FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

help on receiving serves pls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help on receiving serves pls
    Posted: 01/27/2007 at 5:09am
well i had a hard time returning a side chop pendulum serve from a leftie penholder.. he serves on his backhand area and places it on my forehand which annoys me.. i can return it by mixing a spinny push with a diagonal blade position liek this / but he can attack it back.. the only thing ive done to return it without him attcking it back was to brush it down the line to his forehand but its too risking.. if i loop it cross court towards his backhand it flies off and seldom hits the corner, what do you think are the other waays in returning this serve that it wont pop up or it can be attacked easily, thanks
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2007 at 5:28am
Continue the spin, you might see Timo Boll or Chen Qi do this to the normal right handed pendulum serves. Just do the same motion they do when they push it.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2007 at 7:41pm
any other tips?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2007 at 8:13pm
If it's long enough to loop it then go for the loop every time. If your loop goes too long you have to spin harder and loop more forward. Don't make the mistake to loop more cautiously because you are afraid to miss. This is the worst mistake you can make. With this kind of shot you have to pay extra special attention to your blade side angle on contact. Make a clean topspin without sidespin.

Actually, this serve is not very smart for a lefty, and certainly not for a penholder lefty. You can totally put him out of position by playing a heavy sidespin loop that flies in in a semi circle and breaks hard and long to the extreme side of the table. This will continue the spin of his serve as TT_Freak has pointed out above. This shot might be a bit technical but it will give you a very big positional advantage. Let the ball fall more and then spin it as hard as you can with mostly sidespin and some topspin, but make it a soft loop to maximize the strong curve in order to drive him out of position.
redknight15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redknight15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2007 at 1:26am
sundan mo yung spin ng bola huwag pa kontra parang sa chop na tinop spin sabay tulak...
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2007 at 9:48am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

the only thing ive done to return it without him attcking it back was to brush it down the line to his forehand

As you seem to be doing above, Down the line with soft wrist, vertical racket, looking for flick or dropshot opportunities, yr opportunity comes on the next ball. I actually disagree alittle with YATTP here, in that i think its a classic lefty serve tactic provided its half long most of the time. of course I f hes letting you swing at it then hed better have a grreat block!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2007 at 5:31am
ok thanks for the replies, how bout if i hit the ball with an open racket like this --> | ?? it sometimes goes in i kinda flip it sometimes and goes in, is it ok?

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2007 at 8:53am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

ok thanks for the replies, how bout if i hit the ball with an open racket like this --> | ?? it sometimes goes in i kinda flip it sometimes and goes in, is it ok?

Thats what i call vertical.Its good to wipe it sideways a bit so that even if yr return is slow its difficult to attack. Soft wrist essential.
Sometimes return like this --> | but also at last second sometimes open more: \ (to do drop), or close more: / (to do flip)
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic