FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tight trap muscle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tight trap muscle
    Posted: 01/20/2016 at 1:28am
Hey so recently I find that after I play for an hour or two my trap muscles gets super tight. Well not enough to stop me from playing but it's very annoying..
Is there a way to relief this other then stretching? Is it my technique? Should I build stronger trap muscles or back muscles?
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Sponsored Links

LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2016 at 2:32am
Interesting. The traps are designed to raise and rotate your shoulders both forward and backward. So you must be engaging your shoulders more than you realized by holding them up toward your head, forward, or back. Both of your traps get equally sore? If so, it may not be your stroke. Possibly just holding too much tension while you play.

You could do shrugs, with or without weight, but a good massage may be more helpful.
ri0t1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ri0t1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2016 at 9:16am
Originally posted by LOG1C1AN LOG1C1AN wrote:

You could do shrugs, with or without weight, but a good massage may be more helpful.

I had the same issue about a year ago, my cousin is a Physcial Therapist, shrugs was one of the stretches she told me to do to help out. 

I included shurgs into my stretch routine, to even between points.  Over a year of making it a habit, no sore traps whatsoever.  Good luck, and if it continues hurting, please schedule an oppoinment with your PCP, OT, PT.
Xiom Europe Vegas|FH Tenergy 05|BH:Tenergy 05FX|
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2016 at 9:20am
This post helped me a lot with issues similar to yours.

http://www.experttabletennis.com/play-relaxed-table-tennis/

Hope it helps you too
avi3230 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avi3230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2016 at 10:38am
Hiii,
Whats ur age??

Which part of the muscle is feeling tight (Refer to this diagram)

Is it more on one side??

Do u serve from side of the table and do the third ball attack with heavy topspin???

DHS Fang Bo carbon 90 gm
DHS H3N C 2.2 40- black FH
Andro Good 2.1mm - blue BH
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2016 at 11:22am
Originally posted by avi3230 avi3230 wrote:

Hiii,
Whats ur age??

Which part of the muscle is feeling tight (Refer to this diagram)

Is it more on one side??

Do u serve from side of the table and do the third ball attack with heavy topspin???

Thanks everyone!
I am 30... my traps like both side along my neck is tight... but of course my right side is tighter (right-handed)
Yes i am mostly a third ball attacker

From everyone's suggestions, i think i am playing too tight and i think sometimes i forget to turn my body therefore i am engaging my shoulders too much.. 
need to practice relaxed play! 

729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Joo Se Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2016 at 6:09pm
You could do some foam rolling and mobility drills as well. Here's a link to a sample full body table tennis warm up that includes work for the upper back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gHUQiKmmdI

heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2016 at 8:07pm
Great warm up routine, Joo Se Kev. I once brought a foam roller with me to a tournament (NATT teams) and I had minimal soreness. Because it was such a new concept to me, I didn't realize I left the roller in my hotel room until a couple of days after I returned home. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic