Topic ClosedDelete please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2017 at 5:25pm
I agree with Andy and Patrick. 

Actually, I would like to add that their reviews are some of the most complete and best on the internet, and I have gotten a lot of useful information from them in recent years.  But it takes quite a bit of time to write one like that and they don't review every new product that becomes available.  Another thing about forums is that over the years you sort of figure out some people who's tastes are a bit similar to your own*, although ultimately there is no substitute for trying one yourself.

* My problem as a reviewer personally is that I am not enough of an EJ to be able to compare a new rubber/blade to very many others because I don't try that many.  I know ALC blades well.  And with rubber, if I know fairly quickly that I don't like something, than I don't spend enough time with it to really get to figure out why, so a lot of the time I don't bother to write anything, I often just give it away.  
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 1:41am
I looked up h0n1g's recent for-sale posts. I'm not entirely sure if they're the same ones, but the Viscaria and Infinity VPS he tested in his review were used roughly for under 10 hours and 3 hours, respectively?

For reference, I didn't finish breaking in my Viscaria until like 150 hours. I'm using a brand-new Swat right now and it is still a long way from the peak performance I expect after the third 3-hour session.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Poseidon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 2:27am
Wow, I liked this review...Hope he post it back here.

I know a lot of things are very subjective, like spin/control/feel. And even the terms "constructive", "healthy" discussion. But that said, I personally and subjectively don't relate yogi's comments to "constructive" or "healthy" at all. He talks about not personal, but telling people to "Be a man and ...." is in the grey area of getting personal.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 4:39am
Poseidon, i poInted that ONLY AFTER he was complaining of me "bashing" him in which i clearly did not. I only challenged his findings and then he acted childish. Please check the posts in order of them posted chronologically and not mixing or muddling what happened.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 5:01am
I don't know what to make of this trend.

Whether it be the East or the West, I see folks post their reviews on forums pointing out this and that about this blade and that rubber. The next thing you see is the said equipment up for sale in the FS sub.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 9:35am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

I don't know what to make of this trend.

Whether it be the East or the West, I see folks post their reviews on forums pointing out this and that about this blade and that rubber. The next thing you see is the said equipment up for sale in the FS sub.

Yes. It is human nature.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 9:43am
nevermind

Edited by bard romance - 02/27/2017 at 9:48am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 9:51am
I didnt see the original reviews so dont know what he said. 

An experienced player can get an idea pretty fast about broad aspects of equipment, certainly blades.  You give me the new Drinkhall composite blade, which I havent tried yet, I would take less than five minutes to tell you if its in the general range of Btfly ALC blades of similar composition.  That is the one area of equipment I know well.  And if I was reviewing it I would certainly mention that similarity in construction and therefore make that comparison explicit.  And if I made a rubber recommendation (like "needs a fast rubber") I would say why, given that Btfly versions are in the OFF to OFF+ range.

Reviews are always subjective. Even the same person can sometimes write useful reviews and can sometimes mail it in.

So use what you read here carefully. 
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 10:48am
reviews are subjective that is a fact but we have to take into account that blades and equipment have their own characteristics that make them fast or slow. it is always a common phrase when you hear people say" oh that depends on the user for it is subjective." that is only the human side of it, how about the blade properties or rubber properties that make them fast, spinny or slow. That is the one I am arguing about. A blade may be fast for a person and maybe faster for another especially when the range is all+ to off-. when you compare a blade that is off- and some would say it is off it can be considered as acceptable but when you compare a blade that is clearly off+ to an off-, come on now the differences are really huge.
Bottomline, a blade is slow because it is really built slow or fast because it has materials that make it fast regardless of the one that uses it. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Bottomline, a blade is slow because it is really built slow or fast because it has materials that make it fast regardless of the one that uses it. 

Yes, quite.  If everyone has the same range of strokes and plays the same way.  Which of course, they do not.  A close-in blocker/pusher/hitter might evaluate a bouncy off- (as labelled) blade as being faster than a softer off+ blade overall because they rarely play full strokes, or use a lot of power when away from the table.  Which is why it's so important to make it clear what your level and style is when you review things - it avoids confusion from this kind of subjectivity.

Using a calibrated machine would help to avoid this with equipment speed (mainly for blades - rubbers are more complex regarding topsheet load and sponge compression etc), but all we have is ourselves, and hopefully an honest attempt to discuss things as best we can in a civilised way.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 11:50am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Yes, quite.  If everyone has the same range of strokes and plays the same way.  Which of course, they do not.  A close-in blocker/pusher/hitter might evaluate a bouncy off- (as labelled) blade as being faster than a softer off+ blade overall because they rarely play full strokes, or use a lot of power when away from the table.  Which is why it's so important to make it clear what your level and style is when you review things - it avoids confusion from this kind of subjectivity.

Using a calibrated machine would help to avoid this with equipment speed (mainly for blades - rubbers are more complex regarding topsheet load and sponge compression etc), but all we have is ourselves, and hopefully an honest attempt to discuss things as best we can in a civilised way.

As what I am trying to point out you are mixing the human side and the material side. No matter what the level of the one using the equipment , the properties of the blade in this instance do not change. A clear distinction has to be made between the properties of the blade and the tester. Even if a blocker would smash using 2 different blades with the same rubber I bet my life he could tell the difference in speed.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 11:55am
Besides, even if your style is blocking or pushing please do not tell me you can not smash a ball and tell the difference in speed or control. This is a test after all, you let somebody give you a high ball and you smash it or loop it and you are telling me you will not be able to tell the difference in speed or control? The example you gave me is very flawed.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 12:06pm
Bottomline, no matter what your style is when you test an equipment test it with specific strokes like test it using a smash or a loop like using the same rubber with 2 different blades or using the same blade with 2 different rubbers. It will always give you the difference in speed, control and other factors, not all the time but always. The example you gave me andy was just somebody using it but not fully test it in a fair manner. There is a big difference with testing equipment and just trying them out. I know you know that.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 12:15pm
I think if the original review was posted again, yogi's issues (which I quite frankly share) would be made clear.  I get the civil etc. and level etc.  but the review itself was tone deaf to mainstream views and didn't define what it meant consistently.  The reviewer should have been ready for antagonistic responses given how tone deaf the review was.  I just didn't bother because I found it so far from mainstream I didn't have time to visit it in detail.  I like civil disagreement, and yogi could have been more polite,  but without the review, it becomes harder to see some of the stuff that yogi was responding to.  
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 12:19pm

A clear distinction has to be made between the properties of the blade and the tester. Even if a blocker would smash using 2 different blades with the same rubber I bet my life he could tell the difference in speed.

It's all relative yogi, and you can't make a clear distinction between blade and tester when it's the tester's hands doing the work.  Because we are not calibrated, universal machines.

I agree with your comment about smashing, and I would hope that an experienced reviewer would make sure to mention how the smashing went.  But people tend to give a headline speed rating, or an overall comparison of speed between blades they have used.  This "average" speed experience smudges together their overall impression, and if smashing isn't a big part of their game then it won't be a big part of their overall speed rating.  And we don't tend to say "off- for looping, off+ for smashing, off for blocking", do we?  Although perhaps that would be useful, I don't know.

But if someone says they mostly block and hit, and rarely loop, I would expect them to disagree on a wide range of points about equipment.  It doesn't make them wrong and me right in any objective way.

Bottomline, no matter what your style is when you test an equipment test it with specific strokes like test it using a smash or a loop like using the same rubber with 2 different blades or using the same blade with 2 different rubbers. It will always give you the difference in speed, control and other factors, not all the time but always. The example you gave me andy was just somebody using it but not fully test it in a fair manner. There is a big difference with testing equipment and just trying them out. I know you know that.

Of course I understand this.  The difference is - I value a "full test" more than a limited one, but I don't totally disregard the limited one, and I don't go on the attack about it.  Especially when someone has been open and honest about the limitations of their style.  I feel that there is still value in that, and the only possibility of confusion is if someone hasn't read the whole thing.  You seem to feel differently, which is fine (if a little negative, IMO, which is also fine of course).  I think it's a shame that the OP felt the way they did about this thread and that they felt it necessary to remove the review.  The opportunity to encourage more input from them seems to have gone now.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I think if the original review was posted again, yogi's issues (which I quite frankly share) would be made clear.  I get the civil etc. and level etc.  but the review itself was tone deaf to mainstream views and didn't define what it meant consistently.  The reviewer should have been ready for antagonistic responses given how tone deaf the review was.  I just didn't bother because I found it so far from mainstream I didn't have time to visit it in detail.  I like civil disagreement, and yogi could have been more polite,  but without the review, it becomes harder to see some of the stuff that yogi was responding to.  

I found it interesting precisely because it was against the mainstream, and it said a lot about how subjective these things can be.  But yes, the moment has gone now and that's a shame.
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 1:45pm
It's all good guys. No hard feelings.

I might post individual reviews in the future that are less comparative in nature.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I found it interesting precisely because it was against the mainstream, and it said a lot about how subjective these things can be.  But yes, the moment has gone now and that's a shame.

Why am I not surprised at an informed reader finding something interesting that might confuse the uninformed?
Cybershape Carbon
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 3:02pm
something wrong here. he says: taking a decent amount of lessons (about 30 hours total)
you can't call decent amount 30 hours of lessons. It's nothing
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

something wrong here. he says: taking a decent amount of lessons (about 30 hours total)

What exactly do you mean? If a total beginner takes 30h or lessons it probably doesn't mean too much but if somebody at a 2000 level takes 30h of lessons to fine tune technique, that may be a decent amount.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

here is his review as of 2/25/2017:
------------------------

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">**After the feedback in this thread, I have re-tested all the blades with the same rubber combo (Tibhar EL-S 2.1mm on FH and BH***
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">About me: I'm an average player. Have been playing table tennis for about 10 years. Was very active in my youth playing league at a decent regional level. I've stopped playing competitively at age 17 and have since been a casual player. My technique has probably some decent fundamentals but my movement and in part my technique is certainly quite rusty. I've played a lot more TT again in the past two years including taking a decent amount of lessons (about 30 hours total) and playing 2 times a week at least.</span><div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">My past equipment (EJ'ing):<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">BTY Viscaria w. EL-S 2.1/EL-S.2.1<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Nittaku Acoustic Carbon w. EL-S 2.1/EL-S.2.1<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Stiga Infinity VPS w. EL-S 2.1/EL-S.2.1<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">I've now acquired a Nittaku Violin (Large Handle) w. EL-S 2.1/EL-S.2.1<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">I have also had the chance to play the Jun Mizutani SZLC with the EL-S 2.1/EL-S.2.1.<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">All blades have been played for at least 90 minutes during this testing incl. training and 2 matches each.<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Speed<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Ranking:
1. Jun Mizutani SZLC<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">2. Acoustic Carbon<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">3. Viscaria<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">4. Infinity VPS / Nittaku Violin<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">The JM SZLC feels like the fastest blade by a good margin. However. due to its soft wood, you initially don't really feel that fast. However, it is consistently faster than the Acoustic which follows in a not two distant second place. The Infinity VPS and the Violin are very close to each other in terms of speed. Again, these are my subjective observations.<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Spin<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Ranking:<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">1) Acoustic Carbon<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">2) Violin<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">3) JM SZLC / Viscaria<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">4) Infinity VPS<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">The Acoustic just helps produce an insane amount of spin; The Violin is very spinny as well. I didnt expect to get that much dwell from this type of wood but it creates great spin with little effort. The JM SZLC has a nice dwell time as well thanks to its Limba outer layer. To me, it wasn't as spinny as the Violin or rather, it required a bit more effort. The Viscaria is very similar in terms of spin potential to me. Lastly, the Infinity was disappointing to me in comparison to the other blades. You needed to hit the ball quite perfectly in order to put a good amount of spin on it.<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Control<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Ranking:<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">1) Violin<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">2) JM SZLC<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">3) Acoustic Carbon / Infinity VPS<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">4) Viscaria<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">To me, the Violin is by far the most controlled blade. It has such a touch and its very easy to move the ball around. One way to describe it is that its confidence inspiring. To my great surprise, the JM SZLC wasn't far off. This might be because of my play style where I like to sometimes block and play more passive. This is a monster for blocking and passive play. The sweet spot is so enormous that no matter where you hit on the blade, you are getting a decent return. With some distance, the Acoustic Carbon and the Infinity follow; to me, especially the Acoustic Carbon requires a delicate touch to control the short game. The Viscaria was the most difficult to control for me when it comes to placing shots and playing short-short with a lot of pushes.<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Quality<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Ranking:<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">1) Acoustic Carbon<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">2) Violin<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">3) JM SZLC<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">4) Viscaria <div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">5) Infinity VPS<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">The top 3 are very close together. All impeccable. The Viscaria has a nice finish as well but it just "feels" a little more mass-produced. The Infinity has a rough finish in comparison.<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Hope this might help someone some day.<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253; font-size: 10px;">

Edited by h0n1g - 02/25/2017 at 12:25am</span>
I disagree with the spin ranking. I've played with the infinity for about 6 months and ever since I used the viscaria. I also switched between the blades while I still had both and whenever I swithches back to infinity I felt a huge difference in dwell time. I think you all know the feeling when you switch to a different blade maybe carbon to all word and something feels very different. For me I felt like the ball was staying on my racket for about 1 second or so when I switched back to infinity. Thus making a shot with more spin than with the viscaria. Obviously those differences start to go away as you continue to play with the blade.(Like buying something new and with time you lose that special feeling for it.)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 4:36pm
To the extent I can compare these blades (I played with Accoustic Carbon once for about a minute, and a Violin a little longer and ran away screaming from both, have hit more with various sZLC blades) I find his scores really weird.  But, it's the internet.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

What exactly do you mean? If a total beginner takes 30h or lessons it probably doesn't mean too much but if somebody at a 2000 level takes 30h of lessons to fine tune technique, that may be a decent amount.

I exactly mean that 30 hours not enough
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

30 hours 1 hour a week + practice at the club 3x/week can get a total beginner to 1500 usatt which shows understanding of the game.

with 1 hour a week it will be 7 month. maybe for gifted person its enough. I do it almost 3 years and still very far from to be enough. But its just my opinion. I thought in this thread people already agreed that everyone can have his opinion ...
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 6:47pm
This thread is not going anywhere, can we lock it?
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 7:07pm
I would agree, this thread has run its course. I have even changed the title to "delete please" 2 days ago.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

This thread is not going anywhere, can we lock it?

After reading his review, you felt that bad? LOL.   And I am just joking.
Cybershape Carbon
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 8:21pm
good way to fuel the fire NextLevel. Here's some gasoline.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by h0n1g h0n1g wrote:

good way to fuel the fire NextLevel. Here's some gasoline.

Lighten up! (pun intended)
Cybershape Carbon
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 9:15pm
Tongue that ones pretty god
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic