Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

is paraffin oil is good for tacky rubber?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is paraffin oil is good for tacky rubber?
    Posted: 09/24/2017 at 7:28pm
I've seen this claim a lot in the forums here.

One went as far as to say that if apply paraffin oil to tacky rubber and cover it, not using it for a month, it'll make the rubber insanely tacky.
Others just say it's good to put a very thin coat on and wipe it off to rejuvenate the tackiness.

Is it true?
If so, what is the science behind it?
Is it ultimately bad for the longevity of the rubber or does it truly refresh it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2017 at 9:58pm
here we go....
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2017 at 11:00pm
You can do that on old rubbers and you'll get an hour or 1.5 hours worth of spin and it will be slick again. That and it won't be the same spin and response than the original product.
I would not try on newer rubbers because yes, it would change them and make them older faster.
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2017 at 1:41pm
there are no shortcuts in table tennis

rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2017 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

there are no shortcuts in table tennis

There clearly is a right and wrong way to take care of equipment in terms of its longevity.
Some people said this is the right way, so I asked if it's true. If you know a better way I'd love to hear it because it will save me money.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2017 at 5:52pm
I've never heard that applying paraffin oil on the rubber surface was good for extending the life of that rubber. And i have never tried that.

What I do is keep the rubbers clean, using rubber protectors and store the racket in a hard case. That keeps the rubbers clean for a while. You can use water to clean the rubbers. Some suggest dish cleaners. I think water is fine.

FdT
Jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2017 at 6:30pm
I tried paraffin oil on the topsheet of an old Hurricane 2 rubber, it gained excessive tackiness but faded away in about two weeks, and could never be brought back again.

If you would like to test with some boosters, maybe try chop4ever's topsheet and sponge revivers. 
Fly away!
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2017 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Jasonh Jasonh wrote:

I tried paraffin oil on the topsheet of an old Hurricane 2 rubber, it gained excessive tackiness but faded away in about two weeks, and could never be brought back again.

If you would like to test with some boosters, maybe try chop4ever's topsheet and sponge revivers. 

Thank you for introducing me!

BTW, I have tried paraffin oil, olive oil, canola oil, body care oil, baby oil, Falco Life expander,....ect. They actually make the topsheet to be griper however they also cause the topsheet to be swelled like a balloon. After a couple of days, the tack layer will be brittle and you can't deal with incoming topspin.

Paraffin oil seems cheap and affordable but it is more harmful than we thought. The tack layer also be brittle if you apply paraffin oil based booster, even on sponge. That chemical will slowly transfer to topsheet and the glue between ts and sp. It's end up with non-tacky ts and fragile rubber (easy to make bubble).

There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2017 at 9:11am
"BTW, I have tried paraffin oil, olive oil, canola oil, body care oil, baby oil, Falco Life expander,....ect. "

Not on the same sheet I hope!! LOLLOLLOL

FdT
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2017 at 9:28am
A friend of mine that is over 2300 swears that using WD-40 on your rubber from time to time will keep it lasting much longer. A friend of his that is a geologist said that the components used in WD-40 would work well with the rubber and thus help it's longevity. He has been using it for years and he once showed me a sheet that was like brand new that he had played with for almost 2 years. He did keep a rubber protector on it, but when he peeled it off it was very grippy. Best of luck
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic