FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nittaku Acoustic Alternative

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
slimrunner View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slimrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nittaku Acoustic Alternative
    Posted: 10/27/2017 at 11:55am
I've tried this blade 1 time and I feel very very interesting. But it is to expensive, then I looking for something cheaper, and similar. 
Thanks for all suggestion.
How to become a best player??
Sponsored Links

assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2017 at 12:11pm
You may have some from OSP (Virtuoso or Virtuoso +) but they are not cheap either
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2017 at 1:24pm
Nittaku S5
Barwell fleet, Omega 7 Pro & Fastarc S1
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2017 at 1:42pm
Buy a used one on the for sale board. I just got one from joeb and i believe a seller in europe has an even cheaper one with a small ding for sale now with worldwide shipping available. There is really no reason to buy a blade new unless it just came out.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2017 at 2:35pm
Among the many blades I've tested, Nexy Peterpan comes the closest (even closer than OSP Virtuoso(+)).
One difference is that Peterpan is more centre-balanced, while Acoustic is rather head-heavy.
If you prefer a similarly head-heavy blade, consider Nittaku Latika. It's a bit stiffer that Acoustic, but overall rather close. Another option may be Nittaku Kasumi Basic (Latika is an oversize version of Kasumi Basic): due to an infortunate name, the Kasumi Basic never got the attention it deserved.

Edited by arg0 - 10/27/2017 at 2:38pm
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2017 at 2:55pm
Yeah Peterpan is very close.

To me, the Latika felt pretty different to be honest thou
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2017 at 3:12pm
I wonder if these violin blades are different just because of the Hide Glue Inside
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2017 at 4:21pm
I'm not aware of any evidence that Nittaku use hide glue: they claim the technique used is similar to the production of string instruments, not the glue. And nowadays hide glue is no longer commonly used for producing string instruments. For a full discussion, see my latest posts in the Acoustic Clan thread, starting here.
If you have any insight, I'd love to know. Please post it there!

Actually, there would be an easy way to know, but it implies heating up a violin up to the melting point of hide glue, which would destroy the blade. Anyone has a broken Acoustic or Violin they want to sacrifice for advancing knowledge?

Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2017 at 4:23pm
BTW, AFAIK hide glue cannot be used for carbon layers, so I bet Acoustic Carbon / Violin Carbon use epoxy glue or similar, at least for the carbon layers.
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2017 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by h0n1g h0n1g wrote:

Yeah Peterpan is very close.
To me, the Latika felt pretty different to be honest thou

Yeah, actually, my memory probably failed me: Latika is probably more similar to Tenor, or in-between. Only played once with it (too head-heavy).
Join the Nexy Clan!
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2017 at 8:52pm
Pretty sure Hide glue is what is used in these violin blades, like in a classic violin.

Hide glue apparently never fully hardens so it stays flexible

I would like to hear from someone who plays with one, can you tell the difference?

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2017 at 9:22pm
I was expecting my Latika to be head heavy, but it is actually very well balanced for an offensive wood. Few club mates tried it and none of them mentioned head heaviness. Lovely blade
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2017 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

I'm not aware of any evidence that Nittaku use hide glue: they claim the technique used is similar to the production of string instruments, not the glue. And nowadays hide glue is no longer commonly used for producing string instruments.

1) A major part of a gluing technique must be the type of glue used... time, temperature,
    humidity, pressure, and drying conditions are other elements.
2) Be it as it may, hide glue or a specific different type of glue, how would this knowledge change 
    anything as related to the present topic? All someone might need to argue would be that the glue 
    should be the same glue as used in the Acoustic (or maybe not...).
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2017 at 2:42am
Im very pleased with my downgraded from RWV to Acoustic which is indeed slower but easier to use overally. However, if you still agree regular Latina is a bit faster with better FL handle and not as head heavy it might be also my blade.

Apart from regular Latika, there's also Carbon which is really expensive and Light or even 7. How about latika 7? No one talked about it.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2017 at 12:42pm
A Simple google search will tell you most... if not all these violin blades were made with Hide glue.

I believe this Is the reason for the extra cost also as hide is more time consuming to work with and makes  these blades special.

Also on a side note Stradivarius used hide when making violins as did lots of expensive guitar makers.

Don't believe me ...do your own research.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2017 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Dr.Cho Dr.Cho wrote:

A Simple google search will tell you most... if not all these violin blades were made with Hide glue.
I believe[...]
Don't believe me ...do your own research.

I did, and I could not find any trustworthy source, just rumours and hearsay. Do you have any reliable source?
I translated pages from the Nittaku catalog from JP to EN, but found no evidence of use of hide glue.
I asked Nittaku but got no reply.
The handle of my Violin got detached after a fall, and I repaired it with hide glue. It was not an easy process, and using hide glue industrially for producing laminated wood must be a nightmare. I suppose that if they did, the Nittaku "strings" blades would cost even more.
But there is liquid hide glue, and it may be well possible that Nittaku use that. It does not have the same properties as "normal" hide glue, though.

Anyway, as I said there is only one way to know: take an Acoustic or Violin, and heat it up to 55-60 C. If there's hide glue, it will melt and the layers will come apart. If they don't, it's not hide glue. Anyone brave enough?

If anyone has a broken Violin or Acoustic, let me know.

Sorry for the OT.

PS: hide glue does not stay flexible, it crystallises and becomes hard and brittle when cured. This hardness transmit vibrations very well, a flexible glue layer would dampen vibrations.
If you make a drop of hot hide glue, let it cure and then hit it with a hammer: the drop will shatter. Liquid hide glue doesn't dry to that brittle hardness. A drop of Titebond 1 (original) will also shatter; Titebond 2 (premium) and 3 (ultimate) remain somewhat flexible.
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2017 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Dr.Cho Dr.Cho wrote:

[...]Hide glue apparently never fully hardens so it stays flexible

Quite the opposite, read my previous post.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2017 at 7:46pm
Of Course Nittaku didn't reply.

Just like Butterfly keeps some of their woods secret.
They aren't  going to release proprietary info.

If you repaired your violin with hide you already know the truth.

You can lead a horse to water.
Believe what you want ... I'm out

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2017 at 3:57pm
I did repair it with hide glue because it was the safest choice.
What I or you believe may or may not be the truth.
Adiós.
Join the Nexy Clan!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic