Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joola Phenix Rubber

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2012 at 8:15pm
i got a mildly used one from a friend. Very easy to play with, loop or block. No need to 'learn' or 'adjust'. THe ball flies the way you expect it to fly.

Light.

On the downside, dwell time is quite poor compared to the Joola Express and Energy rubbers, that I have tried as well. The so called 'bite' is not there either. It's not like the ball slips, but the bite feeling is just not there. Not good for looping chopped balls. 

Throw is med high, speed is quite OK, it's not a cannon but you can loop from mid distance reasonably. 

It's OK, but quite frankly if it disapeared nothing would be lost as it doesn't have anything unique.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 9:09am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

i got a mildly used one from a friend. Very easy to play with, loop or block. No need to 'learn' or 'adjust'. THe ball flies the way you expect it to fly.

Light.

On the downside, dwell time is quite poor compared to the Joola Express and Energy rubbers, that I have tried as well. The so called 'bite' is not there either. It's not like the ball slips, but the bite feeling is just not there. Not good for looping chopped balls. 

Throw is med high, speed is quite OK, it's not a cannon but you can loop from mid distance reasonably. 

It's OK, but quite frankly if it disapeared nothing would be lost as it doesn't have anything unique.

I disagree on the speed.  It is a cannon.  Whenever I give my TBS + Joola Phenix Max setup to players, they always complain that it is uncontrollable.  The one person who liked it plays with Schlager Carbon + Rakza 7 soft on both sides.

Again, for looping chopped balls/dwell, I agree - it is a spinny rubber but the throw is not med high - it is very low in my experience, but it just means that I have to use extreme angles and rely on the rubber for the length of the stroke and keep my strokes very short.  Because my shoulder is killing me right now, I'm using it.

It is the low throw that makes looping chopped balls hard, but if one just wants to get the ball over the let with speed and attacks the chop rather than trying to loop it with traditional underspin stroke, your evaluation can change really quickly.

For blocks, hits and drive loops, that is where it is at its best.
shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 9:14am
this rubber looks interesting, has anyone tried the new joola phenix 48? 
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 10:15pm
By the way, Phenix is currently one of Joola's best selling advanced rubber. I would definitely miss it if it left the market. I've now decided to go all in on this rubber given my positive experience and to swallow the high price.
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 10:16pm
I have decided to try out 2.0mm Joola Phoenix on BH -- so kudos to richrf for a good review Tongue
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 12:17am
Only when forum is discussing the thing that you ve been using extensively one can elaborate how to treat all the other reviews here. All info is very subjective. Not a fresh point but need to be figured out once. In the end as for me  - Phenix is FAST (if its not, what is?) with average/normal/nothing special spin. When I was thinking where to move from it I dreamt about a little bit softer much grippier rubber with higher arc and more spin. But they did completely reverse  - let out phenix 48 instead of phenix 40-42 :) Phenix 48  could be a great BH rubber  - low arc fast and hard. But for FH it should be a leathally flat and fast. May be like Calibra LT +. While everybody (imo) should choose LT spin. Everytime! :) It's spin that makes TT shine!        
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 10:20am
Originally posted by vic#74 vic#74 wrote:

Only when forum is discussing the thing that you ve been using extensively one can elaborate how to treat all the other reviews here. All info is very subjective. Not a fresh point but need to be figured out once. In the end as for me  - Phenix is FAST (if its not, what is?) with average/normal/nothing special spin. When I was thinking where to move from it I dreamt about a little bit softer much grippier rubber with higher arc and more spin. But they did completely reverse  - let out phenix 48 instead of phenix 40-42 :) Phenix 48  could be a great BH rubber  - low arc fast and hard. But for FH it should be a leathally flat and fast. May be like Calibra LT +. While everybody (imo) should choose LT spin. Everytime! :) It's spin that makes TT shine!        

Vic#74, they can't be doing it because they are idiots.  They are doing it because that is what the pros asked for!
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 10:35am
For me it came down to that ESN Tensor rubbers were not for me (bouncy characteristics) and neither were Tenergy rubbers (cost and characteristics). Classic rubbers without boosting were just to tame for me as were the Chinese rubbers that I tried. So I needed something with good mid-court and close to the table speed and performance together with lots of control and feeling. Of all of the rubbers I tried, Killerspin Fortissimo and Joola Phenix were the two that felt right for me. I really disliked the Rakza 7 that I purchased and it would not surprise me that those who love Rakza 7 may dislike Phenix. Everyone has a different game and different tastes. Different ways of playing and making points. Phenix is just right for my game and I am very happy with it and I would miss it as would other players who enjoy the characteristics of this rubber. 

Edited by richrf - 02/05/2012 at 11:06am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 10:50am
Vic#74,

Did you use the rubber in Max or 2.0mm?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by sunilid sunilid wrote:

I have decided to try out 2.0mm Joola Phoenix on BH -- so kudos to richrf for a good review Tongue

I hope the rubber works out for you. I know that it is risky spending money on a rubber before testing it. I think if you have a game similar to the one that NextLevel described, you will be pleased with the rubber.  NextLevel was the person who recommended the rubber to me based upon my playing characteristics (i.e. blocking, control, fast topspin drives and counter-drives from close-in and mid-court) and as you can see I was very satisfied with the reccomendation. Hope it works out for you as well. Good luck!
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2012 at 11:12am
How is Joola Phenix on the backhand, especially for looping slightly backspin balls?
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2012 at 11:56am
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

How is Joola Phenix on the backhand, especially for looping slightly backspin balls?

great
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2012 at 2:58pm

I have been using Phenix for a few months now. Really like it. I think it is an excellent backhand rubber. You can really dig into the ball and give it a nice counterspin on the backhand. Great for blocking. 

I am using Stiga Calibra on the forehand. They complement each other very nicely. Calibra has many similar characteristics but slightly harder so that you can hit with power on the forehand without bottoming out. It is not an ESN rubber so it does not have the feeling of too much catapult action. I love both of the games which are suitable for power techniques with a good balance of spin and control. Not moving off these rubbers any time soon - if ever. 
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2012 at 3:21pm

Will less catapult work on the forehand? I usually use a more bouncy rubber on the backhand.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2012 at 3:35pm

Will less catapult work on the forehand? I usually use a more bouncy rubber on the backhand.

I prefer more linear behavior on both the forehand and backhand so that I can better judge placement and speed. For me, ESN tensors, are too unpredictable and the behavior changes pretty radically over time. 

Calibra and Phenix provides tons of speed without sacrificing control which is why I prefer this combination. I would say the closest ESNs would be the Vega series. 
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2012 at 6:11pm
Does Phenix work on hard thin composite blades. Is phenix medium high throw?
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2012 at 8:59pm
didnt this rubber come out around the same time as Joola brave, which had apparently really poor durability
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2012 at 11:12pm

Does Phenix work on hard thin composite blades. Is phenix medium high throw?

I can't speak to this. I am using it on a 7-ply composite Killerspin Diamond DQ blade. I would say it is a medium throw. Slightly higher than the Caliber. I adjust my stroke and speed for the throw. 
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2012 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by decoi decoi wrote:

didnt this rubber come out around the same time as Joola brave, which had apparently really poor durability

I am not sure if Joola Brave is an ESN. Phenix is Japanese rubber and so far I am very pleased with durability. Much, much better than the ESN  Rakza that I was using and just got rid of. 
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2012 at 11:39pm
agree!  it keeps chipping around the edges. 
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2012 at 3:37pm
Joola Phenix has an interesting characteristic. The rubber around the edges crumbled when I initially cut it to fit it on my blade. However, this edge characteristic apparently does not affect the durability and performance of the rubber. As I indicated, it has so far done much better than the EST Rakza rubber that I had which quickly went down the tubes. I am hopeful that the Japanese Calibra rubber will have similar durability characteristics as Phenix.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2013 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Brainstorm69 Brainstorm69 wrote:

Yeah, that probably equates to 40g or more cut, depending on the space you leave at the bottom of your blade above the end of the handle.

my 2.0 weight is 43gm

Edited by piligrim - 12/03/2013 at 1:44pm
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2016 at 8:26am
Since Joola Phenix has been discontinued, are there any replacement rubber with equivalent characteristics?
I have used it in 2.1mm on my forehand.
Tibhar Defense Plus

FH: Joola Phenix

BH: Dr. Neubauer Bison 1.5mm

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be…unnatural."
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2016 at 5:35pm
For me, the closest fit was the Stiga Calibra LT - NOT the Tour which is completely different. I think you'll find the Calibra has very similar characteristics, and better. However, it is a counterhitting rubber like the Phenix and lacks spin. You get one of the other but not both.

Hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic