Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cole's Custom Glue Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ttaddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cole's Custom Glue Review
    Posted: 02/16/2007 at 1:54am
          I'm sure most of you know that Cole sells a custom speed glue solution on his site. I haven't seen any reviews on it so I'm going to give it a shot.

I've tried a variety of glue including, Butterfly Fair Chack/Lite, Yasaka Pro Life, and Stiga Energy Glue and the most troublesome thing about these glues is their rate of buildup on the sponge. The first thing I noticed about Cole's glue was its consistency. It's a very thin glue that seems to seep into the sponge much deeper and quicker than commercial glues. The actual stickiness is not as strong as other speed glue so its almost like a booster consisting of the speed glue elements in other glues without the rubber cement that piles up on the sponge.

I mostly play with chinese rubbers (H2, Skyline, 729) but I did have a sheet of Yasaka Mark V to test its effect on softer sponges. The effect on chinese rubbers was really astounding. From the dome of the rubber when the glue is applied to its enhanced flexibility and feel after it is combined with the blade, you can immediately understand the superior quality of the glue. In rallies, the ball rebounds from the rubber (H2 and Skyline 3 in my case) much more quickly but the softer feel of the sponge after gluing compensates for the loss of control from the very strong glue effect. On my softer Yasaka sponge, the glue gives that extra kick of speed that resembles about 2-3 thin layers of Fair Chack Lite (but with 1/2 buildup). I won't elaborate on the generic 'speed glue effect' because all gluers have experienced it, but this particular mix of solvents really magnifies that feel with half of the glue amount. After about 4 hours, I peeled of the rubbers, but I could feel a good glue effect until the last moments of practice so it definitely lasts for at least that long. Also the buildup on the sponge after 2 rounds of ~3 layer application is nothing compared to what you get from a single round of good multi-layer application from stiga/butterfly glues.

For forehand I tried the glue with a H2 and a new sheet of Skyline 3 (with a thin rubber cement layer beforehand). I applied 3 thin layers to those rubbers and for my backhand Mark V, 1 thick layer (the sponge sucks up the glue very fast). My other rubbers were very worn so I couldn't test the glue's performance reliably on them, but I recommend everyone to try this glue. It's half the cost for double the performance and really outdoes any commercial glue I have tried so far.
Sponsored Links

celeronx View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celeronx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2007 at 8:18am
ttaddict: Great review Wink
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2007 at 9:18am
Thanks!  I can thicken the mixture to taste, by the way.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic