (easy to see). 

It is the same with pendulum serves, you need to be able to serve very heavy side backspin with your bat pointing downwards. The ball doesn't care how the blade is angled, it only cares where it has been brushed and in what direction at the point of contact. Learn this and you will be able to serve both sidespin and backspin with your bat angled downwards on both your pendulum and reverse pendulum serves with almost the same motion, this will make it ultra hard to read. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

So to bring the talk back to his actual serve vs how legal it is or not, what I find interesting is how his wrist is seemingly always in the cocked, reverse pendulum motion.

At least to me this makes sense as I find transitioning, during the balls descent, easier to go to the pendulum wrist action vs the opposite. The reason I say this is because of that dang reverse pendulum serve in the backspin version. I've messed & messed with this serve. The blade must come forward to get any real type of backspin. Any blade motion to the side and you're looking at almost pure sidespin (or some version of corkscrew) after the 2 bounces.

So for me it's just easier to be in the reverse pendulum wrist position ready as I turn my body facing forward if I do the backspin verison. It's just one less thing to do during the serve.. I serve from a closed body position facing the opponent. If I'm looking to do the reverse pendulum serve with side or topspin added, I simply don't rotate my body towards the opponent during the serve. Not needed.

I'm always curious to see how pro players like Yoshimura or Freitas have a good reverse pendulum serve version with backspin included. It's a hard serve to do IMO without having to rotate your body in the open position giving away the serve's deception (easy to see). 

The trick is that they are usually contacting the ball much earlier in their service motion than you think they are.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Gman4911, why don't you umpire a few matches and show how us how it's to be done?

The hardest part of making a call like this is sucking it up and preparing to deal with the backlash because pretty much no other umpires are making the call.  The mechanics of making this call are NOT that hard.

Most people have pretty good depth perception and should be able to tell if the ball goes behind the server's head.  In fact, that's one of the values of videos like this one.  It shows clearly how fully the ball is hidden and shows the kind of body posture and motion that is used to get this result.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 10:54pm
My theory is that ITTF officials are calling thing the way they sre instructed to because it provides a reasonable balance between serve and return. They did not ever intend to fundamentally change the sport.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

My theory is that ITTF officials are calling thing the way they sre instructed to because it provides a reasonable balance between serve and return. They did not ever intend to fundamentally change the sport.

If so, then they are making a mockery out of the rule making process since the rules are clearly written so that marginal or questionable serves would be called.  It is the rules themselves that are supposed to strike the balance.  If they fail, then they are supposed to be amended. Such an instruction not only subverts that process, it flies in the face of the whole notion of an umpire being an impartial arbiter.  The ITTF Handbook for Match Officials has specific warnings about that kind of thing.

I see enough players serving primarily backhand serves successfully that I don't think such an argument holds much weight anyway. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2015 at 12:12am
+1
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2015 at 12:37pm

Wrong
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2015 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

It is the rules themselves that are supposed to strike the balance.  If they fail, then they are supposed to be amended.

That would require someone admitting they were wrong.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2015 at 7:21pm

It is the rules themselves that are supposed to strike the balance.  If they fail, then they are supposed to be amended.

That would require someone admitting they were wrong.

Not really.  You have to actually enforce them first in order to determine whether or not they are working.  From what I've seen, they've never been enforced.  In fact the whole "triangle" rule was added to improve enforcement.  So now they just ignore the triangle rule as well.  
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2015 at 7:25pm
Working for what? 

As you know, I thought those rules were completely unnecessary and served no useful purpose so the fact they do not call them does not bother me in the least -- except people seem to get really upset about it.  I think watching ITTF table tennis is as enjoyable as ever. 

The one thing I would add is that pro players return serve so well that it is pretty rare to see a video like we did that started this thread.  This guy's serves are pretty much average for pro players in terms of hiding them, but they are awesome in terms of deceptiveness and variation.

Too many people want to take the serve out of the game, like people who advocate for BH only serves.  It's a racket sport.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2015 at 7:51pm

Working for what? 

Oh geez ... for their intended purpose ... whatever it is that you think that they'd have to admit that they were wrong about.  

As you know, I thought those rules were completely unnecessary and served no useful purpose so the fact they do not call them does not bother me in the least -- except people seem to get really upset about it.  I think watching ITTF table tennis is as enjoyable as ever. 

Right.  Which, I think, informs your explanation for why the umpires aren't making the calls. 

As you know, the thing that bothers me isn't the rules per se, but that they create an advantage for players willing to break them and a disadvantage for players who endeavor to play by the actual rules.  

The one thing I would add is that pro players return serve so well that it is pretty rare to see a video like we did that started this thread.  This guy's serves are pretty much average for pro players in terms of hiding them, but they are awesome in terms of deceptiveness and variation.

Too many people want to take the serve out of the game, like people who advocate for BH only serves.  It's a racket sport.

Actually, I think he hides the ball significantly more than average.  He's actually hiding the contact point at times.  

And I don't know of hardly anybody who wants to take the serve out of the game.  There are people like me who would like to see the rules either be enforced or be changed so that the game will be played fairly.  Telling a player that he needs to clear his arm and hand, that he can't block the ball with his head, that he's not allowed to toss the ball backwards hardly takes the serve out of the game.  And even something as radical (and unnecessary IMO) as BH only doesn't take the serve out of the sport.  I see too many players who use that serve very effectively to buy into that.  Probably over 90% of my serves are backhand.  Though I keep planning on changing that so that I too can enjoy the advantage many of my opponents gain using sideways tosses and ball shielding.  

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2015 at 9:32pm

And I don't know of hardly anybody who wants to take the serve out of the game.  There are people like me who would like to see the rules either be enforced or be changed so that the game will be played fairly.  Telling a player that he needs to clear his arm and hand, that he can't block the ball with his head, that he's not allowed to toss the ball backwards hardly takes the serve out of the game.  And even something as radical (and unnecessary IMO) as BH only doesn't take the serve out of the sport.  I see too many players who use that serve very effectively to buy into that.  Probably over 90% of my serves are backhand.  Though I keep planning on changing that so that I too can enjoy the advantage many of my opponents gain using sideways tosses and ball shielding.  

Assuming that the current rules either cannot or will not be enforced, what changes to the rules would you propose so that the game could be played fairly?  Is there any other possibility besides forcing the ball to be visible to both umpires for the duration of the serve?

Edit: Assuming we do not reintroduce hidden serves...

Edited by Ringer84 - 09/06/2015 at 9:38pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2015 at 10:20pm

Actually, I think he hides the ball significantly more than average.  He's actually hiding the contact point at times.  

I strongly disagree.
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2015 at 11:13pm

[/QUOTE]

Assuming that the current rules either cannot or will not be enforced, what changes to the rules would you propose so that the game could be played fairly?  Is there any other possibility besides forcing the ball to be visible to both umpires for the duration of the serve?

[/QUOTE]

The intent of the rule restricting hidden serves could not have been to create a level playing field. Since both players were previously allowed to hide their serves, the game was already fair. It was just a matter of who could serve more skillfully and/or deceptively. It is clear the intent was to make the game more watchable/marketable by restricting the service to make for easier returns and therefore increasing the amount of longer, enjoyable rallies. But, the rule failed as it is difficult to enforce due to its subjectivity.

So, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, here's a half-baked idea that I haven't heard mentioned:

1) Eliminate the rule restricting hidden serves. This would solve much of the controversy over illegal serves.
2) Add a visible seam to the ball. This would simultaneously reduce the advantage of hidden serves, and keep the initial intent of the rule to make serve receives easier.

While we're at it...if the ball had a visible seam, then the 'unfair' advantage of frictionless LPs would be reduced too. So, we can go ahead and lift the ban on them too.

*To be clear, I think part 1) of my plan would be sufficient, and part 2) is kinda silly Wink.

Edited by ndotson - 09/06/2015 at 11:16pm
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2015 at 12:12am
Quote The intent of the rule restricting hidden serves could not have been to create a level playing field. Since both players were previously allowed to hide their serves, the game was already fair. It was just a matter of who could serve more skillfully and/or deceptively. It is clear the intent was to make the game more watchable/marketable by restricting the service to make for easier returns and therefore increasing the amount of longer, enjoyable rallies. But, the rule failed as it is difficult to enforce due to its subjectivity.

So, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, here's a half-baked idea that I haven't heard mentioned:

1) Eliminate the rule restricting hidden serves. This would solve much of the controversy over illegal serves.
2) Add a visible seam to the ball. This would simultaneously reduce the advantage of hidden serves, and keep the initial intent of the rule to make serve receives easier.

While we're at it...if the ball had a visible seam, then the 'unfair' advantage of frictionless LPs would be reduced too. So, we can go ahead and lift the ban on them too.

*To be clear, I think part 1) of my plan would be sufficient, and part 2) is kinda silly Wink.

Not only do I not think you're an idiot, but I think it's the exact direction the ITTF should go in.  Part 2 of your plan is not silly in the least.  The Chinese Super League has already experimented with a seamed, two-toned ball previously. Also, as I mentioned in a previous thread, service return techniques have advanced and the new plastic balls are less spinny than ever.  Receivers are at less of a disadvantage than ever before in our sport, and I would have no problem with reintroducing hidden serves if it means putting an end to the constant bickering.

Edited by Ringer84 - 09/07/2015 at 12:18am
Timo Boll Spirit
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2015 at 12:18am

I strongly disagree.

Is the disagreement that he is hiding the contact point or that he is hiding the ball more than average?

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2015 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

You've taken away the two options that I consider appropriate.  I think we should either do away with the hidden serve rules, or simply start enforcing them.  I simply do not agree that they are as difficult to enforce as many others do.  I won't bore everybody with re-hashing why.  

I think the main problem is one of will and desire.  It makes no sense to me to come up with additional new restrictions when there is such a strongly demonstrated lack of will in enforcing serve rules. Unless you make radical changes, you are likely to end up right back where we are with poor enforcement.  And even with radical change, you could still find that problem if the umpires start picking and choosing among the new rules just as they do now.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2015 at 12:43am

Not only do I not think you're an idiot, but I think it's the exact direction the ITTF should go in.  Part 2 of your plan is not silly in the least.  The Chinese Super League has already experimented with a seamed, two-toned ball previously. Also, as I mentioned in a previous thread, service return techniques have advanced and the new plastic balls are less spinny than ever.  Receivers are at less of a disadvantage than ever before in our sport, and I would have no problem with reintroducing hidden serves if it means putting an end to the constant bickering.

I think I'm going to draft a letter suggesting that the USATT submit a proposal to the ITTF for the next AGM to get rid of the hidden serve and vertical ball toss rules since they are routinely ignored.  Let's get rid of this charade and make life easier on everyone.

And if the membership won't agree to the elimination of those rules, then the next step is to insist upon enforcement.

Edited by wturber - 09/07/2015 at 12:44am
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2015 at 12:44am
The Chinese Super League article is interesting. I don't know if I agree with this paragraph:

"The reason behind this is that the organisers and the Chinese Table Tennis Association would want ordinary fans to understand the sport more. With the use of the two-toned balls, the rotation will be much more visible during competitions and this will make fans appreciate the sport more."

I have some of these two-toned balls. I've used them to help teach spin to my kids. You can see the rotation when you're at the table or very close by. But, if you're away from the table and there is heavy spin on the ball, it's pretty much a blur.
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2015 at 10:49am

I strongly disagree.

Is the disagreement that he is hiding the contact point or that he is hiding the ball more than average?

Mostly with hiding the ball more than average.  I need to go back and watch the entire video to see if I can see the contact point each time.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2015 at 10:50am
I am ok with solutions 1 and 2.  I don't think the big seam will help much but I have no problem with it. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2015 at 12:43pm

I am ok with solutions 1 and 2.  I don't think the big seam will help much but I have no problem with it. 

It will kill backspin vs. no spin combinations for all but the most incompetent returners.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2015 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

It will kill backspin vs. no spin combinations for all but the most incompetent returners.

Agreed.  I'm one of the most incompetent returners out there, and even I can read a no spin serve if there's a giant black seam on the ball.  But I suppose that's part of the idea - to reintroduce the hidden serve and simplify the rules   whilst simultaneously negating at least some of the server's advantage.

I personally would have no problem just reintroducing hidden serves WITHOUT the seamed ball and just see how it goes.  If people start complaining about the server having too much of an advantage and it's "ruining" the game again, then bring on the seamed ball.

Edited by Ringer84 - 09/07/2015 at 1:01pm
Timo Boll Spirit
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2015 at 1:36pm
The suggestion to bring back hidden serves opens old wounds.  I once lost to a coached kid whose win was due mostly to his hidden serves.  I was an eighth grader back then and that was my very first exposure to the concept of hiding serves and gluing(man, was that click loud).  As a shakehander, he had a technical edge over me who was playing Jpen.  Having a coach in the back watching for your flaws did not help either.  I fought a hard battle to make it to the 3rd and final game.  That's when he pulled out the big guns.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2015 at 3:51pm
I still don't mind a big black seam.  My "no spin" serve always has enough spin to probably be a blur with a big black seam.  My spinny serve is actually just spinnier.  

When returning serve if someone hides the ball part of the way down with their head I really don't care at all.  I am focused on the point of contact between ball and blade. 

This guy Yoshimura, I am going to study him closely.  He has so many ways to be insanely deceptive.  It is really rare to see world's top 20 to be this messed up.  Looking at the video again several times, though, I am starting to think that Jay may have a point when he says he is actually hiding the point of contact.  I think I don't "strongly disagree" anymore.  I am not sure what the returner would be seeing.  I think his serves would be filthy and sneaky (in a good way) even if he didn't.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 2:58am

I still don't mind a big black seam.  My "no spin" serve always has enough spin to probably be a blur with a big black seam.  My spinny serve is actually just spinnier.  

When returning serve if someone hides the ball part of the way down with their head I really don't care at all.  I am focused on the point of contact between ball and blade. 

This guy Yoshimura, I am going to study him closely.  He has so many ways to be insanely deceptive.  It is really rare to see world's top 20 to be this messed up.  Looking at the video again several times, though, I am starting to think that Jay may have a point when he says he is actually hiding the point of contact.  I think I don't "strongly disagree" anymore.  I am not sure what the returner would be seeing.  I think his serves would be filthy and sneaky (in a good way) even if he didn't.

Yeah.  Keep in mind that the slo-mo camera angle is substantially lower than the receiver's eye level. It is also further to the left.  This behind the head serve hides the racket motion a LOT.  Now there is no rule about hiding the racket.  But if you are obstructing the ball up until the very last moment before contact, one of the benefits is that you can also hide more of the the racket more easily than if you didn't obscure the ball at all.  

Note that in the practice session video he doesn't hide the ball as much or as long.  I can't read Japanese, but it looks like those are earlier videos.  So he has clearly evolved his serve to hid the ball more.  Frankly, his head hiding seams as effective as the arm/hand hiding that I've seen.  I think I'll use this video as Exhibit A for my argument that the ITTF simply doesn't care about enforcing these rules.

As for the black seam on the ball, I can imagine players subverting the intent a bit by carefully orienting the ball's seam before serving.  If I keep the seam perpendicular to the table, it becomes harder to detect topspin/underspin/deadball.  It may require two seams that are perpendicular to each other to make the spin more obvious in most situations.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 10:22am
My favorite serve in this video came at the :53 second mark.  I think it gives you a good idea of how short the acceleration at contact of a pro player is.  I had a hard time even telling whether this serve was regular pendulum or reverse pendulum the first time I saw it.

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=WiuMB7yYRDI&p=n#/52;60

Edit: Ignoring the fact that the serve is almost certainly not visible to the receiver at contact.

Edited by Ringer84 - 09/08/2015 at 10:34am
Timo Boll Spirit
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 12:11pm

My favorite serve in this video came at the :53 second mark.  I think it gives you a good idea of how short the acceleration at contact of a pro player is.  I had a hard time even telling whether this serve was regular pendulum or reverse pendulum the first time I saw it.

I think it's reverse pendulum with very short contact. Looks like a mostly sidespin serve with no backspin, at least clearly from the subsequent bounces it's not heavy underspin. It's a bit too long, so it's fully loop-able.

If he can do the same serve with very short contact and get heavy underspin, that'll be amazing. 

You can do a very short contact serve that basically dies and the receiver could misinterpret it as heavy underspin when the paddle fails to grip the ball.
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 4:41pm
Hoo boy hoo boy hoo boy!  The eternal what if anything to do about illegal/hidden serves problem.

I've been posting to table tennis forums since 1998 (the good ol' hide the contact with your forearm and stomp voraciously before, during, or after contact) and now it's 2015 and we are still beating this cayuse to death.

Let me see if I can sum up the schools of thought on the service situation without coming across as overly sarcastic.

One school of thought holds that a service is legal so long as an umpire or one's opponent allows it.  Otherwise known as the de facto position.  Makes a screwy sort of sense if you hold that when a shoplifter pilfers a carton or two of cigarettes from a convenience store and a cop sitting nearby in his patrol car noshing on a Dunkin' Donut while swilling a cup of coffee ignores this indiscretion, no crime is committed.

A second position holds that the ITTF rules regarding service probably should be enforced, but that the rules regarding service are insufficiently clear so as to determine what is a legal serve and what isn't. 
Besides, if I can return effectively, or at least safely, the other guy's serve, no harm no foul.

Still a third position holds that rules, even if they don't make sense to you personally, are meant to be enforced in sport, or what the hell, let's all play dodgeball.  I rather incline towards this position, as much out of fear as anything else, as a cursory check on ancestry.com tells me that I am a distant descendant of Cotton "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" Mather.  I serve legally because I don't want to spend an eternity trying to read impossibly ridiculous spins in Table Tennis Hell.
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic