Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yoshimura Serve Techniques

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 6:06pm
Berndt, I would compare it more to the strike zone in baseball, where different umpires call things a little differently.
Sponsored Links

lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 6:16pm
The difference is that in baseball they actually make calls on every pitch, and on many other issues related to the game in progress.If they are unsure they can consult the video replay.   TT even at the international level is more a pick up game  from a rules point of view and below that it hardly exists except on paper.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Berndt, I would compare it more to the strike zone in baseball, where different umpires call things a little differently.

If the umpires were calling balls that hit the dirt two feet in front of the plate a steeee-RIKE, then I'd perhaps agree.  The degree of disregard for the serve rules in table tennis goes well beyond the subjectivity of balls and strikes in baseball.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

The difference is that in baseball they actually make calls on every pitch, and on many other issues related to the game in progress.If they are unsure they can consult the video replay.   TT even at the international level is more a pick up game  from a rules point of view and below that it hardly exists except on paper.

Even though they don't verbalize the call when a serve is deemed legal, an umpire is supposed to be actively determining "legal/not legal" on every serve. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 7:30pm

Here's a better baseball comparison:

Imagine the MLB makes a rule prohibiting the catcher from signaling a pitch to the pitcher. This effectively reduces the amount help from the catcher and reduces the pitcher's advantage. The problem is the home plate umpire can't tell if the catcher is signaling or not. The 3rd base umpire can tell most of the time if the catcher is illegally signaling, but it's difficult to tell. The pitcher and the catcher create new ways to signal without being called on it. Batters and their coaches whine and moan about cheating pitchers and catchers. The rule also doesn't work at all in non-pro games without a 3rd base umpire.

The MLB realizes the rule doesn't add anything positive to the game, but rather takes away from the integrity of the game. They wisely decide to eliminate the dumb rule, and everyone lived happily ever after.
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 7:31pm
The more I think about this, the more I become convinced that there are just TOO MANY freaking service rules in table tennis.  Honestly, there should only be 2 rules:

1. The ball should be tossed at least 6 inches in height. 

2. The ball shall be tossed from the palm of the hand and above the height of the endline. (To prevent fingerspin serves)

Seriously, that's all that's needed.

"Oh, but I can't see the ball and the server is hiding contact!"  Who cares?  Learn to read how the ball bounces on the table and work on a good hidden serve yourself.  The ball is bigger and less spinny now than the 38mm era, and we can always add a seam to the ball if we feel the server has gained too much of an advantage.

"Oh, he's throwing the ball backwards and getting more spin!" Again, who cares?  Learn to read the ball on the table and try to watch  the trajectory of your opponent's toss more closely.  Take this into account in your read.  As long as the server is throwing the ball up in the air 6 inches, then I consider that he's throwing the ball up "vertically".

There's just way too much crap for the umpires to be looking for.  Get rid of all these stupid rules, let the umpires focus on the height of the toss,  and let's just play ball.

Edited by Ringer84 - 09/08/2015 at 7:35pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

Even though they don't verbalize the call when a serve is deemed legal, an umpire is supposed to be actively determining "legal/not legal" on every serve. 

+1 
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

The more I think about this, the more I become convinced that there are just TOO MANY freaking service rules in table tennis.  Honestly, there should only be 2 rules:

2. The ball shall be tossed from the palm of the hand and above the height of the endline. (To prevent fingerspin serves)

The rules started out about that simple.  Additions were not made for no reason.  The first problem I see is the issue of stationary.  Or maybe you don't care about that either.  And I'm not sure why you care about fingerspin serves.

The main problem with serves is hiding the ball and non-vertical tosses.  These things just aren't that hard to call - especially given the way the rules are written asking the umpire to be pretty certain that the serve is legal.    If umpires actually called strictly as intended, players would quickly adapt and the whole thing would be over in a matter of a few months at the pro levels.  It'd take longer for the amateurs.

Edited by wturber - 09/08/2015 at 8:54pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 9:26pm
I understand that additions to the rules were not made for no reason, but those additions were made in a different era and their application in this era is no longer integral. As I said, the ball no longer carries as much spin and service receive techniques have advanced in this era.

Fingerspin serves should not ever be allowed under any circumstances, as they go against the spirit of the game. We play a racket sport, and the skill and dexterity used to produce spin should be created entirely by the racket. Although hidden serves might make the game a little too deceptive for some people's tastes, you still have to create spin with the paddle and not your fingertips.

Thinking twice, I would agree with you about the need for a rule regarding a stationary hand. Make it 3 rules then!
Timo Boll Spirit
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 10:51pm

I understand that additions to the rules were not made for no reason, but those additions were made in a different era and their application in this era is no longer integral. As I said, the ball no longer carries as much spin and service receive techniques have advanced in this era.

Fingerspin serves should not ever be allowed under any circumstances, as they go against the spirit of the game. We play a racket sport, and the skill and dexterity used to produce spin should be created entirely by the racket. Although hidden serves might make the game a little too deceptive for some people's tastes, you still have to create spin with the paddle and not your fingertips.

Thinking twice, I would agree with you about the need for a rule regarding a stationary hand. Make it 3 rules then!

The spirit of the game!!!???  Skill and dexterity for spin production created entirely by the racket?  Then let the rackets play the game:  who needs human beings? 

Rant time once again:  The "spirit of the game" has been corrupted at least since the development and use of speed glues.  It wasn't all that Simon pure at the beginning of the last century either, when banjo batters would sprinkle emery powder or ground glass on to their vellum covered rackets in order to have a better shot at the possibility of 15 minutes of early 20th century fame. 

Fingerspin serves were banned first by the USTTA and then the ITTF in the mid- and late 1930s.  They did go against the spirit of the game, but breaking off a good fingerspin can be a lot of vicarious fun, though you and I will never be able to do them as well as Schiff and McClure could (both, BTW, were world class players even when fingerspins were banned).
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 11:05pm
Quiz time, Ringer84:

Name three ways to (try to) safely return serves with combinations of sidespin, underspin, corkscrewspin or topspin.  Name one way to return such services in order to force an error or produce a winner.  Discuss the risk factors involved in the possibilities of returning services, especially if you only have hundredths of a second to judge the amount of spin imparted by a server who hides contact with the ball from your view so that your recourse is to judge the amount, type, height, and depth of spin on the ball once it hits your side of the table.

Fun, huh?  Play ball!

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2015 at 11:22pm
I would love to "step up to the plate" and "take a swing" at your challenge, berndt, but I am a mere 1780 level usatt player, a true "benchwarmer" if you will in a world of juiced up big leaguers. Since I know I can only come up with 2 or maybe 2 and a half responses to each of your scenarios, I think I'm going to resign myself to the fact that returning hidden serves effectively is, indeed, impossible. Since I didn't play in the hidden serve era, maybe you guys can inform me:

Did any receiver ever actually score a point in that era? How about 2 points? Anyone ever get to 2?!

Edited by Ringer84 - 09/08/2015 at 11:41pm
Timo Boll Spirit
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2015 at 12:59am

My favorite serve in this video came at the :53 second mark.  I think it gives you a good idea of how short the acceleration at contact of a pro player is.  I had a hard time even telling whether this serve was regular pendulum or reverse pendulum the first time I saw it.

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=WiuMB7yYRDI&p=n#/52;60

Edit: Ignoring the fact that the serve is almost certainly not visible to the receiver at contact.

This is a standard hook serve, just like Par Gerell's and Wang Hao's which would have similar spin to a reverse pendulum. I also use this serve quite frequently with a less elaborate motion. In fact this one probably is more sidespin as it doesn't have a lot forward motion that is required for backspin serves. The deceptive backspin version has the wrist jerking forwards then moving sideways. The sidespin version tends to look a bit smoother. 

I earn lots of free points with this hook serve where people dump my serves into the net initially as they have the "hook serve = sidespin" mentality thinking that I can't possibly generate meaningful backspin. It works again and again as I keep on increasing the backspin. LOL Then when they finally realize it is backspin, just throw in a sidespin or no-spin version to confuse them further.

Problem with hook serves is keeping it short, especially with serves to the FH. It feels a lot harder to keep it short compared to regular pendulum and reverse pendulum, due to less dwell time. 

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2015 at 3:20pm
For those that feel TT has too many rules here is the rules of Cricket along with the role of umpires:

https://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/hosking/cricket/explanation.htm?#basics
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2015 at 4:21pm

"Oh, but I can't see the ball and the server is hiding contact!"  Who cares?  Learn to read how the ball bounces on the table and work on a good hidden serve yourself.  The ball is bigger and less spinny now than the 38mm era, and we can always add a seam to the ball if we feel the server has gained too much of an advantage.

"Oh, he's throwing the ball backwards and getting more spin!" Again, who cares?  Learn to read the ball on the table and try to watch  the trajectory of your opponent's toss more closely.  Take this into account in your read.  As long as the server is throwing the ball up in the air 6 inches, then I consider that he's throwing the ball up "vertically".

There's just way too much crap for the umpires to be looking for.  Get rid of all these stupid rules, let the umpires focus on the height of the toss,  and let's just play ball.

Thumbs Up
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2015 at 8:04pm

The hidden ball rules were made after the 40mm ball was introduced.  They are fairly modern, starting in 2002.  

If receive techniques have advanced, then surely serve techniques have as well. The original reasons seem likely to still be applicable to me.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2015 at 9:56pm
Thanks for the correction.

Let me just go ahead and say that I really do think table tennis is better without hidden serves. I really do wish that the current rules would function. I would love if every professional player was willing to serve like Samsonov, if every umpire was competent and willing to enforce the rules as written, if we had the resources to add a third umpire behind the receiver to more accurately gauge visibility, if players stopped bitching every time their serve got faulted, etc. The rules as currently formulated truly are ideal, as they strike the perfect balance between banning hidden serves and not limiting the creativity of the servers and their repotoire of serves. But the fact of the matter is that we don't live in an ideal world and all the things that need to come together to make the current service rules work just aren't happening. I don't see much hope for changing this culture in the future, either. Sometimes I think rules sound good in theory, but just don't pan out in practice. I think we are at the stage where we can now say that the banning of hidden serves was a failure, and it's time to go back to a time when we at least weren't at each others' throats. Besides, the question of visibility will always be an issue in non-umpired matches, regardless of whether the rule is perfectly formulated or poorly formulated.

Some players might think that hidden serves give too much of an advantage to the server, but I think such a slight imbalance is a small price to pay if it means putting an end to the constant bickering and controversy. I'm sure table tennis was a lot of fun in the hidden serve era, and I can't see why it wouldn't be fun now either.

Edited by Ringer84 - 09/09/2015 at 10:05pm
Timo Boll Spirit
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2015 at 10:25pm
The 40+ balls have hurt servers (probably more than the switch from 38 to 40).  They spin less, react more off the table.  Right now, even with matches called they way they are, the balance between server and receiver in table tennis is much more nearly even in table tennis than it is in tennis and most other racket sports, especially with just about everybody able to do banana flick returns.  That has markedly changed the picture, more than any developments in serving (which mainly increased use of reverse pendulum serves and hook serves).  I disagree with the premise that hidden serves ever hurt table tennis, but in any case, other things have changed since 2002.  I think Ringer has it exactly correct.  These rules have hurt the sport more than they helped it IMHO.

By the way, people clearly have changed the way they serve as a result of these rules.  Go watch some video of Gatien in his day and you can see what people did when they were really trying hard to hide a serve. 

I for one like watching ITTF matches.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic