FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How often and what do you practice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tt12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How often and what do you practice
    Posted: 07/27/2006 at 1:30pm

I have played table tennis for 6 years about twice a week, and took lessons from time to time (after I lost my games). My rating barely passed the 1000 range.  I am still trying to figure out how to improve my BH, trying out the rubbers that people are claiming to be so good). But, I believe I should do better if I could better use my practice time.

Druing your practice, do you insist on spending some time on your basic strokes like looping, smashing until you feel comfortable, or do you always like to practice new skills like improving your RPB, a new stroke or trying a fancy new rubber... I found that I lost a lot of easy points during my game (may be due to poor or lack of practice of basic strokes).

By the way, how do the professionls practice (e.g. do they insist on spending at least some hours every day for basic strokes like looping, smashing..), then they practice new, fancy skills, rubbers..    

Sponsored Links

O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2006 at 11:56pm

you also have to practice drills like using what you know in a practice game.

BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
BigJ99678 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigJ99678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2006 at 1:15am

i train 2 days a week for 2 hour sessions. the first hour of each session is just fh, bh basics. then the last hour we do game situations that i was weak on the previous lesson. My trainer personally does a lot of game situations and "basics", but he used to be on his providence's national team in china and that is how he said they do all their training. (very aggravating and tiring to do a fh loop 500 times before you do something new)

i also play at a club nearly every free day possible, which is about 3 times a week. also practice your serves LIKE CRAZY. such a simple part of the game and you never want to mess up on something that can be fixed by a few hours of practicing.

also  i might add, playing 2 days a week is nearly impossible to get better. you have to at least play 3-4 days a week to show inprovement, or so i have read in a lot of articles.

You're lucky I suck
tt12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2006 at 1:18am

That is what I am thinking. I might want to assign say,

15 minutes forehand

15 minutes backhand

15 minutes forehand and backhand combined

15 minutes backhand and forehand  together

These are very basic and necesary strokes that we need to win

Then, I might drill for a new technique if I find one interesting. 

Easy to say, but it is hard to find a partner that also thinks this way. 

AZNpenholdloop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZNpenholdloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2006 at 1:29am
get a coach, i found out finding a good pratice partner to do drills with is impossible, unless you live in a highly dense area of people(big city), with a high volume of TT players(very large clubs, etc).
Avalox 550
FH: Blue Whale II Factory Tuned 38 deg.
BH: White Shark II Factory Tuned
tt12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2006 at 2:05am

Thank you BigJ, ARN and friends. Yes, I need to be more dedicated to get better. I think you make a fortune if you find a good coach. I mean if the coach really cares about you, and not only the tuition fees.

BigJ, I really like your training routine. I don't mind if I get a chance like you. Are you a professional table tennis player(or preparing yourself to be a professional)?If not, how many years have been doing this training routine, and what rating do u have (I want to estimate what my rating will be if I follow this routine).  

I live in Canada, and table tennis is just my favourite hobby.  'the first hour of each session is just fh, bh basics; the second hour we do game situations' These 2 hours routine is an excellent guideline. 

BigJ99678 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigJ99678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2006 at 7:55pm

yea i was very fortunate to find this guy, it was a COMPLETE FLUKE. i had just finished with another local trainer and was looking for something a little different, and i stumbled upon this guy. i can actually thank ALINK for this guy because he also trains with him and alink refered me to him. No i am not a professional, BUT EXTREAMLY DEDICATED ( im crazy about sports). I played baseball for 15 years, and was really good, untill i had a series of injuries (tendonitis, torn labium, torn rotator cuff) that kept me going any further. however after 2 very depressing years i discoverd table tennis and started to play. after a year and a half of on and off training and somewhat consistent club play i finally took it very serious this summer. once i met this steve guy he took me from a 1650 player ( US ) to 2000 in less than 2 months, on top of his training i had clubs to go to every day and i average about 4-5 days a week of playing 6 hrs a days for 3 months, VERY HELPFUL TO MY GAME. i am 22 years old now and i have no real pro expectations, BUT i will PROMISE i will be the best i can given the time frame i have.

I also am very fortunate to have a handful of dedicated juniors in the state ( who are all very cool and enjoyable to play with, 3-4 of which are approaching 2100) at my disposable to play anytime i want. Also everyone in michigan is always willing to drill at clubs, and always willing to give advice.  i have been playing for around 2 and a half years, and hopefully many more to come.

You're lucky I suck
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2006 at 8:36pm
took u from usatt actual rating of 1650 to 2000 in two months? Im extremly impressed  most of those juniors are 1800-2000
BigJ99678 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigJ99678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2006 at 8:56pm
the 1 i play with mostly now is consistantly winning over 2100+ players in clubs, as of the past 2 months. and the other 2 have been in romania for 2 months now, previously every time they come back they gain 100-200 points. but club play is not tourneys, BUT he is playing very well. the other 2 depends on how hard they trained in their trip, but they always come back showing much inprovement (besides they both went there 2000 already when they left).
You're lucky I suck
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2006 at 8:59pm

Originally posted by BigJ99678 BigJ99678 wrote:

the 1 i play with mostly now is consistantly winning over 2100+ players in clubs, as of the past 2 months. and the other 2 have been in romania for 2 months now, previously every time they come back they gain 100-200 points. but club play is not tourneys, BUT he is playing very well. the other 2 depends on how hard they trained in their trip, but they always come back showing much inprovement (besides they both went there 2000 already when they left).

donny? also did he really take u from actual tourney rating of 1650 to 2000 or is that a high guestimate

BigJ99678 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigJ99678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2006 at 9:10pm

yea, 2000 is pushin it, more like 1900. So when i finally stop training and play in a tounrey ill have the numbers to prove it. I just much prefer to train, because of how little i have played, that i forget a lot about playing competative matches.

also if the next tourney goes bad or somehow i lose my focus, i will post and let u know i am full of crap.  hopefully that doesnt happen.

You're lucky I suck
Harold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2006 at 11:23pm
I somewhat think that good training does not necessarily mean that you will play well during a game. Still trying to figure that out myself. Consistency in equiptment is also important. Or rather an equiptment that's good for training's not necessaily good during a game. Anyone's got something similar to share?
tt12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2006 at 1:31am

BigJ, I am very impressed of your rating upgrading from 1600 to the 2000 level in just a couple of months, and u r only 22. I will be looking for a partner to get some serious and systemic training like yours for at least twice a week.

Yes Harold, I am also very interested in using equipments. They might help an older guy like me to stay competitive. I have been trying out antispin rubber and long pips for a couple of years. And they helped me beat many players who were afraid of long pips. But, when I play the advanced players, they are not effective at all. May be I have not mastered the long pips that well. (It is even more difficult to find a partner to practice these long pips and antispins). There are articles in the internet for 'How to use long pips'. But, how  to practice and use it is another thing. 

tt12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2006 at 2:00am

My original intention to bring up this topic What and How often to practice is because I lost so many easy shots in the tournament.  Now I realize how guys like BigJ practice and train, and that is why they rarely mess up those easy shots. 

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2006 at 11:12pm
tt12, maybe you should replace one of those rubbers with an inverted. Something like Globe 999 would be good to become an effective combination bat player. Try to watch videos of Cai Zhenhua, he was an extremely effective player who came close to winning two world championships and coached the Chinese team from a low back into world dominance.

Develope an effective serve and attack strategy and keep switching the sides around in a point and people will be very afraid of you.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic