FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Guess the rating - MVTTC Tournament

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2015 at 9:39am
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

Just an update on the list of things I needed to work on:

1.  Serve more frequently to the FH side 
In progress and working ok.
2.  Spin more and smash less 
I still have a problem here, related to #9 in that I rush it
3.  Don't crowd the table
Doing a little better on this due to my work on 5 and 6, but still a ways to go
4.  Continue the side spin if unsure of the spin on the serve
Long way to go here
5.  Be more aggressive
Working out very well thus far.
6.  Use the BH more
This is really the key to #5.  This has been working great and has opened up my game nicely
7.  Serve short more even if the longer serves aren't being attacked.  It may uncover a weakness
So far so good.  I realized that I abandoned one of my serves - my less talented version of the ma lin serve.  I don't know why I stopped using it, but I'm bringing it back.  For some reason, I loop my better against a push off that serve.
8.  After the 1st loop, consider taking a step back (related to #3)
In progress and working well.  I'm not getting caught with no time as often.  This has allowed for some nice rallies.
9.  Stay calm and stop rushing.
This will always be a struggle.

One minor change I made to force myself to use my BH more, is that I moved my service receive position a step or so to the right.  I can't believe I hadn't tried this before.  It forces me to use my BH, but it also opens up a lot more opportunities.  It's easier to get in position for the BH flip which allows me to be more aggressive and it puts me in a better spot to return serves to my FH side.  So effectively I've lessened the amount of movement required and covered more of the table in an aggressive way.  
Nice. All things covered... You are a penholder, right?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Sponsored Links

hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2015 at 10:18am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Nice. All things covered... You are a penholder, right?

I wouldn't says covered, but rather all are in progress.
Yes, I'm the penholder in the videos.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2015 at 10:47am
Don't be so disappointed in the match. It gave you a chance to display more of your shots. I liked it for that reason. This particular opponent had backspin issues that worked to your advantage. But his topspin play is a strength, though he had issues when you opened with heavy topspin. I think he is 1500 - 1700 until he learns to get down to attack the backspin ball rather than trying to do it with straight legs.

Good to see you are making progress. For #2/#9, the key is to focus on placement/control and moving your opponent, as opposed to trying to hit through them. Try controlled smashing or slow shots to precise points on the table with a focus on wide angles when possible or being able to hit two points on the table with the same body position. That's how I built up my weak forehand on the third ball so even when I didn't hit it hard, the threat of going down the line slowed down the opponent.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2015 at 11:05am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Don't be so disappointed in the match. It gave you a chance to display more of your shots. I liked it for that reason. This particular opponent had backspin issues that worked to your advantage. But his topspin play is a strength, though he had issues when you opened with heavy topspin. I think he is 1500 - 1700 until he learns to get down to attack the backspin ball rather than trying to do it with straight legs.

I had played him once in a club match over 9 months ago, so I knew that his strength was against topspin and was weaker against backspin.  He has a similar problem to one of mine in that he stands far too close to the table.  I put a lot of balls near the end line that drove him nuts.  You don't hear it in the video, but he mentioned white line numerous times during the match.  Any time I put it within a few inches of the white line it was my point.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2015 at 11:34am
You got the strategic vs tactical arguments going on.

What is effective for you to increase your playing level with time (means using some matches as practice) or what is good for you to win the match NOW. (Means screwing what is good for future to go with what will work in the match)

There is a balance somewhere, but when we go to tourneys, we are playing to win and training how to win, so the tactical side gets a lot more consideration. Once the tourney is over, it is a good idea to let the strategic side take the lead. Problem is you gotta be able to practice/train/have decent matchplay opportunities and doing it 1-2 times a week isn't gunna get it done to any quality or in a timely manner.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2015 at 11:50am
I look at my tournament results as a net positive.  I found a lot of things I have to work on, especially in tournament settings, that are essentially low hanging fruit.  Easy things to improve on that I can work on without a coach - which is good because the closest coach is over an hour away.  
Gaining some ratings points is nice, but the more important thing is that my rating is pretty accurate.  Most people think they are underrated, but I came in thinking that I was overrated.  Obviously there's still a ton of work to do, but knowing where I stand is a positive.

Edited by hookumsnivy - 02/02/2015 at 11:58am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2015 at 11:54am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

You got the strategic vs tactical arguments going on.

What is effective for you to increase your playing level with time (means using some matches as practice) or what is good for you to win the match NOW. (Means screwing what is good for future to go with what will work in the match)

There is a balance somewhere, but when we go to tourneys, we are playing to win and training how to win, so the tactical side gets a lot more consideration. Once the tourney is over, it is a good idea to let the strategic side take the lead. Problem is you gotta be able to practice/train/have decent matchplay opportunities and doing it 1-2 times a week isn't gunna get it done to any quality or in a timely manner.
I agree with this on the whole - it's much easier to get quick improvement if you practice and play more in a week, because that usually means more practice time.  That said, I know people who only play twice a week, about 3 hours each day/time and are 1800 (and they got there largely doing that).  And there is a lot of off the table work one can do, especially floor serves , that can improve racket head speed away from the table.

With 6 hours a week, the key is to spend most of the time doing the right things, and at least 1-3 of those hours has to be spent hitting/spinning the ball properly with a trained partner/coach and learning the proper technique.  The rest of the hours can be spent on matchplay.  The real problem is that most people just want to play matches rather than hit 20 forehands in a row or to serve and receive 20 times to the same spot on the table over and over.  But if you have the table and you find that guy, who whether through multiball or good practice consistency, is willing to hit those 20 or 30 forehands, just practice with him and both of you can work on getting your shot quality up by trying to get more and more spin and pace over time (there are many ways of measuring the quality of your ball). 
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2015 at 9:46am
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

I look at my tournament results as a net positive.  I found a lot of things I have to work on, especially in tournament settings, that are essentially low hanging fruit.  Easy things to improve on that I can work on without a coach - which is good because the closest coach is over an hour away.  
Gaining some ratings points is nice, but the more important thing is that my rating is pretty accurate.  Most people think they are underrated, but I came in thinking that I was overrated.  Obviously there's still a ton of work to do, but knowing where I stand is a positive.

You were not over-rated going in. You are potentially under-rated a bit. You are showing fight vs players 100-200-300 points above your level.

I gotta say my results in the tourney were much better than I though. I expected to make the SEMIS in each event, but ended up making 2 finals, including my first ever Open final.

My last three tourneys I have dropped points considerable. Yet, they were outstanding results in my eyes. I made U1900 final and won, made U2000 final and lost, and made Open and lost.

Going as far as you can go in a tourney for the events at your level and one above your level are better indicators than just the pure rating. By the rating, my playing level has gone downhill in a hurry (and I agree it has) but surprisingly, I have performed better than I should be expected in tourneys given my lower skill level currently from not playing but once a month the last 1.5 years.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic