Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good table tennis shoes (that lasts)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2017 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Chairman Meow Chairman Meow wrote:

I've tried basketball shoes, volleyball shoes, badminton shoes, handball shoes, tennis shoes, tt shoes, you name it. I have tried asics, mizuno, yonex, bty, etc. It doesn't matter what I wear. After a month, I wear through the sole. I use them exclusively on Taraflex flooring, and take good care of them. Despite this, the soles are gone within a month.

I play every day, 3-4 hours a day. The amount of money I am putting in to shoes is almost as much as if I bought a new sheet of Tenergy every month. It is ridiculous, I am sure that this is a case of 'engineered weakness'.

Adjusting for play time difference, then I should be changing my Asics Gel Rocket volleyball shoes every 3 months or so. Which I don't, and even when I eventually do after ~18 months, it's because of the holes in top mesh etc., the sole remains fine. 

I wonder if Taraflex is very abrasive (I play mostly on wooden floor), or there is something in your technique that promotes excessive wear - perhaps too much foot twisting/rotation/sliding?
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Sponsored Links

Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2017 at 5:59pm
I move a lot. My forehand loop/kill is my best shot, so I try to use my fh as much as possible. I am also taller than average, and have long arms, so I need to move more. I play very often as well, and Taraflex is abrasive.
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2017 at 6:27pm

I move a lot. My forehand loop/kill is my best shot, so I try to use my fh as much as possible. I am also taller than average, and have long arms, so I need to move more. I play very often as well, and Taraflex is abrasive.

It sounds like the problem is with the floor, not you shoes.
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2017 at 11:14pm
It could be that, but many people at the club use the same shoes as me, and theirs last for 6+ months. It must be my play time and technique.
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
wanhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 12:27am
Buy China Warriors canvas shoe ..US10...durable as hell...
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 7:22am
Asics Gel Domain 3.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

It sounds like the problem is with the floor, not you shoes.

Generally, taller people need to move LESS, not more. LOL
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 3:55pm
"I've tried basketball shoes, volleyball shoes, badminton shoes, handball shoes, tennis shoes, tt shoes, you name it"  have you tried outdoor tennis shoes which I assume the soles will be harder to wear out?
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 4:33pm
This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart, and I'm sure many players on this forum. It's hard to find good TT shoes because you usually have to order them online and then if they don't fit just right you have to send them back. I currently have about 3 pairs of shoes for TT that fit pretty well but they are just slightly too large, but I didn't send them back in time, so I wear them sometimes in my basement. I've given away a couple pairs of TT shoes that I wasn't wearing so at least someone got some good use out of them. 
The 2 best pair of TT shoes that I've had over the last 4-5 years were a pair of Yonex badminton shoes that I bought at a Chinese mall in Vancouver, and a pair of Adidas indoor court shoes that are like volleyball shoes. They both lasted a couple of years. Many of the players at my club wear the Asics shoes as they seem to fit pretty well and have good cushioning. Many of the Stiga and Yasaka shoes don't have as much cushion and therefore don't last as well.
I would definitely stay away from basketball shoes as they are definitely too heavy.

Good luck,
Dave
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 5:57pm
I still think the Mizuno Wave Drive series is the best.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart, and I'm sure many players on this forum. It's hard to find good TT shoes because you usually have to order them online and then if they don't fit just right you have to send them back. I currently have about 3 pairs of shoes for TT that fit pretty well but they are just slightly too large, but I didn't send them back in time, so I wear them sometimes in my basement. I've given away a couple pairs of TT shoes that I wasn't wearing so at least someone got some good use out of them. 
The 2 best pair of TT shoes that I've had over the last 4-5 years were a pair of Yonex badminton shoes that I bought at a Chinese mall in Vancouver, and a pair of Adidas indoor court shoes that are like volleyball shoes. They both lasted a couple of years. Many of the players at my club wear the Asics shoes as they seem to fit pretty well and have good cushioning. Many of the Stiga and Yasaka shoes don't have as much cushion and therefore don't last as well.
I would definitely stay away from basketball shoes as they are definitely too heavy.

Good luck,
Dave

For me only TT shoes will work since I need them to be flexible enough that I can kind of dig my toes in. 

Once you find something you really like, it is a good idea to buy as many pairs as you can afford.  Because sure as anything they will be discontinued soon and if you wear a larger size it can be really hard to find them.
book4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote book4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 10:36pm
I need a pair TT shoes best for protecting knees. 

What is the shoes used by professional TT players? They play more hours than most of us here, probably know how to select suitable TT shoes.

Regarding shoes for other sports, I think badminton shoes are more close to TT needs. By the way, badminton players side steps a lot, esp. bigger side steps than TT players. 

Volleyball players jump a lot. 

Edited by book4all - 08/15/2017 at 10:38pm
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 7:54am
Professionals dont want much support actually. They want light shoes.

See indoor football shoes,they are like socks.
Support is key for those with various issues, those not in their teens or 20s and those with a belly.

Most pros dont fall in that category, they want fast, thin shoes. Worry about knees after retirement

Pros equipment is typically unbalanced. See an f1 car. When you want peak performance sacrifices must be made, starting with safety and durability.

See high string tensions in badminton, or speed glued rubber in the past...or PEDs.

Get wave medals, care with sizing. Great support and durability. Wave drives are less so (still good but not exceptional in those 2 traits)

Edited by Basquests - 08/16/2017 at 8:00am
Arpi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arpi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

Get wave medals, care with sizing. Great support and durability. Wave drives are less so (still good but not exceptional in those 2 traits)

What do you mean by "care with sizing"?
Do they run on smaller size, are they too narrow etc, unfortunately I cant find a store selling them in my area and can't try them on. I will have to order them online.
htfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 11:37am
get your feet measured properly ie mondo measurement (length and width of feet at longest/widest point). something like this should help : https://www.snowleader.com/media/wysiwyg/SIDAS_Printable_sizer.pdf

then send these measurements to the online reseller or manufacturer and they should be able to either give you the appropriate mondopoint measurements for each shoe size or be able to recommend which size you should get. this is made way easier if they make sizes available in mondopoint, the only wrinkle is the width measurement ... you will most likely have to find that out from the manufacturer or someone at the retailer who actually knows what they are talking about.

Edited by htfu - 08/16/2017 at 11:38am
denial ... it's not just a river in north africa
AdamTT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdamTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2017 at 12:42pm
I've got mizuno wave drive 7 for one year and they are still fine while I'm training 6 times a week atleast 2 hours. I highly recommend them.
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2017 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Arpi Arpi wrote:

Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

What do you mean by "care with sizing"?
Do they run on smaller size, are they too narrow etc, unfortunately I cant find a store selling them in my area and can't try them on. I will have to order them online.

They run large.

I am a 28.5 in JP (i.e. centimetres) and 44.5 in EU [10.5US / 10 UK] in my nikes etc.

I ordered 28.5 JP [which was 44 EU] in my mizuno's. They aren't too large for me, but i'd say i'm a 'big' 28.5 [but not a 29.0].

Some people have bought mizunos and they have simply been too big for them. So careful. Definitely don't order too big, just order your size in CM, or 0.5 cm smaller than your size. Other than that, they have 5 star reviews everyone and are much loved

Edited by Basquests - 08/17/2017 at 4:14pm
Arpi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arpi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2017 at 4:23pm
Thanks
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2017 at 6:49pm
For me the mizuno run tight, and the build up on the sides of the soles rub me wrong.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2017 at 6:54pm
You got that right Baal. How many times have I told myself to buy a couple pairs of shoes when I find something that fits well, but never end up doing it. The indoor court Adidas shoes fit me so well that I ordered off of Amazon, now a couple years later they are no longer available. I swear next time I find something I really like I'm going to buy 2-3 pairs of them. Cry
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic