Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Techniques for playing with Chinese Rubber..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
malong1 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malong1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Techniques for playing with Chinese Rubber..
    Posted: 03/16/2011 at 12:15pm
Hey guys,

I recently switched to Chinese rubber after playing Euro rubber for pretty much all my table tennis life. I started with some cheap Chinese and then just used Euro.

So after I've gotten better, I'm trying Chinese rubber, but I'm having some difficulty adjusting.

Please, can you offer any tips/tricks/techiniques for playing with Chinese rubber that is relatively tacky?

Thanks in advance!  Smile
Sponsored Links

ckm423 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckm423 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2011 at 12:19pm
2 cents from my 10+ year experience.

1. tune your rubber with 1 to 2 layers of paraffin oil.
2. get a chinese coach
3. practice

Edited by ckm423 - 03/16/2011 at 12:19pm
Yasaka Extra
FH: DHS Neo Skyline 2
BH: Donic Acuda S2 2.0mm
USATT:1876
My Feedback!

TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2011 at 12:22pm
I don't tune my Chinese rubber or have a coach, but I still work well with it. One thing you'll have to learn to do is to brush loop or you won't get much spin out of it. You will need to use some power to get the most out of it since Chinese rubbers tend to suit a power looping style.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
ckm423 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckm423 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2011 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by TheRobot99 TheRobot99 wrote:

I don't tune my Chinese rubber or have a coach, but I still work well with it. One thing you'll have to learn to do is to brush loop or you won't get much spin out of it. You will need to use some power to get the most out of it since Chinese rubbers tend to suit a power looping style.

Where did you learn your brush loop from? Big smile
Yasaka Extra
My Feedback!

hclnnkhg View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hclnnkhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2011 at 12:58pm
Remember to actively brush the ball if you're pushing or blocking, otherwise you may get seriously affected by the incoming spin.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2011 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by ckm423 ckm423 wrote:

Originally posted by TheRobot99 TheRobot99 wrote:

Where did you learn your brush loop from? Big smile
I blame all of my table tennis knowledge on too much YouTube and too much browsing this forum. LOLBig smileWinkTongue

PTTC VP - 2011-12
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2011 at 1:41pm
i think in most cases...
1.  since you do not have catapult effect to work with anymore so you need more forward motion to put speed on it!! on loops and shortgame... 
2. the tack will cause it to react to spin alot more...
3. the sponge is hard so you need to put more power into your shots also more forward motion so the ball can sink into the sponge... notice rarely does any chinese pro have a compact stroke

ideally you should hit hard to let the tack grab the ball so it can sink into the hard sponge then it is much more powerful then european rubbers IMO....

also another pro side of chinese rubber is because of the hardness of the sponge it gives me more gears easier then euro rubbers IMO...
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2011 at 1:59pm
Which is why my short game got worlds better after switching from Express 2 to H2 Neo.

PTTC VP - 2011-12
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2011 at 4:21pm

2. get a chinese coach
3. practice

Telling a guy who is having trouble adjusting to "tune"? Confused
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
malong1 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malong1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2011 at 4:36pm
Thanks all for the help guys!  :)

ckm423 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckm423 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2011 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Sallom89 Sallom89 wrote:

2. get a chinese coach
3. practice

tunning chinese rubber makes it easier to play and improve the "dead" feel.... also it makes it better at blocking and looping.
Yasaka Extra
My Feedback!

bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2011 at 4:58pm

2 cents from my 10+ year experience.1. tune your rubber with 1 to 2 layers of paraffin oil. 2. get a chinese coach3. practice

tunning chinese rubber makes it easier to play and improve the "dead" feel.... also it makes it better at blocking and looping.

Will this work with new Chinese rubber as well? I like my H3 NEO but it annoys me that I had to use it for about week before it starts playing better.
ckm423 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckm423 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2011 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by bonggoy bonggoy wrote:

2 cents from my 10+ year experience.1. tune your rubber with 1 to 2 layers of paraffin oil. 2. get a chinese coach3. practice

Will this work with new Chinese rubber as well? I like my H3 NEO but it annoys me that I had to use it for about week before it starts playing better.

Yes, definitely, but before you tune the rubber, peel off the thin glue layer on the sponge that comes with the Neo rubber. put 1-2 layer paraffin oil on the sponge (i use 38 or 39 degree sponge), let it dry for 1-2 days. Some people use Joola Expander before the oil for longer lasting effect.

That's how I tune my Provincial H3, it plays so much better than the "stock" tunning effect. it generates more spin and gives more control.

Yasaka Extra
My Feedback!

vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2011 at 11:57am
By tuning with paraffin oil, you are making the sponge softer... and this to some extent defeats the point of playing with Chinese rubber. You may tune H3 Neos to reduce the break-in time with some of the Haifu tuners but I will advice against oil tuning if you REALLY wish to learn to power-loop, the way high-ranking Chinese players do.
(1) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - BTY T05
(2) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - DHS H3 Neo Provincial
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2011 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

i think in most cases...
1.  since you do not have catapult effect to work with anymore so you need more forward motion to put speed on it!! on loops and shortgame... 
2. the tack will cause it to react to spin alot more...
3. the sponge is hard so you need to put more power into your shots also more forward motion so the ball can sink into the sponge... notice rarely does any chinese pro have a compact stroke
ideally you should hit hard to let the tack grab the ball so it can sink into the hard sponge then it is much more powerful then european rubbers IMO....
also another pro side of chinese rubber is because of the hardness of the sponge it gives me more gears easier then euro rubbers IMO...

This is probably the best advice in this thread. Key is forward motion. I would also like to add taking the ball off the bounce or top of the bounce. Actually, these two, forward motion + taking the ball early applies to Euro or Chinese rubber.
ckm423 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckm423 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2011 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by vvu.tee vvu.tee wrote:

By tuning with paraffin oil, you are making the sponge softer... and this to some extent defeats the point of playing with Chinese rubber. You may tune H3 Neos to reduce the break-in time with some of the Haifu tuners but I will advice against oil tuning if you REALLY wish to learn to power-loop, the way high-ranking Chinese players do.

from what i heard from the 2600+ players from the Chinese provincial team, pretty much the entire Chinese national team, provincial team members tune their rubbers with some kind of tunning oil or chemical, the purpose is to make the sponge more "lively" . It doesn't defect the point of playing with chinese rubber and effect power looping, IF you know what you are doing.

By the way, not trying to sound like I am pro, but before you give out your comments, would you tell us what level of table tennis you are playing? We definitely need "high-ranking chinese players" to speak for themselves :)
Yasaka Extra
My Feedback!

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2011 at 1:56pm
i tuned my h3 pro 2-3 weeks ago. its as bouncy as my t64 (maybe a lil less) on my TBS blade. the whole point is to make it faster. you can still power loop but its a lot harder if you don't know how. the impact timing is a lot less so you need to swing either really fast and spin the hell out of the ball or do a short brush but quickly.

basically you can still do all the fun stuff of a chinese rubber but it's just a different feel.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

malong1 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malong1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2011 at 3:22pm
Ok, so if I tune my rubber with some sort of booster, the sponge will get softer and increase the overall speed?

How do you know how many coats to use?
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2011 at 4:16pm
preference. usually 3 coats is more than enough. you'll start to feel it coming more springy.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2011 at 4:19pm
I'd start with less, especially on a bare sponge.

Especially if you're using paraffin oil, that stuff adds more speed than spin. I'd recommend just starting with 1 layer on a bare sponge. Even that makes a lot of difference.
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2011 at 5:40pm
its funny how this turned into a tuning thread lol.

Techniques to using chinese rubbers:
- ability to read spin
- power to hit hard
- ability to brush loop
- results will be maximized if you work on FOOTWORK since chinese rubbers are extremely demanding
- DEDICATION
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2011 at 1:07am

By the way, not trying to sound like I am pro, but before you give out your comments, would you tell us what level of table tennis you are playing? We definitely need "high-ranking chinese players" to speak for themselves :)

Somewhere in between 2000 and 2100. Used to be in the borderline for qualifying for the junior national team year-after-year (18+ years ago). Now I have regressed a lot, and I play for the town I live in. BTW, some very good coaches I know are probably around USATT 1800-1900.

You are right, they do tune their rubbers, but not to make the sponge softer, as is the case with paraffin (paraffin vapors expand the sponge in the very short term, and then it becomes 'flabbier') but to make the combo of sponge+top sheet more elastic IMHO.

Edited by vvu.tee - 03/18/2011 at 1:11am
(1) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - BTY T05
(2) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - DHS H3 Neo Provincial
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic