Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sandpaper Table tennis!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 11:45am
Pablogilberto,
     Well said.Smile
Sponsored Links

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Lutareio Lutareio wrote:

They are good.But what's the point of playing with sandpaper? Using normal rubbers is way funner! I hate people who are old-fashioned. By the way, does the sandpaper scratch the ball?

What's the point of playing with rubber?  BTW, what's "normal" rubber.

There are what - something close to 1000 different rubber sheets that are legal in the "normal" table tennis world?  Now if you add sponge variations, that probably doubles or triples.  That's one of the first clues as to why to play with sandpaper.  The outcome of the game is much less dependent on the qualities of the racket or on your opponents ability to read the spin and possibly track the behavior of two different playing surfaces.

The modern game, classic hardbat, and liha all offer different forms of table tennis.  I find all three forms interesting.  I play classic hardbat and the modern game.  I can't say that the modern game is more fun than classic hardbat - but they are somewhat different.  I haven't played Liha, but I do have a sandpaper racket in my bag ... just in case.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 1:32am
the point in playing sandpaper table tennis? its one of the table tennis roots and they want to preserve it!
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 2:59am
So how long does the ball last - It must get chewed up by the sandpaper.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by pingpongrob pingpongrob wrote:

So how long does the ball last - It must get chewed up by the sandpaper.

I was wondering about that, too. It's obvious they can generate some spin so the ball keeps getting rubbed by the sandpaper. That can't be good for the ball.
Nutriment6464 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 3:04pm
Wow looks cool! Hey yogi_bear, my mother is from philippines and she told me that "ping pong" is very popular in her ex country, do you think she meant liha or table tennis? I tried to ask her but I think she never was a big fan of it, so she don't see difference between the two :). Is table tennis(rubber paddle) popular in philippines?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2009 at 8:40pm
nutriment, actually its not as popular as basketball but a lot of people play that here. the ones who use sandpapers are the older ones from the 50's. we used to have a president who plays table tennis (sandpaper) in the 50's and he popularized sandpaper table tennis.

rob, yup i pity the ball thats why they have to change from time to time. they are using the 38 mm ball though because its much better with sandpaper and that's what older folks were used to before
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
awan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2009 at 10:15am
yogi ------first of all thanks for bringing out again this philippine ' liha'  issue
that  we filipinos must   be proud of
 that we  are the only remaing race on this planet that  are able  to preserve this art of vintage playing.
and  has even "refined" it to the highest standard of  vintage table tennis playing

after seeing this video, champions abroad who understand  indepth table tennis  abroad admits  and appreciates who we are !

see:

(4th paragraph)

allow me to slowy  answer some of the questions here. Smile

awan

the liha player and promoter
awan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2009 at 11:12am

SEE

watch this latest liha video made in the states. they are catching up !!

liha is fun !---------- watch peoples faces , IT HAS AUDIENCE APPEAL

try liha against liha  - you will sweat, WET  more t shirts without too much strain on your hand - therefore ---fitness ( EVERYBODY WILL ADMIT HERE )

THEREFORE : FUN AND FITNESS - 2 VERY IMPORTANT ELEMENTS  IN SPORT 

SENSE

its NOT  a hi tech -"spin war"  leaning  mostly on "equiptment war"

BUT  ON THE OTHER VIDEOS SEE HOW FILIPINOS  CAN "COUNTER ATTACK " JUST  SIMPLY  USING  'FRICTIONLESS'  RACKETS SUCH AS 'LIHA '- ITS LIKE  PLAYING------ 'CATCH ME IF YOU CAN '  IN  ICE SKATING - VERY SLIPPERY

awan

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2011 at 5:47pm
Here is finally the sandpaper match between Trevor Runyan (USA) and Maxim Shmyrev (RUS) - Maxim won the ICPP Classic tournament and said later that this was the hardest and closest match of the event for him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-hlWHYs_4k&feature=player_embedded
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2011 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Here is finally the sandpaper match between Trevor Runyan (USA) and Maxim Shmyrev (RUS) - Maxim won the ICPP Classic tournament and said later that this was the hardest and closest match of the event for him

See. You don't need long rallies to have an entertaining match.
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2011 at 6:43pm

Just some quick background

that russian guy practiced all of 3 weeks prior to this tournament. The other players (Applegren, China, Japan etc) did not even practice. Those world class guys, with 1 month of practice will be as they are now, untouchable except by another player at thier level.
Speed glue, booster, tuner free since 2006!!!
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2011 at 7:49pm
liha is not frictionless, is it?
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2011 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by figgie figgie wrote:

Just some quick background

that russian guy practiced all of 3 weeks prior to this tournament. The other players (Applegren, China, Japan etc) did not even practice. Those world class guys, with 1 month of practice will be as they are now, untouchable except by another player at thier level.

That is true - I was told that Maxim simply had a bit of free time, and he was interested to see if he could really master the sandpaper racket quick enough. I am sure that Appelgren or Martinez or some others could get to the same level or higher if they spent some time and effort on it.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
ttEDGE - William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2011 at 9:22pm
Maxim and Trevor were the two standout players at the tournament IMO and it was a shame that they drawn in the first match. I did quite a bit of practice with Trevor at the event and was amazed by his skills with the sandpaper racket. He is quite used to playing with hardbats wheras it was completely new for most of the guys at the event.

The rackets we were using in Vegas were very fast, thick carbon blades with coarse sandpaper on top. Extremely hard to control and do too much with the ball. I think everyone agreed in the end that the rackets would be modified for the next event. By the way, the balls got chewed up quickly by the sandpaper and often broke due to the hardness of the blades.

I am very impressed by those liha guys. They've got skills!

Edited by ttEDGE - William - 02/25/2011 at 9:24pm
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2011 at 4:09am
Russians have a good word for it - Lihach. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic