Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pushblocker tutorial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Slimshadiesman69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slimshadiesman69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 6:45am
I'd just like to say that those judging FruitLoop based on the video linked in this thread are being misled. That video was uploaded over two years ago, and at the time he had been playing for just two years. Furthermore, that is a highlight video for Johnbozi more than anything. If he's that good after just two years, think about where he would be now...

FruitLoop is a regular training partner of mine, so if you like I can upload some recent match videos. I am a defender, using long pimples on my backhand. While not very similar to PB's style I'm sure you could get an idea of how he handles such styles.
Sponsored Links

Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 8:51am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Just enjoy your vacation without having to prove anything to this guy, PB.  Yet another pretender who's acting beyond his skill.  You can't challenge them all.  Wink
I like challenges unless you challenge me as I know that you'll kick my butt  LOL

2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 8:56am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

After watching the video, my estimate of that guy is also around 2100 +/- 50 (USATT).
That is 2050 to 2150.

PB's disadvantage is that so many PB's videos are out there, the guy can study them to find out where is PB's strength and where is PB's weakness and what mistakes PB's opponents made (and try not to make them).

I'm not worried about that. I play the same players over and over again at the club and we have several mid 2000 - 2200 level players that I play on a regular basis.  I win about 80 - 90% of all matches against 2100 players at the club and they have played me for YEARS! Of course, that does not mean that I'll beat every 2100 player. Take Larry Bavly for example. He is a mid 2100 player that will probably beat me most of the time BUT his NATURAL style is a style that works very well against my style.. However, if someone has to play a style that is NOT their natural style, they will not be able to execute it at the level that a player who has that style as their natural style.. For example, if a 2100 player who is a looper will start lobbing against me, he might not lob good enough to beat me while a 2100 player who is a natural lobber would beat me.  Any time that a player has to change their game in order to beat someone, their level goes down as they are not playing the style that they are most comfortable with!

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Slimshadiesman69 Slimshadiesman69 wrote:

I'd just like to say that those judging FruitLoop based on the video linked in this thread are being misled. That video was uploaded over two years ago, and at the time he had been playing for just two years. Furthermore, that is a highlight video for Johnbozi more than anything. If he's that good after just two years, think about where he would be now...

FruitLoop is a regular training partner of mine, so if you like I can upload some recent match videos. I am a defender, using long pimples on my backhand. While not very similar to PB's style I'm sure you could get an idea of how he handles such styles.
Would be interesting to see those videos! As I said, that video was older, so he "might" be a lot better..

Edited by Pushblocker - 05/24/2011 at 9:07am

Slimshadiesman69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slimshadiesman69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

Would be interesting to see those videos! As I said, that video was older, so he "might" be a lot better..

I'll see what I can do these next couple of weeks.
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 10:13am

I'll see what I can do these next couple of weeks.

Are you trying to give away my "advantage"? Wink
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 3:01pm

I'm fairly confident but I do have the record to back it up... In several years of playing, I have a record of extremely rarely losing to anybody much lower rated than myself

Here's the chart of my performance (check the 2nd graphic that shows wins and losses)

In all those years that I've been playing, I only lost 1 match to someone over 200 points lower than me (204 points) and that player was unrated and only got such a low rating because he lost to a underrated player to get his low initial rating.. I only lost 4 matches to anybody over 100 points lower than myself and I've played 100's of matches. So, right now, based on that statistic, the chances of losing to  anybody more than 100 points lower than me are about 1 - 2 %. This means that there is a 98% chance or so that I'll beat someone with a 2146 rating or lower..  Let's say that it's only a 80% chance but I still like my chances..
Did you record your matches against Jiaqi Zheng and Yan Jun Gao at the Cary Cup? I would love to see those matches. It looks like you had close games with both of them.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by sweetstrike sweetstrike wrote:

Did you record your matches against Jiaqi Zheng and Yan Jun Gao at the Cary Cup? I would love to see those matches. It looks like you had close games with both of them.
I did record them but my first 4 matches that I recorded were from a HORRIBLE angle where the player closer to the camera would block most of the view, so they are close to worthless..
The match against Jiaqi was actually pretty interesting while the one against Yan Jun Gao was just sad.. He destroyed me as you'd expect from soneone rated over 350 points above me..

Edited by Pushblocker - 05/24/2011 at 3:14pm

skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 5:12pm
In Cary Cup, you played a 2200 rated player, named Brenda Mum.  If you should have recorded that match, sure would love to watch it.  Thanks.
skip3119
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 10:44pm

In Cary Cup, you played a 2200 rated player, named Brenda Mum.  If you should have recorded that match, sure would love to watch it.  Thanks.

This was one of the 2 matches that I did not record (also didn't record the one against Tong Tong Gong). This was a VERY interesting match.. I didn't record it because she was only "2085" going into the match and I underestimated her. She took a quick 2:0 games lead and it was looking like she was going to kill me 3:0. However, after a strategy change, I turned the thing around and easily won the 3 remaining games.. My strategy change made her miss a few attacks and then she stopped attacking.. I broke her confidence.. I'm certain that if she would've tried to attack again, she would not have lost the last 3 games that easily. I was able to "confuse" her by completely changing my placement and pace. I underestimated her korean penhold backhand in game 1 and 2.. She played AMAZING from the backhand side which is very unusual for penhold players. I WISH that I had that match on video!

Edited by Pushblocker - 05/24/2011 at 10:45pm

skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 11:37pm
Oh my, you sure sweated out.  Brenda Mun went into that tournament with a rating of 2085, but came out of that tournament with a rating of 2236.  She beat two players who were rated higher than you.
skip3119
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2011 at 11:42pm

This was one of the 2 matches that I did not record (also didn't record the one against Tong Tong Gong). This was a VERY interesting match.. I didn't record it because she was only "2085" going into the match and I underestimated her. She took a quick 2:0 games lead and it was looking like she was going to kill me 3:0. However, after a strategy change, I turned the thing around and easily won the 3 remaining games.. My strategy change made her miss a few attacks and then she stopped attacking.. I broke her confidence.. I'm certain that if she would've tried to attack again, she would not have lost the last 3 games that easily. I was able to "confuse" her by completely changing my placement and pace. I underestimated her korean penhold backhand in game 1 and 2.. She played AMAZING from the backhand side which is very unusual for penhold players. I WISH that I had that match on video!

Either your memory of the match is faulty or the scores in the USATT database are wrong. According to the match scores, you won the first 2 games, then she evened up, then you won the fifth.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2011 at 7:14am

Oh my, you sure sweated out.  Brenda Mun went into that tournament with a rating of 2085, but came out of that tournament with a rating of 2236.  She beat two players who were rated higher than you.

Yes, she beat Thor Truelson (about 2295 and John-Mark Wetzler (2318)). I was her worst loss at 2239 rating. She is really good.. I don't know how she got that sub 2100 rating.. Well, if you play in an area with not too manh high rated players, it's difficult to get to a  high rating..

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2011 at 7:23am
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

Either your memory of the match is faulty or the scores in the USATT database are wrong. According to the match scores, you won the first 2 games, then she evened up, then you won the fifth.

The USATT database is wrong on the scores over 50% of the time..  I know for sure that I was behind 2:0 and someone actually posted about that on another forum on the day of the event..
She won something like 11:6 and 11:5 in the first 2 games and then I came back with something like 11:5 11:6 and 11:7. Not sure about the exact scores but every game in that match was won by OVER 3 points. There were no close games. She won game 1 and 2 easily and I won game 3 to 5 easily..
There are so many of my matches over the years who have been reported incorrectly (the scores) but the scores don't matter.. For example, I took a game off Peter Li 11:3 at the 2008 NA TOur Final but the results don't show that.. In 2000, I lost 18:21 21:18 and 18:21 against Barney Reed.. The results only show 18:21 18:21 and don't show the game that I won..  I did beat John-Mark Wetzler 3:1 and not 3:2 as in the results.. The game scores were wrong too. I did lose 9:11, 10:12 and 7:11 against Guillermo Munoz, but the scores show 7:11. 6:11 4:11.. (I do have the match on video, so I know for a FACT).

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2011 at 5:29pm
I don't get all the hate for pushblocker, if you're gonna hate on something hate on the U.S. TT scene. It seems like nobody plays pips here, and even fewer play with LPs seriously.  Most people who do play with it seem to use it only as some sort of gimmick for service returns or something rather than seriously using it as a weapon like pushblocker does.  If you go to say China you'd see so many pips players it's not even funny!  It's easy to use LP as a gimmick, it's NOT easy to use it as a weapon like pushblocker does.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2011 at 10:52pm
Our club has half a dozen long-pips players, none can reach 2000.  Pushblocker is knocking on the door of 2300, hope he can make it some day.

Then again, this tutorial exposed PB's weakness.  He can handle very well if the ball goes to his back-hand is low, but when the ball goes to his back-hand is very high - he has problems. When lots of players have noticed this - that may very well put a lid on PB's rating, and he may very well find that the door of 2300 is closed for him.  Only time will tell.

Edited by skip3119 - 07/30/2011 at 11:39pm
skip3119
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic