Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Dipping/Tilting the shoulders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Booster Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booster Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dipping/Tilting the shoulders
    Posted: 07/25/2008 at 3:26pm
I've videotaped myself a few times now, and one of the things I've noticed is that I tend to dip my shoulders a little (somewhere between 15-25 degrees) on my forehand loop. 

I've watched some of the pros (either on World Class Strokes or the training videos)  and some have a little dipping, while others are much more straight.  For example, Waldner is/was pretty straight while Kong definitely had some dip.  Persson looks fairly straight, but I think there's just a tad of a dip there.  Anyways, the list could go on...

I'm wondering what is most technically sound?

I've done some thinking on this, and for really low balls (or looping very heavy underspin) I think one can't help but dip/tilt a little especially if the player is tall. 

I guess my question is...Should one strive to keep the shoulders very level, or is a little dip ok?

Any comments are appreciated...
Sponsored Links

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 3:32pm
Rotate the hip if you are doing modern top spin. The shoulder should move only by the consequence of hip move. The classic top spin can be executed without much hip rotation but the forearm movement - my shoulder rotate in such situations.

If you are young and is in good shape, play the modern top spin game. Move Move Move and loop hard.

Halibass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halibass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2008 at 6:50pm
My coach can't get me to dip my right shoulder enough (right handed) on loops against underspin if that helps :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic