Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Playing with left hand for right handed people?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Playing with left hand for right handed people?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 9:54am
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

Generally upsets happen when one player is performing above their level and other below theirs (or in less common cases some kind of stylistic mismatch). It's not inconceivable that someone on a bad day (tired, sick, etc) can be beaten by some disadvantaged version of themselves on a good day.

Sure - in such terms, anything is conceivable.  Even a 2600 player losing to an 1100 player.  I  think you're anchored to the 200 number for obvious reasons, but it is clearly an underestimate.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 10:36am
It seems rather more obvious that you and Baal still have a very poor understanding of how ratings work. Consider reading again my replies on the efficacy of strats, because there remain this notion here that a rating diff is something other than a statistical average.

For example, +200 doesn't mean you'll always lose to every player 200 points less the same 1 out of X times. There are some players (ostensibly yourself but worse) you''ll almost always win, and some you'll lose more than 1 out of X. Only on average is it 1 of X.

Stats can be hard to grasp but this really is basic stuff.

Edited by AgentHEX - 09/03/2013 at 10:37am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 10:37am

I hope for the sake of academia they have higher expectations of arguments than this.

Academia has nothing to do with it.  I didn't make comments about how good people can be playing with clipboards; CNT players against the top women in the world left handed; and your claim to be within 200 points different when playing with right and left hand; and on and on, I have lost track.  You have now amassed a large corpus of table tennis absurdity.  When it is pointed out that there is a significance to your claim that you can play as well with LP or inverted your backhand in less than in hour, you are oblivious.  I don't doubt for a second it is true.  But make no mistake, a lot of players know what that means instantly and roll their eyes when you start abusing people.  The main thing, though, is that you are mean spirited in your trolling.  You turn almost every thread you enter into some sort of personal vendetta against other members, some of whom have a lot of experience as coaches and high level players, and have been interacting here -- cooperatively and in freindship -- for years.  It was kind of funny for awhile, just to see what you would come up with next.  Now, not so much.     

I would strongly suggest that you get back on your meds.  The way things are now is not good for you.

For me, here out, I'm not engaging anymore.

Edited by Baal - 09/03/2013 at 10:41am
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 10:46am
Rather than following NL's terrible reasoning just to spite me, consider pondering some basic math as outlined above. Basic math is generally not up for debate and it's unlikely you'll produce any counterargument, so I predict you'll drop the topic for now only to describe it as "trolling" at some later point in time as evident above.

When it is pointed out that there is a significance to your claim that you can play as well with LP or inverted your backhand in less than in hour, you are oblivious. 

There's no need to lie even when things are desperate. These conversations you refer to are recorded for posterity.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 11:08am

It seems rather more obvious that you and Baal still have a very poor understanding of how ratings work. Consider reading again my replies on the efficacy of strats, because there remain this notion here that a rating diff is something other than a statistical average.

For example, +200 doesn't mean you'll always lose to every player 200 points less the same 1 out of X times. There are some players (ostensibly yourself but worse) you''ll almost always win, and some you'll lose more than 1 out of X. Only on average is it 1 of X.

First of all, that wasn't your original argument - if it was, then I would have addressed you differently.  So rather than accept that you made a bad argument to defend something you are anchored to, you find it easier to insult people you disagree with by saying they don't understand statistics.

Secondly, than assume you are talking to idiots (even smart people make mistakes), simply explain why you believe that the rating differential is 200 points.  I don't know anyone who I have seen who uses both hands who comes close to 200 points - the closest I have seen is more like 400 points and this is for someone who plays regularly with both hands after suffering an injury that kept him from playing with his preferred hand. 

200 points assumes that there are players who you are competitive with right now with your preferred hand who you would have a non-zero chance of beating with your offhand.  If you are fairly confident of this claim, continue to push the 200 number.
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 11:27am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

First of all, that wasn't your original argument - if it was, then I would have addressed you differently.  So rather than accept that you made a bad argument to defend something you are anchored to, you find it easier to insult people you disagree with by saying they don't understand statistics.

Well at first it didn't even occur to me that someone who claims to have an EE degree (or someone who teaches college students STEM) can fail so miserably at basic jr-high math; it wasn't until I read your second post and Baal's pat on the back again that it registered it wasn't just some language misunderstanding.

Secondly, than assume you are talking to idiots (even smart people make mistakes), simply explain why you believe that the rating differential is 200 points.  I don't know anyone who I have seen who uses both hands who comes close to 200 points - the closest I have seen is more like 400 points and this is for someone who plays regularly with both hands after suffering an injury that kept him from playing with his preferred hand. 

200 points assumes that there are players who you are competitive with right now with your preferred hand who you would have a non-zero chance of beating with your offhand.  If you are fairly confident of this claim, continue to push the 200 number.

Sometimes I enjoy experimenting with different aspects of various games and IME 200 shouldn't be too far off. 400 points is 2x large skill gap, and it's basically impossible to play that much worse with you preferred hand (the handicaps would have to be massive).

In any case, for most amateurs, simply learning how to block well w/the off-hand should result in enough errors from opponents 200 below to be competitive, and maybe a chance to block a former peer off the table w/ good footwork.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 11:51am

Well at first it didn't even occur to me that someone who claims to have an EE degree (or someone who teaches college students STEM) can fail so miserably at basic jr-high math; it wasn't until I read your second post and Baal's pat on the back again that it registered it wasn't just some language misunderstanding.

My name is in the public domain.  And again, I didn't fail at anything.  This is simply rude.

Sometimes I enjoy experimenting with different aspects of various games and IME 200 shouldn't be too far off. 400 points is 2x large skill gap, and it's basically impossible to play that much worse with you preferred hand (the handicaps would have to be massive).

In any case, for most amateurs, simply learning how to block well w/the off-hand should result in enough errors from opponents 200 below to be competitive, and maybe a chance to block a former peer off the table w/ good footwork.

As you know, the points are not linearly related - a 400 point skill gap is not twice a 200 point skill gap.  You see, people's errors can be stated without insulting them.

Secondly, the gap between most people's playing hands is more of the "it is impossible for my right hand to lose to my left hand variety", even after training.  So I am still puzzled as to why you think the gap is 200 points.

Cybershape Carbon
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 3:52pm
I think people are very adaptable when necessary.  I think the switch from left to right or right to left can be made pretty quickly if it is necessary and one can't play with the other hand as in my case.

@Tassie52, an asymptote doesn't have to approach 0 just some limit or line/ boundary.  Look up asymptote on wikipedia.  You will see many examples where a function asymptotically approaches a line that isn't 0.

Oh well, argue on guys.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

I think people are very adaptable when necessary.  I think the switch from left to right or right to left can be made pretty quickly if it is necessary and one can't play with the other hand as in my case.

@Tassie52, an asymptote doesn't have to approach 0 just some limit or line/ boundary.  Look up asymptote on wikipedia.  You will see many examples where a function asymptotically approaches a line that isn't 0.

Oh well, argue on guys.

I think in this case, the body recalibrates itself in a way it wouldn't if the choice to use the dominant arm was still available.
Cybershape Carbon
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

My name is in the public domain.  And again, I didn't fail at anything.  This is simply rude.

Unless you have an argument otherwise, I don't care who failed at basic math, only that it's  deliciously embarrassing when it's people who shouldn't and they try to deny it. Protip, if you just cop to the juvie error and take the hit, the teasing becomes a lot less funny.

As you know, the points are not linearly related - a 400 point skill gap is not twice a 200 point skill gap.  You see, people's errors can be stated without insulting them.

A 400 point skill gap is by definition two 200 point skill gaps. I'm not sure if you're trying to prove a point or what by now failing at grade school math but here's your chance to practice the advice above.

Secondly, the gap between most people's playing hands is more of the "it is impossible for my right hand to lose to my left hand variety", even after training.  So I am still puzzled as to why you think the gap is 200 points.

I'm not even sure why people who've obviously never even tried this are debating it. The biggest initial hurdle when playing off-hand is the serves and returns. Pop up and it's a uphill struggle. Just like FH, practice enough serves to keep it low or long to get into the point and do the simple things well enough.

Also, again, the reason why upsets happen other than the main mental/fatigue issues is stylistic mismatch, which is generally lacking within yourself. This is all very basic TT observations so not sure what your angle is here.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 9:41pm
Just another thing I recalled about "pro" athletes. F1 before clutchless transmission used left foot for it. When the transition happened everyone just (re)learned left foot braking (even where testing is always somewhat limited). I'm pretty sure when juniors back then still karted with left foot braking for trans-less, so some had to make this transition twice. There were exceptions, though, for at least one top level driver who kept w/ right foot, but this hardly seemed an issue even at highest level of the sport where stopping the car at the threshold is pretty damn important.

Also done both styles and switching isn't fundamentally harder than mouse or TT bat, and I hardly consider myself any physical talent.

Edited by AgentHEX - 09/03/2013 at 9:44pm
shaibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 9:58pm
Just a data point for this discussion. One of the coaches at the club I play is a ~2400 player. He often plays left handed with his students to give them a handicap and make a competitive match. I've asked him what he thought his left handed rating would be - he said ~1700-1800 and that he has no chance against a 2000 player.

Edited by shaibu - 09/04/2013 at 7:18am
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

Oh well, argue on guys.

No, his def was correct: "A line whose distance to a given curve tends to zero." This means given line X and curve Y, the distance between them (X-Y) decreases towards limit.

lol, had this open and didn't click post earlier.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 12:30am
Originally posted by shaibu shaibu wrote:

Just a data point for this discussion. One of the coaches at the club I play is a ~2400 player. He often plays left handed with his students to give them a handicap and make a competitive match. I've asked him what he thinks his left handed rating would be - he said ~1700-1800 and that he has no chance against a 2000 player.

Thanks for the data point.  Sometimes, I have to remember that some people love to argue because they seem to think that smarter arguments make you right, when the truth is about whether what you say accords with the facts.
Cybershape Carbon
Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 7:33am
I practiced twice with my left had those couple days for fun, here are some good stuff:

- Im right handed SH player, I never played PH with my right hand! supersiengly, playing SH with my left hand was TOO ackward for me to even play 5 minutes, so I switched to PH and it was at least 4 times better than my left SH!

- Lefthand /FH/ PH was pretty good exercise that I played about an hour. and I would do it again for sure. Backhand was not that good, I wasn't playing RPB though.

- as some mentioned, footwork was messed up especially at first.

- Serve was TERRIBLE :D

- My coach and another coach tried to play a match using left hand, that was the best TT standup comedy, too slow, lots lots of error, newbie top spin serve .. It's amazing to watch those really pro guys playing lefthand ..

That what I noticed .. I enjoyed the practice, and getting sweat as TT for my is more of a way for fun and keeping fit ..

Personally, I don't think my left hand ability could match my right ability even after a lot of training, but could get close to it .. that's just my personal opinion not "scientifically" proven :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic