Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback, please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Claudiu84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudiu84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feedback, please!
    Posted: 03/31/2016 at 3:15am
Here are some training practice with my best TTfriend. I would like to receive some feedback and some tips for my BH loop, that is not as consistent like me FH. My setup is Xiom Vega PRO, with T05 on FH and T64fx on BH. Also please feel free to criticize all the thing you may seem wrong or bad in my technique.
Sorry that i did not edit those videos, I didn't know how.
https://youtu.be/7gecLYfm-D0
https://youtu.be/_p0SKER6DoA
https://youtu.be/IA_nrwT333k
Sponsored Links

Claudiu84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudiu84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2016 at 3:19am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gecLYfm-D0&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p0SKER6DoA&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA_nrwT333k&feature=youtu.be
Claudiu84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudiu84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2016 at 4:00am
I forgot to mention, I am the smaller guy, in the black t-shirt...
wintermute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wintermute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2016 at 5:46am
I'm probably not one to give feedback on technique (having been out of the game for 30 years, and being back at beginner level at the moment), but I think that the first video gives a better view of you playing.   When you are at the camera end of the table in the second two  you can see balls going on or off the table but not much of how you are hitting them.

On the backhand in the first minute of the first video, my comment would be what my dad always said to me, you need to follow through.  I think You seem to be pulling up short after hitting, seems a little rigid.

Did you intend to post different videos in the second post, as they appear to be the same three as the first post.  Nice rally around 1:40 in the second video :)

Take my comments with a large grain of salt! :)

Tony.
Any intelligence I may appear to have is purely artificial!
training: vintage blade, 729 cream transcend 1.5mm BH and FH
fun: 729 focus snipe III 2.1mm FH & BH, blade you don't want to know ;)
Claudiu84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudiu84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2016 at 6:26am
Yes, indeed, my BH stroke is kind of rigid and incomplete, i am struggling to make it flow, especially at looping underspin... to follow trough, as you said...
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2016 at 9:26am
Have you seen this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgvxkRaSZQk

I think you should learn the tick-whip action in this video. Your BH lacks the first part of the tick. Also, you should try using your body/leg and weight transfer more, rather than using only your arm. 

Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2016 at 9:45am
I am going to embed the videos for you, OP.  More people will see your videos and you will get more responses.

USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
Claudiu84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudiu84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2016 at 9:56am
Thank you, RInger84, I didn't know how to do it!

@balldance: Yes, i know, that's I have said 2 post earlier, my stroke is kind of rigid, i don't have the wipe move, i'm working at this, thank you for video. The problem is not at topspining the ball with topspin on it, is looping the ball with underspin on it...
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2016 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Claudiu84 Claudiu84 wrote:

Thank you, RInger84, I didn't know how to do it!

@balldance: Yes, i know, that's I have said 2 post earlier, my stroke is kind of rigid, i don't have the wipe move, i'm working at this, thank you for video. The problem is not at topspining the ball with topspin on it, is looping the ball with underspin on it...

The strokes for BH topspin against topspin and against backspin/underspin are very similar. Once you are good with this whip movement, your BH will get much better with both topspin and backspin balls. You only need the adjust the angle of the bat/swing and the contact depending on the spin of the incoming ball. The bat needs to open more, the swing needs to be more upward to "lift" the backspin ball and the contact should be thinner/finer.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2016 at 2:07pm
Strokes/movements look pretty good.  Just need some tuning and you are fine.

With the elbow staying where it is now, try to draw your forearm closer to the chest/stomach when playing the backhand to give it more space to accelerate before contact.  Also try to time your swing in sync with the trunk rotation.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2016 at 10:32pm
You need to tighten up your service transition. You are missing allot of third balls because you bring your right leg around waaaaay to slowly after the serve. It makes a big slow half circle. You are getting pressured when the service return comes back because, frequently, you have not completed your transition to ready position before the ball is struck. A good rule of thumb is to be fully in the ready position by the time the second bounce of your serve hits the table. This will give you much more time to read the other players shot. Snap your legs/feet around and into position. 
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
Claudiu84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudiu84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 1:55am
THank you all, I appreciate all of them, it's hard to see by yourself where I go wrong and especially, what I must do to make it right.

@V-Griper: You are right, many times I am surprised by the adversary return, being out of position. I know me feet are lazy at service, I will try to get in position ASAP.

@balldance: Yes, I know that, but for me is impossible to do the same movement on both tops against tops and tops against backspin. I have tried, I can not to that. Do not misunderstand me, I can lift the ball, indifferently how much backspin it has. The problem is that I want to make a good stroke, with decent speed and spin, not an slow and easy shot, easy to kill by the opponent.

@zeio: For the moment, on the BH swing there is no rotation of the trunk :(...still much more to work about that...Thank you for your post!
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 12:56pm
Claudiu84,

I am not a high level player so take that into consideration when reading my comment.

One difference I see between your Bh loop against underspin and some of the instructional videos I have seen is in the angle of the forearm.   Against topspin your forearm is very horizontal (a good thing) and the movement of the wrist and forearm is primarily forward (again a good thing).  Against underspin the stroke looks much the same.  You do drop the hand slightly below your elbow level, but not much.  To get the racket low you lower your body and your arm, but the racket never gets really low.

What I have seen in instructional videos is that the racket is taken back so that the forearm (and the racket tip) are almost pointing straight down.  The elbow has to move up and to the left (relative to your backswing against topspin) in order to allow this positioning.  This position insures that the wrist snap and forearm motion will naturally be more up at contact than the swing used against topspin.  Because of this you can add a little more forward motion (for power) and still have enough up motion to lift the underspin. 

Check out some instructional videos or videos of better players and look how their racket position at the end of their backswing compares to yours.  I think you will see that they have the racket lower, racket tip pointed more downward,  forearm more vertical (elbow higher and to left) than you do.

You are a much better player already than I am so use your best judgement when considering what I am talking about.

Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic