Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Found this old BTY Iolite in Saigon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Found this old BTY Iolite in Saigon
    Posted: 06/23/2016 at 6:07am
I read a thread on here recently about why old Viscaria's are going up in value whilst the same can't be said for most other old Butterfly blades. What about this one? Asking price is just over $100 and I'm really tempted to buy it. Surely playing with a vintage blade is bound to improve my game just a little bit? 

Yay or nay? Smile

Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2016 at 6:43am
Iolite is thicker, faster and distinctly stiffer than a Viscaria.  Very thin handle.  I always had the impression that the head size was a bit smaller, but don't have one on hand to measure.  I think in my town, when they first came out, several people used Iolites, but only for awhile, and the Moonbeam was more common.  That is a really good price for an Iolite these days, and if you don't like it, it should be fairly easy to resell. 

I always liked Viscaria better, but back in 2007 or 8, when I bought my first one, I think maybe there were only two of us who used it (me and the guy whose blade I tried that made me immediately go buy a couple).  And at that time, probably 4-5 people were using Iolite.  Also, back in its day, there were several top American juniors using Iolite. 

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2016 at 9:32pm
Thanks for the info Baal.

So if I'm used to a TBS at the moment I should just get this, give it a try and if after a while it doesn't suit me I can pass it on/ resell it. 

A couple more questions: What's with the edge-tape-ish thin layer of wood (?) on the side of the blade (see last picture). Is that normal? Or did the last owner add it to protect the blade? And, what rubbers would go with this blade? 
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2016 at 9:34pm
When you find a really old Iolite you will see a J-Pen blade from the 80´s.
Have you ever heard about it?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2016 at 10:16pm
That thing on the edge was added by last owner, I think.

Rubbers?  Start with whatever you like to use now.
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2016 at 10:35pm
Iolite is one of the fastest blade from BTY just below Sardius and Schlager.
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2016 at 11:10pm
Now I'm worried that the edge-tape has been glued on to hide some damage to the blade and/ or might affect playing characteristics a bit...
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2016 at 3:44am
I wouldn't buy this blade for that price. I happily got rid of my old Iolite selling it for 30 or 40 Euro. Don't remember exactly
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2016 at 11:08am
The price is fair for this blade.  Quite popular with the juniors, it works well with soft rubber like Donic Acuda S3.  Play similar to the KLHS, but I like the KLHS better, however the  KLHS would cost more  Smile.  Does it have a collection value?  I don't know.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2016 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

I read a thread on here recently about why old Viscaria's are going up in value whilst the same can't be said for most other old Butterfly blades. What about this one? Asking price is just over $100 and I'm really tempted to buy it. Surely playing with a vintage blade is bound to improve my game just a little bit? 

Yay or nay? Smile

Yay for sure! Like already written, the blade is pretty good and resale won't be a problem.  So dive in and enjoy the experience.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic