Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - For the J-Penners : the length of a J-Pen handle
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

For the J-Penners : the length of a J-Pen handle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For the J-Penners : the length of a J-Pen handle
    Posted: 08/14/2017 at 10:54pm
I am wondering why and how the length of a J-Pen handle is determined by the manufacturers. I think it is unnecessarily too long.
Any idea what would be the effect on play if I take off 25mm off the handle ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Sponsored Links

wanhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 12:25am
Yr racket will feel head heavier...
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 3:38am
Have you watched how KTS turned his Jpen forehand ( right side ) into a backhand chop/block
* on his leftside when he was already out of position ?
Of course, the longer handle is also meant to counter the head heaviness of the blade.
Of course, I may also be wrong.

penholderxxx

* shakehand style

Edited by penholderxxx - 08/15/2017 at 3:59am
Iloveplayingtabletennis
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 7:28am
I am thinking of the same thing, if I cut the handle, the balance will shift, but sometimes it is annoying to have protruding handle Smile
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 8:42am
If you really intend to 'murder' any of your treasures, please let us know beforehand.
We will see if anyone of us can make you an offer. LOL

penholderxxx
Iloveplayingtabletennis
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 8:45am
Head Heavy. Bad idea. The more weight to the handle, the better.
zeroencore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeroencore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 9:38am
Hey aeoliah, mind if I ask what is your playing style? 

JPen (square type) is head heavy because of its center of gravity shift to blade head, JPen will benefit from this head heavy design when hitting it hard as the centrifugal force will certainly greater. However the trade-off is the blade is relative harder to control. BTY JPen is mainly "DRIVE" type, or what it say top-spin minded (e.g. looping). It has the cork grip of 92mm x 20mm, blade size of 163mm x 135mm (length x width) which originates from Kim Taek Soo playing style, deadly top-spin looping, accompanied with excellent footwork. The footwork is harder to achieve, I still reckon KTS has the best footwork among all famous JPenholders.    
If you search through the web, 
TSP Dynam has cork grip of 90mm x 20mm, and the blade shape is 165mm x 135mm (length x width). 
Nittaku Excellent-A JPen has cork grip of 95mm x 20mm, and the blade shape is 162mm x 130mm (length x width).

Hence, I may summarize that:
(1) Greater length will increase the stability of push & block, and more deadly stroke, however harder to control. 
(2) Greater width will increase the power of drive, topspin & underspin looping, however decrease in precision of ball placement.
(3) JPen that is wider and longer will have shorter cork grip; JPen that is narrower and shorter will have longer cork grip. It is about balance. 
(4) "Round" type JPen will have greater control and stability, which is similar to CPen playing characteristics.       

Instead of following the trend, I truly hope you can find your own, unique playing style suit for you. 

Edited by zeroencore - 08/15/2017 at 9:45am
BTY Special + T64
Feedback
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 10:09am
Thanks for your information, zeroencore, I play offensive, more as a hitter but I am still at beginner's level.
I have the Violin Round J-Pen as well as the Square (mostly I use the square type).
From your list above, I have RSM ZLC, Chinese ULC, Nittaku Excellent A.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

zeroencore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeroencore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 10:52am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

Thanks for your information, zeroencore, I play offensive, more as a hitter but I am still at beginner's level.
I have the Violin Round J-Pen as well as the Square (mostly I use the square type).
From your list above, I have RSM ZLC, Chinese ULC, Nittaku Excellent A.

Understood. I am also, like to hit the ball more than spin the ball, I mean I like to stroke forehand topspin & underspin rather than looping for many rounds. I never use Acuda P2 before so cannot give any user experience on this rubber. I would recommend you Tibhar EL-P, Yasaka Rakza 7 soft, if you can control better, go for Xiom Omega IV Pro, or Tenergy 64. 

But rule of thumb is always hard blade combined with soft rubber, soft blade combined with hard rubber. And always use maximum thickness (2.1mm), unless you play reverse penhold. 

Single-ply wood is different from those ZLC, ULC, Tamca 5000, ALC, etc. Since you have mentioned you are beginner level, just stick to the one you like and work harder so that you can improve your techniques slow & steady Smile. You will struggle on adaptation if you keep switching blades (ULC, ZLC, ALC, one-ply) all the time.

There is no best and only blade ever made, you have no need to chase new technology or gimmick, the blade which suit you (make you play comfortable and confidently) is the best blade.   

BTY Special + T64
Feedback
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2017 at 11:16pm
Thanks for your advise, actually I am now struggling to use only one J-Pen and put all my other J-pens in the cupboard. Smile
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic