Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with new rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pingpong7475 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpong7475 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with new rubber
    Posted: 05/07/2017 at 7:41am
Hi guys, this is my first post here, hope ive got it in the right section.
Currently am looking to replace my donic desto f3 and impuls speed on an appelgren allplay blade. Had them for six years and I think they need replacing. Looking at some stores its quite daunting, so i was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions if I state my opinions on some that I've tried.

Desto f3 and impuls speed - Great except found that I couldn't get great spin, especially on serves
Hexer + - found it hard to keep balls on the table (always going off the end). because I had to put such an angle on it I found that I still couldn't do much spin. Short game was hard. it felt no matter how soft I hit it it just went fast off the racket.
Hurricane 3- The spin was great, close table stuff was great, but as it wasn't a tensor a found it too slow and too much effort to loop. Much too hard sponge

All in all I'm looking for something with a lot of control, followed by spin and speed. I'd say I'm an advanced beginner (playing for many years on and off), but main priority is getting balls on the table. These are what I've looked at so far

Rasant Beat
Rasant Powersponge
Bluefire JP03

If you guys have any suggestions please make them!
thanks
Sponsored Links

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2017 at 2:50pm
Based on what you said about the H3 you might like one of the hybrid Chinese rubbers.  These have the tacky topsheets like H3, but the sponge is softer and closer to Euro sponges.  I have used Yinhe Big Dipper 37deg and 729 Battle II.  Currently using the Big Dipper. 

I think Tibhar Grips and Butterfly Spin Art fall in that same category.  Maybe more experienced players will comment.

Mark
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2017 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Based on what you said about the H3 you might like one of the hybrid Chinese rubbers.  These have the tacky topsheets like H3, but the sponge is softer and closer to Euro sponges.  I have used Yinhe Big Dipper 37deg and 729 Battle II.  Currently using the Big Dipper. 

I think Tibhar Grip-S and Butterfly Spin Art fall in that same category.  Maybe more experienced players will comment.

Mark
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2017 at 3:12pm
Don't get attached to the idea of Rasant Beat or Powersponge.  They're both discontinued, Andro have replaced them with the Rasanter range.

From your previous rubbers, and how you've put the question across, I feel that you're looking for something with more spin potential without going too overboard.  And you seem to be more used to softer sponges.  You could stick with eurojap and go with a controlled-spin approach with Rasanter R42 or V42, Butterfly Rozena, Nexy Karis (or even JP03 as you've mentioned).  Or you could go down the hybrid route with Big Dipper, Target National, H3-50 or Hybrid K1 for a middle ground between H3 and your current ESN rubbers.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2017 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by pingpong7475 pingpong7475 wrote:

Hi guys, this is my first post here, hope ive got it in the right section.
Currently am looking to replace my donic desto f3 and impuls speed on an appelgren allplay blade. Had them for six years and I think they need replacing. Looking at some stores its quite daunting, so i was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions if I state my opinions on some that I've tried.

Desto f3 and impuls speed - Great except found that I couldn't get great spin, especially on serves
Hexer + - found it hard to keep balls on the table (always going off the end). because I had to put such an angle on it I found that I still couldn't do much spin. Short game was hard. it felt no matter how soft I hit it it just went fast off the racket.
Hurricane 3- The spin was great, close table stuff was great, but as it wasn't a tensor a found it too slow and too much effort to loop. Much too hard sponge

All in all I'm looking for something with a lot of control, followed by spin and speed. I'd say I'm an advanced beginner (playing for many years on and off), but main priority is getting balls on the table. These are what I've looked at so far

Rasant Beat
Rasant Powersponge
Bluefire JP03

If you guys have any suggestions please make them!
thanks

I don't think it's a surprise that 6-yr old rubber is not that spinny anymore. If you like it otherwise, just get fresh sheets (assuming they are still available).

If you had trouble controlling Hexer+, I suspect Rasant options will have the same issue, unless you go with thinner sponge (1.8).  The fact that they are discontinued  - well, you can get them for cheap now Wink.

I would add Donic Baracuda (again, perhaps in 1.8 mm) to your list - plenty of spin and not a speed monster.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpong7475 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2017 at 6:27pm
By the way, when they refer to throw angle, is that how bouncy it is? a bit confused
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpong7475 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2017 at 1:47am
I've never heard of the Rozena before, would it be too much to handle?

Edited by pingpong7475 - 05/08/2017 at 1:47am
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2017 at 2:37am
I would second the Baracuda option and whatever rubber you get don't go thicker than 1.9 since the control is your priority. Your current rubbers are some of the softest and lightest I know, so be ready to accept changes in your set up.
Don't forget to take a look at Xiom range and the new Stiga offerings(Genius, Mantra) If you buy chinese don't go for a tacky one
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpong7475 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2017 at 3:03am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

I would second the Baracuda option and whatever rubber you get don't go thicker than 1.9 since the control is your priority. Your current rubbers are some of the softest and lightest I know, so be ready to accept changes in your set up.
Don't forget to take a look at Xiom range and the new Stiga offerings(Genius, Mantra) If you buy chinese don't go for a tacky one

I've read that baracuda has a high throw, is high throw the same thing as how bouncy it is?. Will definitely check this out
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2017 at 3:37am
I don't think that a high throw is related to the bounciness. It is complex of pip structure, top sheet, sponge.....blade too.
Here we would call it "arc", I have an older English fella(superb player) who doesn't use the word "throw" in this sense he always says "high trajectory" or low...
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2017 at 4:50am
Rozena is new, a more controllable tenergy type of rubber.  Still good spin, and still quite sensitive to spin in comparison to the market average.  Still a bit expensive.

Baracuda is a great option - spinny without huge speed.

"Throw" is a very vague term and should always be taken with a pinch of salt.  Very subjective.  I find that high throw rubbers tend to be high spin, but are then conversely more sensitive to incoming spin.  But that depends on your technique, so not everyone will agree.  It's just a shorthand description of rubbers that launch the ball with a higher arc.  I still find it a useful term.

Stuff like Desto and Impuls are fairly low-spin in comparison to many top-end rubbers these days IMO.  If you want spinnier rubbers then be prepared to work on dealing with your opponent's spin more as a trade-off for the increased spin you get yourself.  Or stick with your current setup and work on your own technique.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpong7475 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2017 at 4:58am
Thanks AndySmith, I think I'm gonna go with the Barracuda, I think It'll force me to up my technique, and I'll get it in the 1.8mm.
husarul View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote husarul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 4:28pm
Baracuda is great for backhand but it is so heavy rubber!
Xiom Ignito FL, Xiom Omega IV pro max.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic