Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enjoying Hardbat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enjoying Hardbat
    Posted: 06/19/2012 at 11:00pm
After years of playing with sponge bats I am really starting to enjoy the hardbat game. At my last practice at the club I put a deep dent in the side of my Hock blade so I ordered a Hunter Hawk with BTY OX pips. I will keep the Hock in storage as they are getting a bit harder to find. I find the game more enjoyable and can still hit fast when needed and yes loop :). Short game is much improved along with service return..go figure. The days of buying rubbers costing over $50USD is over. Anyone use a Hunter Hawk for hardbat? If so how do you like it?
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Sponsored Links

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2012 at 5:21am
frogger,  let us know how that Hunter Hawk and Orthodox work for you.  I have thought about the very same combo but I have so much stuff now and 10 hours a week is not enough time. I play hard bat too and enjoy it. I have a Toxic 5 with Peacekeeper and a LKT Instinct with Dr Evil.  I don't need yet another paddle I need more time to enjoy the paddles I have. 

I have noticed that I can get more spin if I hit the ball closer to the tip on my paddle because of the flex.   I wonder if the Hunter Hawk will be similar with only 3 plies.  I have also heard that the BTY Orthodox has a little more grip than Peacekeeper or Dr Evil.

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2012 at 10:43am
I will give a review of the Hunter Hawk after I play with it a few times. From the information I recieved it is a Hock 3-ply clone. I have also heard that BTY Orthodox OX is a bit spinnier than Yasaka A-1-2. I'ts really nice not having to worry about film covers, tuning, glue, etc....just wipe it clean with a cloth and stick it in the case! Thumbs Up
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2012 at 8:23pm
The Hunter Hawk is not a Hock clone (different wood). I make some blades that are Hock clones (same wood also).

CHEERS!
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2012 at 12:16am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

After years of playing with sponge bats I am really starting to enjoy the hardbat game. At my last practice at the club I put a deep dent in the side of my Hock blade so I ordered a Hunter Hawk with BTY OX pips. I will keep the Hock in storage as they are getting a bit harder to find. I find the game more enjoyable and can still hit fast when needed and yes loop :). Short game is much improved along with service return..go figure. The days of buying rubbers costing over $50USD is over. Anyone use a Hunter Hawk for hardbat? If so how do you like it?

LOLYou'll be back. 
And when you do, try 2mm instead of max rubber. By trying to spin/loop the ball in hardbat you're actually improving your spin game in sponge. The 2mm rubber will also open your options to use that push and chop you developed in hardbat, plus make it easier to play both games. Overall, you will see a good improvement in your sponge game.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2012 at 12:49pm
I usually use 2.0 sponge for years now. New Hawk will arrive tomorrow and will test it this coming Sunday. It's surprising to my opponents to see the amount of spin I can generate with a loop (hardbat) Actually I feel my smashes are actually faster with hardbat than with sponge but I might be wrong. One of the toughest matches I ever played in a tournament was against a strong hardbat hitter...damn ball was on me faster than my brain could compute the distance and speed. Very flat and very fast.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2012 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I usually use 2.0 sponge for years now. New Hawk will arrive tomorrow and will test it this coming Sunday. It's surprising to my opponents to see the amount of spin I can generate with a loop (hardbat) Actually I feel my smashes are actually faster with hardbat than with sponge but I might be wrong. One of the toughest matches I ever played in a tournament was against a strong hardbat hitter...damn ball was on me faster than my brain could compute the distance and speed. Very flat and very fast.

They also take the ball earlier so less time for you to react.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic