FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Unsealing a sealed blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unsealing a sealed blade
    Posted: 01/25/2017 at 7:30pm
Suggestions?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

Saitama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saitama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 7:44pm
sanding paper?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 9:23pm
What sealer did you use?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 9:59pm
Maybe. But some products could interact covalently with the wood, and some polymers that are formed by sealers are resistant to the solvents. Depends on what he used. In the worst case like polyurethane he has to sand the blade and hope it didnt penetrate too deep. If it is lacquer, it comes off easy.
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 10:31pm
nail-color remover can removed lacquer but it made the color fade a little.
put some remover on the cosmetic cotton sheet(that girl use) and rub the lacquer. 

Edited by Crowsfeather - 01/25/2017 at 10:31pm
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 10:45pm
Please get a very fine graded sand paper, even though it will take time. You won't cause much damage very quickly. More importantly why do you want to unseal.
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 11:30pm
I second the sandpaper recommendation as its safe.  You won't get all of the sealer off but you can thin it out.  On the blades that I've sealed I usually just use one or two layers, then sand it back down a bit.  What blade?
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2017 at 12:22am
Once I used solvent to remove the seal, but the printed words on the face of the blade came off too.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2017 at 1:03pm
I'm going to suggest to use Naphta to dissolve most of the lacquer and then use fine sand paper to remove the remaining leftover.
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2017 at 1:42pm
Nitro thinner cellulosique outside with gloves and mask. Even deep dealings goes away

https://www.brico.be/fr/salle-de-bain-cuisine-intérieur/entretien-ménager/produits-d'entretien/thinner-cellulosique-forever-1-l/1555919

it must exist in the USA

Never sand a blade !!!

Edited by kakapo - 01/26/2017 at 1:47pm
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2017 at 2:03pm
The chemistry of what you can do and whether it will work depends entirely on what was used to seal the blade.  I have to emphasize this.  Jacek, if you see this thread, please chime in (Jacek is an organic chemist).

Sealers can get into the pores where they then react with each other to form a hard polymer.  Sometimes that polymer can be dissolved in certain solvents and sometimes it can't.  It those deposits are soluble, you can unseal the blade.

Some sealers are going to form covalent chemical bonds with the wood fibers (as well as with each other as they dry).  Those will be essentially permanent (or at least impossible to completely remove).  They cross-link the cellulose fibers that make up wood, making it harder and stronger.  In that case you either have to live with it, or remove the portion of the wood that is irreversibly attached to the sealer molecules (by sanding).  How much wood is bound up with the sealer (how much you have to sand) depends on how deep the sealing reagent permeated the wood.  So there is no one size fits all solution to this problem.  It is one reason why I don't recommend polyurethane, for example.  It is not going to come off entirely with a solvent.

I still recommend my hairspray technique.  It never produces this problem.  Revolution makes a sealer that is basically a lacquer.  It comes in water soluble solution and is easy to remove.  In fact, it is so easy to remove that after a relatively small number of glue jobs, you may need to reapply it.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2017 at 2:34pm
Thanks, guys.  I bought a used blade a while back and for some reason, I didn't realize from the pics that it was sealed.  The sealed blade is about 10 grams heavier than the other version I have and I don't think that is normal.  I also don't believe in sealing blades generally.

I might share a picture if I can find some time - it's not an urgent or burning desire.  Just something I was curious about.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Vlad0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2017 at 3:38am
Originally posted by Crowsfeather Crowsfeather wrote:

put some remover on the cosmetic cotton sheet(that girl use) and rub the lacquer. 
I did this on all my 5 blades and with sandpaper 2000 grid lightly for finish. Even though i used very very thin layer (you can't say that there is a sealer watching it) applied with sponge water based expensive sealer 50-50 proportion, i see big difference in the playing characteristics now. Will never seal a blade in my life again!
TB ALC 86gr + D09c/T05
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2017 at 4:32am
Originally posted by Vlad0 Vlad0 wrote:

Originally posted by Crowsfeather Crowsfeather wrote:

I did this on all my 5 blades and with sandpaper 2000 grid lightly for finish. Even though i used very very thin layer (you can't say that there is a sealer watching it) applied with sponge water based expensive sealer 50-50 proportion, i see big difference in the playing characteristics now. Will never seal a blade in my life again!

Which blade did you seal and unseal? Can you elaborate the BIG difference in playing characteristics?
sidespinBH View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 7:51pm
Hi all hope you enjoy your Christmas holidays!!

I have the same problem too
I want to remove the sealing or lacquer from a used blade that I purchased
You can see the colour difference from blade's face and wings ( which the lacquer wasn't applied )
Also the blade's face sounds harder when touching it in comparison with wings where the sound is smoother lighter
Should I unseal it ?
Unfortunately I don't know what the first buyer used for protection and I don't want to ruin my blade by sandpapering it it's an expensive blade

So any suggestions that really work ?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 7:52pm
Also I don't want to remove the colours and printing from blades face
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Suggestions?
don't?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 8:45pm
Easy safe method that really works 100% ?
zeropong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeropong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 9:06pm
Generally acetone is the best, your average lacquer will come off with acetone and it does not leave a residue. Just put it on a cloth and remove just enough to fully expose the wood grain and wave dry.

EDIT: removing lacquer completely will generally jack up the logo.

Edited by zeropong - 12/26/2017 at 9:11pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 9:12pm
Can't we have both ?
I want my blades in perfect condition as long as I play them
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 9:15pm
Will acetone leave the wood untouched?
To its first state at least 95 % ?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 9:22pm
Do you guys think I should leAve it as It is ?
Don't want to mess round with expensive butterfly woods if method is not sure and easy
Will it be so much different in playing characteristics?

Also I want to post something else another blade that was purchased new 89 grams was lightly sealed you could barely say that it was sealed ,also the edge of the handle as well
Well after 4 months of play it weights 92 grams
How can you explain this ?
Wasn't the sealing not good so my sweat penetrated much?
henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2017 at 2:44am
If the blade is in good condition. I would actually sell it and buy a new unsealed blade. There are just too many things that can go wrong when you’re trying to remove the sealant.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2017 at 10:42am
Wet cloth + hot iron will melt the sealants, wipe the sealant off blade. Done many times with good results.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidespinBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2017 at 1:34pm
Thanks guys
I won't remove the sealing because it doesn't worth the risk
I don't think 1 layer of donic sealer changes playing characteristics so much
The blade plays fine
But in my next new blade I will not seal from the start
donS7er View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donS7er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2017 at 4:12pm
I used 1 layer donic sealer for my zjk alc (just the head not the handle), i use dianchi wbg & often reglueing my rubbers (4-5 weeks), i can see the wbg little bit peel off the sealer, because i like the "fashion" more so i seal it again a thin one, just to make sure the wbg will not cause splintering or damaging the head logo when im open the rubbers.
maybe if im not seal it again, the wbg will peel off all the sealer in 3-4 times reglueing.
So i think as long the sealer is a tennis table blade sealer it will peel off by it self by time you open the rubbers.
https://www.facebook.com/dons7er
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic