Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Yinhe balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Yinhe balls
    Posted: 05/31/2016 at 12:45am
I'm about to order balls from yinhe and they're telling me they only have a new kind. There about 20% more cost then they have been. They do have a different look. They say s40+.

Anybody know anything about these?

Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 12:47am
Are they still seamless?

Edit, just checked on ITTF website, they are listed as seamless.  Don't know what is new about them.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 7:56am
Yes. I'm told they're more durable. She said they were the international version. That sounds suspiciously like different pricing.

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 9:30am
If they would come out with an orange 40+ instead of just adding a letter yinhe would take half the market.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 10:00am
The old ones were made by XSF, I wonder if the new ones are too? BTW XSF also have 2 balls on the ITTF approved list, although they've had those on there for a long time.

Good point about the orange balls BRS, I agree completely! I can't work out why none of the manufacturers have taken advantage of this opportunity.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 10:27am
The Yinhe balls Cole sold ALREADY had great life (Unless you did a power stroke and caught the edge of racket). 6 of his Yinhe balls would last several months of daily play (if no one stepped on them) (Yes, I had that happen twice). This is WAY better than quality Celluloid balls, which a 6 pack MIGHT make it a few weeks of daily play a few hours.

If his new ball lasts even LONGER, then more power to players.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 10:46am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

The Yinhe balls Cole sold ALREADY had great life (Unless you did a power stroke and caught the edge of racket). 6 of his Yinhe balls would last several months of daily play (if no one stepped on them) (Yes, I had that happen twice). This is WAY better than quality Celluloid balls, which a 6 pack MIGHT make it a few weeks of daily play a few hours.

Clap Agreed, I bought a box of six and have only broken one, and I smash everything, of brick walls, edges etc. This has been like 4 or 5 months now

A lot of people I hit with at the club and at the rec centre I play at all switched to this ball.
More durability is a great thing!

Edited by jk92 - 05/31/2016 at 10:47am
Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 11:11am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Yes. I'm told they're more durable. She said they were the international version. That sounds suspiciously like different pricing.

Well, Matt Winkler insists that Nexy balls (also seamless) are more durable than YinHe and XSF.  I have no way to confirm or discount his observation.  But I suppose it is possible that some balls use either a somewhat different plastic formula and/or a different heat/rotation process.  

For instance, I can imagine how a prolonged heat/rotation process might create a better balanced and even walled ball at the expense of productivity.  And I can imagine how different plastics with different melt points might require a different heat/rotation cycle. Of course, that's just me imagining.  But it seems plausible that it could be more than just a different pricing scheme.  

Of course, it could also be just what you expect.  The same product with a different pricing tier.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 11:20am
Count me as skeptical.

I suspect it is a way to justify elevated pricing.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Count me as skeptical.

I suspect it is a way to justify elevated pricing.

If you want to be REALLY rabbit hole about it, you could wonder if the recent drop in quality of the general run of balls was done on purpose to create the obvious distinction between a base level and a premium ball.

O_o and all that.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 11:46am
I noticed no drop in quality for yinhe 3*. I take it you did?

ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 11:53am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

+1 on that. I just purchased two gross for our club a couple of weeks ago....
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 11:56am

Not personally no.  We bought a load of XSF last year and they're still going strong.  I've tried recent batches of Joola Flash and Xiom seamless and they've been excellent too.  But recent forum reports have been a bit worrying:

People saying that 30-40% are out of round, out of the box.  And some are squashed, obviously.  ;-)
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 12:55pm
Well that's a shame. Our club uses Yinhe balls. Their quality is good and the price is really solid. Sounds like part of that is changing now.

Oh well. Our club has settled on the new Gambler ball. The new logo looks great and it's just a very nice seamless ball if you haven't tried it folks.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Not personally no.  We bought a load of XSF last year and they're still going strong.  I've tried recent batches of Joola Flash and Xiom seamless and they've been excellent too.  But recent forum reports have been a bit worrying:

People saying that 30-40% are out of round, out of the box.  And some are squashed, obviously.  ;-)

It is possible that there is a systematic issue but I think it is equally possible that this was one single defective manufacturing run from just one of the companies that markets seamless balls (or more likely,  a willingness from XSF to sell balls they know are not round).  I don't think there are enough posts here with specific information on manufacture dates from different brands to know for sure.

In fact, the only bad seamless balls I have seen were from XSF.  So far there is no report that other companies have accepted to put such out of round balls into their boxes.  So until we hear otherwise, my assumption is that Yinhe or Nexy or Xiom (etc.) are fine.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

It is possible that there is a systematic issue but I think it is equally possible that this was one single defective manufacturing run from just one of the companies that markets seamless balls (or more likely,  a willingness from XSF to sell balls they know are not round).  I don't think there are enough posts here with specific information on manufacture dates from different brands to know for sure.

In fact, the only bad seamless balls I have seen were from XSF.  So far there is no report that other companies have accepted to put such out of round balls into their boxes.  So until we hear otherwise, my assumption is that Yinhe or Nexy or Xiom (etc.) are fine.

Absolutely.  I was just being a wee bit cheeky.  I don't really subscribe to a global ball conspiracy...

...or do I?  Maybe that's what they want us to think?  etc etc
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

... Well, Matt Winkler insists that Nexy balls (also seamless) are more durable than YinHe and XSF.  I have no way to confirm or discount his observation.  But I suppose it is possible that some balls use either a somewhat different plastic formula and/or a different heat/rotation process ...

I agree with Matt's opinion that Nexy balls are more durable than XSF (I have no experience with YinHe), as they are much less likely to crack when hit with the edge of the blade.
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 7:46pm
Nexy seamless are great balls...much more consistent than XSF.  I've bought 30 dz. 3-star XSF already for my 2 robots and regular practice...and 2/3 of them are not round.  It's just simply terrible QC.  The cherry-picked, perfectly-round XSF balls are a joy to use, however, and they do last a long time.

In comparison, 11 out of 12 Nexy balls I received from a friend for testing are really excellent.  The only downside is most higher-level players in L.A. will not touch the Nexy balls...only NP40+.

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 8:13pm
I thought the Nexy balls were made by XSF...this is according to XSF anyway.

I suspect all the different reports on the quality of balls if simply variation in batches.

Running different machines to make 2 different quality of balls does not make economic sense, and neither does cherry picking balls for specific brands.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I suspect all the different reports on the quality of balls if simply variation in batches.

Running different machines to make 2 different quality of balls does not make economic sense, and neither does cherry picking balls for specific brands.

I know that XSF makes Nexy seamless balls, but they really DO play slightly different from each other.  Nexy is a tad softer.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Who says you need to run different machines.  It could make perfect economic sense to have a range of plastic formulas, quality control and possibly even machine programming that results in somewhat different costs, quality and playing characteristics.  You produce balls in batches based on the specific needs.  I suppose a lot would depend on the nature of the machines and the process.

It could make particularly good sense if third party vendors are willing to pay the differences in expense that could be involved for different batch types.  Further, it creates an interesting test bed for continued ball development.  You listen for feedback and that helps to determine the winning combinations.

All speculation on my part, of course.  But I see no reason why such things couldn't be possible and practical with automated machines.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 9:14pm
I agree with Jay that it is quite likely that modern production machines would allow for some change in plastic formula.

Alternatively, the idea that there is some significant change in material could be more marketing than real, but at the same time Yinhe, Nexy, and others might simply refuse to accept balls that are out of a certain set of specifications, whereas XSF may be willing to do it. 

As with Jay's previous post, this is also pure speculation.

Nexy himself once posted here (I think or maybe it was OOAK) that while his balls are seamless, they are in fact not identical to XSF.  I was wondering at the time if that seemed plausible, but he ought to know.  I had some Nexy balls once which seemed perfectly good to me, but I honestly can't say that I recall any difference in how they played.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 9:15pm
Wouldn't that require a separate usatt approval?

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 9:17pm
USATT doesn't approve balls as far as I know, but each individual brand of balls has to undergo a separate ITTF approval process.  You can find the balls that are approved on the ITTF website.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 10:02pm
So has anyone read this?
Instead of  Xu Shaofa being the maker of balls, it is just a ball made by Guangzhou Hefu Sport Equipment Company which includes 20 or so other balls

My wife just arrived back from China with Yinhe's  2016 catalog and no mention of s40+ but magazine could be 6 months old now anyway?

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

So has anyone read this?
Instead of  Xu Shaofa being the maker of balls, it is just a ball made by Guangzhou Hefu Sport Equipment Company which includes 20 or so other balls

My wife just arrived back from China with Yinhe's  2016 catalog and no mention of s40+ but magazine could be 6 months old now anyway?

Right.  Their house brand is, I believe, Kingnik - a ball that ZeroPong also carries.  If I recall correctly, ZeroPong was able to get attractive pricing on the Gambler seamless at least in part because they agreed to sell the Kingnik ball.  
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 11:57pm
Yes Smackman is right. I had read that recently. It was news to me.

Making balls is a pretty specialized business that would require a particular expertise and lots of unique expensive equipment. True for Rubbers too.

I am wondering if Palio and XSF were early investors or something? Their balls were on sale quite a bit earlier than Kingnik.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2016 at 1:48am
Tried the yinhe 40+ and i t really was good and durable like nexy
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2016 at 6:35am
I only ever had one box of Yinhe but they were really good, like initial boxes of XSF
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2016 at 8:41am
Here is another twist to things.

Shanghai Minkow, who make seamless balls, Kingnik being the house label, is located in Shanghai.  Here is their website, which indicates that they clearly have manufacturing capabilities for seamless and seamed balls and where they specifically state that they are the OEM for many other brands:  http://www.minkow.com.cn/

But Guangzhou Hefu Sports Equipment Company is located in the Panyu district of  the city of Guangzhou (the very large capital city of Guangdong province, in South China across from Hong Kong).  This is very far (~ 1,500 km) from Shanghai.  The only English language web presence for Guangzhou Hefu related to sports equipment seems limited to sites about import transactions for seamless balls into the US, such as this one:  http://en.52wmb.com/s-guangzhou_hefu_sport_eqiupment/8066705   The only thing I could learn from clicking some of the links on that site is that Guangzhou Hefu exports balls to the US through the port of Newark, and that they created a company in the US called Hitoss LLC (High Toss, get it, the most distinguishing feature of Xu Shaofa when he was a player) to protect their trademark etc.  XSF has a website in English that mentions their balls, and Mr. Xu Shaofa himself, but says nothing about where they make the balls, but not Guangzhou Hefu.

So what does it all mean?  Are there now two factories making these balls?  Certainly it seems possible by this time that the necessary machines to make seamless balls could be in more than one place, but could this explain differences in ball quality that we seem to see with XSF these days?  Can this explain maybe how different materials could be used at different places? 

The one thing that makes no sense to me is that you would make the balls in Shanghai but then export them out of Guangzhou (since 2011 the Port of Shanghai is currently the world's busiest container port).  So I am leaning towards the idea that seamless balls are now made in more than one place.

I don't know the answers to the questions this all raises, and my guess is that they can only come from someone who can speak and read Chinese. 

Maybe zeio can figure it out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic