Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Good rubbers for lower-end intermediate?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good rubbers for lower-end intermediate?
    Posted: 02/09/2017 at 4:23pm
I'm trying to see what some good rubbers are for lower/mid rated players to learn on -- is it wise to put someone on a tensor like tenergy 05 fx? Or are there some better rubbers to develop with?

My problem with some of the tensors is they seem to teach lazy strokes, where you can kind of "bat" the ball back fairly easily. But on the same token, are rubbers like butterfly drive or tackiness chop worth learning on either? 

Maybe chinese tacky stuff? Something relatively slow?
Sponsored Links

Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 4:29pm
Get a Coppa, mark V or sriver with a primo off- or something like that. And of course both sides same thickness and rubber. Maybe your player will have a better backhand than forehand. Don't limit from the start with a slower rubber on the backhand.

Don't take a tensor or so, they shouldn't learn that half-hearted strokes are enough.

And start with 1.8-2.0, don't make them too slow from the start.

Edited by Fabian1890 - 02/09/2017 at 4:30pm
cje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 5:12pm
I usually suggest  Palio HK1997 (BIOTECH). have had about 6 sheets -plays really nicely and consistently. 
http://www.murrayfieldtt.com/

YEO/ Galaxy E-3/ FH: Skyline III Neo / BH: Palio HK 1997
DarkerMyLove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 5:55pm
You can check out 999t which is a 5 dollar tacky Chinese rubber that is slow and consistent. A very linear rubber that rewards full strokes but not as troublesome on the forehand as h3 neo can be (for me)

There is a thread on it about 10 posts down from this one 😁
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Fabian1890 Fabian1890 wrote:

Get a Coppa, mark V or sriver with a primo off- or something like that. And of course both sides same thickness and rubber. Maybe your player will have a better backhand than forehand. Don't limit from the start with a slower rubber on the backhand.

Don't take a tensor or so, they shouldn't learn that half-hearted strokes are enough.

And start with 1.8-2.0, don't make them too slow from the start.
+1 for Mark V or Sriver.
Garypham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garypham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 7:50pm
I've had good luck with LKT Rapid Speed (can be bought on aliexpress for ~12 dollars per sheet shipped).  Very highly rated affordable rubber and often compared as a good alternative to Mark V, very similar playing characteristics and fairly light weight. 

Another good combo that I currently have on 2 of my racquets is Hurricane 3 Neo on the forehand and Focus Snipe 3 on the BH.  Hurricane 3 Neo can be had for around 16 dollars shipped, and Focus 3 snipe can be had for around 10-11 dollars. 
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2017 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Garypham<br>Another good combo that I currently have on 2 of my racquets is Hurricane 3 Neo on the forehand and Focus Snipe 3 on the BH.  Hurricane 3 Neo can be had for around 16 dollars shipped, and Focus 3 snipe can be had for around 10-11 dollars.  <br>[/QUOTE Garypham
Another good combo that I currently have on 2 of my racquets is Hurricane 3 Neo on the forehand and Focus Snipe 3 on the BH.  Hurricane 3 Neo can be had for around 16 dollars shipped, and Focus 3 snipe can be had for around 10-11 dollars. 
[/QUOTE wrote:

Good choice of rubbers. Both last a long time and are relatively ( so ) cheap. Thumbs Up

penholderxxx

Good choice of rubbers. Both last a long time and are relatively ( so ) cheap. Thumbs Up

penholderxxx
Iloveplayingtabletennis
hungry cow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2017 at 10:20am
Absolutely do not use any kind of tensor or offensive rubber for beginner or intermediate players as it prevents the learning of using the body and full strokes and cripples learning the short game.

Sriver, Sriver EL, or Mark V in 1.8 to 2.0mm rubbers are excellent can't go wrong choices that are good for every stroke with no weaknesses.

If money is an issue there are cheaper alternatives but if the classic rubbers can be afforded stick with them as they are tried and true with no weaknesses.  H3 neo is also a good choice as it is very linear and not fast unless speed is properly generated but I think the classic rubbers would still be better at least for a beginner as the H3 can be a bit more reactive to spin and can be a tad bit more technique specific but not nearly so much as some people make it out to be.

Stick a classic rubber a classic popular all around rated 5 ply wood blade and you have the perfect setup to learn properly and advance.  The focus can then be on using properly body rotation from the ground up to generate true power and control.
70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsson

FH - Mark V 2.0

BH - Donic Bluefire JP 03 2.0
coffeeholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coffeeholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2017 at 11:32am
Beginner level, relatively slow and a handle named obesechopper put together make me think of Gambler Reflectoid. It's slow, easy to play and great to chop with (you can loop with it too FYI) :D
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha | Yasaka Rakza 7 | Xiom OmegaIV Euro
Rubbers don't offer control. YOU are the control!
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2017 at 11:58am
Call a TT Retailer in your country to get ideas then compare to the responses here. We all would like to see what they would have to say.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic