Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Corkscrew is a killer, most advance spin? Anyone?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corkscrew is a killer, most advance spin? Anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spindrive@50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spindrive@50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corkscrew is a killer, most advance spin? Anyone?
    Posted: 01/26/2008 at 7:52am
I am confused.

What and how really is a cork screw serve?

Should you look at the following video at:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cork+screw+backhand+serve&search=Search

Wasn't that a (shakehand) backhand side-under-spin serve, in which the ball is being hit from under with the blade's motion coming from the right/left side in relation to the table?

And about this one:

Wasn't that a (penhold) forehand backspin serve,in which the ball is being hit from under with the blade's motion coming from the back in relation to the table?

In Ma Lin's case, the ball's rotation cannot be as stated in the following paragraph, can be?

... "In its purest form, if the label is facing you when the ball is hit, the label will seem to rotate in the center, not moving up, down, left, or right" ...

I think the above statement is true on the first video, don't you think?

So, how really is a cork screw serve is executed?

HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Sponsored Links

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2008 at 8:34am
ok get this clear, for a backspin serve, u r  facing the table, it is hit from ur body to under the ball,

corkscrew, is going from left to right or right to left, if u r look at the ball in terms of standing in front of table.
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2008 at 8:43am
corkspin is just sidespin but on a different axis. So you can still have back cork, top cork.

I'm not sure about how others do corkspin, but what I do is first put the top or backspin, then go under the bottom on the ball in a right to left or left to right motion.

It's probably easier to get on the bottom of the ball with a higher toss.

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2008 at 8:55am
cork usually pops up right?
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

anixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2008 at 12:30pm
Here is the same guy showing it from a different angle. You can see what he does. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDNvp5ZkKT8
Blades:
Xiom Stradivarius - Sriver EL 2.1
Andro Super Core Kinetic OFF+ - Plasma 380 2.0
Stiga Allround Evolution - Palio CJ8000 2.2
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2008 at 12:53pm
I can do a BH corkscrew serve.
If I hit it right I'll ace more than 1/2 the time. Yesterday someone was able to hit through it. BXSTXRD!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2008 at 1:55pm
I usually hit stong backspin on my fh, I sort of serve like guo yue, and on my bh i serve just simple, but heavy left side spin. I like my bh serve the most because i can get the most spin.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
superloop View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2008 at 7:47pm

Spindrive's quote is correct.  The corkscrew serve is neither topspin, backspin, nor sidespin.  It rotates on the forward axis.  This serve is very effective when used with a strong sidespin/backspin forehand serve.  I am a righty and when I serve a sidespin/backspin forehand serve to my righty opponents backhand, they must touch bottom and the right side of the ball to push it back.  When I hit the corkscrew serve, it looks the same as the sidespin/backspin serve.  When they touch the right side of the ball to control what they think is sidespin, the ball rolls right down their paddle into the net. 

Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2008 at 7:51pm
I suppose one way to deal with a pure corkscrew serve would be to flat hit the ball right behind the ball at the center.  Based on superloop's description I just realized my "special sidespin serve" is actually corkscrew.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
superloop View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2008 at 8:49pm

Jeff is correct...

I used to take lessons from a former US Champ that first showed me the corkscrew serve.  He called it "The Unknown Spin".  He was widely known for his great serves.  He told me that at the beginning of a match, he would intentionally serve the corkscrew a few inches higher than the net. The opponent would flat smash it right on the axis of rotation for a clean winner.  After getting his famous serve smashed, he would act all pissed off about it.  After that , he said that his corkscrew serve would be below the level of the net where it should be.  Thinking they figured it out, the opponent would try to smash it everytime and would never hit the table again...pretty tricky.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2008 at 12:22am
You can't just hit through it , it if it is back cork, only regular corkspin.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic