Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Lighter Viscarias can generate more spin ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lighter Viscarias can generate more spin ?
    Posted: 12/08/2016 at 6:38am
I HAVE 2 viscaria blades, one is weighted at 90g, the other one
Is weighted only 85g. I FEEL that the lighter one has a more
Hollow feeling and lacks a bit of power. HOWEVER the lighter one
Can Hold the ball longer and generates much more spin when I perform the forehand topspin strokes. THE heavier Viscaria is much more bouncy but generates a lot less top spin.

IS IT true that lighter Viscarias are much more spinnier than heavier Viscarias ? SOMEONE please enlighten me.
WHAT would be the best weight for a Viscaria blade?

Edited by jackwong23 - 12/08/2016 at 6:43am
Sponsored Links

ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 6:48am
No. 
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Johnny.d.p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny.d.p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 7:14am
There is no best weight. This is a classic mental effect/placebo. It can be true that heavier produces more force in shot as force = mass x acceleration in the case that the same player is using the same technique and is capable of using both blades and ian't too 'weak' to swing the heavier bar. There is no known correlation between mass and spin as far as I know unless someone can enlighten me.
BTY Viscaria FL 88g | DHS H3 BS 2.1 41 x DianChi | BTY Tenergy 64
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Johnny.d.p Johnny.d.p wrote:

There is no best weight. This is a classic mental effect/placebo. It can be true that heavier produces more force in shot as force = mass x acceleration in the case that the same player is using the same technique and is capable of using both blades and ian't too 'weak' to swing the heavier bar. There is no known correlation between mass and spin as far as I know unless someone can enlighten me.

I just feel that lighter blades are less bouncy so the ball would
stay on the rubber longer, hence allowing you to brush the longer and generate more spin. That is how I feel with my 2 viscaria blades ~ the 85g viscaria blade allows me to graze the ball longer than the 90g and boucier Viscaria blade. I can be wrong though.

Edited by jackwong23 - 12/08/2016 at 8:13am
slowd16z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowd16z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 10:51am
I think that you may be on to something. It could be possible that if you happen to have a thinner make of a Viscaria(hence the lighter weight), that it may flex more and have more spin. Theoretically that could be a pretty good reason.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 12:40pm
The hardest thing in the world is to know if you are generating more or less spin.  Your opponent may block off the table, sure, but that does not necessarily mean more spin.  It means he got his rack angle wrong, which could mean he underestimated how fast the ball was coming, where the ball was coming or the spin. 

So the true answer is, I think, we don't know if the lighter blade would generate more spin.

For sure, though, they will vibrate slightly differently when they ball hits them, and they will feel a little different, and heavier blades cause you to engage slightly different group of muscle fibers within the muscle itself (that is something complicated celled the motoneuron size principle in physiology, which would take too long to describe).
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

The hardest thing in the world is to know if you are generating more or less spin.  Your opponent may block off the table, sure, but that does not necessarily mean more spin.  It means he got his rack angle wrong, which could mean he underestimated how fast the ball was coming, where the ball was coming or the spin. 

So the true answer is, I think, we don't know if the lighter blade would generate more spin.

For sure, though, they will vibrate slightly differently when they ball hits them, and they will feel a little different, and heavier blades cause you to engage slightly different group of muscle fibers within the muscle itself (that is something complicated celled the motoneuron size principle in physiology, which would take too long to describe).

Baal, the following is the reason why I know my lighter Viscaria can create a lot more spin than my heavier Viscaria. The lighter blade can probably create 50 % more spin than the heavier blade.

When I hit topspin strokes with the lighter Viscaria, the ball just dips on my opponents after landing on their side of the table and they would miss the ball all together.

On the otherhand, I dont get any dip on the ball when I topspin with the heavier Viscaria and my opponents can easily pick up the bounce of the ball and counter my topspin shots.

The simple physics is ~ " The heavier the topspin you impart on the ball, the more the ball dips on your opponents' table" . Judging by the crazy dip on the ball imparted by the lighter Viscaria, i would say it is much more spinner than the heavier blade.

Edited by jackwong23 - 12/08/2016 at 2:43pm
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 1:22pm
You can move the paddle faster if it is lighter. And that might create more spin.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 1:43pm
I don't believe there is that much of a difference.  Sorry, I just don't buy it.  No disrespect intended, but I just can't see it.  I have several of these blades over a fairly considerable weight range for a long time.   So, in order for someone to convince me of this would require some very accurate high-speed measurements (where we could actually measure the ball rotations).

(Also, the amount of arc will actually be some function of the ratio of the spin to the speed of the ball.  Greater racket speed is just as likely to generate more speed than more spin.  And as has been pointed out on many different TT theads at multiple TT forums, the thing that feels like dwell time when you hit the ball is certainly not the dwell time per se, and may or may not be actually related to the actual time the ball stays in contact with the rubber).

nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 1:50pm
What the OP is saying ain't entirely false, iv had a similar experience with the xiom vega pro, of the lot iv tried, the lighter ones hold the ball a bit longer and produce spin a bit easier. Though, you can easily create the same spin with a heavier blade with good technique, and the heavier blades usually have the advantage of generating more power from behind the table too. And the ball dips earlier with the slower blade because there's less speed on the ball, if you just close your bat angle and brush a bit more with the faster blade you should get a similar dip.

All in all, for the p- ball, id definitely choose a blade that's at the upper limit of what I can handle weight wise. Though sometimes, weight isn't evrything, some blades just feel special regardless if you have 10 or more around the same weight.

Edited by nv42 - 12/08/2016 at 2:03pm
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 1:56pm
Again, the ball stays in contact with the rubber for something like 1 millisecond.  Your sensory systems cannot register that.  The ball contact causes the blade to vibrate for a period of time that is much longer than the ball contact, and that you can feel. And almost certainly, at least part of the length of time that the blade vibrates is what you feel as "dwell".  Thinner blade will vibrate longer.  Does that mean the ball stays in contact with the blade longer?  Possibly.  Or maybe not.  Again, there is "feel" and "real".  Does a lighter blade feel different?  Absolutely.  Does it generate more spin?  I am not convinced.  It might.  But I doubt there would be much difference between an 85 g Viscaria and a 90g Viscaria for that.

I agree with the last statement that some blades are just special, regardless of weight.  Who knows why?  Sort of like violins and guitars, I suppose.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 2:04pm
Deleted

Edited by jackwong23 - 12/08/2016 at 2:05pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I don't believe there is that much of a difference.  Sorry, I just don't buy it.  No disrespect intended, but I just can't see it.  I have several of these blades over a fairly considerable weight range for a long time.   So, in order for someone to convince me of this would require some very accurate high-speed measurements (where we could actually measure the ball rotations).

(Also, the amount of arc will actually be some function of the ratio of the spin to the speed of the ball.  Greater racket speed is just as likely to generate more speed than more spin.  And as has been pointed out on many different TT theads at multiple TT forums, the thing that feels like dwell time when you hit the ball is certainly not the dwell time per se, and may or may not be actually related to the actual time the ball stays in contact with the rubber).

The way I understand it is that my lighter Vis is less bouncy and therefore can hold the ball longer and create more spin than the heavier Vis. Heavier blades are generally More bouncy and are more difficult to create spin with.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by nv42 nv42 wrote:

What the OP is saying ain't entirely false, iv had a similar experience with the xiom vega pro, of the lot iv tried, the lighter ones hold the ball a bit longer and produce spin a bit easier. Though, you can easily create the same spin with a heavier blade with good technique, and the heavier blades usually have the advantage of generating more power from behind the table too. And the ball dips earlier with the slower blade because there's less speed on the ball, if you just close your bat angle and brush a bit more with the faster blade you should get a similar dip.

All in all, for the p- ball, id definitely choose a blade that's at the upper limit of what I can handle weight wise. Though sometimes, weight isn't evrything, some blades just feel special regardless if you have 10 or more around the same weight.

At last someone agrees with me.

From my personally experiece, my lighter Vis gives me
more dwell time which makes it easier for me to create spin and curve/dip on the ball. The disadvantage with lighter blades is that they are less powerful and have a more hollow feeling than heavier blades.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 2:23pm
For reference, higher weight =/= lower swing speed, at least not necessarily.

I posted a Japanese study a long while ago that showed typical weight difference seen in table tennis blade did not have much of an effect on swing speed and the resultant spin as typically thought otherwise. A typical athlete can and the body will compensate for that with a different part of muscle group.

Dwell time is directly related to the natural frequency and mode shape, known collectively as the mode of vibration. As shown in a Taiwanese study.

Spin is a very complicated matter when it comes to testing. So far I haven't seen any study that compares the spin between same model of blades of different weight. Well, the said study above used the same blade but with different sizes of the backhand rubber to adjust the weight. The condition is thus different. So, the matter is still up in the air.

Edited by zeio - 12/08/2016 at 2:36pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

Baal, the following is the reason why I know my lighter Viscaria can create a lot more spin than my heavier Viscaria. The lighter blade can probably create 50 % more spin than the heavier blade.

As always, video or it didn't happen.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

As always, video or it didn't happen.

How else do you explain the ability of my lighter Viscaria to create
more dip / curve on the ball than the heavier Viscaria?

I believe the theory is quite simple :
A Less bouncy blade offer more dwell time, which in term gives you more time
to graze the ball and makes it easier for you to create spin.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 2:45pm
It's not that I don't trust you. It's just that whenever a huge number appears out of thin air, it must be substantiated. Otherwise, it carries no value.

The least you can do is measure the thickness of the blade and ideally record the sound(then do a Fast Fourier Transform of the waveform afterwards) while bouncing a ball up and down the blade, both bare and with same rubbers on.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Johnny.d.p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny.d.p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 2:50pm
If this was a scientific report, I'd say the results are biased. Sure you can have your beliefs but unless there are controlled variables, a single indepedent variable along with measurable outcomes, no reasonable conclusion can be achieved.

The basis of personal feeling is insufficient to have conclusive results as to whethwr or not a lighter Viscaria imparts more spin than a heavier Viscaria. Also, the mass of the blade, not to my knowledge, has not been attributed officially to its flexibility and bounce factors. I think that's getting mistaken with density but I guess that makes sense if all blades are made perfectly in dimensions.

No disrespect but a single person's inconsistent loops and judgemwnts are what is considered random errors and also bring rise to discrepancies due to results being judged by the eyes.

Even if you test with the same rubbers, no two rubbers are perfectly identical ans glued exactly the same so that does bring rise to assumptions and inaccuracies.

Edited by Johnny.d.p - 12/08/2016 at 2:51pm
BTY Viscaria FL 88g | DHS H3 BS 2.1 41 x DianChi | BTY Tenergy 64
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 2:52pm
But it doesn't stop there, the data collected from bouncing a ball could be different from the data collected from an actual play, as shown by the Taiwanese study. The speed alone can be small enough to not show a difference between two blades. It's argued that a harder rubber can produce more spin, yet the prerequisite is that the capability of the player is also higher. So, softer rubber = easier spin, as illustrated in a Yasaka catalog and an Andro pamphlet. It could be that you're not capable of making full use of the heavier Viscaria, leading to your conclusion.

Edited by zeio - 12/08/2016 at 2:54pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 3:11pm

It's not that I don't trust you. It's just that whenever a huge number appears out of thin air, it must be substantiated. Otherwise, it carries no value.

The least you can do is measure the thickness of the blade and ideally record the sound(then do a Fast Fourier Transform of the waveform afterwards) while bouncing a ball up and down the blade, both bare and with same rubbers on.

Zeio, I dont have the necessasy equipments to carry out this kind of exhaustive test. IF anyone on this forum have the time, knowhow and equipments to perform this kind of test, please go ahead and let us know the result.

I arrive at my conclusion simply from my own personal experience of using the same blade with different weight ( which in this case is Viscaria ), by judging the difference in curve/dip of the ball, and the difficulty or ease of my opponents facing my topspin strokes.

Edited by jackwong23 - 12/08/2016 at 3:48pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 3:19pm
To substantiate my last statement, there was one time back in 2009 when I got the chance to try out the Viscaria for the first time. I was using the Stiga Offensive Wood NCT with old black provincial Hurricane 3(2.2mm) and Nittaku Reforma 2.1mm. The Viscaria had red provincial Hurricane 3(2.1mm), and I think Butterfly Bryce. Weight was unknown, but the Viscaria setup felt substantially heavier. So as scientific as a grain of salt, my first impression on the first loop was that it felt bland, as if it sucked in all the vibrations, when compared to the Stiga vibrator. The next thing I realized the spin was not as strong. I had to put in more effort to get the same power out of a stroke. I kept trying for a few more strokes before I was certain it was harder and required an adjustment to do an equally strong loop.

Then a few years down the road I finally got my own Viscaria and the impressions still hold to this day. For some shots like reaching for the wide forehand, pretty much under the same condition, more often than not my different opponents could return my loop with the Viscaria than with the Offensive Wood NCT. The bottom line? It is harder to make as good a shot with the Viscaria. But is it a universal truth? That's hard to tell.

Edited by zeio - 12/08/2016 at 3:21pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 3:34pm
And unless my eyes tell me lies, I do believe a 85g Viscaria create more topspin than a 90g Viscaria.
My lighter Vis has more dwell time and makes the ball dip/curve more.

Edited by jackwong23 - 12/08/2016 at 3:38pm
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 3:43pm
It might have more to do with the flex than the weight, given that blades are made of wood, i m guessing such variations are common place.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 3:44pm
That could be true. From a post by JRSDallas, mathematically, a few grams of difference could lead to a shift in frequency, not much and the question remains - is it statistically significant and how significant it must be for it to be perceivable by human.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 3:49pm

And unless my eyes tell me lies, I do believe a 85g Viscaria create more topspin than a 90g Viscaria.

Then a lighter Viscaria suits you better. That's what matters.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 3:56pm

It's also possible to make the ball dip/curve more/less by adjusting the angle of the racket and/or brushing the ball more/less.  It's also possible the difference in weight is causing you to make small adjustments of that nature subconsciously.

Edited by GMan4911 - 12/08/2016 at 4:01pm
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 4:20pm
Ho Kwan Kit uses a 84g Custom Viscaria, much lighter than expected. It could be that he feels the same way.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

It's also possible to make the ball dip/curve more/less by adjusting the angle of the racket and/or brushing the ball more/less.  It's also possible the difference in weight is causing you to make small adjustments of that nature subconsciously.

Exactly! A light and hollow blade won't propel the ball as much as a heavier denser blade and hence in order to get a similar 'looking' loop with it you would need to close the blade angle or maybe adjust your technique a bit. Bascially, If lighter/hollow blades work for your technique, stop thinking too much and just enjoy playing with them. :)
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 4:29pm

Ho Kwan Kit uses a 84g Custom Viscaria, much lighter than expected. It could be that he feels the same way.

Yes, most pros use 90+g blades because heavier blades are generally more powerful. DESPITE The better control, it is much more difficult to hit a winner pass your opponents with a lighter blade.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic