Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Galaxy T-4 First Impressions (Compared to T-8)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Galaxy T-4 First Impressions (Compared to T-8)
    Posted: 01/29/2009 at 3:35pm
I got a couple T-4s in a trade with Fatt, so maybe I should call this "Premier Impression de T-4" or something like that. I have had a few hits and can describe it enough to call it a first impression. Someone asked me to compare it to the T-8, which I also use. He has Bryce on one side, so I refer to it a few times. This isn't going to be an all inclusive review, just how the T-4 compared to the T-8, so Galaxy enthusists can stop drooling. There should be enough meat and potatoes in this to keep you from starving though. Before I get into the review, it would be helpful or you all to know that I am below advanced level offensive player who likes to open and finish the point quickly. I strive to open with a slower loop and look to loopdrive/loopkill from there. I tested both T-4 ST handled blades with 40 deg Quattro/JO Coppa Gold and 999 on 35 deg (both sides). The T-4 felt light, like mid 80s in grams. I am accustomed to heavier blades. Most people consider a mid 80s blade with Quatro (among the heaviest rubbers on the planet) way too heavy. I really liked the soft sponged 999 outfit right away. I will have to try the other one out with some of my favorite rubbers before I dismiss the jury. I am aslo accoustomed to FL handles, but the thickness of this ST handle wasn't so bad, I could deal with it OK enough. 

Short disclaimer - This is how I felt about it. It won't necessarily be how YOU feel about it. JKC really likes this blade and does real well with it. Well, that guy could do real well hitting Seemiller grip with a cassette tape plastic cover of Rory Gallagher, so take what I write for what it is worth. 

1) T-8 to T-4 Ping ... T-4 is crazy annoyingly pingy with harder rubbers (even 40 deg Quattro!) and OK with soft sponged rubbers. T-8 is like a Clunk/Ping more muffled. Maybe I get used to it with more time. I never heard a blade so pingy, except maybe a BTY Sardius.

2) T-8 and T-4 Speed ... Both are easily lower to middle OFF + and bouncy/crisp. I wouldn't necessarily say T-8 is faster. They are pretty close. I rate the TBS as middle OFF.

3) T-8 to T-4 vibration ... There isn't a whole lot on either one - both are pretty stiff/bouncy blades. T-4 has some, but it isn't much more than the T-8.

4) Flicks ... both blades worked OK for this if you timed it right.

5) Loops ... Looping close to the table with a tacky, soft sponged rubber is noticeably easier with the T-4 - much higher percentage and WAY better feel. Loopdriving with harder rubbers is VERY fast with both the T-8 and T-4 and both blades are can't miss outstanding at it.

6) Blocking... You put Bryce on even a rec center blade and you have a blocking machine. Both blades block fine with rubbers that excell at blocking (Bryce/42 dg Quattro, maybe even LKT Power and Speed) You could throw a dart at either blade and be fine with Bryce on it.

7) Flex... There isn't much on either blade. They are both stiff blades with a hard feel. Get a Galaxy 986 if you want a flexy looping blade from Galaxy.

8) Chop... don't ask me that question. I don't do that unless I am using an LP combo bat for fun.

9) Pushes ... neither blade is better at it. They are both bouncy. You do better having hard sponged or rubbers with thicker topsheets for the touch shots on either blade.

10) Driving ... Both blades excell in driving the ball. Maybe T-8 counterdrives the ball a bit better, but if you have Bryce, you could counterhit a rocket onto the table using a premade blade, so what does it matter?

11) Tenergy Loops... I don't have the $$$ for Tenergy, but I can spin the crap out of the ball with a lot of Japanese/Chinese/Euro rubbers, as long as there is at least 2.0 mm of sponge. A lot of my loops against players up to USATT 1900 get returned longer than the opponent intended - like past the endline. I do that with ANY blade I use, so big deal T-8 or T-4. (Too bad the rest of my Allround game doesn't get me to USATT 1900.) With the harder sponged rubbers, you become more of a loopdriver or powerlooper using either the T-8 or T-4.

12) Forgiving ... Are you kidding me? Is forgiving a trait of any OFF + blade? No, with blades this fast, you had better hit it right the first time.

I will probably feel different about the T-4 given more time, especially after a few times with the harder rubbers I like, so I will have to add more comments about it later.

Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Sponsored Links

JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2009 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

JKC really likes this blade and does real well with it. Well, that guy could do real well hitting Seemiller grip with a cassette tape plastic cover of Rory Gallagher

Interesting you should say that. About 20 years ago, I did play against a friend at the youth club with a cassette cover (and won). Have you been stalking me?
ibupro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibupro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2009 at 6:00pm
That's great!

I know a guy who plays Seemiller style with a hockey puck.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2009 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Juan King Carlo Juan King Carlo wrote:

JKC really likes this blade and does real well with it. Well, that guy could do real well hitting Seemiller grip with a cassette tape plastic cover of Rory Gallagher.

Interesting you should say that. About 20 years ago, I did play against a friend at the youth club with a cassette cover (and won). Have you been stalking me?

Stalking you? No JKC, I never stepped foot in England Proper, yet. I am not sure if our spy sattellites were developed enough back then to be that effective anyway. I remember you saying somewhere (Perhaps on the greatest and wildest TT forum to ever grace this planet) that you defeated someone with a cassette tape cover. Maybe it was Barbara Streissand. Who kows? You said you didn't remember whose tape it was. I had to throw that cassette tape match comment in there to illustrate your playing level and have a crack at some fun.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2009 at 6:22pm
Hey, having different names on different forums, that is cheating. I thought for a while some nasty evil bloke had come in and whipped the T-4's from under your nose. I was going to PM you and try to console you, but I won't bother now.
mwyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2009 at 7:08pm
Great impressions, very interesting indeed!
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2009 at 7:26pm
Bh-man

Barbara Streisand? come on, give JKC more musical sense than that.

It's got to be Rory Gallagher. By the way did you ever see him live? he was a great live act.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2009 at 1:55am
Hey Peter, I said that only to provoke JKC into making another post. I WISH I had seen Rory live. I was hard pressed to think of someone from the cassette era from over that way Rory seemed the best fit for a prospecting gent in those days. Hey, Speedplay, Hookshot, and a few others figured out my screen name a year ago. Its not like a national secret or anything I was trying to hide. I still write in the same manner about the same stuff.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2009 at 3:32am
secret of your screen name? what is it?
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2009 at 5:23am
Secret of Screen Name? There really isn't any. I used to play TT with mostly BH attacking strokes, so I called myself here BH-Man. I am called another name on the other TT forums. I am not standing on the table doing jumping jacks saying who I am, but I don't hide my posting style, prefered posting topics, habits, friends or any of the like. About the only thing I haven't done is post a vid here, but that isn't really done here that often, so I didn't choose to blaze that trail here. Some people had a pretty good idea what my name on the other forums was before I made 10 posts here. All the smack talk to Speedplay about buying a Volvo from the factory and visiting him to crush him in a knockup made it real obvious. I make a guess that you are Franco American Tennis de Table or something like that. I never saw you, but I would venture to say you did NOT select your name due to obiesity. Your Animated Avatar certainly rocks.
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2009 at 6:05am
I think I know who you are.. I think you are the guy who switch for SH, J-Pen, and C-Pen Big%20smile
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2009 at 7:47pm
Dragon kid, I'm sure you got it wrong=)

This dude plays his game with military discipline, so changing his grip would not be an option for him.

If he cares to come here, I would gladly wipe the floor with him, then drink a couple of beers with him, telling him how great his game was, otherwise I might get my sorry a** whipped in the UFC way and I don't like that.

I'm surprised that people haven't realised who he is...
The holy grail
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2009 at 9:45pm
Ouh thanks Speedy..
Now i know.. they both from the states though..
thanks man.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2009 at 11:34pm

Secret of Screen Name? There really isn't any. I used to play TT with mostly BH attacking strokes, so I called myself here BH-Man. I am called another name on the other TT forums. I am not standing on the table doing jumping jacks saying who I am, but I don't hide my posting style, prefered posting topics, habits, friends or any of the like. About the only thing I haven't done is post a vid here, but that isn't really done here that often, so I didn't choose to blaze that trail here. Some people had a pretty good idea what my name on the other forums was before I made 10 posts here. All the smack talk to Speedplay about buying a Volvo from the factory and visiting him to crush him in a knockup made it real obvious. I make a guess that you are Franco American Tennis de Table or something like that. I never saw you, but I would venture to say you did NOT select your name due to obiesity. Your Animated Avatar certainly rocks.

I asked because you wrote earlier "Hey, Speedplay, Hookshot, and a few others figured out my screen name a year ago. Its not like a national secret..." so I was just curious.
Yes my screen name is related to obesity. fat and tt = fatt; i took 40 pounds in 3 years and it made my footwork worst. I choose that screen name to remind me of the work to do to get back in shape. However i still play at the same level because my serves and general tactics got much better thanks to practice in the garage (new reverse pendulum both under and side top spin; fast or slow dead, new underspin looking like dead ) while both fh and bh loops are much more stable as I do not go systematically for gold like before. Also I moved closer to the table.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2009 at 2:55am
Fatt, I am cool with you any day of the week. I didn't like the T-8 with a soft sponge rubber all that much, but the T-4 seems to work with them just fine.

Speedplay overstates it just a little. I do not resemble Chuck Norris at all, although I would like my chances vs Speedplay in a UFC matchup. Chuck Norris wears Speedplay underoos. The only thing near military about my TT game is that I mostly attack.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2009 at 3:13am
And I think your FH is not that bad, is just a bit 'flat'. Not in a negative way, you can hit flat on your FH, just it will be hard to hit trough back spin..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2009 at 5:08am
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

I think I know who you are.. I think you are the guy who switch for SH, J-Pen, and C-Pen Big%20smile

Uhh... Maybe you are considering another player. I don't remember ever hitting with a J-Pen, only tried out once serving C-Pen grip, and used SH FL blades pretty much every time, except these T-4 ST handled SH blades. I hope my powerloops look flat - at least flat in trajectory. I like really low throw rubbers and love looping agianst bottomspin. I am only now getting more confident looping against incoming topspin shots. Usually, I would counterdrive or block hard against an incoming loop.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2009 at 5:23am
I only found out who BH-Man is when I saw this review on other forums. That could be somewhere to try if you are still not sure.Wink
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2009 at 6:04am
I could change my signature to "Cover's Blown - Mission Over". Wait a minute. That might confuse some people even more. There never really was a cover. I just decided to name myself BH-Man here and posted pretty much the same way and talk the same about the same things. I don't post as much here as there is less coaching, concepts/theory/strategy, player development/support, and the like here as compared to places like DTTW, Affordable, and OOAK forums. (Not MyTT is bad forum. I wouldn't post here if it was) A lot, not all, but a lot, of the stuff here is equipment F/S or equipment review. I had been having the same discussions with Hookshot, Bogeyhunter, LildudeJDS, Speedplay, Haggisv and others. Those interested in the research you suggest might have to come accross Rob and Haggisv's great forums though. Tongue

I started this thread out of two reasons. 1) Fatt asked me to post a review of the T-4s sometime after I got them, and 2) a forum member here PM'd me and asked me to compare the T-4 to the T-8. I should have PM'd debraj first to see if it was OK to use the his comparison criteria in my review. I took the initiative to post it anyway thinking my opinion of the T-4 vs T-8 was something debraj and a lot of others would be interested in. Glad I was right, but I still should have PM'd debraj first to ask. Would have become ugly if I was wrong.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2009 at 6:42am
Well enjoy your holiday back in the states mate ;)
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2009 at 3:05pm
I wish I was on vacation in the States near some TT right about now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic