Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Serving under the tossing arm: Is it Legal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Netherlands '91 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netherlands '91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 8:12am
Well from my experiences:
All body covers, including arm, belly and your back (when your turning, so the ball is behind you; cant explain nvm) are illegal.
The ball has to be tossed 16 centimeters high with a straight hand; without "holding" the ball. It has to lie still.

Anyway I serve illegal myself as well...
Working on it !
Ma Lin Carbon
Globe999/Saviga
Inspirit

Donic Opticon
FH: Bryce
FH: Mambo H
BH: Almana Sound
BH: Sriver

BTY VSG Twist III
Stiga Classic All+
Waldner Senso Carbon
2x Sriver G2
Sponsored Links

takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 10:38am
serving under the tossing arm????

what on earth does that mean?? how can you serve under the TOSSING arm??  that just NOT physically possible!!

you guys have come up with a whole thread on this and you don't even know what this guy is talking about.  he probably doesn't know either...
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 12:18pm

Takaaki,  Maybe you had better know what you are talking about before flaming everyone whose responded to the thread.........and for a little clarification, the reference is about striking the ball underneath the tossing arm without moving the arm out of the way, hence hiding the ball just before contact.  So basicially yes - serving under the tossing arm!

pongcrazy
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 1:50pm
  asking some boys from europe that played wlq, said that they can see the ball a little but they see, but the problem is the masive spin wlq gets
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 2:06pm

how do you know what he meant, since he didn't say it that way!!  maybe YOU should ask him for a little clarification.

anyway, none of the top players currently serve that way, so he, nor anyone else he might know, is imitating serves that you see TODAY.

another thing, i just noticed that the guy who started the thread was TOMMYZAI.  not that i really care, but didn't he give an impassioned speech a month or so ago saying he was leaving the forum or was that just a figment of my imagination????

what happened??  did someone get on their knees and beg him to stay??  if so, i'd love to know who it was, just out of curiosity...  praytell, was it you, crazy??
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 3:05pm
takaaki, I thought my description was clear.

Most of us have two arms:

1. Ball is in the hand of this arm. This is the one that tosses 16+cms high.
2. Racket is in the hand of this arm. You hit ball with it.

Takaaki,
In the interest of fellowship, I've edited this thread.
Come on . . . let's be nice, okay?
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 3:07pm

UH - no praytell, I haven't begged anyone to do anything, so I don't even know where you get that from.  I can see why he would want to quit posting though if he had to deal with multiple versions of you!

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 3:14pm
Not that i wanna jump in here to defend 4 Tzai as Tzai himself probably doesn't need my assistance BUT I can't help but think that u, Takaaki just wanna pick a fight w/some1, outta the blue, in fact....
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 3:21pm
Serving under the tossing arm: Is it Legal?
I guess it is as long as the arm is not blocking site of the ball at any time, which is impossible unless you pull the arm back after tossing.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
phrixion View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrixion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2007 at 1:31pm
services are a touchy subject.  6-inch toss and move the toss arm out of the way during the service is the main rules, but I have two examples of borderline services that usually will not be called by umpires.
--------------------------------
I ran into a jamaican or caribbean player (fun guys too) at a tournament and they have this particular service.  They only do it every few points and it frustrates players who plays them because the services "looks" really illegal and probably borderline.  It's a real low toss towards the racket while the racket is moving forward at the ball...  basically to minimize any time you could figure what was happening with the ball. A fight almost broke out at the US Open after a nasty shouting match between a player/umpire and the jamaican/caribbean coach. Someone finally stepped between them and stop them before fists flew.  I was sitting right next to them as the confrontation almost got out of hand. They eventually called an umpire to watch the game and the ump didn't call what we all were seeing (there was 3 people in RRs and a bunch of us watching) as an illegal service about every 3 points. So it happens I learned a lesson here...

There are trick services that are borderline illegal and won't be called, so use them!
---------

On a more innocent note,  there's a young player who is making her way up and she began practicing a backhand under spin service.  Problem was she would only toss up the ball abut 1-2 inches (when she did toss).  The trick service here is to let the ball fall on the paddle rather than give the ball a toss, so basically the so the timing is much quicker than the normal 6-inch toss BH under spin service.

most of the time there was definitely no toss, but it was a really good trick service that would have stumped umpires too.  I had to call her on it once because the ball was not tossed at all but falls 6 inches. I just had to let her know that there needed to be a toss, she was generating great under spin too, which I hadn't seen a few months earlier at another tournament.  Once I figured out what she could and couldn't do with it, I just short pushed it back with just as much spin and stumped her. Her dad/coach made her stop the service because it wasn't working on me.

I would never have been exposed to this kind of trickery if I hadn't started playing a vast difference of competitive players at big tournaments.  Now I know to be prepared for anything and  if I miss the initial toss I move on and watch the contact, spin and speed.  I used to play with a lot of garage players with illegal trick services which I think helped me in the long run too
Blade: Whatever is close
Rubber Sheet: Whatever still has some grip.
kim_taek_soo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim_taek_soo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2007 at 1:56am
On the topic of the tossing arm, I'm sure everyone has seen Samsonov's serve. He still does that thing where he leaves his hand in the way though. It's like he's holding an invisible plate of food, or as if he was just going to catch the ball again, but then he swings at it... I'm confused now. I know about the rules. I call my dad on his illegal serves all the time. But I just watched Samsonov lose to Ma Lin about a week ago, and he didn't get called on his "tossing arm", maybe because he doesn't move it he just leaves it there, and doesn't follow the path of the ball or anything? No idea.
BTY Neutrino R

Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0

My feedback: https://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic92859.html
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2007 at 2:03am
Theres a lot of the bh serve that is barely tossed. 
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2007 at 7:05am
i think cause samsonov is so damn tall, u can clearly see the ball!
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2007 at 10:00am
When you toss the ball high, you can't spin the ball. That is illegal too.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2007 at 9:07pm
Isnt this no serving under tossing arm partly wh Liu Guoliang retired.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
rodewan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2007 at 9:30pm
yep, as i remember, it is.
Pip Master View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2007 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

But, nearly everyone serves this way.
Do the umps just turn a blind eye to this?

basically the pros sort of follow a misinterpretation of the rule. the remove their arm but not immediately after throwing the ball in the air, instead they remove just before hitting the ball, and in the case of some pros like wang liqin it is very borderline.
Blade:Yasaka Gatien Extra 3D

FH: Mendo MP

BH: Sriver EL
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2007 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Isnt this no serving under tossing arm partly wh Liu Guoliang retired.

The rule was put into place mainly because of Liu Guoliang and other players like him.

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2007 at 7:47pm
Samsonov removes his arm before he hits the ball.
And Liu guoliang based most of his game on exploiting the hidden arm technique.
gurovski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gurovski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 11:32am
it is legal
pingpangfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpangfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2008 at 4:14pm

If you really use your arm to block the opponent's site,It is illegal.

I love Pingpong
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2008 at 10:32am
Originally posted by gurovski gurovski wrote:

it is legal
thats bogus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic