Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Copying service motion of pros- is it ok?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Copying service motion of pros- is it ok?
    Posted: 01/03/2007 at 2:27am
I just wanna ask is it perfectly acceptable to be influenced, or have a certain service motion which is copied by a certain player? eg. schlager, samsonov

Or is it better to find ur own service motion for that individuality and uniqueness of your own style/character?

Recently, ive been watching schlager and dima play and admittedly i have been copying for technical reasons ans other excuses including its cool look. Would i be called acopy cat or cheat?

Because ive seen some state players in my country where i can relate their service motion to someone pro player. Eg. i saw this kid serve exactly like liu guozheng
Sponsored Links

shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2007 at 2:38am
nothing wrong with that, but for people who watch lots of tt matches, they'd probably know the general spin of the pro's serve, and consequently if you serve the same thing, ur opponent may know how to deal with it
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2007 at 2:55am
yeh i guess so, so u guys find this acceptable?

man schlager is so cool with hes wind up and then reverse forehand pendulum!!OMG!@ keep in mind i cannot do this, still newb, i cannot do fh pendlum that very well, let alone a reverse one.

Im like a primorac, high toss bh service. relly fools the players at me club. i may say that i even imtate primoracs serve to the max. why? cause even i, a short 169 cm 17 yr old kid, does the sticking tongue and grunt noise.
deeptish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeptish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2007 at 2:59am
I dont completely agree with copying style of service motion of the pro. I copied waldner for a year now, and recently I have began to understand that the whole motion- preparation, serving, coming back to ready position; was difficult to follow. You have to consider all the 3 while coping. Now I find with a simpler motion I can impert better spin and placement and recovery.
Backhand: TSP Spectrol RED
Forehand: Sriver FX Black MAX ;
Butterfly Joneyer-H fL
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2007 at 3:05am
can it be used to improve ur service? cause well i used the conventional bh service preparation, i didnt really turn my whole body into it and everybody read my spin pretty well.

having seen dimitrji play his bh service against adrian crisan, i tried it out and proved very effective for its deception and spin.

AND one more thing, where can i find inspiration for finding my own thing? plz help, me ina big dilemma
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2007 at 5:54am
You have to know the general principals of the serve itself and then vary it or tweak it a bit to make it your own.

Lets look at the basic pendulum serve, boring. But did you know that by snapping your wrist back before contact you can vastly increase the amount of spin you can produce? Using this method you can forego using your waist at all, and by not using the snap produce less spin all with the same motion and contact point. (See Ma Lin, Timo Boll and Hao Shuai for top level exponents of this service style.)
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2007 at 7:18am
oh k, well sorry if im not at ur level guys, but im not up to that pendulum serve yet. Ive only just started [1 yr], putting more emphasis on the basics and getting rid of sh*tty habits [move wrist upon contact of ball, footwork not wide enough], so the bh service is all i have.

is it perefectly fine to have bh serve as ur main serve? cause i see dimitrji and primorac use it on pro level? what do u think?

Oh and one more thing, how the hell can u do sidespin or topspin on tomahawk serve?!?!?! i keep doin backspin damnit!
DTopSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTopSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2007 at 7:20am

A plus in copying pro's serves is that the pros have serves that are highly effective under pressure, so you will be probably be copying fairly good technique. Nothing wrong with a few personal tweaks though.

On the downside, the serves the pros use are linked to various follow up strokes and patterns - so if you don't have the ability to do the follow up, the serve won't help you.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2007 at 7:55am
As long as you're not learning to run before you can walk.  I would say learn to do some basic serves consistently with spin and no spin before you start worrying about deception.  I see a lot of people doing "pro" serves but they're not heavy enough to really worry about the deception.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2007 at 8:10am
yeh thx for that cole_ely. u make a good point. Its true all i do is bh serve, but plz tell me this guys, how do u do no spin on the bh serve, that looks like normal serve?
kmh888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmh888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2007 at 9:53am

hit the ball in the centre of the bat with the bat angle as if you were going to do a backspin serve,  and make sure u get a thick contact with the rubber...

thin contact gets you lots of spin.

Gatien Extra
FH: Hurricane Provincial
BH: Palio CJ800 Speed

Special thick glue
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 12:31am
ok i know this is a little off topic, but im practicing my serve on the floor. This may be a newb question, but how do i recognise that the ball has no spin. I did draw a line around the ball to indicate if its spinning or not, but when i do backspin, it doesnt spin that much,plz help
im kinda confused if my serve is back or no spin.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 12:45am
if someone may post a video of no spin, i would be very much obliged
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 1:17am
To do a true no-spin serve you have to impart extremely light backspin so that the bounce doesn't cause the ball to topspin instead. Since spin lessens with each bounce you will have a true no-spin serve once the opponent gets to receive it.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 1:34am
ohhhh k, so its ok to do just alittle bit of backspin.
yep, thats what i saw when practicing, very light backspin, with very little rotation.

Now another noob question, how do u create heavy backspin on bh, doesnt matter if its side spin or pure back.
GantZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GantZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 3:01am
You can practice on the carpet to see how much backspin you produce. The ball should always return back to you no matter how far you hit the ball. You shouldn't have to reach forward to grab the ball. Just pick it up at your feet. Also, heavy backspin should come back to you very fast.    
Equipment:
Petr Korbel
Sriver EL
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 7:44am
I agrre with shij421. its better to be original in the serves you actually use. Also beware the serves with a lot of moving parts because:
1. often they are easily memorable to opp so once hes read it he'll recognise it.
2. its easy to make mistakes because of the complex action

On the other hand a serve with a quick insignificant action can be difficult for opp but easy for you.
So once you have a serve action, develop it so you can do long short,right left fast slow spin no spin from same starting point.
Also practice 3rd ball. To do this you need partner. Usually I do this with up and coming player who has a bit of trouble with my serve but does get them back.
I dont worry about him learning to beat me because if you worry about that you'll never practise properly
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 10:58am

the way i see it is this:

copying the service of a pro is perfectly ok, provided you can actually do it.

that's not as easy as you might think.  firstly, it's extremely difficult to get a clear view of a pro's service motion(s) from every angle.  it's also difficult to get a clear, multi-angled view of a pro's service stance and their positioning with reference to the table.

when people are thinking about the serve, they frequently are just looking at the motion, but actually the stance and the table positioning are just as important.  if you don't get that right, the ball will never land where you want and, also, you won't be in the right place for the next ball.

finally, and probably most importantly, you need to know the motivation for doing the serve.  no pro has only one serve.  they have many serves that they do depending on the play they want to execute.

a lot of that depends on where the opponent is standing, what their stance is, how and where they hold the racket on the receive and, also, what the pro anticipates the receiver can and will do on the return.

it is quite complicated and if somehow you can figure it out without the actual pro (or someone else who, for whatever reason, knows how to do it) personally training you, then more power to you!!

sunny View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

the way i see it is this:

copying the service of a pro is perfectly ok, provided you can actually do it.

that's not as easy as you might think.  firstly, it's extremely difficult to get a clear view of a pro's service motion(s) from every angle.  it's also difficult to get a clear, multi-angled view of a pro's service stance and their positioning with reference to the table.

when people are thinking about the serve, they frequently are just looking at the motion, but actually the stance and the table positioning is just as important.  if you don't get that right, the ball will never land where you want and, also, you won't be in the right place for the next ball.

finally, and probably most importantly, you need to know the motivation for doing the serve.  no pro has only one serve.  they have many serves that they do depending on the play they want to execute.

a lot of that depends on where the opponent is standing, what their stance is, how and where they hold the racket on the receive and, also, what the pro anticipates the receiver can and will do on the return.

it is quite complicated and if somehow you can figure it out without the actual pro (or someone else who, for whatever reason, knows how to do it) personally training you, then more power to you!!

I agree with Takaki in its OK to copy pro's serve. You have to start somewhere to improve your serves and if that means trying to learn from someone who is good is a very good start. As Takaki mentioned you have limited tools to start with, agreed but at least you have started in the right direction. It will probably take you long, longer without Pro's coaching to get to his level of serve but you have started to move in the right direction. Given time, more insight, knowledge and grown TT thinking you will do it better with time.

So I am all for it that you copy pro's serve. But, keep practicing till you get good. In the meanwhile use your comfort zone serve or serve you are good at now during your matches. Add pros copy serves once you are better or good at them.

alink91 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alink91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 12:43pm

Personally, I think there is not a problem copying pros' serves. Lets face it, some of our original serves really suck. Where are we suppose to get the idea of a service? No matter how you create an original serve, its probably already taken. Better to copy a pro then some random person.

Furthermore, when we watch a pro serve we memorized in our mind what its suppose to look like. Which means if someone tried to serve like a pro and there is a slight detail that was missing we automatically think its original. I copy people's serves all the time but no one notices it. Its because I dont do literally everything a pro does and even if I tried, it doesnt look identical, so technically you are not doing everything they are doing. Which means once you get to a certain level there is no disadvantage to copying pros.

Theman, I think at your level you should concentrate on a consistent serve with a fair amount of spin first. Maybe once you have accomplished that and get to a higher level you can start to copy them. I agree with cole ely as long as you dont get too far ahead of yourself.

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 6:47pm
thx guys for the input, i guess ill just jave to learn my abc's before i can read. Well, as my play develops, so too will my service, but i guess right now im still in myinfant stages.

takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 8:01pm

one thing...  don't take my post as discouragement.  i think you actually HAVE to find a pro (or pros--it doesn't have to be just one, and, actually, it probably shouldn't be) to model your game after.  i'm just trying to tell you what to look for when you actually do look at a video.

all i'm saying is when you're look at somebody's serve, don't just look at the arm motion, cuz that doesn't even tell you half the story...

good luck!!!

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2007 at 9:45pm
thx takaaki, i guess ill have to look at the purpose of their serve motion, y they do this and to what extent will it help them in their 3rd and 5th ball attack. Damn, sooo much to think about. And yes im modeling my service after that german junior player Dima. He hides his bh until the last moment.
silence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2007 at 6:42am
I personally have many original serves and many that I have copied from pros.

As for our copying not being the same as the pros, well I will bring up something that was written by a famous cricketer( yes I know, most of you don't have any clue about cricket. So I will simplify it for you. ).

He said " When I was growing up I thought I looked like ( two famous cricketers) but I actually didn't. But what mattered was that I thought I did. Not copying them exactly. "

He then went on to say that copying somebody exactly was too time consuming and, for the most part, too hard. What I think he was saying was that it you are trying to copy somebody exactly you are endlessly going over the way it looks trying to look exactly like the pro, not focusing on the result. I know about this, my brother was trying to copy one pros loop and he spent a lot of time trying to get the look right. This is pointless, because you have different equipment and a different environment. So it is a waste of time trying to get the same look.

Just try to copy as best you can and try to get the same result.

It is good to try and copy the shots of pros but don't try to be perfectly the same, just try to get the same result. If you accidentally do something completely different and it works well then don't get rid of it just because it looks different. If the shot isn't working, then try to make it look more like the original.

As for having to copy a pro, I don't think that it is really necessary. It isn't very good for people trying to play a game that isn't popular, either.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2007 at 9:21am
silence, i do know bout cricket since ive watched the ashses in sydney, youve got agood point.
agooding2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agooding2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2007 at 10:00am
If you want to fool people with no spin you need to have a heavy spin serve that makes them worried.

Here's a good article on how to produce heavy underspin serves: http://www.rmcafee.com/Articles/2005/producingSpinServes.htm

-- Andrew
alink91 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alink91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2007 at 8:55pm

Originally posted by agooding2 agooding2 wrote:

If you want to fool people with no spin you need to have a heavy spin serve that makes them worried.

Here's a good article on how to produce heavy underspin serves: http://www.rmcafee.com/Articles/2005/producingSpinServes.htm

-- Andrew

Well I have trouble understand the 3rd and 4rth diagram. Is the solid line the side of your paddle? I doubt we are suppose to angle our paddle upward like that or else the ball will never make it over the net.

agooding2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agooding2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2007 at 9:19pm
Yes, try it if you stroke hard enough you can actually tip your racket away from vertical. It's good to get you out of the habit of stroking down, but instead stroking horizontally.

As Sean O'Neill, multiple time National U.S. champion says, "serve ONTO the table, not INTO the table." He described McAfee's article as "the correct way to serve heavy underspin."

-- Andrew
alink91 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alink91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2007 at 9:47pm

Originally posted by agooding2 agooding2 wrote:

Yes, try it if you stroke hard enough you can actually tip your racket away from vertical. It's good to get you out of the habit of stroking down, but instead stroking horizontally.

As Sean O'Neill, multiple time National U.S. champion says, "serve ONTO the table, not INTO the table." He described McAfee's article as "the correct way to serve heavy underspin."

-- Andrew

Oh, like that. I thought you meant like keep letting my racket go in that direction. I do that right now and one problem I have is that sometimes its a bit high or a bit long. Dont get me, wrong, I think its a great idea or else I wouldnt be using it. I also think that if you did the same thing at a less angle you might be able to get more spin but the ball would be longer.

agooding2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agooding2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2007 at 10:08pm
Yeah, you have to work on contacting the ball lower to keep it low and short.

I think it's more important to get the spin down and then work on those things rather than letting up on the spin to accomplish a low, short serve.

-- Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic