Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Backhand Service?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backhand Service?
    Posted: 05/06/2011 at 11:02pm
Just saw quite a few professional players use this in videos i've been watching. Here's just an example of the serve I'm talking about. Wasn't too sure on the exact name. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omxz3POb0nQ&feature=related

Firstly, I was wondering if there are any tutorial videos just to get the basics down pat and the
Pros or Cons for this type of serve. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 11:28pm
I use this serve when I get tired.   Instead of serving with my FH from the corner I can be in the middle and server with my BH.  I don't have to move and my hand ends up in the ready position.

The disadvantage is the there are fewer options on what you can do with the serve.  I am right handed so my paddle moves from left to right.  It is obvious to the opponent which direction my hand is moving.  I can also move my hand from right to left but this too is obvious and I am using my FH instead of my BH.

JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 12:19am
i think its useful... just a change of pace... i find i can do faster serves with the backhand then forehand with more angle of direction... i vary backspin and no spin to fast topspin all with sidespin or no sidespin(however the same sidespin) plus the placement... i think there is definitely enough variation  
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Nori View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 12:34am
gonnna be hard to generate spin with spectol :) 
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 3:46am
Originally posted by Nori Nori wrote:

LOL!  Good catch. LOL
I have to agree with JohnnyChop though.   I've developed tons of variation in my backhand serve.  My forehand serve is miserable, so I've had to learn this.  It seems to work well.  The only problem I see with the backhand serve is that it is served "straight-up", facing the opponent, and it is therefore what I'm about to do, than if I were to become adept at the pendulum serve.  I'm always suspicious that I am "telegraphing" too much of what I am about to deliver.  With the pendulum serve, being that you are standing sideways with your hitting hand obscured to your opponent by your body, the server seems to have more ability to hide his intent until the point when the ball is contacted.  Often that is too late for an opponent if they can't react so quickly.  Therein lies the biggest allure of learning the pendulum serve to me.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 4:11am
you can hide quite a lot with bh serves too.....dead ball, fast serves, heavy underspin, heavy sidespin, you can even make people think you're serving underspin and actually make it sidespin or a mix of side/top.

the list goes on really...
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 4:49am

well i agree to an extent.... but 

1. deception for me works best at medium amount of spin... to much spin then ppl can tell from the way it bounces...
2. you be suprised how much spin a SP can generate, granted its not as much as inverted but still very spinny (look at LGL)
3. i think for SP service you get more speed thus less time for the opponent to react... so weaker spin is okay for me anyways  
4. plus i twiddle... so if my opponent is constantly attacking my serves because of its 'weaker' spin , i either serve FH or i twiddle so i can serve with my H2

i think all in all BH serve or FH serve they are just meant to be variations.... they are not better or worst... its always good to increase variations anyways... i think alot of pros they mostly serve FH and goes to a BH serve once in a while if they get caught in a slump to try to snal themselves out of it...
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 5:28am
With FH serves a player can swing the balls both ways with disguise. I've never figured how to reliably perform a BH serve with clockwise swing (from R-hander POV).
Has anyone seen it done?

Edited by Tinykin_2 - 05/07/2011 at 5:32am
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
apflor323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apflor323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 5:32am
Originally posted by AnthonyTT AnthonyTT wrote:

Firstly, I was wondering if there are any tutorial videos just to get the basics down pat and the Pros or Cons for this type of serve. Thanks in advance!

Here is a quick tutorial on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2qPfQLgdn0
T05/Treiber Z/Rasant Powersponge
FEEDBACK HERE
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 7:14am
Perfectly viable serve imo and I was doing it quite often since it was better than my reverse pendulum while offering very similar benefits (the same rotation of sidespin especially). Topspin and backspin variation are easily doable and quite well disguised – and actually you can even achieve an opposite sidespin rotation very naturally (looks like kind of ‘reverse tomahawk’). I guess that it is easier to do if you happen to have a strongish backhand, but if you don’t then it may be a good method of improving one.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 8:50am
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

you can hide quite a lot with bh serves too.....dead ball, fast serves, heavy underspin, heavy sidespin, you can even make people think you're serving underspin and actually make it sidespin or a mix of side/top.

the list goes on really...

Yep. The strongest server in our state (who is only a US1600-1700 player) does these variations, and absolutely confounds everyone including his regular US1900+ opponents. Even against these stronger players, he is able to play consistently close games on strength of serve and attack.

By watching his contact and weight transfer, I learned how to vary underspin vs. deadball from him, and the side top variant; but still cannot read nor disguise heavytop/heavy under half as nearly well.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 12:14pm
heavy top and heavy under is going to be pretty easy to see because of the amount of contact he needs to put on it (in my opinion). the one that'll really annoy you is when he does heavy side/under. then you start wondering if it's heavy side/under, under, or top....
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 6:09pm
Danny seemiller uses this as his main serve. Also Primorac , li jia wei, dimitri otcharov, 
JBurn244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBurn244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 11:27am
I use this serve quite a bit. I'll do mostly spinny ones, then in a clutch moment serve a dead ball with the same motion. Seems to really work well. Will throw in the occasional topspin variation as well.
Donic Persson Powerplay
Tenergy 80-FX
Donic Acuda P2
AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2011 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

Danny seemiller uses this as his main serve. Also Primorac , li jia wei, dimitri otcharov, 

I don't know if its because his stance isn't facing the player dead on, but his serve seems to be very deceptive even to the top players in the world. Check out some of his videos, Ma Long pops up 1 in 5 of his Dimi's serves. Can anyone explain why its more effective then someone like Joo's?
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 1:24am
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

well i agree to an extent.... but 

2. you be suprised how much spin a SP can generate, granted its not as much as inverted but still very spinny (look at LGL)
3. i think for SP service you get more speed thus less time for the opponent to react... so weaker spin is okay for me anyways  

Yep.  I'm constantly surprised at how often I get inverted players to hit completely off of the table with my backhand serve.  The combination of fast server speed and varying between top, under and pure side spin cause more errors that seems reasonable.  I'm using Dr. Evil on a hardbat.

As for variation, one thing I believe I do well with my backhand serve is to vary depth.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Tinykin_2 Tinykin_2 wrote:

With FH serves a player can swing the balls both ways with disguise. I've never figured how to reliably perform a BH serve with clockwise swing (from R-hander POV).
Has anyone seen it done?

I do that as a change of pace as well.  It is essentially a reverse tomahawk.  I can go top, side or underspin.  The short underspin isn't really a tomahawk though.  It is really a standard short underspin serve with a sideways motion (to the server's left).  It is surprising how many inverted players try to lift that serve and put it right into the net.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 1:29am
Originally posted by Krantz Krantz wrote:

Perfectly viable serve imo and I was doing it quite often since it was better than my reverse pendulum while offering very similar benefits (the same rotation of sidespin especially). Topspin and backspin variation are easily doable and quite well disguised – and actually you can even achieve an opposite sidespin rotation very naturally (looks like kind of ‘reverse tomahawk’). I guess that it is easier to do if you happen to have a strongish backhand, but if you don’t then it may be a good method of improving one.

I've been working on starting the serve like a standard backhand and then switching to a forehand serve after the toss - sorta like some of the serves that Jasna (formerly Reed - don't recall her current last name) does.  Just with less overall gyration.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 1:26pm
Can anyone answer my post 4 answers above? :)
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2011 at 6:44pm
that kind of bh serve has a lot of variations - underspin, no spin, side under, side top, side spin serves
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic