Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Backhand Opening Against Light Underspin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backhand Opening Against Light Underspin
    Posted: 02/08/2018 at 9:54am
I've made a few threads last year about my backhand... but I'm still not getting it right. My consistency has definitely gone way up, but the form is just not the same as the pros, haha!

So this time I have a slightly different question. I know with more and more practice, even with less than ideal form, my body will adjust and my speed and consistency will go up. What I'm wondering is if what I'm doing now is a good base for improvement, or if I should go back to the drawing board again with it.

By the way, this is what I'm trying to mimic.

And this is me (last 2 shots is a side on angle).

Of course, their usage of the wrist is amazing, and I really struggle adding wrist into the equation. They seem to have more of a flat hit style movement with the forearm, but with a very good wrist action that gives them lots of spin and speed with a closed racket angle.

I can't get the wrist action right, so I'm compensating by having my forearm act like what their wrist is doing, if that makes sense. Having a more diagonal path with the forearm.

Lots of people locally tell me to use less wrist and more forearm, like what I'm doing now. It seems to be an acceptable "beginners" way. But then again, very few people at the club are able to do what those high level players do.

Any advice appreciated.

P.S. During my own practice time, which is a lot less than I'd like (but that's another story hehe), I've probably been spending like 60%+ of my time on my backhand recently, but of course my forehand is still way better!!
Sponsored Links

koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 7:25pm
Finally! A table tennis question about one shot I am actually good at.  Unfortunately, it is the only one I am good at, but that is story for another day.

You have a good fundamental stroke, but you are focusing on the wrist a little too much.  As you are trying to get the timing and technique worked out, focus on keeping the wrist loose and on making a more of a forward stroke with your forearm.  It does not hurt to initiate the motion with a short hip turn either.  Most importantly, on the backswing, cock your wrist back a little (back, not down) and then relax it.  As your forearm moves forward, your wrist will snap forward by itself.  Once you get the feel for the timing, you can start adding a little more or a little less wrist snap to modulate spin. 

The forward movement with the forearm is very important.  Do not worry about lifting the ball so much, just let the wrist stay loose and snap through the ball.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 8:07pm
I'd use more of the body, your movement is heavy on the arm. Once you start using the body, you don't need to lift anything that much, you can just go forward.
Back to table tennis...
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 10:47pm
If your elbow drops below your wrist, you will waste a lot of energy to generate adequate spin and speed. Start by leading with your elbow.
For balls close to the table, lead with your elbow and use more wrist and less forearm. For short mid distance, add more forearm.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 11:13pm
Thank you guys!

@koshkin I actually thought I was too passive with my wrist haha. But I get what you mean. I'm concentrating too much on it. Bend it back, relax, and swing forward. Got it! I wonder if I'm hitting the ball too close to my body.

@Leshxa Do you have any tips or tricks to learn to use the body? I have this habit like bouncing up as I'm hitting the ball to help lift it. I've been told before to well... not do that hehe. As for using the waist, it seems really hard to add it in. In the video above (the first video), the guy mentioned that I should concentrate on my arm first, and add body later. Though he has a great backhand even without really using his body.

@ashishsharmaait I'd like to hear more about that! A lot of people tell me that I should try and keep my elbow still. Of course everyone has some movement in the elbow, but is leading with the elbow a thing people focus on to develop the stroke? So far I've been trying to keep it as still as possible. That might be a huge fundamental flaw I have!! 
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 11:56pm
For starters, beginners are told to only use forearm( a little forearm) so that they STOP worrying abt using their wrist. If you use your forearm with a relaxed wrist then you'll automatically end up using your write just right.

Also, when you are playing the ball soo close to the table and use soo much forearm you'll just subconsciously develop more of a vertical stroke since the forearm adds speed to the ball and extra speed near the table means the ball will go off the table. So I'd say back of the table a little bit first.

And by leading with the elbow ashish must've meant to have your elbow stretched out slightly in front of you while your forearm and wrist is slightly coiled behind it, so he did not mean to move your elbow, but rather use it as a pivot point.

You will only start getting real power on the ball once you start using your body, but first, try developing a good feeling /timing for the ball using your forearm and wrist. Try getting it to work against normal counter balls first, and if someone can feed you slow n soft counters to your bh then that will really help develop your feeling and timing.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 12:17am
I like your by opening better than the "perfect" one, although we do not see the ball trajectory on the perfect one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic