Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making Speed Glue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
daniel_ar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel_ar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making Speed Glue
    Posted: 03/10/2007 at 12:12pm
I want to  make my own speed glue, but I dont know what type of solvents is necessary to dissolve it.
Any body could help me? Please

Thanks
Sponsored Links

stephen chung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen chung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2007 at 9:10pm
There are 2 common slovent that the manufacturer use.

1. cyclohexane.

2. heptane.
Blade: Butterfly Custom made 1ply Hinoki 10mm
Rubber: Bryce Hard
testsoft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote testsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2007 at 9:41pm
  Hi every body!

We use tolvene + rubber cement  (3 :1)

Hope this help you.

testsoft
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2007 at 10:01pm
You use 3 parts Toluene to 1 part rubber cement that is like very thin.  Do you have problems sticking your rubber to your blade?
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
daniel_ar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel_ar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2007 at 11:31am
I don`t want to use toluene or benzene I like use other not to dangerous solvent,but is to difficult dissolve the glue and dry it quickly.
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2007 at 7:19pm
Good idea to avoid those two I use cigarette lighter fluid but 40 to 50% and Dlimonene 5 to 10%.  You could also use Best test glue thinner in place of the lighter fluid.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
testsoft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote testsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2007 at 8:54pm
Smile
Hi wfwfist !

Yes I use 3 part tolvene and 1 part rubber cement because my rubber is not brand new and have no problem with the blade.   I glue every day before I play, the tolvene make a very high dome on my rubber. 

Cry  The bad news for me is the tolvene does not be inported any more... and I need to find a substitute asap.

best regard,

testsoft
Markus. L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markus. L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2007 at 12:59am
Originally posted by wfwfitz wfwfitz wrote:

Good idea to avoid those two I use cigarette lighter fluid but 40 to 50% and Dlimonene 5 to 10%.� You could also use Best test glue thinner in place of the lighter fluid.

good to know, i thought the only purpose to use lighter fluid on your sponge was to clean the excess glue build up
Nittaku Acoustic-FL
fh/bh-Almana

BUTTERFLY Timo Boll TriCarbon-FL
fh/bh-Optimum MP

DONIC Waldner Senso Carbon
daniel_ar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel_ar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2007 at 9:45pm
What about Etil Acetate?
Is a good to dissolve the glue
Tks
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2007 at 9:59pm
try tricloroethylene, the glue kim taek soo used to beat wang tao in 1995
Ricardote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricardote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2007 at 10:03am

daniel: toulene, tricholoro-etc, lighter fluid are forbidden now by the ittf. Some people use it. I even thinh that "speen" )a brand from argentina" has some. the best is to use heptane, ethil acetate, cicloexane and d-limonene. the formula is here somewhere in this forum. cole_ely seems to know a lot about this also. I have the solvents at home. by the way, who are you daniel? send me a private message and i can help you more.

phamster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2007 at 12:44pm
so from what i read above, i can mix my best test cement with the bestine thinner, about 50% to 50% mix and creat some awesome speed glue..

anybody use that strong of a ratio or is more 3:2  (cement to solvent)

can't wait to see the dome i am making..

currently i am using the juic pure effect.. the long lasting stuff.. i must say it works nicely...

i have read that true speed glue vs the long lasting stuff is much better.. as true is 100% and long lasting stuff effect is about 60-70% effect..

anybody else go thru what i am going thru? 

phamster
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2007 at 4:04pm
Best test plus heptane (bestine) will not create an awesome speed glue. Basically you just end up with a very thin rubber cement. Heptane softens the sponge but doesn't add a lot of speed, mostly just spin. It works good to soften and spin up harder chinese sponges.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
PongPong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PongPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2007 at 4:07pm
Is it true lighter fuel (Rosonol) is forbidden?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2007 at 4:12pm
Yes, it's called naptha and it's forbidden.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
PongPong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PongPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2007 at 4:23pm
Hi, Cole

What else can we use then?

Thanks!

creeder06 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creeder06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2007 at 4:29pm
oops,, i put some light fluid in a bottle of glue it plays great
if table tennis is to sports, what star wars is to movies, then you must be chewbacca.
phamster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2007 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Best test plus heptane (bestine) will not create an awesome speed glue. Basically you just end up with a very thin rubber cement. Heptane softens the sponge but doesn't add a lot of speed, mostly just spin. It works good to soften and spin up harder chinese sponges.

that might not be a bad thing.. the sheet of torpedo that i ordered recently is too hard..

and this bestine might be the solution to my needs... 

i should have ordered the torpedo soft..

thanks

phamster
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2007 at 7:21pm
Phamster

Are you still using the Gambler Arylate Carbon?

phamster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2007 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

Phamster

Are you still using the Gambler Arylate Carbon?

OH yes.. i love this Gambler blade..  BUT i had to make some basic tuning before i fell in love with this blade...

it came some what still to fast for my likings, i swing too hard, so i need just a tad more flex...

and it was just a hair heavy for me too...it weighed out 87 grams on my calibrated scale.. i work in a quality control dept, so i have access to a high level scale.. and we put a cover over it to keep the air movement from changing the readings of the grams.. down to the one hundreths..

but the blade oem came 87 grams..

so here is what i have done..

made it more flexible.. by shaving the throat down a little bit.. also that allowed me to hold it higher on the blade handle and more comfort too..

and i had tom from zero pong drill out the handle to make it 4-6 grams lighter for over all weight improvement..

tom will do it if you ask him kindly..

plus the weight on the top not changed and the flexible throat, gave this blade a little more kick..

i have used the EEII expander on my rubbers , check out the results..

look at the dome on this sheet of speedy spin premium !!!

so after all of that.. i am loving this blade..

i can hit it hard and still have the loop drop on the table... for a carbon blade... this isn't fast.. but the sweet spot on this blade is much bigger than a non carbon blade..

so i guess it equates to a between all around and off -  blade with a great huge sweet spot !!!

btw the weight of the blade wouldn't be so much if i didn't order a straight handle... the flare is much smaller and the weight is like 7-9 grams lighter.. but i like the huge straight handle..

phamster
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2007 at 8:15pm
I can't recall seeing that much surgery on a blade before.

Drilling the handle seems a good idea, I presume that works on the same principle as the Donic Senso V1 and V2 handles which make the blade quicker.

The change to the throat is larger than I expected to see, but if it works for you, that's what matters.

Like you I too like arylate Carbon blades because of their big sweet spots; great for blocking, power looping, hitting and smashing.

In my case it's the Timo Boll Spirit, Michael Maze and Galaxy K4, which plays just like the TBS.

That's quite a dome on the Speedy Spin Rubber.

Are you using EEII  and then using speed glue when attaching it to the blade? or EEII with normal glue like klebstoff to glue it to the blade?

At the moment I'm using tension rubbers without speed glue and I'm curious how much of a difference EEII makes.
phamster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2007 at 9:03pm
yea.. it is alot of "tuning"...

i am an engineer for a car plant, i guess i like to fiddle with my toys...wink...

as to the speedy spin on the blade,  i had to put 2 good thick layers of fix rubber cement.. best test rubber white cement to get the rubber to stick...

then after on session, i started to use speed glue on it just for fun.. and found it hard to stick on the blade.. so i clamped it for about 1 hour, but the edges still came off..

then the 2nd and 3rd day.. i tried the speed glue thing agian and had success..

but now i just reglued the domed up speedy spin with normal fix it and left it alone with out speed glue... it is too fast as it is anyways... and it is my back hand side so don't really need the speed , just need the blocking and opening loop flip from the slice..or push...

As to the EEII i am still playing around with this on some of my rubbers and some i don't use EEII like my forehand side.. i just speed glue since i can still...

but i guess EEII works like it is advertised... domes up the rubber, but it isn't really a replace ment for the speed glue..

i really dont knowi if there really is a good replacement for the speed glue...

i would say  EEII creates some speed.. and some spin.. if true speed glue creates 100 percent out put... then the EEII creates about 50 - 60 percent..

same with the sound.. you have to hit it harder to hear the click sound..

well that is my experience on this sheet of speedy spin prem...

phamster
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic