FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Video: sahiggs100 vs Mon22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sahiggs100 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Video: sahiggs100 vs Mon22
    Posted: 02/27/2012 at 12:35am
This is a video of me playing against another forum member in a tournament this past weekend.  I'm posting it for two reasons.  The first is that I think it is cool to see forum members in action and especially against each other, it puts faces to names and let's us see different styles and what skill level we are.
The second reason is that I'm always looking to improve in my game and having others analyze you in a match (especially in a tournament match) is beneficial and some good advice can come of it.  So here is the video, I'm the player in blue:

Some of you may have seen some of my previous videos and there is a few things I have changed since my last video.  The biggest is that I have gone to inverted on the BH whereas I was using feint long 3 before.  The second is that I have changed my grip from being halfway to a V grip to a more standard grip altho it might still be a little forehand oriented.  The third is that I switched from outlaw on the fh (now on the bh) and am using H3 on the fh, made this switch about 3 weeks ago (same time I went inverted on the bh).

Tell me what you think and if you have any advice then please share.  Another thing is that I would love to see more videos of forum members playing (especially against each other) so please don't be shy about posting videos.
Blade: Nexy Lissom
FH: Gambler Outlaw Black
BH: RITC 802 Short Pips Red

Please Don't feed the EJ's!
Sponsored Links

ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 1:06am
my $0.02 worth:

sahiggs100: 2 obvious things hit me:
1. On your forehand topspin, you are often shifting your weight backwards through your shot instead of forwards from your right leg to your left. This happens particularly when you are moving to your right. Sometimes it's impossible, but try to move first then be stable in your shot and concentrate on moving your weight forwards through the ball.

2. You have an extreme forehand stance (right leg further back from the left) and I don't remember seeing you hit a backhand topspin or counter in the video so it's impossible to rate. Obviously if you were playing against a stronger opponent he/she would make you play more backhands.

Dude in black:
My guess is that you have not been playing at a club for as long as sahiggs100 but that either you have played a lot of basement table tennis and/or other sports. In spite of some funky technique, you can keep a rally going. I think that if you got some coaching and put in the time you could improve quite rapidly.
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 1:14am
sahiggs100,
     Nice game but one glaring error. Your return to ready position. You leave your bat at the "end of stroke" position until the next ball is hit. Practice return to ready and you will have alot more time. It really shows up on a couple where you hit a forhand and then a backhand. Your stroke for the backhand started from the "end of stroke" position from the forhand. You do the same on the backhand also.  Smile
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 1:15am
Thanks for the pointers.  I remember there being about 3 times I hit a bh counter/topspin but my opponent didn't hit a lot of topspin to my bh that I didn't try to cover with my fh.  I do cover a lot of ground with my fh(at least I try to) and haven't gotten to aggressive yet with my bh possibly because I was using long pips on the bh until 3 weeks ago.  So still got to drill in the more aggressive aspects of the bh.

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 1:18am
which event is this?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 1:19am
This is a tournament in lakeland florida.  It is a giant round robin so that you get put into a group of similar rated players based on rating.

dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 1:26am
Originally posted by ttTurkey ttTurkey wrote:

Dude in black:
My guess is that you have not been playing at a club for as long as sahiggs100 but that either you have played a lot of basement table tennis and/or other sports. In spite of some funky technique, you can keep a rally going. I think that if you got some coaching and put in the time you could improve quite rapidly.

The guy in black has way better basics, despite missing a bunch of smashes. The guy in blue looks extremely awkward and has a weak short game. Way too much back swing on every forehand. You should also relax your arm and have a more fluid motion when you swing. Try to think that a full swing includes your arm coming back down to your ready position, instead of stopping it at the top of every swing.
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 1:34am
Originally posted by dalamchops dalamchops wrote:

Originally posted by ttTurkey ttTurkey wrote:

Dude in black:

The guy in black has way better basics, despite missing a bunch of smashes. The guy in blue looks extremely awkward and has a weak short game. Way too much back swing on every forehand. You should also relax your arm and have a more fluid motion when you swing. Try to think that a full swing includes your arm coming back down to your ready position, instead of stopping it at the top of every swing.

Thanks for the tips.  I know I need to reduce my backswing and I am definitely going to work on a more aggressive short game.  I wouldn't be surprised if my opponent has better basics than I do, I don't have access to an actual club without driving an hour and a half at the least.  My opponent however lives in the city of the club I would have to drive so far for so I hope he is using it enough for the both of usSmile

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 2:19am
Sahiggs, you're at the exact same stage of development as I was a few months ago(check out the last vid I posted of myself).  Your opponent is the perfect one for your style, because he has simple services, isn't aggressive, and can't push short/low or with a purpose.  The slow, long, and high pushes from him allow you to cover the table with your forehand, and even when you're forced to push he has trouble taking advantage.  Your backswing is fine against an opponent like him.  In fact, when people give you balls like that, you should indeed load up on power to punish it.

The first thing you need to improve are your services and returns.  All your services can be attacked quite easily, but your opponent had trouble exploiting that as the most aggressive return he could manage most of the time is a BH flip, which goes high with little spin and is easily countered by you.  Your entire game right now is predicated on you taking the initiative, so work on the things that lets you take the initiative!

Secondly, you need to work on a good BH.  You'll have loads of trouble against guys who can push fast and/or short to your BH, as well as against people who can serve very fast and spinny to both wings.  At your level, you're not yet ready to cover the table with your current FH oriented stance if opponents can do that.  Anyone who can attack your BH side will also force you into a defensive posture and away from the table, so you need to work on blocks and counters on that side as well.

Thirdly, as many have already mentioned, you have a large swing and a slow recovery, which will make things difficult when you encounter people who can counter fast.  It's game over if they can counter fast AND to your BH.

As for Mon, he plays pretty similar to you, with the biggest difference being that he's less aggressive.  He blocks a bit more and better, and he doesn't move to take advantage of your own long, slow, and high pushes to his BH side.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 2:39am
you need to relax a bit shaggy, like you do in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g5Hz17C4is
you look like a robot man, like you saw too many videos of fh technique LOL
a couple of tips:
-you need to gain enough control of the ball so that your services, return of services, pushes stay short if you want them to.
-maybe an european fh rubber would do good to you, your consistency doesn't seem high with h3.
this is not an easy rubber to use and pretty useless unless boosted once you get to a certain level.
I would try something european, if you don't like it just go back to h3.

but if you have problems with keeping balls short start with something basic like a mark v or a sriver el.
remember that with higher level players a long ball if not offensive is an easy point for the other.
or at least it will put you in a very defensive position.

-for fh loop, develop your own stroke that feels comfortable.
don't look too much at your arm, just look at the resulting ball. if you like the resulting ball then everything is ok, no need for your arm movement to look like wang liqin.

Edited by sa01 - 02/27/2012 at 2:42am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 2:51am
Originally posted by sa01 sa01 wrote:

you need to relax a bit shaggy, like you do in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g5Hz17C4is
you look like a robot man, like you saw too many videos of fh technique LOL
a couple of tips:
-you need to gain enough control of the ball so that your services, return of services, pushes stay short if you want them to.
-maybe an european fh rubber would do good to you, your consistency doesn't seem high with h3.
this is not an easy rubber to use and pretty useless unless boosted once you get to a certain level.
I would try something european, if you don't like it just go back to h3.

but if you have problems with keeping balls short start with something basic like a mark v or a sriver el.
remember that with higher level players a long ball if not offensive is an easy point for the other.
or at least it will put you in a very defensive position.

-for fh loop, develop your own stroke that feels comfortable.
don't look too much at your arm, just look at the resulting ball. if you like the resulting ball then everything is ok, no need for your arm movement to look like wang liqin.

I don't think I'll ever be that relaxed LOL
Yeah, I'm thinking of going back to outlaw on the forehand as I think that I was a little more consistent with it.  I'll try to be more aggressive with my returns and hopefully work on getting a stiffer more offensive push.

mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 2:54am
those are really short shorts
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 2:59am
Originally posted by mrdoodzki mrdoodzki wrote:

those are really short shorts

Yeah, tournaments are the only place I'm brave enough to wear them.  LOL  But they do make moving around quite easy.

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 3:00am
Agree with dalamchops that despite losing, the guy in black has a more natural, fluid body movement and strokes. Blue dude just looks stiff and awkward. Im not good enough to figure what's the problem,  but just looks so awkward. Your forehand is mostly topsin, pretty slow. I used to do that, but it doesn't fly on higher level, they get too much time for anything they decide. Your forehand push is bad. Seems like you practice only the forehand loop, and mostly with a robot, because you swing the same way every time, even when situations are different and require different swing. But you have no touch for the forehand push and serve-receive. I would spend some time practicing that too. Oh, and I don't know if you cut the bachkands from the video, but if not, u can use that too.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 3:55am
sahiggs100, when you are lifting those underspin shots, you're not pushing off your right leg.  Instead you are extending your latissimus dorsi which doesn't give you enough power to lift the ball.  Push off your right leg instead and you will be landing those balls almost every time.  You will also be able to add more forward power too.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 4:11am

What kind of event is this?
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 4:33am

My thinking was this:

The guy in blue has an athletic stance with well bent knees and he moves energetically (if not technically correctly at times). I have never seen a garage/basement player with this kind of stance, only players who have spent some amount of time at a club. Also his loop, while also far from technically perfect, looks like someone who has been at a club for a while (not basement technique).

The guy in black has much less knee bend, his movement looks kind of wooden and he doesn't try too much (mostly block and counter) even if what he tries looks more efficient. He looks like an accomplished basement player with a little club experience to me.

In short, I thought that sahiggs looks like a slightly rough club player and the other guy looked like a polished basement player. But I did qualify it with the word "guess"!
vishal_dindoyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vishal_dindoyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 5:21am
Shahiggs100
I think i know what's wrong in your forehand. Your elbow seems to be rigid, there's no contribution at all while doing the forehand loop. It your right shoulder that is doing all the job. And also you should use your wrist a bit more. If you intend to continue using chinese rubbers on you forehand ofcourse.

Hope that helps!
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 5:47am
People are in love with the FH way too much, including you sahiggs.  Your FH with all its flaws is nonetheless by far the most effective part of your game.  It's time to focus on other aspects of your game, starting with an improved service and return game to allow you to use your FH more.

Also, listen to sa01 and don't mind how your FH looks.  If you want to improve your FH, then the first thing you need to work on is your recovery.  Trust me, recovery is not as easy to improve as you might think.  I've been working on it for months now and am still having trouble, especially when facing players who can block quick to both my FH and BH.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 10:37am
Thanks for the pointers everyone, this has given me a good idea of what to focus on next.

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 10:56am
I've been working with my coach on PUMPING IT - it looks like you can also benefit from this.  Get into a stable position for the shot, get down a little lower with your hips, and push up / forward with the legs and rotate the hips and core.  Use less arm motion, let your body do the work.  This will shorten your swing and help you recover faster, and give you a more powerful and stable shot in the process.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 11:53am

Listening to the music on the video, I had the sudden urge to play Super Mario Brothers.

mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 11:58am
i'm too passive :(

I think its cuz i've been playing in my basement for too long...

Need tips too guys!

-pushing needs improvement
-need to move feet
-need work on slams
-wear tighter lighter colored shirts to show aesthetics 
-gotta wear shorter shorts
-etc.

thanks Smile

Edited by mon22 - 02/27/2012 at 12:17pm
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 12:00pm
btw, stew

great job. you've improved a lot. This is a guy who i used to beat due to his inconsistency. Not anymore. Shows how much practice can really make a difference
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
thepongcast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepongcast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 2:28pm
It's been a few months since I've seen you but it looks like you've improved a lot, nice job!

On the FH loop, like others have said, it looks stiff sometimes.  You rotate and follow through which is good.  Your legs, hips, and shoulders are rotating.  But it looks like your right shoulder doesn't swing much and locks your arm in place on some shots.  Relax and let that shoulder move more fluidly.  Think about 'flinging' it into the shot to help you get over it.

I like how you crouch down to get ready for loops.  You might not need to get as low or wind up as big as others have said.  But more importantly I think you follow through horizontally but not much vertically. You crouch but at the end of your stroke you're still in a relatively low crouching position.  You rely solely on moving your arm and racket upwards to take care of the vertical angle.  Instead you should also use your legs to push upwards a bit and have your body end in a more upright position.  You will get more power on attacks and this will especially help when you loop against backspin.

Between you and Dash, there must be something in the water there that makes you guys use FH everywhere. ;)  Keep up the good work, the club situation (or lack thereof) is tough to deal with.
Table tennis TV show & podcasts at ThePongcast.com
thepongcast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepongcast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 3:26pm
For Mons, it's hard to say because you were mostly pushing and blocking (were points edited out?).  Don't worry about casual play or at the club about winning or losing.  Just focus on working on your attacks more and it will be more natural in tournament play.  I agree you look more fluid.

One more thing for Stuart, it's natural to 'curl up' your left arm as you wind up for a forehand, but you keep your left arm down during the stroke a lot.  It seems trivial, but try to keep it out and pointing outwards more parallel to the ground.  It will help with more balance and control.  Larry Hodges had a great tip on his blog about it recently:

The non-playing arm

While coaching yesterday I found myself having trouble moving to my left to block against a student's loop. Something felt wrong. I grabbed my towel, and stalled while trying to figure it out. Then it hit me - I'd been coaching for three hours, and I'd gotten lazy with my left (non-playing) arm. Instead of holding it out for balance, it was hanging loosely by my side. Without it to counterbalance my playing arm, and to actually initiate rotations to the left by pulling, my movements were sluggish. I raised the arm, and the problem was gone. I felt like greased lightning again. (Okay, tired greased lightning.)

The irony is that I'm always harping on my students to use their non-playing arm for balance. Many players, especially beginners, simply do not use it, letting it hang down like a limp rag. You not only need it for balance, but in any rotation to the left (moving to play a backhand, any forehand stroke) you should pull with that side.

http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/772

Special note to coaches: It's very easy for a coach to get lazy or tired from hours of coaching, and to let the non-playing arm hang loosely. Most coaches are strong enough players that it won't greatly affect their play. However, this puts great pressure on your upper back to rotate the upper body without any help from the non-playing arm, which should be both balancing as well as initiating many movements. If you do this, you'll probably end up with back problems. I know now that this is one of the reasons I had so many back problems last year.

Table tennis TV show & podcasts at ThePongcast.com
michael4ster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael4ster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 3:48pm
I was at that tournament and I remember seeing you, as pointed out above my main throught was you were way slow after a loop to return to ready position. But keep up the work. I will say hi to you next time I see you at a tournament.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2012 at 4:24pm
sahiggs100

Here's a youtube video by William Henzell, which might help you with your forehand topspin shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt9gbpZGQGM

The reason for posting the link is; I noticed you missed a few 3rd ball topspin shots.

Edited by Peter C - 02/27/2012 at 4:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic