Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stiga Calibra Sound as a forehand rubber?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Calibra Sound as a forehand rubber?
    Posted: 08/22/2016 at 11:24am
I got the rubber for my backhand but today tried some forehands with it and realised it felt really good. Probably just one of those days where something new feels more exciting but I managed more than 20 loops in a row for the first time and am now thinking of making the permanent switch and use Calibra Sound for both sides. 

Does anyone use this rubber on their forehand or have some experience with it? Is it just a case of 'if it feels good give it a try' or are there some definite reasons not to have what's a backhand rubber on my forehand? 

Edited by Simon_plays - 08/22/2016 at 11:25am
Sponsored Links

ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2016 at 1:39pm
Milton Garcia - former 2-times Mexican Champion, plays with SCS....and does it well (~2500 USATT level) !!
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2016 at 1:53pm
I know many people who are from the Carribean who are Calibra Sound forehand and backhand players.  I personally find the trajectory and spin underwhelming, but it is definitely quite usable.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2016 at 3:49pm
It needs booster to perform well 
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2016 at 5:08pm
It is really a nice rubber to play with (sound etc). The biggest problem is that it becomes dead very quickly - so durability is big issue. And yes with booster it gets even lauder.
dangerhow View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerhow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2016 at 8:45pm
I had tried Stiga Calibra LT Sound on forehand. Actually, Stiga Calibra LT Sound is a very good rubber. It is really soft and has a very nice clicking sound. But I don't like it too much. Because it's just too soft for me and I need much effort to generate power using this rubber. Very easy to generate spin when the ball still on play, but I found it's pretty hard to generate spin when serving. 

Blade : Butterfly Viscaria
FH    : Yinhe Big Dipper
BH    : Palio AK47 Blue
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2016 at 6:10am
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

It needs booster to perform well 

What do you recommend to use as a booster for this? Babyoil? Olive oil? Falco booster? 

And doesn't booster just make the rubber even softer? I thought that wouldn't be needed because the sponge is already quite soft.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2016 at 6:12am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I know many people who are from the Carribean who are Calibra Sound forehand and backhand players.

Is there anything these players tend to have in common in their playing styles that made them chose this combo? Or have you noticed anything in their playing styles that might have arisen from using this combo?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2016 at 7:06am
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

I know many people who are from the Carribean who are Calibra Sound forehand and backhand players.

Is there anything these players tend to have in common in their playing styles that made them chose this combo? Or have you noticed anything in their playing styles that might have arisen from using this combo?

They tend to play fast topspin styles, not really spin based.  It's a decent rubber though - there might be durability concerns etc. but if you like it, just use it.  As you get better, you can try other things and you may still like it.  Everyone doesn't have the same taste in table tennis.
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2016 at 11:23am
I guess the usual thing is that as you try different equipment you realise that some aspects of your game seem improved whilst others are more difficult. Give and take, etc. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2016 at 1:20pm

I guess the usual thing is that as you try different equipment you realise that some aspects of your game seem improved whilst others are more difficult. Give and take, etc. 

Yes, but everything improves with practice.  Equipment choice is about what you enjoy playing and maybe optimizing how you win points, but it's only too easy to waste time on nonsense when you aren't going gain much from the equipment.  The only thing that *sometimes* happens is that the equipment may open your mind to new possibilities and compromises.  
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2016 at 1:52pm
I suppose for me the main reason why this rubber makes sense is because I can get my 3 ball loop from a backspin cut on the table with far more confidence than with a the Cornilleau (really not a fan of that brand name, need to look up the spelling every time) Target Ultim that I was using before. 

At the same time my shots seem to have less power but I'll take more balls on the table and the satisfying smacking sound that Calibar Sound gives for now.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2016 at 4:11pm
I used this rubber on my forehand a couple years back for maybe a year.  I'm normally a Tenergy user, but I occasionally try other things.  I immediately liked the sound and feel of this rubber and I also hit pretty consistently with it, without having to adjust.

But that, "exciting because it's new" feeling is pretty deceptive, too, I think.  Several months later when I switched back to Tenergy I realized how much better it is.
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 11:40pm

They tend to play fast topspin styles, not really spin based.  It's a decent rubber though - there might be durability concerns etc. but if you like it, just use it.  As you get better, you can try other things and you may still like it.  Everyone doesn't have the same taste in table tennis.

+1 not really spin based. they tend to be physically strong with a block, counter, smash game. sound helps them spin. i've tried it on fh, but as a two-winged power looper, it didn't generate that much power on its own and while it was loud, the whole calibra series has more speed than spin proportionally
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic