Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to handle quick smashes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to handle quick smashes?
    Posted: 11/17/2006 at 1:31am

I have some problems with one of my friends smashes - not top spin loop. He servers shot with side and top spin to my backhand. I hardly get the ball and return to the other side to his forhand. He suddently smashes with no spin to my forhand. Since I was close to the table returning his service on left side, I miss his shot on the right.

I tried different tactics against this player. I tried to chop by moving back from the table after I return his serve. Unless the chops has enough spin, he smashes with no spin. Is blocking the right approach to this kind of smashes?

Sponsored Links

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2006 at 4:39am
Unless you try to force a different shot he will keep 3rd balling you. For example a well placed flick to his backhand will force a weaker shot for you to attack.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2006 at 8:34am

Thats a good advise. I have hard time flipping to his backhand because the sidespin ball he serves has lot of spin, so it is very hard to angle to his left. I can get either to his FH or center of the table, still he will smash. As you advised I have to do something to prevent his 3rd ball attack.

Any other suggestions?

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2006 at 8:57am
The trick is work with the spin, not against it. By varying the spidespin you can force mistakes.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2006 at 9:26am
The other guys have covered preventing the 3rd ball, so heres how to deal with it when it comes
Get somebody who likes to flat smash to kill at you on one line from a counterhit situation. you stay close and block.
key points:
vertical racket face
flinch backward and upward with the bodyweight to take speed off.
make sure racket head is stable- flapping about produces errors.
RELAX
EYE ON BALL
BELIEVE
after twenty or sessions you'll notice a difference.
then incorporate that change of direction into yr practice. Maybe yr killer friend will give you this practice because it will help him ultimately to practice with someone who returns his kill
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2006 at 10:18pm

how close are you to the table anyways?  is the ball short or long?  if it's long or mid, learn how to kill them even if it has a lot of spin.  short balls just flip it, but try keeping your returns low.  side block his attacks to prevent him from attacking again.  if he forces you to be on defense, then step back to start lobbing his smashes.  vary your lobs like some are just going up and some has angled sidespin on them.

BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic