FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Viscaria versus Zhang Jike blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viscaria versus Zhang Jike blade
    Posted: 06/01/2012 at 6:22pm
This was discussed a few months back, but I thought it was worth a new thread.

Both blades were equipped with T05 on both sides.  This particular Viscaria weighed 90 g, and the ZJK weighed 85 g.  I bought the ZJK because I liked the shape of the handle better, it is fatter and rounder and I definitely prefer it.  Upon visual inspection, I think the fit and finish of the Viscaria is better, mainly with little things, such as how flush the wood is to the plastic things in the handle.  The wings of the Viscaria come a little lower, and that affects the way you feel things when you play. 

In play, this particular ZJK felt surprisingly different from this or any other Viscaria I have used (a bunch in my day), probably because of its weight -- the ZJK is distinctly crisper, easier to manipulate close to the table, not as good a feel when you are spinning from away from the table.  The ZJK is stiffer I think.  I could feel a flex in the Viscaria that I hadn't really paid attention to before.  I noticed it because it was missing when I picked up the ZJK and hit the same shots.  All in all the ZJK was bouncier and definitely faster, especially given that it was lighter.  SO much so that I could notice it even as I bounced a ball on the blade.  Perhaps as a result, the ZJK also felt quite uncontrollable to me, especially with short game.  Neither blade has much in the way of higher frequency vibrations, which is what I expect for an ALC blade.  But the Viscaria seems to "gobble the ball up" more than the ZJK.  Put another way, whatever it is that we think we are feeling when we say a blade has more dwell time, the Viscaria has more of that.  The ZJK was much more like the Stradivarius I had purchased not too long ago. 

I am not sure what all is behind my preference, but to be honest, I really didn't like the ZJK very much and was very surprised at how different it felt compared to my expectation.  I was expecting basically a Viscaria with a fatter handle, but the ZJK is actually not that.  I can see why ZJK himself still plays with a Viscaria instead of the blade named after him.  I am going to sell my ZJK blade (and also my Stradivarius) for a good price if anyone is interested.

My suspicion is that this ZJK blade is built in a different factory than the Viscaria, and the woods and glues are not treated the same way.  That is the only way I can explain why the blades look so similar and play somewhat differently.  Now, don't get me wrong, they are in the same general class of blades, and I could certainly get used to the ZJK, but not in an hour or two.  It would take longer, probably several days or more.  Give me almost any TBS instead of my Viscaria and I will completely accommodate it in about an hour.   

Edited by Baal - 06/01/2012 at 6:23pm
Sponsored Links

tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2012 at 7:05pm
Thanks, Baal, very interesting. I did consider the ZJK at one point, as I'd heard good things about the Viscaria. Re the difference in dwell, I wonder whether this might simply be down to the Viscaria's age. If your V is, say, 8 years old, the changes in the wood may have resulted in a more gobbly feeling. That has certainly happened to both of my all-wood blades over the last 10-15 years.
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2012 at 7:42pm
My two current Viscarias are only a couple of years old, but age of the wood and glue could still be a factor.
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2012 at 11:12pm
agreed. the zjk is different from viscaria. 
it is not a question of blade age. i have modern viscaria and old viscaria.

at the beginning it seems there isn't much difference. but the more one plays the more difference one realizes to a point to feel quite different blade one from another. similar building but the zjk feeling gears is different from the viscaria-tbs-tbalc even maze (being limba instead of koto) ball park.

i also can move between the tbs-viscaria-tbalc without adapting much. but i do not like the zjk. it feels different. similar feelings as Baal's first post. the zjk feels stiffer with worse control feeling.  

Edited by ejmaster - 06/02/2012 at 11:24pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2012 at 12:00am
Somewhere else I read that some of these new Bttfly blades are actually built for them by Sunflex.  I wonder if that is part of the reason they look similar and feel different?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2012 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Somewhere else I read that some of these new Bttfly blades are actually built for them by Sunflex.  I wonder if that is part of the reason they look similar and feel different?

Do Sunflex have a factory in Japan?
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
siestakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siestakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2013 at 9:01pm
Siesta Key
W968
Omega Tour 7 i
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2013 at 9:19pm
That Sunflex idea was debunked somewhere else, since I wrote that -- I am not sure I can remember where.

I actually think part of the difference may be something they are doing to treat the top ply of wood.  The newer Btfy ALC blades seem shinier, and a touch harder, definitely compared to TBS and Viscaria.  TB-ALC, though, has some of that same treatment, and the newest ones of those I have tried seem quite hard and fast -- also lighter on average than when they first came out.  I don't know if it is UV light, or some chemical they put on the wood?  I haven't seen one of the newest versions of ZJK blades without rubber on, so I can't see if they do the same thing to those, but I suspect they do.
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2013 at 2:02am
my take is that the new ZJK blade is 65% Viscaria and 35%Iolite...
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
jackp1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2013 at 2:52am
Hello!
My 85g Viscaria is softer and have better feel than my 88g ZJK, Both blades very good top notch product. But I don't like the ZJK so much, just that strange feel...
My bet is on Viscaria
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2013 at 7:59pm
Handle size/shape can alter how a blade "feels".

A smaller handle is not necessarily a detriment as sometimes assumed to be the case. Human hands often grip thinner things better.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2013 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

Handle size/shape can alter how a blade "feels".

A smaller handle is not necessarily a detriment as sometimes assumed to be the case. Human hands often grip thinner things better.
Aha! Gotcha!
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2013 at 9:05pm
Yan An played ZJK and finally settled for Viscaria. That should say something?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2013 at 9:13pm
For a long time I loved the Viscaria -- 8+ years now -- but I thought the handle was a little too small.  So I tried to find ways around it, other similar blades with different handles (ZJK was one) but never liked them as much.  Now I think I have finally realized that I like the handle too. 
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2013 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

For a long time I loved the Viscaria -- 8+ years now -- but I thought the handle was a little too small.  So I tried to find ways around it, other similar blades with different handles (ZJK was one) but never liked them as much.  Now I think I have finally realized that I like the handle too. 

Tourna-grip was my answer, very clean solution.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic