Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ITTF has sanctioned friction tests on pimpled rubb
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ITTF has sanctioned friction tests on pimpled rubb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
purpletiesto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpletiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 10:07am
Let's never let this thread die.
Sponsored Links

pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

If "as authorized" would mean the exact properties that the rubber has when it was authorized, then this would be true as scientifically a rubber continuously degrades. 
However, it is VERY CLEAR what they really mean with "as authorized" as the rules continue "with no treatment", making it clear that "as authorized" refers to "not treated or modified" and not natural wear.
My point is just that if you take "as authorized" literally meaning the exact same properties, the rubber will no longer have the EXACT same properties after a very short time.
Let me go back to a previous example. Let's say a long pips rubber has 55 micro newton friction when brand new. Now. let's say that you play the rubber for one hour and you put it back on the friction machine that you used to get 55 micro newton. I can GUARANTEE you that it will no longer be 55 micro newton.. The difference could be minimal at like 54.4 micro newton but it would no longer be the same. So, if the limit for the rubber is 55 micro newton, a rubber that was used for 1 hour would no longer meet that requirement and be illegal if this is true.
We agree that a treated rubber is no longer "as authorized".  And there's no doubt that the rubber is in constant change; I do not disagree.  Where we disagree is that I'm saying that a rubber, in addition to not having been treated by the consumer, is "as authorized" if it meets the minimum specs. defined by the ITTF.  Now if a manufacturer produces a rubber that has a coefficient of kinetic friction between rubber/ball that is exactly 0.5 (the minimum spec), if I were the consumer, I would be very upset with the manufacturer as one session will probably make it out of spec.  But that's an issue for the manufacturer to solve.  I would imagine the vast majority of rubbers fall well within spec.  When the rubber is submitted to racket control (long after it was authorized), what specifications do they use to determine legality? ... They use the specifications defined in the leaflets... the same specifications they used when the rubber was authorized.
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

We agree that a treated rubber is no longer "as authorized".  And there's no doubt that the rubber is in constant change; I do not disagree.  Where we disagree is that I'm saying that a rubber, in addition to not having been treated by the consumer, is "as authorized" if it meets the minimum specs. defined by the ITTF.  Now if a manufacturer produces a rubber that has a coefficient of kinetic friction between rubber/ball that is exactly 0.5 (the minimum spec), if I were the consumer, I would be very upset with the manufacturer as one session will probably make it out of spec.  But that's an issue for the manufacturer to solve.  I would imagine the vast majority of rubbers fall well within spec.  When the rubber is submitted to racket control (long after it was authorized), what specifications do they use to determine legality? ... They use the specifications defined in the leaflets... the same specifications they used when the rubber was authorized.
If that is what it should mean, then they should put appropriate wording into the rules. It's not there right now. The BoD has CIRCUMVENTED the AGM and they should not. This should follow the proper process outlined in the Bylaws to amend rules.
It is not in any way against the equipment regulations if a rubber has exactly the minimum amount of friction. They are not doing anything against that regulation if it does. If the rules would really cover natural wear, that rubber would become illegal the moment it is played. I'm certain that this is not what the rules mean. Of course, that's what the BoD wants it to mean. 
The entire issue is, as I pointed out, that the proper process to amend the rules has been circumvented by the BoD and it should not. The AGM should have a say in things like that.. As I said, I won't have any complaints if this is brought up and passes a vote at the AGM with the needed 2/3 majority.
It's like President Trump issuing an executive order to remove all undocumented immigrants. Well, they are here and they don't have any documentation and therefore we deport them all. Imagine the public outcry if he would do that. However, if the targeted group of such circumvention of the rules are long pips blockers, nobody seems to give a flying f.

Edited by Pushblocker - 07/25/2019 at 12:17pm
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 1:28pm
If they are going down this path, what is to stop them from changing the rules every year?  Much like what they did with the tuner/boosters.  Tightening the rules until they get the desired results?  Then it becomes a issue of how much are we willing to pay for the equipment to certify and people to test things at local tournaments.  I think I see a business opportunity here, Racket Control Services for $$.  Everyone pays!  LOL

If this is going to be a thing, it needs to be applied to pips and smooth surfaces alike.  Don't try to address one side of the coin and not the other.  This doesn't affect me one way or the other, but I'd like it to be fair to all players, and not just target one minority of our membership.  Disapprove

Each rubber will have to have specifications for friction, Mark V, Hurricane, Tenergy, Super Anti, Feint Long II, all of them.  Oh and the test procedure must be specified for each rubber type.  Just mail out a booklet with the values, both max and min, or how much change is permissible from the standard value.   
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by 1dennistt 1dennistt wrote:

If they are going down this path, what is to stop them from changing the rules every year?  Much like what they did with the tuner/boosters.  Tightening the rules until they get the desired results?  Then it becomes a issue of how much are we willing to pay for the equipment to certify and people to test things at local tournaments.  I think I see a business opportunity here, Racket Control Services for $$.  Everyone pays!  LOL

If this is going to be a thing, it needs to be applied to pips and smooth surfaces alike.  Don't try to address one side of the coin and not the other.  This doesn't affect me one way or the other, but I'd like it to be fair to all players, and not just target one minority of our membership.  Disapprove

Each rubber will have to have specifications for friction, Mark V, Hurricane, Tenergy, Super Anti, Feint Long II, all of them.  Oh and the test procedure must be specified for each rubber type.  Just mail out a booklet with the values, both max and min, or how much change is permissible from the standard value.   

How you would test the friction of a rubber in a humid venue?
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

That's a really good, and somewhat funny, point.  The reason I stopped using Tenergy on the forehand was because it loses its grip so dramatically in humid conditions.  At that point, it's clearly not playing according to its approved characteristics.  Hey, does humid conditions count as treating a rubber?LOL
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

That's a really good, and somewhat funny, point.  The reason I stopped using Tenergy on the forehand was because it loses its grip so dramatically in humid conditions.  At that point, it's clearly not playing according to its approved characteristics.  Hey, does humid conditions count as treating a rubber?LOL

Same reason I stopped using Donic Bluefire M2, the continual effort to keep the grip in humid conditions was just too much after a while.  Now I'll have to come up with another reason why I'm not playing my best.  
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 2:54pm

I agree.  It should be applied equally to pips and smooth alike

Why?  Only specification that matters is the coefficient of kinetic friction, current minimum is set at 0.50.  Most likely that's the number they would test for at racket control if this ever does become a thing.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 3:35pm
Just leave it to ITTF to find another way to screw the Chinese players, if any is even affected at all...  ITTF should just shut down
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

Just leave it to ITTF to find another way to screw the Chinese players, if any is even affected at all...  ITTF should just shut down
Wait! How does this hurt the Chinese players? May impression that frictionless rubbers are far more common in Europe and Russia. I've never even heard of a Chinese pushblocker.

Generally speaking, I always find it strange when people start claiming prejudice against Chinese players in some rule change or another.  In the first place, I have yet to see any rule impacting Chinese players more than their western counterparts.  And, in the second place, I doubt ITTF has any real interest in hurting Chinese play anyway.  

I will grant that ITTF makes many strange and questionable decisions, but I don't think being paranoid about their intentions is helpful.  I'd be more worried about graft, such as the charges against Adam S, the previous president.
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 4:13pm

This is exactly why everyone should be skeptical when someone says it will be easy to do a test. Rubber approval testing is done in a controlled environment.

If someone were to come with an on site test at events, it would have to take temp/humidity, etc into account if you are going to DQ people from prize $$$ paying events. A DQ'd player would certainly have standing to challenge the scientific validity of the test.

It certainly would not be that plastic contraption posted at the beginning of this thread.

BTW, in recent ittf documents about testing for boosters, they stated they need more time to study this. The only machine found so far that might be able to detect boosters cost $100K, is not portable and only is intended for lab use. Even if you did move it, it needs to be calibrated after installation. So ittf is finding out it's not that easy to do real scientific tests. They have to do a lot of work to validate the science just like for voc testing.
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 4:16pm
I still don't understand the ban. You allow something for a long time then ban it ? I understand speed glue cause of health issues but "frictionless" pips ? It made no sense they can't defy physics so what is the advantage ?
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
JediJesseS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJesseS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 5:11pm

It's like President Trump issuing an executive order to remove all undocumented immigrants. [...] Imagine the public outcry if he would do that. However, if the targeted group of such circumvention of the rules are long pips blockers, nobody seems to give a flying f.

lol

If I didn't know how deadly serious Pushblocker was about defending his "playstyle" I would assume this was a 100% troll post. Comparing the persecution of immigrants to what I'm sure are the innumerable hardships that long pips blockers face, amazing.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

I still don't understand the ban. You allow something for a long time then ban it ? I understand speed glue cause of health issues but "frictionless" pips ? It made no sense they can't defy physics so what is the advantage ?
Nothing has been banned.  There is just speculation that the ITTF might start testing for friction to meet the minimum coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.50 that has been in the ITTF T4 Technical Leaflet for years (though I don't know how many years... perhaps someone with a good historical knowledge could respond).
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 5:53pm
I was referring to when they banned frictionless pips like Super Block. I didn't see the point nor do I see the point of testing friction during a tournament to see if they are worn past some limit . 
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpletiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 7:11pm

If that is what it should mean, then they should put appropriate wording into the rules. It's not there right now. The BoD has CIRCUMVENTED the AGM and they should not. This should follow the proper process outlined in the Bylaws to amend rules.
It is not in any way against the equipment regulations if a rubber has exactly the minimum amount of friction. They are not doing anything against that regulation if it does. If the rules would really cover natural wear, that rubber would become illegal the moment it is played. I'm certain that this is not what the rules mean. Of course, that's what the BoD wants it to mean. 
The entire issue is, as I pointed out, that the proper process to amend the rules has been circumvented by the BoD and it should not. The AGM should have a say in things like that.. As I said, I won't have any complaints if this is brought up and passes a vote at the AGM with the needed 2/3 majority.
It's like President Trump issuing an executive order to remove all undocumented immigrants. Well, they are here and they don't have any documentation and therefore we deport them all. Imagine the public outcry if he would do that. However, if the targeted group of such circumvention of the rules are long pips blockers, nobody seems to give a flying f.

I wonder if they'll need to dry your tears from the rubber before they test it for friction. 
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

I was referring to when they banned frictionless pips like Super Block. I didn't see the point nor do I see the point of testing friction during a tournament to see if they are worn past some limit . 

You can wear a pip on purpose and be outside the limit polishing the tips
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by JediJesseS JediJesseS wrote:

It's like President Trump issuing an executive order to remove all undocumented immigrants. [...] Imagine the public outcry if he would do that. However, if the targeted group of such circumvention of the rules are long pips blockers, nobody seems to give a flying f.

lol

If I didn't know how deadly serious Pushblocker was about defending his "playstyle" I would assume this was a 100% troll post. Comparing the persecution of immigrants to what I'm sure are the innumerable hardships that long pips blockers face, amazing.
of course I was trolling but with the point that everyone should have due process, even long pips users. 

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2019 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

To quote one of my favorite movies: "I love your innocence. Never lose it."
That's a little condescending, don't you think? Ouch

ITTF *never, ever* makes rules with amateurs in mind.  In  this case, the story behind the ban on frictionless pips is well known, and relates to Dr. Neubeur and some high-up person at ITTF.  I'll let someone else provide the details.

When I say 'amateurs in mind', I mean that they were looking at the effect on amateurs, I wasn't implying it was done for their benefit. Yes I've read lots of things about what really went on, and the people influencing the decisions...hard to know who and what to believe, but it was yet another non-transparent decision by the ITTF.Angry
hi all, good to see you as always, what evidence do we have that a big wigs grudge influences the legality of long pips' friction level? who does not like Dr. Naihbawar (that's how I hear his name often)? 
As a general rule, whatever is fine as long we can train for it. What I think ITTF is trying is to limit the surprise effect, to cancel the advantage that tricky material can get over hard work, I see positive in that but I support variety so the game is more complicated and it takes more knowledge to win in average.
The fine line is so blurry and that's why emotions show in the thread. Make it clear what the intentions are and it will be all good. If the goal is to prevent talent to be blocked by tricks and deception and give more chances to an open game where people let it go instead of enjoying a vindicative argument, I say way to go! but (but...but...) finally understanding and beating a pushblocker may also be some sort of a great filter in a tt life and it could open doors to more comprehension?
btw i am still a fan of Joo, his run in 2003 paris and his career after that is so crazy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpletiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2019 at 10:20am

Originally posted by JediJesseS JediJesseS wrote:

lol

of course I was trolling but with the point that everyone should have due process, even long pips users. 

You wrote 'even', but I think you meant 'except'. It's okay, I got you.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2019 at 10:20pm

Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

Wait! How does this hurt the Chinese players? May impression that frictionless rubbers are far more common in Europe and Russia. I've never even heard of a Chinese pushblocker.

Generally speaking, I always find it strange when people start claiming prejudice against Chinese players in some rule change or another.  In the first place, I have yet to see any rule impacting Chinese players more than their western counterparts.  And, in the second place, I doubt ITTF has any real interest in hurting Chinese play anyway.  

I will grant that ITTF makes many strange and questionable decisions, but I don't think being paranoid about their intentions is helpful.  I'd be more worried about graft, such as the charges against Adam S, the previous president.

What I meant is that no Chinese players will be affected by this ban, so it doesn't do any good at all to even impose such a ban when players of other nations will be affected by it, since ITTF's primary goal is to take down the Chinese.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2019 at 9:50am
I emailed the ITTF ([email protected]) to get further clarification on this subject.  Here is the email and response I got:

Subject: Clarification on low friction pimples
Hello,

I am a table tennis enthusiast and wanted clarification on the friction of a pimples out rubber.  In the T4 technical leaflet, it states:

8. Friction for pimples-out The coefficient of kinetic friction between the rubber and a table tennis ball must be at least 0.50. In the test laboratory, a normal force of 50mN is applied.

Also, I see that in the Equipment section under the heading "General Information", a notice reads:

Information for Umpires and Racket Control 4.7.2019: Racket Coverings: "Low friction pimples-out are not ITTF authorized". 

My question is does this apply to pimples out rubbers that have lost friction due to usage, or is this only for factory authorization of a rubber?  Thank you very much.
Response from ITTF:

thanks for your mail and question about the pimple out rubbers. 

In our experience an approved and not after treated pimple out rubber will not loose the friction due to usage under this level. So if you are using approved products
and you take care about your racket (to put the racket into your racket cover) everything should be perfect. 

Best regards

I was somewhat surprised with the response that with regular usage, a pips-out rubber would not go below a cokf of 0.50.  But this does re-affirm for me that the ITTF expects the rubber not to go below that minimum spec. even *after* authorization, which aligns with "as authorized".  So for those that play pips out and take reasonably good care of your rubber you should not have to worry if they do decide to test for friction at a sanctioned tournament.

You can email [email protected] if you have further questions.  It took a couple days for the response.  I was surprised and happy that I even got a response so kudos to the ITTF for that Clap .
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2019 at 2:15pm

I emailed the ITTF ([email protected]) to get further clarification on this subject.  Here is the email and response I got:

Subject: Clarification on low friction pimples
Hello,

I am a table tennis enthusiast and wanted clarification on the friction of a pimples out rubber.  In the T4 technical leaflet, it states:

8. Friction for pimples-out The coefficient of kinetic friction between the rubber and a table tennis ball must be at least 0.50. In the test laboratory, a normal force of 50mN is applied.

Also, I see that in the Equipment section under the heading "General Information", a notice reads:

Information for Umpires and Racket Control 4.7.2019: Racket Coverings: "Low friction pimples-out are not ITTF authorized". 

My question is does this apply to pimples out rubbers that have lost friction due to usage, or is this only for factory authorization of a rubber?  Thank you very much.
Response from ITTF:

thanks for your mail and question about the pimple out rubbers. 

In our experience an approved and not after treated pimple out rubber will not loose the friction due to usage under this level. So if you are using approved products
and you take care about your racket (to put the racket into your racket cover) everything should be perfect. 

Best regards

I was somewhat surprised with the response that with regular usage, a pips-out rubber would not go below a cokf of 0.50.  But this does re-affirm for me that the ITTF expects the rubber not to go below that minimum spec. even *after* authorization, which aligns with "as authorized".  So for those that play pips out and take reasonably good care of your rubber you should not have to worry if they do decide to test for friction at a sanctioned tournament.

You can email [email protected] if you have further questions.  It took a couple days for the response.  I was surprised and happy that I even got a response so kudos to the ITTF for that Clap .
Shows again that the ITTF is making things up. It can be scientifically proven that a rubber can drop below that level. Furthermore, there is no requirement to keep your rubber in a case. There is also "outdoor use" which is not prohibited as per the rules which will cause the rubber to wear faster. Not a single rule in place makes a racket illegal if it has been used for outdoor table tennis. It's not there. Any scientist familiar with the material used will confirm that rubber consistently uses friction and eventually ends up below the required threshold.

kyle90 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyle90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2019 at 2:41pm
ITTF sounding really stupid in their response. You don’t have to be a scientist to experience the phenomena of pips losing friction after even a few hours of play. This seems like a test that was made up to address a nonexistent problem. 
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2019 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by kyle90 kyle90 wrote:

ITTF sounding really stupid in their response. You don’t have to be a scientist to experience the phenomena of pips losing friction after even a few hours of play. This seems like a test that was made up to address a nonexistent problem. 
It's not a question of whether or not it loses friction.  It's a question of does it fall below the minimum 0.50 cokf.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2019 at 3:03pm

Shows again that the ITTF is making things up. It can be scientifically proven that a rubber can drop below that level. Furthermore, there is no requirement to keep your rubber in a case. There is also "outdoor use" which is not prohibited as per the rules which will cause the rubber to wear faster. Not a single rule in place makes a racket illegal if it has been used for outdoor table tennis. It's not there. Any scientist familiar with the material used will confirm that rubber consistently uses friction and eventually ends up below the required threshold.
I don't think the keep your rubber in a case was a requirement; it was more of a suggestion.  And it's a reasonable suggestion.  Generally, people playing tournaments want to keep their equipment in good condition.  

You can play outdoors if you want to and conveniently leave it out in the sun.  There's no rule against that.  But there is a regulation that your rubber must be used as authorized.  And based on the email response I received, it's clear that as authorized means that it must meet a certain level of friction, currently 0.50 cokf.
kyle90 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyle90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2019 at 3:10pm

It's not a question of whether or not it loses friction.  It's a question of does it fall below the minimum 0.50 cokf.

I should have been more clear. If you start out with a rubber that is already right at the limit when tested brand new, that leaves essentially no margin to account for “wear” after use that will result in less friction. 
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2019 at 3:15pm
I have a hard time believing that ANY of LP rubbers I use or have ever used could lose enough friction to be significant enough to be below the standard without a either extreme negligence (leaving your rubber in the car in the Corpus Christi sun over the summer) or a conscious strategy designed to lower the friction. I have played tournaments where my opponents LP looked as so old that Methuselah may have bought them, but frankly I cannot tell a difference.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2019 at 3:20pm

Have you ever played against a 5 year old Sriver or Mark V?? They play like ANTI.. There is no reason why this would only happen to an inverted rubber.. It can happen as well to long pips..

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2019 at 3:22pm

I don't think the keep your rubber in a case was a requirement; it was more of a suggestion.  And it's a reasonable suggestion.  Generally, people playing tournaments want to keep their equipment in good condition.  

You can play outdoors if you want to and conveniently leave it out in the sun.  There's no rule against that.  But there is a regulation that your rubber must be used as authorized.  And based on the email response I received, it's clear that as authorized means that it must meet a certain level of friction, currently 0.50 cokf.
Leaving it in the sun is treatment.. Use is not treatment.. The entire point is that there is no RULE that a rubber can't drop below 0.50.. It's entirely made up. If a rubber must have .050 to be authorized and it's used for 5 hours, it will no longer be 0.50. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that. Obviously, the ITTF has no idea of basic physics.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic