FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

World’s best Push blocking setup?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World’s best Push blocking setup?
    Posted: 10/17/2018 at 8:46am
Took a 1yr+ break from table tennis, coming back now and hoping to try a new squirrelly style. After watching some cool pushblocker videos, I’d like to try this style with backhand push blocking and forehand smashing/looping. Wanted to call upon our collective brains to think of the world’s best push blocking setup!

Is it no sponge long pips? Long pips with sponge? Anti?
Sponsored Links

kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 9:00am
Defplay senso, xiying 979 OX red on backhand, Butterfly Orthodox OX on FH. It is cheap and it works very well wenn you get used to attack with the orthodox, the ball does not come back.
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 9:22am
Well... top rated is amelie solja with frictionless anti

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 11:27am
An amazing combination for sheer speed on the forehand side and dangerous reversal/ease of hit and crisp response from your LP is a stiff soft carbon blade (think Gergely, Yinhe T series, Nittaku Shake Defense) with OX pips on the BH. OX is the most dangerous with highest reversal, but thin sponge 1.0mm or under will help you control the ball trajectory better.

Chinese pips like DHS C8, Double Fish 1615, Palio CK531A, Globe 979 and Bomb Talent all have high reversal but the pips tend to be stiff which aids hitting but you need use a bit more force to bend the pips in order to produce consistent results. Tibhar Grass Dtecs and Andro Chaos are both "tensor" LP, they are dangerous and absorb speed better than chinese pips but are twice, three or four times as expensive. Giant Dragon talon and Spinlord Dornenglanz are nicely priced and popular for blockers but are not as dangerous at hitting compared to CK531A. For control look at Butterfly Feint OX, CTT National Pogo or RITC 755, they are all easy to play with.
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 3:09pm
Here's a few thoughts as I used to play this style:

- For a true "pushblocker" squirrelly style, I agree with IanMcg on Dtecs, Chaos, Talon, and Dornenglanz. I'd recommend OX if you want the most spin reversal. These aren't as great for attacking strokes, but the pushblocker style/strategy doesn't often call for attacking with the LPs. Rather, your LPs set up your attack with your FH smash or loop.

- For max spin reversal and squirrelly balls, blade choice can be tricky. Balsa blades are good for spin reversal when combined with anti or low friction LPs as the dwell time is minimal. Balsa is also relatively fast, which can give your opponent issues, but can sometimes be difficult to control with faster LPs like Dtecs. Defplay is a great blade, but requires more active play with LPs as the blade is pretty flexible and has more dwell time. I haven't had much luck with composite blades, but if it works for others then it may be worth trying. OSP makes a really nice combo blade specifically for OX pushblockers...worth checking out.

- You'll want to develop a VERY spinny backspin serve as this is the bread & butter of the pushblocker strategy. So a spinny FH rubber is essential (like H3 or a hard sponge tensor). Here's the basic strategy:

#1 - You serve with heavy backspin.
#2 - Your opponent returns with either a push or a loop.
#3 - If they push the return, then you aggressively push back with your LPs. This will be very deceptive as the spin reversal will give your opponent some degree of topspin (even though it looks like a push). If they push again, then get ready for a nice high ball to smash.
#4 - Or if they chose to loop your serve, then block it off the bounce with your LPs for massive spin reversal and another heavy backspin ball back to your opponent...and that just leads you right back to #2.

The problem with this strategy/style is when more advanced players aren't deceived by the spin reversal, or if your opponent also plays a similar style, or if your opponent plays a low-spin style (like SPs or dead rubber). In that case, the best thing you can do is develop your FH smashing and looping. Don't be a one-trick pony and make sure you've got good offense if your opponent isn't affected by your defense.
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by ndotson ndotson wrote:

The problem with this strategy/style is when more advanced players aren't deceived by the spin reversal, or if your opponent also plays a similar style, or if your opponent plays a low-spin style (like SPs or dead rubber). In that case, the best thing you can do is develop your FH smashing and looping. Don't be a one-trick pony and make sure you've got good offense if your opponent isn't affected by your defense.

I think that's the real advice needed for push-blocking aspirees! It takes a tremendous amount of skill and guile to win by blocking, alone. You need the forehand finisher to keep the opponent honest, and on their toes. If they don't fear you attacking, then they will paddy-cake or gently lob the ball to you until YOU give them a pop up to kill. The simple way to combat this is... slam it down their throats! 

Quite a few high level ones use short pips on the forehand, so you don't really need a super spinny rubber -- so long as it can spin enough to bring enough back spin into the game. The pips are good at smashing pop ups which will occur quite often against the anti/LP. 

If you plan on being more reliant with the backhand side blocking, and don't want to be overly aggressive with it -- I think frictionless anti is a better choice currently. The lower grip makes it easier to block, though harder to hit no spin or top spin balls. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 3:36pm
Wow I did not expect so much good advice so quickly! To clarify, prior to my hiatus, I played two winged attacking looper with a big forehand loop drive. So I’m hoping that adding push blocking as my backhand will help set that up.
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 3:45pm
I played that style when my shoulder was injured.  It was a lot of fun.  Weren't you in Oklahoma before?

Anyway, I have racket set-up for screwing around with this style and it has Dronenglanz on the BH.  It takes some getting used to, but it is a lot of fun.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 6:18pm
I kinda thought your inverted backhand was at least pretty good and getting better.

LP pushblocking, like everything else in TT, is much more about your touch, technique, and strategy than about the "best" rubber.   I think you can do it, but it will take a lot of practice and some serious "taming of the beast-mode".  

Why don't you come back to Okc for a while and I can arrange for Ray P to give you some instruction.  He's been playing really well...

bes
p.s. Dalton did a pretty impressive impersonation of your Cho Dance a week or so ago....
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by bes bes wrote:

LP pushblocking, like everything else in TT, is much more about your touch, technique, and strategy than about the "best" rubber.   
Blasphemy!!!!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by HuLimei HuLimei wrote:

Originally posted by bes bes wrote:

LP pushblocking, like everything else in TT, is much more about your touch, technique, and strategy than about the "best" rubber.   
Blasphemy!!!!

Haha yes, of course technique, practice, and youth help. But when you only play less than <1x/week, you concentrate on other enjoyable parts of playing rather than increasing your meaningless rating or winning tournaments ... like researching and buying equipment and trying out different styles
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2018 at 11:49pm
Blade: Balsa plays very well with pips. The Dr. Neubauer Firewal Plus is used by a lot of dedicated pushblockers. Oversized, light, comes in flared or straight. A bit more than a Defplay, $70 instead of $50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2018 at 4:38pm
I went with Defplay senso V3 and dorenglanz, thanks all!
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2018 at 7:18pm
TSP Blockman II, Dornenglanz, Spinlord Marder.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic