FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Shoulder pain =(

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shoulder pain =(
    Posted: 11/30/2007 at 1:27pm
I think I've been too lazy with my footwork lately and have been relying on throwing my arm around when looping. Most of the time I get away with it but against choppers.. ouch.. Feels like a tendon or ligament is about to snap in my right shoulder. I know resting is probably the best way to go right now, but is there anything else I should be doing?
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
Sponsored Links

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2007 at 1:30pm
Acupunture and massage therapy should help.
bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2007 at 1:33pm
Use your legs more when you play table tennis, most of the power comes from your legs and hips and core when from the correct stroke.  Seeing a physio or therapist and ultrasound may help.  What part of the shoulder is hurting?  Also ice for about 20 minutes afterward play.
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
Netherlands '91 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netherlands '91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2007 at 3:11pm
Hm, also do a fix warming up before playing; I have the same problem, but you'll really feel less if you're sweating and your body is more "warmed up"!

Also as others already suggested seeing a doctor or physiotherapist is a good option.

If the pain does not relieve, then I'd suggest some tranquillisers against the pain, but watch out with this, because you can even hurt it more than it already is, as you don't feel your pain senses.

And the last option, as you didn't like it, but it still is just the main thing; primary solution to solve this: REST!
So I would just do important things; like training and matches, but no fun or f**king afterwards. Charge/Burd your shoulder the least as possible!
Ma Lin Carbon
Globe999/Saviga
Inspirit

Donic Opticon
FH: Bryce
FH: Mambo H
BH: Almana Sound
BH: Sriver

BTY VSG Twist III
Stiga Classic All+
Waldner Senso Carbon
2x Sriver G2
HaoFZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaoFZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2007 at 3:25pm
dont play against choppers! ^^

but then u dont really have a choice in competition =P but then u can see it as a way to practice short push on long chops and spiny loops which should take as much from ur shoulders
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2007 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by bull_harrier bull_harrier wrote:

Use your legs more when you play table tennis, most of the power comes from your legs and hips and core when from the correct stroke.  Seeing a physio or therapist and ultrasound may help.  What part of the shoulder is hurting?  Also ice for about 20 minutes afterward play.

One of the problems is that usually you don't have access to ice that fast after the tournament.

Secondly, I found that using your hips/legs too much can cause problems with that area as well - if I am not watching myself there then after a while I get an aching hip which reminds about itself every time I simply bend to pick up a ball...

I was told that after long and exhausting tourneys it is recommended that you do a series of stretch/power exercises in about 2 hours after the end - for about 20-30 mins or so. Allegedly it helps to shorten the period of time when you are trying to recuperate afterwards...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2007 at 4:48pm
thanks guys LOL, yah it's a ligament towards the backside of the deltoids and near the triceps. I'm definitely missing warmup each time and it's pretty cold in the gym where i play. 
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2007 at 9:16pm
Go to Chiropractor then, They can fix everything. But you must stop playing TT for a while until your shoulder recover.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

chinamike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinamike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2007 at 10:22pm
It could be that you have weak rotator cuff muscles... as a result you have an unstable shoulder joint... thus... your rely on your ligaments to keep that puppy in there... what should you do? rotator cuff muscle exercises!!! =)
Butterfly - Joo Se Hyuk FL
BTY - tackifire drive (FH)
BTY - Feint Long II (BH)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2007 at 2:58am
It could be a lot of things.  Rest is the best measure for now, take some time off and maybe do a little light strength training to add some more strenght, hopefully i can offer some good advice for you on that.  Don't waste your time and your money seeing a chiropractor.  If you take time off and then play again and still feel pain, then by all means go see an orthapedic, a chiropractor can't even fix a person's back properly so i wouldn't even want to imagine what they would do to a shoulder.
Clipper CR WRB

patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2007 at 7:13am
you should start by trying to use more forearm and less shoulder,masters of spin video is a good place to start.you can get this on ebay
khoan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khoan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2007 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Go to Chiropractor then, They can fix everything. But you must stop playing TT for a while until your shoulder recover.

physiotherapist you mean
Darker Point Carbon
FH: Palio Macro Era
BH: Palio Macro Era

ktstt.com
manluski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manluski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2007 at 12:34am
hi
i never have problems with my shoulder, it elbow pain that i have. is it bad looping technique does any one have similar problems.
manluski
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2007 at 1:07am
Originally posted by khoan khoan wrote:

Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

physiotherapist you mean
Well Physiotherapist is different with Chiropractor. The treatement is named Chiropractic. It's very popular in US, Korea, Canada.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2007 at 2:17am
here's my 1 cent. i had this problem majorly ... and still living with it... playing and learned to subdue it.

1. this could be rotator cuff or bicipital impingement. if it was a tear you couldn't have played.

2. rest is good but we know how we are.

3. i have taken corticosteroid injections ... they did relieve the pain for several weeks

4. glucosamine+chondritin+msm tablets did help somewhat

5. the most help i got was when i changed the balance of my racquet from top-heavy hollow handle to realitively solid handle. this simple trick that i learned from somewhere in this forum worked miracle!!

best of luck :)
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2007 at 2:18am
oops i forgot to mention i went to physiothreapists also.. they did some deep tissue massage.. and after that i had pains all over instead of one place. ;)

they gave some ribbon exercises... which were not much help either.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2007 at 11:11am
Hi guys,

I just slipped on the floor so badly(my foot went off far far away after I jumped) and I pulled my right hamstring something awful - never was so bad before... that's what you get for making stupid long jumps when you know you are not getting the ball anyway (and I also should have exercised for more than 5-10 minutes before the practice). I can barely walk...  I am out for a few days or for entire week.Cry

phrixion View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrixion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2007 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by shij421 shij421 wrote:

I think I've been too lazy with my footwork lately and have been relying on throwing my arm around when looping. Most of the time I get away with it but against choppers.. ouch.. Feels like a tendon or ligament is about to snap in my right shoulder. I know resting is probably the best way to go right now, but is there anything else I should be doing?

shij, I am not a doctor but have been in competitive sports since I was 13.  It'll take a few days to heal and feel better. A hot bath or hot tub usually helps as well as icing straight away after practice also helps a bit. Stay away from milk or dairy products for about a day after working hard, because it can induce soreness into muscles. I'm sure it is the tendons and ligaments getting taut by overuse of specific muscles if you're not getting immediate pain just from the motion.  Accu pressure and chinese accu massage actually helps alot, as they will follow the ligaments and muscles and relax them.

A well rounded weight workout for the shoulders and arms will be beneficial in balancing out muscle usage and build. And I don't mean you have to try to achieve 3 foot pythons for arms, but get them conditioned even if you start of with a low 20lbs.  There are specific exercises that will help.  This is probably the most beneficial to your arm in the long run.

I use special circuit machines at the gym to strengthen my shoulders, arms and especially my legs/lower body.  Cardio is good too, I began focusing my cardio workouts around real match times so my body and mind can get  conditioned for 35-40 minutes.

I don't think many TT players understand that hitting the gym is an integral part of being a performing athlete, especially if you want that sort of performance out of your body and your arm. Hope this makes sense.
Blade: Whatever is close
Rubber Sheet: Whatever still has some grip.
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2007 at 8:05pm
thanks alot guys for the many advice. I haven't been playing too intensely in the past week and it's definitely feeling better now. Weight training for the shoulders is a great idea, I will add that to my weekly routine! :D
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
IceDefence View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IceDefence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2007 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by phrixion phrixion wrote:

Originally posted by shij421 shij421 wrote:

shij, I am not a doctor but have been in competitive sports since I was 13.  It'll take a few days to heal and feel better. A hot bath or hot tub usually helps as well as icing straight away after practice also helps a bit. Stay away from milk or dairy products for about a day after working hard, because it can induce soreness into muscles. I'm sure it is the tendons and ligaments getting taut by overuse of specific muscles if you're not getting immediate pain just from the motion.  Accu pressure and chinese accu massage actually helps alot, as they will follow the ligaments and muscles and relax them.

A well rounded weight workout for the shoulders and arms will be beneficial in balancing out muscle usage and build. And I don't mean you have to try to achieve 3 foot pythons for arms, but get them conditioned even if you start of with a low 20lbs.  There are specific exercises that will help.  This is probably the most beneficial to your arm in the long run.

I use special circuit machines at the gym to strengthen my shoulders, arms and especially my legs/lower body.  Cardio is good too, I began focusing my cardio workouts around real match times so my body and mind can get  conditioned for 35-40 minutes.

I don't think many TT players understand that hitting the gym is an integral part of being a performing athlete, especially if you want that sort of performance out of your body and your arm. Hope this makes sense.

I second that phrixion

I have been in the gym and with my personal trainer
I have made HUGE and I mean HUGE progress in TT after I began in the gym
DHS PG2-L

FH: Butterfly Tackiness Chop II Red 1.9
BH: Joola Poker Black 1.2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2007 at 1:15am
IceDefense, what does your trainer make you do?
Clipper CR WRB

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2007 at 8:23am
I agree that going to gym is integral - it's just that usually there is no time, and when you have it then one would prefer to spend it playing.

The best would be to somehow do all these wonderful exercises right there in your office or at home (while watching TV or playing with kids)...

phrixion View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrixion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2007 at 10:56am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I agree that going to gym is integral - it's just that usually there is no time, and when you have it then one would prefer to spend it playing.

The best would be to somehow do all these wonderful exercises right there in your office or at home (while watching TV or playing with kids)...

I know what you mean.  I work full time and try to commit myself at least 3-4 times a week. I figured on days I don't work out or practice TT, I want to work out a little so I picked up stuff for the the office and at home but also use these at the gym on cardio/core days.  These are all about $20 each. The medicine ball was $25. I used to not be part of a gym and used these things but I must say, it's difficult to replace a gym.

I use two of these at once for squats. They are mushy so they work your quads, calves and all the muscles in and around the ankle and knees(lower legs), trying to balance on these while doing squats is a great challenge at first.   Just remember to keep those legs shoulder width apart and your squats are squared and legs get to 90 degrees and knees shouldn't come together as you press up. Hamstring should be pushing down as you press up.  Flip it over and it's good for push-ups, plank and other exercises.

Also, I have a 12lbs. medicine ball I use at home in front of the TV when i'm bored.  I use this for abdomen rotation, sit ups, etc..

Finally the strength band. You can flip this on a door knob, bottom of the door, your feet, etc and do bicep exercises, rotator cuff exercises, shoulder pulls, etc.

4. Lastly, a jump rope, if you don't like to run just jump rope for some cardio. 15 minutes a day is good start then it's easy to work up in a couple weeks.

dumbbells are also useful,
Blade: Whatever is close
Rubber Sheet: Whatever still has some grip.
Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2007 at 12:11pm
I am currently having shoulder pain also, and have been seeing a physical therapist.  She gave me a lesson plan on stretching and exercises for the shoulder.  The regiment takes about 20 minutes to do, and involves 1 set of exercise, then stretching, then 2 more sets of exercises, then 2 sets of stretches.  The exercises aim to strengthen the muscles around your shoulder and upper back.  They seem to help.  I've also stopped playing for two weeks to let the shoulder heal.  Also, it's important to not overwork the shoulder while it's healing.  If you continue to play, then play 20 minutes max, and rest 20 minutes before playing again.  You may want to ice the shoulder after playing, or take some NSAID (e.g., ibuprofen) before playing to prevent swelling of the tendons.  If they swell, they get into a vicious cycle where the swelling causes more stress in the tight space there, which in turn causes more swelling.

Good luck with your recovery.
Blade: Stiga Allround Classic
FH: JOOLA Rhyzm 2.0
BH: JOOLA Rhyzm 425 2.0

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic