Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

boll alc vs maze off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PringlesRingles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PringlesRingles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boll alc vs maze off
    Posted: 10/09/2015 at 5:20pm
Anyone played with both or/and have a good understanding of these blades compared to each other?
Sponsored Links

rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 5:24pm
Do you mean the michael maze ALC vs boll ALC
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 5:43pm
Boll is stiffer and bouncier at the table. Maze ALC is at least as powerful (as it gets some of its power from flex), has more feel and can deliver more spin variation (because of flex and limba outer).

Boll ALC is more popular with very high level players (> USATT 2300) as they don't have to worry about relative numbness for good touch or less favorable koto outer for generating good spin at table. It is better for power looping away from table.

Re: control, depends on what you mean by it. Most say Maze has better control (as you can generate more spin variation to vary your stroke & it is less bouncy at table). However, others imply stiffer blade naturally gives better control (as there is more precision on where ball shall land assuming you're good enough to get it back on table).

Edited by slevin - 10/09/2015 at 5:45pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 9:30pm
I probably take a different view about this kind of thing compared to a lot of people here, but I don't think it needs that much of a technical reply about this wood or that wood. 

At the end of the day, I think the question of which handle you like better ends up being more important, especially comparing these two blades.  The handle shapes in these two series are quite different.  The only way to know which shape works better for you is to try it because that is a very individual thing.  Beyond handle shape (which EJ threads here rarely mention but which affects how you play a lot), the main Btfly ALC blades of this era (except for IF) are enough alike that once you are accustomed to one or the other, you will be fine with playing properties of the wood itself.  You can loop very effectively with either one.  Neither one is too stiff or numb.  I have hit with a lot of nice Maze blades, but the only one I actually bought was un-playably fast.  With all of these blades, no two are exactly alike. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PringlesRingles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 1:05am
I actually tried a the maze blade with a st handle, but it feels soooo square in the handle, compared to the donic blades, which I used for a few years. Maybe it's a habital thing but is the Boll ALC st handle as square? 
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 4:17am
Originally posted by PringlesRingles PringlesRingles wrote:

I actually tried a the maze blade with a st handle, but it feels soooo square in the handle, compared to the donic blades, which I used for a few years. Maybe it's a habital thing but is the Boll ALC st handle as square?<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> </span>

The M. Maze ST handle is square (SQ), smooth and one of, if not the best, SQ handle ever for my big hands...

Timo Boll ALC handle is SQ and not so smooth or rounded...

If you don't like the M. Maze handle, I doubt you will like the Boll ALC Handle...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 10:59am

I actually tried a the maze blade with a st handle, but it feels soooo square in the handle, compared to the donic blades, which I used for a few years. Maybe it's a habital thing but is the Boll ALC st handle as square? 

TB-ALC will feel different in your hand than a Maze, and I personally find the TB-ALC to be more comfortable.  This is all very much an individual thing.  Only way to know is to hold one and better yet play with one.  To me the Maze handle has many sharp edges.

Another option is the ZJK-ALC or TBS.  I have not held a TBS ST in my hand in a very long time but if my memory is correct, it is somewhat more round than the others.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PringlesRingles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 11:28am
Does the outer layers differ between the blades and do the size of blades differ too? I mean the size where the rubber is placed.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 11:33am
Sorry, can't tell you about blade size.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 1:19pm
Baal - You say the M. Maze ALC ST handle has sharpe edges ...

Did you hold a fake..?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 4:35pm
Nope.  Held one today (actually it was completely coincidental, a new guy came into the club who had one).  I think the term sharp edges was probably the not the right way to describe it, but anyway, not comfortable for me.  My main point being handle matters a lot and only way to know if you like something is to try it.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Nope.  Held one today (actually it was completely coincidental, a new guy came into the club who had one).  I think the term sharp edges was probably the not the right way to describe it, but anyway, not comfortable for me.  My main point being handle matters a lot and only way to know if you like something is to try it.

To be honest that's what I feel about blades now too. My old TB ALC FL was a great blade but the handle was just too small for me. The right handle matters a lot.
Main:
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm

Chopper:
Stratus Power Defense 85g
FH: Hybrid K3 max
BH: Grass D.TecS 0.9mm

USATT: 1725
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 8:07am
I totally agree, handle preference is really important to me too. Hence we try to get descriptions right as a guide...
Bolterixus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolterixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 8:11am
It might be a little bit of topic, but when I looked at the prices they were quite high for these blades. Would it make a huge difference of buying a £40 blade like stratus power wood than like a £135 Timo Boll ZLC?
Blade: Primorac OFF-
FH: Bryce Speed FX
BH: Sriver
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 10:43am
I think the Stratus Powerwood is a very good blade and I personally like it's handle very much.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 11:20am
Hopefully you can either test a blade from a club mate or do enough online research and plan to stick with your purchase...

There are some really good value blades to be had. Eg. My brother plays with a not so popular Tibhar C7 and plays great with it...

Tibhar ST handles are not as SQ as the M. Maze or TB range, they are long enough and are pretty comfortable...
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 11:46am

Yeah, Boll ALC ST handle is also a SQST, just like the Maze. (Same with Mizutani, TBS, TB ZLF, etc.)

New ZJK series blades use the more rounded ST handles.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 11:47am

Does the outer layers differ between the blades and do the size of blades differ too? I mean the size where the rubber is placed.

Outer layers are different but the size of the blade face is the same. 150x157mm.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic