FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Feet position

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bigreddawgie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigreddawgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feet position
    Posted: 08/18/2006 at 1:13am
I have a question on feet position.  WHen a player is in ready position or even in looping posiiton, what direction should your toes be pointing?  Several ppl have told me to point them forward, but for some reason i cant move like that or bend my knees.  When i point my feet out like this \   /, i can bend my knees and move a tad better.  but still my footwork is still slow.  when i walk, my toes point out in that direction also, which is not suppose to be the correct way to walk.  Extra info:  i have flat feet.  which position should be the correct way?
Sponsored Links

O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2006 at 1:47am

i think whatever seems natural for you because you will not be staring at your feet if they are pointing in the right direction in the middle of a rally.  you haven't found what you can do with your footwork so being slow does not really mean you are always going to loose to a fast player.

BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2006 at 1:42pm
Maybe they should point a litle straighter, but key points are:
crouch with weight forward on front of feet:
eg knees above toes. shoulders above slightly forward of knees. Feet should be a little wider than shoulders provided you are athletic enough.
Next weight should be to the front and the inside of each foot, so that the right foot is ready to push you to the left and the the left to send you to the right.
If you are a right hander as you execute a fh drive ideally the right toe would point to the side towards about where you contacted the ball. you would have sunk your weight on to that knee. Then used that power to throw your weight forward through the ball. The left toe will slide forward in a direction parallel to the path the ball travels. dont get too sideways before you hit the ball. Its weight going forward that does this. Practice fh from bh corner to bh corner as this is wthe direction the forehand footwork is simplest. Its a bit more complicated fh to fh as it can lead beginners to going across the ball.
Bear in mind if you are not an athletic person, by concentrating on touch play and control and studying your opponents weakness you can have successful career by using those attributes to make your opponent do the work. In that case a more upright relaxed stance can help you with blocking. Just get dynamic on the sitters! You may not get to world champ that way but you can certainly be a force in your local league!
Like in Perl programming theres more than one way to do it!
hope this helps
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2006 at 4:32pm
I agree that whatever is natural is the best. Some people take a ready position that isn't use by many. That's not wrong. Don't Ma Long and Deng Yaping take a left foot forward stand?
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2006 at 4:35pm
I was taught left foot forward slightly during ready position, same for volleyball- helps you move laterally
bigreddawgie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigreddawgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2006 at 7:33pm

when u mean forward, do u also mean parallel with right foot?

also antoher ques, when u go inside the table to push a underspin ball on backhand, do u go in with your right foot or left foot? 

fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2006 at 8:23pm
i mean your left heel is aligned with your right toe. i try to step in with the right foot on all pushes, but i don't need to move that much b/c i have long arms (READ: lazy
azrin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2006 at 11:59pm
its best with either foot slightly forward depending on what type of shot you are going to do, if it a bh shot of a right hander then the left foot shall be move slightly forward to counter balance your hand movement and vice versa...but the key thing is that with your either foot put slight forward than the other your are not pinned in your original position.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic