Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

(koto, hinoki, limba) + chinese hard sponge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anjan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (koto, hinoki, limba) + chinese hard sponge
    Posted: 06/05/2018 at 4:22pm
I really don't know what got into my head. may be thinking too muchBig smile.
to the topic

Koto, hinoki(cypress) and limba are the most common outer layers of a table tennis blade of decent quality. they are clubbed with mostly kiri, balsa, ayous center layer with alc, zlc and zlf fibers(2nd and 5th layer vary).  
now
hinoki(soft but fast) = bty cypress series,  Gergely series, Photino, Sardius, Amultart(kiri),      
                                 Garaydia(balsa) series etc.
limba (soft and vibration) = Michael Maze, Korbel, Liu Shiwen, Innerforce series, ma lin carbon, 
                                         mizutani series etc
koto  (crisp and fast) = Timo series, Viscaria, Zhang Jike series etc.

all the Korean super human attackers used or still using hinoki jpen blades with soft sponged japanese of euro rubbers. chinese of japanese allround players using mostly limba outers. and chinese shakehand super attackers using koto outers.

1)so can we conclude that Chinese hard sponged tacky rubbers are well suited with limba and  koto outers than hinoki? 
2)is it only the outer ply or the total blade characteristics like vibration, stiffness,
crispness, thickness etc, all should be taken into account before making a composition? 

please share your experiences.

thank you.

anjan
Sponsored Links

Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2018 at 6:44pm
1) I'm not sure your assessments are spot on.
Many many Japanese also use koto outers. And Europeans. Most, as far as I know, use Viscaria or similar (TB ALC etc). And most definitely the greatest majority of top players use Tenergy (usually 05).

I definitely feel that hard sponged chinese rubber works best with Koto outer ply from my own personal experience.

Note that Koto isn't really that hard a wood by the way. There are way harder woods on the janka scale used in blades.
Also note that when you say cypress/limba/koto it's really random because within these names there is a ton of variation. Limba can be around 450 'hardness' on the janka scale or it can be 700. You can't really tell what exact wood manufacturers use because they generally don't tell you where they source their woods.

2) It's totally the blade characteristics, including even the type of glue used and the method of pressing the layers together. Different manufacturers use different presses and even that can affect the characteristics of the blade.

I can't confirm this personally but I've read on the forums that a butterfly craftsman explained that the reason the Liu Shiwen ZLF is notably faster than the Innerforce ZLF (which share the same materials and design) is that the method of gluing the layers.

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2018 at 7:16pm
Chinese play with limba for FH oriented, and koto for BH oriented.

Europeans love koto (a few limba), whereas Japan and Korea love limba/inner ALC

It's a game of preference, there is NO OPTIMAL outer wood as a baseline
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
anjan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 2:37am
Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

2) It's totally the blade characteristics, including even the type of glue used and the method of pressing the layers together. Different manufacturers use different presses and even that can affect the characteristics of the blade.

+1

anjan
anjan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 2:41am
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Chinese play with limba for FH oriented, and koto for BH oriented.

Europeans love koto (a few limba), whereas Japan and Korea love limba/inner ALC

It's a game of preference, there is NO OPTIMAL outer wood as a baseline

so hinoki losing the race??
is there any top ranked player playing with hinoki these days?

Edited by anjan - 06/06/2018 at 2:43am
anjan
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 6:12am
I think Aruna plays with his Aruna Off which is 5+2 Hinoki
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic