FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

The lust for older Viscarias

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2016 at 9:00pm
Part of it is that a Viscaria old or new is simply a better blade than a TB-ZLC of any age.  And bear in mind that it's not just ZJK.  Many good players use the Viscaria, and for a reason.  Now why the crazy bubble price for the old ones?  That is actually a quite recent phenomenon and it astounds me.  I bought one here, a couple of years ago at most, for $185 and it is perfect, the best Viscaria I have ever used.  Still more than they cost new.  My guess is that this price inflation won't last, and if my experience with the most recent version turns out to be representative of all of this new series, people won't be hesitating to buy new ones now.
Sponsored Links

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2016 at 9:45pm
Recent reviews of viscaria (supposedly for the new version) are pretty good at ttdb.
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2016 at 9:45pm
Black Tags are collectibles; like most collectibles prices are inflated, everything has it's price and a buyer.

Really fatt, i didn't think you'd be that person i'm not impressed at all.
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2016 at 7:33am
It is quiet obvious I think:

1) on a collector point of view, a black tag had, has and will always be more valuable than the newer versions of the same blade....the price of the black tag keep on increasing.
The older, the rarer, ...the better

2) Production of blades with serial number began in 2006 and even those blades have, on a collecting point of view, more value than the current version. Again..older = rarer = more expensive.

3) You don't have a lot of BTY blades which are still produced after 23 years of existence..we have for instance Primorac off-, Korbel off and Viscaria. That shows the succes and the popularity of those blades.
Old tag Korbel and old tag Primorac have also more value than the new version.
I personnaly know that Gionis Panagiotis prefers older version of Korbel than the newer version...and he surely knows why. He is not alone to act like that.

4) Even if you can eventually find a good playing blade among the newer versions, a lot of players have experienced that newer versions are often too light for instance and often lack on quality. Older black tag versions are not all fantastic blades but they are often better than newer versions.

5) Lots of current great players play or have played with Viscaria, even those who are not in contract with BTY. Those blades have nothing to do with the viscaria we can buy at our retailor but they are probably closer to the old and heavier old version. At least, that is what I was said by some very good Belgian players.

Getting a ZJK Super ZLC is a simple question of money but...everybody knows ZJK doesn't play with that :)))

6) Viscaria has become a myth because there are threads on every forums about that blade and its story since 1993 and the générations with S T, ST, SN + old tag, SN, last version..... Everybody wants to hold and have a ST one because it quiet rare. Those who can't buy a ST one would be happy to get a FL or a F L one...and of course, a black tag one because...again, the older, the better. It is a symbol.

7) Viscaria has become an investment.
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2016 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Part of it is that a Viscaria old or new is simply a better blade than a TB-ZLC of any age.  And bear in mind that it's not just ZJK.  Many good players use the Viscaria, and for a reason.  Now why the crazy bubble price for the old ones?  That is actually a quite recent phenomenon and it astounds me.  I bought one here, a couple of years ago at most, for $185 and it is perfect, the best Viscaria I have ever used.  Still more than they cost new.  My guess is that this price inflation won't last, and if my experience with the most recent version turns out to be representative of all of this new series, people won't be hesitating to buy new ones now.

Hmmm... An interesting and strong statement about Viscaria over TB ZLC. Plenty of this is historical accident as I know one junior who had both and largely used his ZLC then sold his Viscaria.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2016 at 9:03am
Yes, but I stand by it.  Of course it is an opinion.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2016 at 10:44am

As long as you remind people that you are a Viscaria fan and buy them in surfeit, then people can assess your objectivity.  I understand the opinion but ZLC is modern technology and the players using it are young.
Cybershape Carbon
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2016 at 10:57am
Do we still have something called personal preference?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2016 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

As long as you remind people that you are a Viscaria fan and buy them in surfeit, then people can assess your objectivity.  I understand the opinion but ZLC is modern technology and the players using it are young.

Sure, all that is true, but I still think it is a fairly objective observation that a lot more young high level players are using ALC, and among those, the Viscaria remains one of the most popular blades for very good reasons. 

TB-ZLC, Amultart, JM, and all the various ZLC and super ZLC blades, even going back to Photino, never really caught on to the same extent as Viscaria, TBS, TB-ALC.

Maybe this will change now.  Like I said, mine was an opinion (and yes I guess I am sort of a connoisseur of Btfly ALC blades, which also means that I have often compared them to other Btfly composites).

By the way, on another point, I would warn buyers that just because a Viscaria has a black tag does not mean it will be this perfect blade.  And that is worth noting when you see somebody asking hundreds of dollars for one here, especially since you are not going to get a chance to try it beforehand.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2016 at 4:51pm
Considering The Product Lifecycle of a table tennis blade (with the Viscaria as an example), it's fair to say that the TB ZLC is young...

The Viscaria has definitely been championed by ZJK, as the TB ALC was championed by Timo B himself and Ma Long amongst others...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2016 at 5:16pm
And guess what?  Zylon is the older synthetic fiber here, first produced in the 80s.  Vectran came out in 1990.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2016 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

And guess what?  Zylon is the older synthetic fiber here, first produced in the 80s.  Vectran came out in 1990.

In blades or as a technology?  
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2016 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

Considering The Product Lifecycle of a table tennis blade (with the Viscaria as an example), it's fair to say that the TB ZLC is young...

The Viscaria has definitely been championed by ZJK, as the TB ALC was championed by Timo B himself and Ma Long amongst others...

This is obvious, but once Baal gets rolling, it is hard to stop him.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2016 at 5:44pm

Sure, all that is true, but I still think it is a fairly objective observation that a lot more young high level players are using ALC, and among those, the Viscaria remains one of the most popular blades for very good reasons. 

TB-ZLC, Amultart, JM, and all the various ZLC and super ZLC blades, even going back to Photino, never really caught on to the same extent as Viscaria, TBS, TB-ALC.

Maybe this will change now.  Like I said, mine was an opinion (and yes I guess I am sort of a connoisseur of Btfly ALC blades, which also means that I have often compared them to other Btfly composites).

By the way, on another point, I would warn buyers that just because a Viscaria has a black tag does not mean it will be this perfect blade.  And that is worth noting when you see somebody asking hundreds of dollars for one here, especially since you are not going to get a chance to try it beforehand.

Maybe it wasn't always the case, but isn't ZLC tech usually more expensive?

Most people copy their idols, and which players are more idolized than Zhang Jike and Timo Boll in the Butterfly Brand?  And given that blades are not that much objectively better or worse once they check certain boxes and suit certain player preferences, it comes as no surprise that the less expensive technology is the more popular one given more popular/better players are using it and have more fans.  

Edited by NextLevel - 06/16/2016 at 5:45pm
Cybershape Carbon
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2016 at 5:47pm

Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

In blades or as a technology?  
As a technology.  The US Air Force developed Zylon and sold it to Toyobo.  Vectran was developed by Celanese Acetate who later sold it to Kuraray.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2016 at 5:47pm

If I'm not mistaken, one of NL's cadet / junior up'n'coming practice partners & forum member (who probably is at around 2300 now) uses TB-ZLC.

Meanwhile, a blast from the past:
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Also, as yet, my prediction has not yet come to pass.  ZJK still uses a Viscaria.

That is not an indication of how good the blade is. My assumption is that most players at that level use what they have been comfortable with for years and are loathe to change.

Take a look at the US Cadets and their ZLC usage:

Jack Wang: TB-ZLC
Kanak Jha: IF-ZLC
Crystal Wang: Mizutani Jun ZLC
Victor Liu: ZJK Super ZLC

That is just because such blades are in vogue during their playing years and their game modifies to best use the properties of such blades.

Actually, Baal is right: for sure, when I look in the clubs around me, there are more Viscaria / TBS / TB-ALC users. However, I'll wager that that is not a active choice after their trying out a ZLC blade - most players (and almost all youngsters) are not EJs (thank 'God'). But I'll also wager that all the players I mentioned above must have tried Viscaria / TB-ALC at some stage.

As I said, it depends on the playing environment around you. They play with Viscarias just because they see the older generation or Chinese coaches playing with them.

Just like you and I pay up for black tags just because others pay up for them... Confused

Edited by slevin - 06/16/2016 at 5:53pm
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2016 at 6:43pm
I pay up for black tags just because others pay up for them... Confused

what a wind up, were you out biddided at some time Unhappy 
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2016 at 7:07pm
You greedy hoarding bastards!  Just let me join the club already!  Enough is enough.  If I can't get myself one, I will just talk it down.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2016 at 5:01pm

Watching the ITTF NA Cup today:

To the list of US team ZLC users, add Jiaqi Zheng: Amultart.
Subtract Kanak Zha (who has been on a recent EJ spree, first onto Korbel from IF-ZLC and then now onto the TB-ALC).

If I'm not mistaken, Eugene Wang was a former ZLC user for years as well? Then he had a short stint with Viscaria and then onto a all-wood blade (I've heard that he boosts his H3).

Edited by slevin - 06/24/2016 at 5:05pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2016 at 9:43pm

Watching the ITTF NA Cup today:

To the list of US team ZLC users, add Jiaqi Zheng: Amultart.
Subtract Kanak Zha (who has been on a recent EJ spree, first onto Korbel from IF-ZLC and then now onto the TB-ALC).

If I'm not mistaken, Eugene Wang was a former ZLC user for years as well? Then he had a short stint with Viscaria and then onto a all-wood blade (I've heard that he boosts his H3).

Eugene was using a Viscaria in 2008.  I don't know what he uses now.
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2016 at 10:05pm
A while back I awoke with lust
For an old Viscaria.
Went onto EBay, found one, bought it,
But here's the sad scenari-a.

I posted pictures on MYTT
Of my vintage Viscaria.

It turned out that the blade was fake
Much to my dismay and horror-a.

My blade's a fake! Sad but true Jake, it's not the right make,
The grain ain't smooth, the edges are rough, the writing ain't the right style.
The lens is cloudy, my future not bright, I got no reason to smile.

But somewhere in this favored land
People are playing pong.
With their older Viscarias,
They bought right, I done bought wrong.

Edited by berndt_mann - 06/24/2016 at 10:07pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2016 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Because, as ever Berndt, you did not follow my sage guidance.
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2016 at 12:01am

Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Because, as ever Berndt, you did not follow my sage guidance.

I should have followed your sage advice,
But I did not, and paid the price.

I bought a fake I could not use,
And now I'm singin' the Viscaria blues
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
illinichamps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illinichamps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2016 at 1:28am
Hi all..
This might explain everything.. though I do not think the viscaria is a mind trick, as it is a very good blade, I think the overhyped black tag phenomena probably is due to this sort of cognitive expectation. 

Also, I just wanted to note when you play with a super expensive blade (I am guilty of this as well) you know if you lose, its not the blade, its because you suck and you just practice more. Cheap blades make you keep on wanting to blame it and throw it at the wall in crazy animalistic rage. ^^ You can't throw 300+ dollar blades just because of one point. Wink

http://brainblogger.com/2008/02/04/expensive-wine-just-tastes-better/

A recent study reported in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences demonstrates that marketing can have a significant effect on the neural mechanisms governing decision-making. The study measured the “experienced pleasantness” of three different wines, both by subjective reporting of the test subjects’ perceptions of the wines, and by measuring activity in the medial orbitofrontal cortex, a known “pleasure center” in the brain. Test results indicated that even when wines were identical, subjects’ levels of experienced pleasantness differed according to the reported price of the wine; the same wine tasted better when the subject believed that it was a sample from a $45 bottle of wine than when she was told it was from a $5 bottle.

Investigators recognized that subjects may be influenced, at least in their subjective reports of the wines, by a sense that they should find the more expensive wines to be more pleasant; however, the MRI results bore out the reports of experienced pleasantness. Furthermore, two months after the initial experiment, subjects were re-tested with the same wines, but without the pricing information. Results of the follow-up interviews showed, as expected, no difference in the perception of the identical wines.

Interestingly, areas of the brain considered primary taste centers were not affected by the difference in pricing, indicating that the experienced pleasantness is a combination of actual sensory perception and cognitive expectation of pleasure. Why might the brain make these connections? The investigators suggest that the complex task of decision-making may actually be enhanced by the expectation/sensory perception combination, in that the act of making choices often depends on past experiences. In cases like these, past experience may indicate that higher prices, at least in wines, typically translate to higher quality; coupled with neutral sensory perceptions, price truly does increase the pleasure of the taste.

How might these results affect advertising, marketing, and the economy in general? While further study on the neural basis for experienced pleasantness is necessary, it seems reasonable to conjecture that marketing and advertisements that are designed to raise the expectation of the quality of a product may, in fact, increase the consumer’s satisfaction with the project in a physiological way. This may warrant an adjustment to contemporary economic thinking, which asserts that the intrinsic quality of a product will derive its place in the market; this study indicates that artificially increasing (or decreasing) its price significantly changes the experiential pleasantness of the product. Thus, an externally-applied characteristic of the product designed to change the expectation of the quality of the product can and should be factored into its experienced utility.

H3 Prov. |MJ SZLC | 05 FX
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2016 at 3:27am
Originally posted by Timo1978 Timo1978 wrote:

Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

wturber: Thanks. I know what he is saying. What I am saying is that if there is a perception that older wood = better feel, than that same perception should make the price of a blade with similar or identical wood layers to Viscaria go up.

If it is similarly old, yes, you would think so.  In some situations there seems to be a tendency to think that older is somehow superior when there is actually very little objective evidence that this is true.  

Right, but that is not happening is it? Old MJs and TB-ZLCs depreciate significantly in price rather than appreciating...

That is the current Situation but....how will it be 5 years? or in 10 years? Nobody can say right now.
What i noticed that early versions of Mizutani ZLC ST have already a stronger request, at least as if they still have mint condition. This might be due to the introduction of the new design or due to the ST handle shape. Plus we have also to consider the request  regarding the locations. There are some models in Europe that many are looking for and in Asia nobody gives a shit about them and they are hidden in the last corners of the tt-shops. I have seen a Gergely Carbon first series that has been sold at 1500€ one week ago. Is the Price crazy? yes, of Course. Would i spend it for a blade? Definitly not. Does the new owner of it care what we think about it? definitly no! He spend the amount since he wanted it.  

1500 EUR for Gergely? Excuse me? Any link?
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2016 at 7:34am
The biggest EJ of table tennis "legends" (according to Christophe Legout) is Kreanga, recently he switched to sZLC, Christophe Legout is using a viscaria like (TBS) since the glue ban BTW. The IF ZLF is very popular for French young players (Quentin Robinot, Tristan Flore for the most famous ones are using it), in fact the classics viscaria-likes (it includes TBS and all the renames from butterfly) are not really used anymore by the young genration here in France. Concerning the ZLC, same it looks now more popular for the young generation (born in 90's) : Benjamin Brossier is using JM zlc, Petiot is using TB-zlc. 

Viscaria-likes are still the most pupular blades (by far) at pro stage, but slowly the hegemony is fading away with the new generation comming in. 

In the French young generation Antoine Hachard is using an ALC blade BTW, but it's IF ALC. 

Edited by vivan4tt - 06/25/2016 at 7:46am
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2016 at 8:39pm

Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

This is obvious, but once Baal gets rolling, it is hard to stop him.

I thought that the TB-ZLC and TB-ALC were introduced in the same year.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2016 at 8:14am
The core material of viscaria is indeed balsa. I just read an article suggesting that the old viscaria used a yellow kind of balsa wood, while the newer ones used white ones. And that makes a difference. 
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2016 at 9:09am
This butterflyonline endemic has to stop.  It is kiri.  Has always been.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2016 at 9:44am
My mistake. In chinese, it is 梧桐,so it should be kiri, not balsa.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic