Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

FH rubber change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Return of serve has next to nothing to do with rubber once you have experience.  
I agree but I actually think such a fast blade makes the problem even worse. At 1500 you are barely into an intermediate level and there is simply no need for such fast equipment as your game is nowhere near fully developed. Get something slower, develop good technique and control, and then consider something slicker.   Smile
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2013 at 1:30am
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Return of serve has next to nothing to do with rubber once you have experience.  

I agree but I actually think such a fast blade makes the problem even worse. At 1500 you are barely into an intermediate level and there is simply no need for such fast equipment as your game is nowhere near fully developed. Get something slower, develop good technique and control, and then consider something slicker.   Smile

Agreed. I think of faster blades as providing less dwell time and that makes it harder to put your signature on the ball. When a player had a not too well developed spin and spin drive game, the faster blades are alluring because they let you reflect power with little work. But as I learned to spin, the lack of time to control the ball became a problem and it hurt my ability to manipulate the ball when blocking as well.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2013 at 2:29am
After going through this thread, without a doubt, Xiom Tau is EXACTLY what you need dabookerman.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2013 at 3:23pm
Talking about Tau.. I had a hit with Thors a few days ago for the first time in a couple years... That's one serious mother of rubber compared to TG3, hugely more spinny and twice as fast all at once. Less control of course yet no where near as demanding as I remember, perhaps I improved in the meantime
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 5:32pm
Okay, I went on vacation and finally had a chance to play a couple times so here is what I've found.  
First, I tried the TG3 on the IF ZLC and that was AWFUL.  One of my clubmates tried it and the kindest assessment that he could offer was that it felt like concrete.  I gave it a fair try for the night, but for whatever reason it did not work.  Using T80 or SpinArt on the IF ZLC provided plenty of finishing power on my loops, but I could not put away anything with the TG3.  I know that TG3 is a dead rubber but this was ridiculous.  One of my regular practice partners hit with me for a while away from the table and I tried my darndest to hit powerful loop drives but after a short while of looping I was exhausted and he remarked that he could return balls like this all day (and he was).  It was mildly better in the short game but it did not feel good at anything.  Good blade and good rubber but a terrible combination IMHO.  

So, Monday I tried my new LSW with T80 FH (and also T05 BH).  Right away this setup felt GREAT all around.  I have already provided comments on the LSW thread, but I'll say here that the setup felt very well balanced and it provided a full range of spin and power variation to my game.  I had an inkling that I would like the LSW but I had no idea that I would like it so much right away.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 10:44pm
The reason beginner intermediate players like faster blades is because less of their technique depends on the body and legs. Most of the stroke mechanics are purely based on arm. With that technique its hard to generate sufficient power and spin when trying to hit the ball harder, I especially when using a blade that requires more power input.

A few years back I though Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon was too slow for me and have played with a Stradivarius until a few months back. I've glued rubbers on a slow blade Yasaka Sweden Classic I ordered out of curiosity and have been using this blade since then. I enjoy every bit of its slowness. I feel that my game is a lot more sound than it ever was. This blade is marked as defensive in Megaspin and as very slow allaround everywhere else, but when I played some tough retrievers and choppers, it did not seem too slow. 

Just wanted to share my experience. Since I don't train as much anymore, my shots were constantly going out 2-4 inches too long. This slower blade magically makes everything go in. Just some food for though.

Good luck.

Back to table tennis...
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2013 at 8:53am

Get something slower, develop good technique and control, and then consider something slicker.   Smile

I think it's more complicated than that, because slow equipment too can hamper development of correct technique, and generate bad habits. For example, I see some people who play with a slow rubber on bh tend to hit bh with their right leg in front, to compensate for the lack of power. This hampers forehand a lot.

I think you have to pick a balanced racket, not too fast but not too slow either.
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2013 at 9:33am
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

Get something slower, develop good technique and control, and then consider something slicker.   Smile

I think it's more complicated than that, because slow equipment too can hamper development of correct technique, and generate bad habits. For example, I see some people who play with a slow rubber on bh tend to hit bh with their right leg in front, to compensate for the lack of power. This hampers forehand a lot.

I think you have to pick a balanced racket, not too fast but not too slow either.
Looping or hitting with the left leg in front is not bad technique. In the end, it all depends on whether the person's playing style and footwork can accommodate it.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic