Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Who actually likes water glue?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Who actually likes water glue?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [55.56%]
20 [44.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2009 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by pingpongrob pingpongrob wrote:

Originally posted by hungga hungga wrote:

If the water based glue ruins the blade then perhaps one have a strong case of making the manufacturer/dealer replace it with a new one, every time it happens. Tough luck I think.
It is More likely that the Water based glue is Fine. Most manufacters want you to seal their blades, and infact some manufacturers have then factory sealed for safety.

In this case I belive it was the blade that was faulty - This is not uncommon, as most sellers would agree.

More likely, and a better explanation, is that the water screwed up the wood. 

Blade manufacturers are notoriously weak at quality control, but adding water to the mix really worsens the chances of having a good blade after a couple of changes of rubber.
Sponsored Links

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2009 at 11:09pm

If the water based glue ruins the blade then perhaps one have a strong case of making the manufacturer/dealer replace it with a new one, every time it happens. Tough luck I think.
It is More likely that the Water based glue is Fine. Most manufacters want you to seal their blades, and infact some manufacturers have then factory sealed for safety.In this case I belive it was the blade that was faulty - This is not uncommon, as most sellers would agree.

Sealing is one thing though. Judging from what ITTF did to Kreanga Carbon (KC), the sealing shall not cover the whole surface, acting as another layer above the wood surface.

Then we want so much to seal the blade to minimize the effect of water/humidity. Logically, it's to cover up the whole surface making it another version of KC plus VOC varnish that will turn ENEZ into a lively circus.

Sealing the blade with water based sealer to protect it from humidity? Sounds retarded or maybe I have yet to learn about the effectiveness/safety of both water based glue and sealant on a wooden blade.

Sealing is not really effective as a water barrier.  Varnish (urethane-based) is a permeable layer through which water can pass.  It only keeps the glue part, especially VOC, from getting into the wood pores.  It does NOT stop the water.  Lacquer is even more permeable than urethane-based varnish.  (Those pesky water rings on counter tops are proof.)

Using water-based sealer on a blade is about as effective as using ether in a fire extinguisher. 

pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2009 at 9:01am
Originally posted by silverhair silverhair wrote:

(Those pesky water rings on counter tops are proof.)

Using water-based sealer on a blade is about as effective as using ether in a fire extinguisher. 

Bet ya those weren't sealed with Top Quality Water Based polyuranthe Varnish. Your so up to date with water based finishes, shows that you really dont know what your talking about. Before you put your foot in it any further have a read of this.

http://www.floodaustralia.net/products/spandeck.htm

This is just one example of the technology found in water based products these days.

And for those of you that actually believed silverhair for a moment, take the time to read, its just one of the examples where a water based polyurathane will protect timber like no other. And No pesky ring either.Wink 
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2009 at 9:45am

(Those pesky water rings on counter tops are proof.)

Bet ya those weren't sealed with Top Quality Water Based polyuranthe Varnish. Your so up to date with water based finishes, shows that you really dont know what your talking about. Before you put your foot in it any further have a read of this.

http://www.floodaustralia.net/products/spandeck.htm

This is just one example of the technology found in water based products these days.

And for those of you that actually believed silverhair for a moment, take the time to read, its just one of the examples where a water based polyurathane will protect timber like no other. And No pesky ring either.Wink 

Which one of us was a paint chemist and which one of us is a clerk in a paint store?

hungga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2009 at 10:55am
Meh. Perhaps I should invest on a 1-ply 10mm. I don't play with this setup but I think it'll be useful for slapping a misinformer.
:: EJ level 1 ::
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2009 at 11:14am

(Those pesky water rings on counter tops are proof.)Using water-based sealer on a blade is about as effective as using ether in a fire extinguisher.�
Bet ya those weren't sealed with Top Quality Water Based polyuranthe Varnish. Your so up to date with water based finishes, shows that you really dont know what your talking about. Before you put your foot in it any further have a read of this.http://www.floodaustralia.net/products/spandeck.htmThis is just one example of the technology found in water based products these days.And for those of you that actually believed silverhair for a moment, take the time to read, its just one of the examples where a water based polyurathane will protect timber like no other. And No pesky ring either.Wink
Which one of us was a paint chemist and which one of us is a clerk in a paint store?

Wow, you should really do your research before you try to insult people

I believe the key word for your statement here is "was", I'm beginning to see why you changed career, from paint chemist to forum jerk.
The holy grail
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2009 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

(Those pesky water rings on counter tops are proof.)Using water-based sealer on a blade is about as effective as using ether in a fire extinguisher. 
Bet ya those weren't sealed with Top Quality Water Based polyuranthe Varnish. Your so up to date with water based finishes, shows that you really dont know what your talking about. Before you put your foot in it any further have a read of this.http://www.floodaustralia.net/products/spandeck.htmThis is just one example of the technology found in water based products these days.And for those of you that actually believed silverhair for a moment, take the time to read, its just one of the examples where a water based polyurathane will protect timber like no other. And No pesky ring either.Wink 

Wow, you should really do your research before you try to insult people

I believe the key word for your statement here is "was", I'm beginning to see why you changed career, from paint chemist to forum jerk.

If by "jerk" you mean keeping people honest, I'll accept that.

If by "jerk" you have a different intent, then ignore my posts. 

There, was that so hard for you to figure out?

Wacko

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2009 at 12:32pm
Who freaking cares wither your blade will be a good coaster for your beer?

I think the reason for sealing a blade is to stop splintering yes?

You can sit here an argue over semantics if you like....all the while your post comes off as many others that go un-moderated and come off as:

Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2009 at 1:34pm
I make blades and have used a variety of adhesives both solvent based and water based. I my experience after making a couple hundred blades, I have noticed that warping occurs occasionally no matter what adhesives are used.
Wood is not completely dimensionally stable. I have also check many of my factory bought blades (was an EJ for years) and found that almost all of them are slightly warped.  If were going to play with wood equipment then there will always be some degree of warping.  I would guess that most players don't check there blades really carefully and play with slightly warped blades, but it probably has no effect on there play.

If I make some one a blade and it warps I will replace it. If they keep it in the trunk of there car for months, warping is not my fault. It seems to me that we can not expect our equipment to meet absolutes. We live in a real world where we can only have reasonable expectations for our equipment. I would be shocked to find out that waterbased paints and adhesives significantly damage blades when used carefully in moderation, because in my experience they have not. 

I don't know who's got the truth in this topic, but I know that blades warp for all kinds of reasons and a thin waterbased sealing layer is not a major contributor.

Just my two cents,

Blade

729 FX View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 729 FX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2009 at 11:02pm
A lively "debate" on "Who actually likes water glue?".
Thanks for an insightful comment, blade.
Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2009 at 3:10am
I don't play tournaments, so I just stick with good ole rubber cement. I put it on my rubbers once and air it out, then apply it to the wood let it dry and press it on.  Once the rubber has a coat of it you only need to put a very thin layer on the wood for any re-adhering. I still think it's the best.

From what I read the water based stuff seems inconsistent, but I don't really know, I experimented with a few glues with poor results. It does amaze me that the manufacturers can make such a profit on the glues!

Let's see, since this is a forum am I supposed to insult somebody now? Or is it okay just to say what I think and leave it at that?
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2009 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Blade Blade wrote:

I don't play tournaments, so I just stick with good ole rubber cement. I put it on my rubbers once and air it out, then apply it to the wood let it dry and press it on.� Once the rubber has a coat of it you only need to put a very thin layer on the wood for any re-adhering. I still think it's the best. From what I read the water based stuff seems inconsistent, but I don't really know, I experimented with a few glues with poor results. It does amaze me that the manufacturers can make such a profit on the glues!Let's see, since this is a forum am I supposed to insult somebody now? Or is it okay just to say what I think and leave it at that?

Nope, you have to insult somebody before you click the "post reply" button, otherwise you will be looked upon as a forum noob. Now, by making this statement, that you are a forum noob, I'm done with my insults!

Nice to read your thoughts about the matter! Do you only make blades for private use, or do you sell blades as well?
The holy grail
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2009 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Lazy by choice...

For the rest of us, its a matter of just using your own signature.

Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2009 at 2:04am
Yeah, I do sell blades, but I have a full time job plus kids so my turn around is usually about two weeks (to make the blade). I don't really make a profit because it's labor intensive and I try to keep my prices reasonable. It's like a self paying hobby.

I'd try to insult you, but  I noticed you step into it a lot all by yourself  , so it looks like you're better at it than I am. Shocked
I read quite a bit here, but I don't post too often.Wink

Nope, you have to insult somebody before you click the "post reply" button, otherwise you will be looked upon as a forum noob. Now, by making this statement, that you are a forum noob, I'm done with my insults!

Nice to read your thoughts about the matter! Do you only make blades for private use, or do you sell blades as well?[/QUOTE]
Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2009 at 2:07am
Oh no! I messed up that quoting thing in my last post. Noob is as noob does!
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2009 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Blade Blade wrote:

Oh no! I messed up that quoting thing in my last post. Noob is as noob does!

ROFL! Yes, you said it your self

Well, I do try to be rude against my self every now and then, unlike some of the other low level players here, I'm very well aware of my low level.

Do you have a site where you sell your blades from? I do have a blade that I love at the moment, so I'm not in the market to buy something, but I would be interested to look at the blades you make.

@Silverhair, I did consider insulting you, but I was to lazy to come up with something snappy enough...
The holy grail
Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2009 at 8:23pm
I've done everything by word of mouth, but I can take some photos of the blades I have in my bag and post them or attach a photo to a PM (if that's possible). It may take me a while though.

I have read this forum pretty regularly and also DTT, so I am pretty familiar with some of the epic disputes and some of the regular posters. However, I only post if I find a topic really compelling or if I think I have something valuable to say. If everyone was like me the forums would be more polite and respectful, but perhaps pretty boring.

I'm too far off topic here, sorry. No I don't like the waterbased glues that sell for like a %1000 mark up (not intended to be factual). Plus as is apparent from this thread, they warp peoples attitudes towards each other and their senses of humor!Smile

How's that speedplay am I doing better?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic